test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do you regret your first class choice?

whoamarkwhoamark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I chose to roll a TR from the start, my wife chose GWF.

Things were fine until 60, but it wasn't long until we discovered the difficult in gearing up for T2 dungeons. No doubt the reason being that there are far too many rogues and not enough groups that need a GWF. Everything in chat pertains to GF, DC or CW most of the time.

If we had our time back we would have rolled a CW and DC, which is precisely what we're doing now.

Do you regret what you first rolled? Or rather have you since rolled a class that you enjoy playing more?
Post edited by whoamark on

Comments

• Options
    bowdidlybowdidly Member Posts: 261 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Deja vu,

My first was a TR, realy enjoyed it at the time, i dont know why realy, i guess it 'looked' the most fun, this was way back in open beta, and when i hit 60 i started a CW , when that hit 60 i rolled a cleric, not with intentions of getting to 60, i just wanted to see how they played, but instantly loved it and still do.

I guess at first I was abit worried at how a Cleric would go in the many solo instances you go through while lvling up, but tbh i found them alot easier and had no problems at all. although i did use the man-at-arms companion (stacked with defence enchants) to keep agro off her, which worked realy well.

Now 7 lvl 60's later my mains are DC and CW, my TR is now my AH and bank alt, even though it is pretty well geared. LOL.

Out of them all i still think Cleric is the most fun not only to lvl up but also to play end game. i guess at first a 'healer' sounds maybe abit boring for some, but they are alot more than that. i have 3 60 clerics now, with slightly different builds, love playing them all.

Even though i dont play my TR no more, i dont regret making it, it learnt me abit about the game, plus its nice to know how other classes work.
  • Options
    aarrgg554aarrgg554 Member Posts: 51
    edited September 2013
    Assassins are always the most overplayed class because everyone wants to be the ninja. So that means there are going to be a shortage of healers and tanks in end game instances.
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I have always enjoyed DPS classes and ever since I heard they were making Neverwinter, I had my mind set on a Rogue.
    I rolled a Rogue back in closed beta and loved it and, surely enough, when open beta started I rolled a Rogue again. I also have a level 60 CW with decent gear, a level 40 GWF and a level 36 DC and I like all, but the I still find the TR the most fun to play.
    whoamark wrote: »
    Things were fine until 60, but it wasn't long until we discovered the difficult in gearing up for T2 dungeons. No doubt the reason being that there are far too many rogues and not enough groups that need a GWF. Everything in chat pertains to GF, DC or CW most of the time.

I had no problems gearing up and I am not really a hardcore player - I mostly play for fun. I know it takes a while to gather everything, but it's not that hard.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited September 2013
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Still love my DC even when I whine about the class and wouldn't change my roll for anything. ;)
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I Started with A CW, I have always been a caster person, and I never regretted it! I now have 1 of each at 60, a second CW (different power set up then the original) at 60, and working on a 2nd GF (first one was more DPS - this one is far more tanky) who is already 45. Even with 7 characters my original CW is the one I play the most. He has the best Soloability for my playstyle , and is still useful in groups. Cant wait to see the Warlock!
  • Options
    whoamarkwhoamark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    khimera906 wrote: »

I had no problems gearing up and I am not really a hardcore player - I mostly play for fun. I know it takes a while to gather everything, but it's not that hard.

Did you gear up your rogue before the BoP change?

I am finding it very difficult. T2 is so far out of my price range on the AH that it's not worth it and I've often gone the full hour of DD as of the past month without one queue pop or one response to my typical "10.4k TR LF T2" to which there's always a plethora of rogues with higher GS doing the same thing that I am. I've found better luck in forming my own groups. Since I'm only experienced with Pirate (over 30 runs), and 1 FH and 1 Karr run under my belt I tend to avoid trying to make my own groups for those ones.

In any case my CW is only level 18 and already I can tell that I'm going to enjoy playing it more.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I typically tend to drift to casters. So my first one was CW, and its still my favorite class. I didnt actually try a rogue till my third class. Its fun, but not nearly as much as my CW. Perhaps its simply a style choice. I prefer to blast rather then to be stab happy.

So far, ive played all but GWF and I enjoy them all to varying degrees. All play so uniquely differently that each one has its own little appeal for me.
  • Options
    fakatikfakatik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I always chose the rogue and buffer/off healer class in all my MMOs. Never regretted it.
    Two squishy classes which always require you to have a constant knowledge of your surroundings and ability to read your enemies' movements. Just love them.
    Aireina | Ashter | King Baldric | Oranges | Hello | Mikalin
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I play a Rogue, I have always liked to have tricks under my sleeve, and poisons, and stuns, and traps. it's more of a strategic fight than just beating up baddies.
    I'm just lv 42 but so far I've loved it a lot and I've enjoyed the game.
    I like Rogues more than Assassins, I prefer to be the annoying guy on the side than the silent killer, but not many games give us both options. When ranger is out I'll definitely give it a try.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    xunxanxunxan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Made toons in this order:
    DC, GWF, GF, CW, TR
    Play all of them still, except CW, which is just professions/invoke.

DC is funnest for me to play, but GF is close 2nd.
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My first class was a GWF. Was testing it out, and carefully thought out the character, for Rp purposes as well.

I've not yet gotten him to max level, with a bunch of other characters I have. I still play him on occasion. I've been relunctant to do much in terms of leveling him besides some arenas, prayer and foundary here and there due to waiting for people I play and Rp with.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    GF first, then a TR, didn't like TR so she doesn't get played much, then CW and DC which were both fun. Finally rolled a GWF, which I'm rather underwhelmed with.

GF and CW are my favorite.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    faerenifaereni Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I usually roll whatever I'm needed, as it's usually a friend or two that nudge me into a game to be in their party from the get-go. As such I'm usually playing some kind of support role, and since in some games that doesn't cater to solo-ability very well I usually pick something that can hold its own when my buddies inevitably get bored and move on. So pure support is usually spec'd so I can survive alone (My bard in FW, for instance had multi-tree powers.) In Allods I picked something with a summoned pet to help with being solo. My second time with Allods I picked the opposite faction and tried that side's summoner. It's healing ability was not as great... and pretty soon there was this joke about me being anti-heals. :P

SO! When NW rolled around and companions came with every class, I rolled a DC to go with the joke. It's not so funny since I actually do a decent job....

Anyway, I stopped playing her after a while, since I was trying hard not to over-level friends and rolled a CW to play while waiting on them. CW became the new main.

Now everyone's about caught up so I went back to the DC and got her up to snuff, while starting a third, a GWF. He is on stand-by as I only play him while a certain friend is on, till they've caught up at least.

All of our characters (or companions, even) are loosely based off of RP characters we write about elsewhere. So, I will eventually play all of them. :D Saving my 4th slot for the class(es) they unveil "by the end of the year". :)
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've always preferred the defensive nature of "sword and board" fighting, and I felt I was progressing rather well my first time through, as a GF. After slogging through so many enemies as a GF, however, I came to dislike the slower, plodding playstyle they offered. I went on to roll and level to 60, one of each class. All the other classes have much better maneuverability, and they are just more visually appealing to play, to boot.

While not the most desired on teams, I find my GWFs to be the most fun to play. They're tough, quick, do good damage, and put on a good show while you're playing them. Next comes my CW and DC - who offer the convenience of dishing out damage at range, while also offering some very useful buffs and debuffs. Last is the TR. There's no denying their coolness factor, and even though I leveled one to 60 on my own, I just can't seem to grasp the finer points of playing one...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    nerehnereh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I rolled a TR as my first character and I'm still playing her. My computer lags when there's a lot of people near me so sadly dungeons and PVP are either difficult or out of the question. Even so, I'm having great fun playing with the Foundry by myself. :D
  • Options
    kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Made a CW 1st. Got the T2 gear & moved to GF.
    Played a bit with CW recently & still having fun playing so, no, no regrets so far:)
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Started with a DC - and it is still my favourite class, despite everything...so, no - I do not regret the selection - what I do regret a tiny bit are the non-optimal choices I made when rolling the stats initially - I would actually be willing to pay a bit of $$$ for a chance to go back and re-roll those.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    neskolfneskolf Member Posts: 97
    edited September 2013
    Started as a GF and have no regrets about it. I tinkered with CWs and TRs in my second character slot during the first couple of weeks of play just to get a feel for them, as well. But I really couldn't get the hang of them.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    whoamark wrote: »
    Did you gear up your rogue before the BoP change?...

I got all the T1 gear before the BoP parch. Part of the T2 gear I got before BoP patch and some after. My gear score is about 1k more than yours. I realize it's more time consuming now cause you have to run dungeons for every piece of gear and the prices in the AH are insane compared to what they were before, but like I said it's not impossible - I bought the Ancient Spymaster Elegant Dagger for 740K a few days ago, which it's pretty much the same price it was going for before BoP patch. I find the process of gearing up a lot of fun, but I do realize for some it may fell like a chore.
    I have done a few T2 Dungeons, but Pirate King is the one players run more often and so do I.
    I also find the CW very enjoyable to play so I understand why you like it so much.
    Anyways, I was not trying to convince you to stick with your TR :) It's just the class I enjoy the most. It all depends on what's fun for you. Because if it's not fun, it's not worth playing, in my opinion.

Whichever class you pick, I wish you the best of luck.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I picked GWF first and foremost. Love the meathead approach. Found a good guild around 50 and never got many of the 60's woes that others have. Can't get into a PUG, though, but UnS runs a fair amount of DD's all day so usually we can have at least four players together if we want.

My second character, and the only one I've deleted so far, was a GF. Hated that one, though. Too **** slow for me.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Human DC was my first character since beta and during beta it was an amazing class due to its strong ability to tank. Constant aggro and threat management on top of keeping yourself and everyone alive with effective aoe of all kinds. It was the freshest rush I have ever had as a healing class in any MMO (including since WoW where I main'd Druid and Priest).

Then, a couple of major patches much later killed the DC as we knew it and it become the pitiful backseat healer, cherry-picking targetted heals, barely able to kite anything, fascimile that it is today. In addition, every major patch more and more of the class has become broken ending up in Feywild where nominally BiS gear has huge amount of stats that cannot be used by the class, broken key feats, broken key spells, massive nerfs to damage and AP-gain and therefore aoe spells, etc.

Sometime in late beta, I made a Tiefling CW and not only did I hugely enjoy levelling the class (had enough income from my Cleric to gear it to the teeth with augment class pet etc.), but every major patch since that destroyed the Cleric only served to improve my CW! Therefore, that class became my main and I used it to complete all the content in the game and all achievements I could lay my hands on, many of which are difficult on a Cleric (Executioner, Paingiver, Headhunter, Bloodthirsty, etc). The only remaining achievements being castrated due to everyone else in my mid-sized guild leaving the game pre-Feywild and never returning...

After doing that, I made an Orc GF (after the class got its damage buffed in a major patch), and levelled up almost as quick as my CW and made it my PvP alt. I found it very enjoyable and to this day when I still log in to the game at all, this is the class I play.

The only other class I considered making was a TR alt, but to get the most from it in both PvE and PvP is highly costly and post-Feywild, levelling and farming all over again from scratch at a far lower rate than before is not appealing at all. I would rather save all that effort and existing income for a later date, if Cryptic ever introduced a new class...
  • Options
    stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    My first toon in Neverwinter is a Cleric. Its still the class I like playing best for groups. Solo its facesmashingly annoying but because I want to keep it on par I'm forced to do the solo stuff in Feywild. As much as possible I try to group with people.

I don't regret it, I still think I made the right choice for what I want to do as endgame: play in groups, play one of the tougher roles and get some satisfaction from it.
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My first class for a DC, because I like to be able to heal myself...and of course they made the class sound a lot cooler than it turned out to be after all their "fixes." I don't regret the choice, I still enjoy the class, but playing the other classes as well, I have more fun on my CW.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    my first was the GWF and i shortly after discovered that it was the "useless" class. but i kept her and she's not doing too bad. my second was a CW and she became my main, although i find myself playing both.

i think i have good days and bad days with my characters. i have five, three at 60 and two working their way there. the only character i've considered deleting is my GF because i'm not too keen on the shield mechanic. but... so far she's still around.
  • Options
    hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    My first one was CW, because I love magic/intellect... and... it's still my main.

Tbh I didn't know that CWs were very required, and I think it's right. I have played some MMOs that made Mages/Wizards as 100% DPS and no utility. At least I'm seeing this right here. Also CWs are not that all on PvP so I don't see problem with us.

BUT I hate the HV bonus... yes, it's OP but it's buggy and I want SW to have better status (HV normal status are terrible). Using HV is mandatory and I hate this.

To make TRs and GWFs more important, this game should get a boss Berserk or something like that. W/o it you can make an endless battle with only GFs and DCs. Or, at least, make one of their powers mandatory to kill a boss.

I think there are a lot of stuff to organize on dungeons yet, the mechanics are very incomplete to my PoV.
    (´・ ω ・`)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    my first was the GWF and i shortly after discovered that it was the "useless" class...

I find my GWF a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of fun. The problem with GWF is that they don't have a specific role in parties but in single player they are a blast to play. I still have a bit of work before I get mine to max level, but, since I got a cleric companion, I find myself plowing through mobs and just bullying every boss so far.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My first was a TR because the acrobatic guy with daggers was the closest thing available to the combat-bard I would usually choose to play first. I don't regret it at all. He's loads of fun to play.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My first was a DC. My only regret on making him is that a change to the amount of AP the class could generate reduced his ability to function. I haven't yet bothered trying to fix what a game change broke so my use of him has greatly declined. I still keep him around though, and will likely get to reworking him some day, when my related annoyance declines.
  • Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    GWF from Day 1, named LEEROY JENKINS!!!

chicken_regret_nothing.gif
    va8Ru.gif