test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Improving Dungeons: Dungeon Delve Keys

lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
I'm going to focus this post on one of the many ways our current dungeons can be improved. As with all of these idea threads I make, I make no claim to owning the idea. I've heard others suggest it, thought it was great, and put my mind to trying to make it as reasonably applicable as possible while maintaining balance and the tone of the game.

Be aware that I believe such mechanics as loot drops, NPC AI, class imbalances and chest rewards are all component issues that have caused a failure in Neverwinters dungeon system. I will only address one of those concerns here, however.

Dungeon Delves

Dungeon Delves, or DD's, are a time-gated server-wide event that reward an individual player with a chest at the end of a long, drawn out and often difficult group-focused PvE encounter. The time for dungeon delves is on a rotating schedule for each day of the week in what appears to be an attempt to allow multiple time-zones to play together. As the event is time-gated, it also focuses on forcing more players into the queue for the event during that time, thus ensuring some level of playability even on smaller servers.

The Reward

As DD's are the primary (only?) source of T1 and T2 PvE gear, in a very gear-focused game, it is often required for a new player to either buy gear from another player who has run the dungeon in question during a DD event, or run the dungeon themselves during said event. As the bind-on-pickup changes have recently been made, there are far fewer items to be bought, and thus more requirement for the player to actually run the event in order to remain competitive.

The Issue
As dungeons are quite long and can take upwards of an hour or more to complete at times, the time-gate method of DD's can actually have a negative effect on player completion. As many players from all walks of lives and with varying schedules have found issue with the actual timing of the events, it's easily recognized that the time-gated principle, while awesome in idea form and as a bonus reward for queue and bringing players together, also hinders many from acquiring gear in a very gear-focused game.

The Proposed Solution
Keys, much like the lair keys in Sharandar zones. Players receive one free keys a day in which they can open the end chest of any dungeon, T1 or T2, whether there is a DD event or not. More keys can be acquired by various means. To prevent abuse and exploitation each dungeon would have a limit of two for the number of chests a single player could open in said dungeon each day.

Acquiring Keys
Using the Vault of Piety and Ardent Favor tokens, players can spend one token for one key, allowing the player to acquire at least one extra key per day. As well, players can spend 5k AD and 1 gold for another key.

Not Removing Dungeon Delves
Dungeon Delve time is not removed, however, and instead of rewarding the bonus chest, average drops during the dungeons are littered with higher level gear, enchants, and a possible rare green ward or extremely rare blue ward.

A Whole Rebuilt Dungeon System

This idea of adding keys to the dungeon system to expand on the DD events is just one part of a fully conceptualized dungeon rebuild, which could easily expand the purpose, re playability and enjoyment of the dungeon system of Neverwinter.

Other Ideas

Improving Dungeons: Skill Based Activities
"Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
Post edited by lobo0084 on

Comments

• ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    This isn't a bad idea. It would certainly remove the time constraint that many of us face in being able to actually do a dungeon during a Delve period.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fermifermi Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hm. Keys would aid one aspect - delimiting time frames for people with cramped schedules, but it would hinder the other aspect - getting many people to participate at one time who might otherwise be doing different things. Of the two, I suspect the second is actually the more important one, since unless you can get a half-way competent team it doesn't matter HOW many chests there are at the end because you aren't getting them. In fact, I can't help but feel that second part would be the better side of the problem to focus on.

This was why I preferred unbound equipment myself. People who enjoyed the content could do the content and get some reward from it, and people who didn't enjoy the content could do other content and use those rewards to get the gear they wanted. Cryptic's unfortunate decision about binding is now making these other problems that much more serious. If we all HAVE to do high-level dungeons, even people who may not have guilds, friends online, or tons of time, then how is that going to be managed?

If Cryptic doesn't come up with something, they'll be left with only a core of hardcore players and maybe not even them when the others go.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I really like the idea of a 'Dungeon Delve Key'.

As long as the regular timed DD event exists, however, people will still rush to finish them as quickly as possible, by any means. The timed event should either be removed, or make it so while it is running, the so-called "trash mobs" can grant seals or something. I don't know if I'd have them directly drop pieces of T1 or T2 gear, though. Maybe for every so many trash mobs killed, each player gets a random AD box, which has some amount of AD in it...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I would very much prefer daily keys that I could use when I want rather than having to wait until delves to run dungeons.
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    As DD's are the primary (only?) source of T1 and T2 PvE gear, in a very gear-focused game, it is often required for a new player to either buy gear from another player who has run the dungeon in question during a DD event, or run the dungeon themselves during said event. As the bind-on-pickup changes have recently been made, there are far fewer items to be bought, and thus more requirement for the player to actually run the event in order to remain competitive.
    Everything that drops from DD chest drops from bosses, but in a vastly superior BOE form. The only way to buy the gear from another player is if it is BOE, which has nothing to do with DD event. In fact, while it's just anecdotal observations (haven't collected a huge amount of data on the subject) but it seems that boss loot is better during non-dd events rather than during DD.
  • lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    fermi wrote: »
    Hm. Keys would aid one aspect - delimiting time frames for people with cramped schedules, but it would hinder the other aspect - getting many people to participate at one time who might otherwise be doing different things. Of the two, I suspect the second is actually the more important one, since unless you can get a half-way competent team it doesn't matter HOW many chests there are at the end because you aren't getting them. In fact, I can't help but feel that second part would be the better side of the problem to focus on.

This was why I preferred unbound equipment myself. People who enjoyed the content could do the content and get some reward from it, and people who didn't enjoy the content could do other content and use those rewards to get the gear they wanted. Cryptic's unfortunate decision about binding is now making these other problems that much more serious. If we all HAVE to do high-level dungeons, even people who may not have guilds, friends online, or tons of time, then how is that going to be managed?

If Cryptic doesn't come up with something, they'll be left with only a core of hardcore players and maybe not even them when the others go.

I agree and see the issue you point out. Timing is more about gating players into the same events than the rewards, per se. The idea of maintaining a secondary reward, I hoped, would continue to gate players who could run in that direction.

That said, I personally quit running with PUG's altogether. The idea as I present it would greatly benefit premades and those with less time, but I sincerely doubt it would completely remove the purpose of the time-gated DD event, as many of us would probably still wait till then for the chance at a ward or higher level enchant.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

• galantdramongalantdramon Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Heck yeah, the delve times are a massive pain to try and get all my friends together, as many work, some have families, etc...having a key we pick up and can use whenever, would muchly improve things.

Although I'd say only one key per day, not two, with an option to buy for AD's and Gold, much like the Sharandar "dark key"s, would be better, in that it would keep things similar to current setups.
    edited September 2013
    Everything that drops from DD chest drops from bosses, but in a vastly superior BOE form. The only way to buy the gear from another player is if it is BOE, which has nothing to do with DD event. In fact, while it's just anecdotal observations (haven't collected a huge amount of data on the subject) but it seems that boss loot is better during non-dd events rather than during DD.

If you could provide evidence to that, I'm sure you'd see a remarkable number of dungeons being run by all kinds of players. Currently the mindset is that if you don't run it during DD, you don't get anything. Plus, the random 'pick your item' option in chests isn't something to ignore, either.

• inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You are asking me to provide "evidence" that the game works the way it already works, which will result in dungeons being run by players of all types all the time ignoring DD timer, which is what already occurs in game?

edit: oh you mean drop rate is better on non-dd? that's the way it seems from everyone i know who runs dungeons.
    edited September 2013
    Heck yeah, the delve times are a massive pain to try and get all my friends together, as many work, some have families, etc...having a key we pick up and can use whenever, would muchly improve things.

Although I'd say only one key per day, not two, with an option to buy for AD's and Gold, much like the Sharandar "dark key"s, would be better, in that it would keep things similar to current setups.

The reason I chose two is because, on a good day, I can personally attend two or three DD runs. I know that many, if not most, players have a hard time attending one. But there are those who could attend every DD in a day. I felt that two was a good median to meet at, honestly.

edited September 2013
    You are asking me to provide "evidence" that the game works the way it already works, which will result in dungeons being run by players of all types all the time ignoring DD timer, which is what already occurs in game?

Hmm. You make it sound so confrontational.

I won't deny that players run dungeons all day long, as I have and many others have. I have not noticed any noticeable increase in drop rate, though, and have found that many of my runs are complete wastes outside of DD because I have received the option to pick my gear and used it to my advantage.

My own opinion would change if either I had noticed the trend myself, or had some facts laid on the table. Don't take this as questioning your honesty, just as making an observation that a little derived evidence, which you hinted at in your first reply, would go a long way.

• marnivalmarnival Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The first change i would like to see it is *REMOVE THE FREAKING CAP TO INVITE NEW PLAYERS IN DUNGEONS*!!!
    If it is to prevent people from kicking others from group add a timer to deny being kicked so if you afk for to long you can be kicked (like 5 min timer or something).
    How many times havent somebody gone link-dead, left couse of whatever reason, rage quit etc etc and the HOLE group had to leave the dungeon.

Why even force 5 players to enter let from 2-5 players enter allow preclearing etc etc the number of adds (if you do it the right way, not mady do) are more then enough to make you wanna scream if you do dungeons on regular basis.

Not that i think key example is bad in any way ).
  • surrencysurrency Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This is an awesome idea and should be implemented immediately.

I'd also love to see some of the dungeons toned down a bit. My guild likes to battle through the dungeon rather than do suicide runs from one campfire to the next but DPSing through something like spellplague can take 2 more hours even with an extremely high DPS group. And it's boring. There's no challenge to it, it's just grinding through the enemies ridiculous amount of hitpoints for hours on end. Reducing the overall hitpoints on some of the mobs and reducing the overall number of mobs wouldn't decrease the challenge but would allow you to get to the end without being bored out of your skull. Leave the bosses alone if you like but do something to decrease travel time between bosses.
  • giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yes, Just give us one key a day. I believe the number of people who want to run dungeons will increase exponentially. Many have alts, and many will run multiple dungeons a day, instead of just 1. The queues/LFG channel will be constantly full.

Guilds will be able to form consistent groups for dungeons, those who are on at around the same time will be able to run dungeons when they are ready, not have the chance to run a dungeon because they all happen to log on when the DD is up, These timers need to be done away with asap.
  • cloud990plcloud990pl Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    That's the best idea ever posted in this forum ever.
  • gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I second this. Regular forum readers know that I am highly critical of the dungeon system. Cryptic had to insert ridiculous rewards to draw players into them. Hacking your way through hundreds of amped up adds is just not fun. BOP split the shrinking pool of DD participants further - where you have the underboss farmers who never complete, and full runners who are now forced to keep or salvage any of the final chest loot that might be available. WHOOPEE.

I find it a shame that the 'Dungeons' of this 'D&D' game provide such a negative experience for so many players that we just don't participate. It's especially hard on new players, with that first LVL 60, gung ho and charging in, suddenly finding exploiters, farmers, quitters, or getting overwhelmed by vast numbers of adds with seemingly endless HPs. I don't see running off potential long term paying customers as good business.

+10 to the OP
  • cloud990plcloud990pl Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    gek1956 wrote: »
    I second this. Regular forum readers know that I am highly critical of the dungeon system. Cryptic had to insert ridiculous rewards to draw players into them. Hacking your way through hundreds of amped up adds is just not fun. BOP split the shrinking pool of DD participants further - where you have the underboss farmers who never complete, and full runners who are now forced to keep or salvage any of the final chest loot that might be available. WHOOPEE.

I find it a shame that the 'Dungeons' of this 'D&D' game provide such a negative experience for so many players that we just don't participate. It's especially hard on new players, with that first LVL 60, gung ho and charging in, suddenly finding exploiters, farmers, quitters, or getting overwhelmed by vast numbers of adds with seemingly endless HPs. I don't see running off potential long term paying customers as good business.

+10 to the OP

Problem with exploiters lies in dungeons themselves, which at current state are typical MMO instances with OP mobs and insane ammount of adds at every boss. I can understand few waves as boss hp goes down but constant waves? Come on! D&D should have better dungeons than that, with shortcuts (legit), choice how to deal with mobs (some activators that would annihilate them), bosses with tactics so fights would be not only hard but also entertaining (if someone thinks that current boss fights are entertaining then he must have 0 imagination) and rewards for everyone (OP idea is good step forward).
  • wockysanwockysan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Players queue during DD because it is the only sensible time to queue. Certainly, this would "force" players together. Remaining rational shows the glass half empty however. Not only does DD prevent 60's from queuing when inactive (hrs on end) but it prevents 60's from logging on at all. 60 = tiered gear. Tiered gear = progression. Naturally, people don't play when they can't progress. *Log on. DD not active. Press n. click click. log off*

lvl 60 is a time management game from zynga. lol

Why ask for a workaround when you can ask for DD to be removed entirely. It's flat out bogus.

:::Patch:::
    removed Dungeon Delves
    converted all items to Bind on Equip
    fixed queue system
    queue system now works as intended
    fixed player progression
    added 18 types of currency
    spoke to wizard
    asked for brain
    wait, he's just a man?
    added mount to zen market
    added zen rewards
    added zen companion
    added zen sales event
    p.s. zen
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Just to change the OPs idea a little. To unlock the chest at the end of a dungeon, require 3 keys. Have these keys drop randomly from the mobs, skill nods, or chests within the dungeon. A couple of dungeons could a puzzle which rewards a key. That way the chest could be unlocked at any time, plus it would stop some of the speed runs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • raptorskyfireraptorskyfire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    As I usually have a few hours to play on occasion, sometimes Dungeon Delves doesn't come up when I'm on, and I'd love to run with my guildmates when DD is on to help them gear up. The keys would be an excellent idea and helpful for those that want to get gear, but don't want to wait til every DD is up to get it, it would be nice to go at one's own leisure for it.

I like ordensmarschall's idea of the keys dropping randomly. This would stop the people who just run past all the mobs to the end boss for the chest.
    Part of Storm-Shore, a RP/PvE guild. http://www.stormshore.com/

I have many alts, I am a class and race rainbow.
  • xmachinaxmachina Member Posts: 54
    edited September 2013
    Not a bad idea, but think long term.

No one wants to buy a key to unlock a chest that may give them a useless item for less than the cost of the key. I foresee this being a major problem dependent upon the cost of said keys. If the chest were guaranteed to hand out their set of armor when using a key, that would be useless also since it would remove the incentive to group up and do the dungeon after acquiring a specific set piece. Limiting the amount of time a person can receive an item from the chest while using keys removes the incentive to purchase keys.

Almost there.

marnival wrote: »
    The first change i would like to see it is *REMOVE THE FREAKING CAP TO INVITE NEW PLAYERS IN DUNGEONS*!!!

Maybe I'm reading your wording wrong, but it would be nice if an instance dungeon were able to replace any player that was not kicked without being disconnected ; a player that instead of finishing the dungeon left or rage quit (exit) would be replaced. However, I would disagree with inviting players into a dungeon.
  • xabersedgexabersedge Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I don't see any loss of incentive. I run dungeons because I enjoy them, and I can ALWAYS find someone that has an actual need to run said dungeon. There will never be a short of people wanting to run the dungeon in either case (for gear or for fun). I do agree that a key allowance and the purchase of keys is contradictory from a business stand point. For the gamer's POV, at least one key per day is pure candy. If you get freebies, keep it to just 1 and maybe the need to get it through celestial coin purchase, so 1 a week (if cost 7). From a business standpoint (since PWE loves the good ol' bend em over the fence routine), I think the reward would be almost akin to that of a lockbox, since we are talking garaunteed epic. As such the cost should be akin as well, since its purple promised, the cost should only be slightly higher than a lb key. 150 -175 is not a hard amount to gain though AD conversion. That helps the player and the business.
    sunElf_Rogue.png
  • filcfilc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I don't like the idea. Let me explain.

I play every day after 7pm so so on some days I don't have DD event. Idea of "key" is tempting, coz it would give me an option to have mine "DD event" every time i want, BUT ...

DD event is not here to get guarantee loot for me. DD event is here to compress "interest" to one hour, so you can actually run that dungeon with PUG group. Maybe I'm selfish, but actually I don't want others to run dungeon in diff hours. It would lower my chance to get group.

So, no. As much as I like the idea to run and get DD reward anytime I want, I prefer higher chance to get group in specified time.
  • yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    such a system is highly needed:

1. you can basically only queue for dungeons when dd is up. even worse for everyone under 60.
    2. if you could not find a group after 5 minutes when dd started you might sit there waiting the rest of the time without a queue popping up.
    3. the timeframes at the moment are against anyone that is working in real life.
    4. some dungeons make only sense to run during dd time. for others to learn there aren't enough players queue to pop it. like spider - why would anyone run THIS dungeon other than dd times???
    5. when you have alts you play occassionally you have to decide if you waste your timing waiting for the queue on your main or on one of your alts. you definitely miss a lot of opportunities to join then.

keys should be given out like any other daily quest with a time reset if you have used one to get another key. would be quite easy to implement. if you have a key while in a dungeon you could use it. otherwise you can run the dungeon but won't be able to unlock the chest.
  • indolo238indolo238 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited September 2013
    I support the key idea. With my work schedule, I'm lucky to get into a dungeon during delve hour 2 or 3 times a week. Most of the delve hours, even with Cryptic's shifting schedule, fall into my work or sleep times. With keys, I could run them with my guildmates whenever convenient and enjoy the game.
  • psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    xabersedge wrote: »
    I don't see any loss of incentive. I run dungeons because I enjoy them, and I can ALWAYS find someone that has an actual need to run said dungeon. There will never be a short of people wanting to run the dungeon in either case (for gear or for fun). I do agree that a key allowance and the purchase of keys is contradictory from a business stand point. For the gamer's POV, at least one key per day is pure candy. If you get freebies, keep it to just 1 and maybe the need to get it through celestial coin purchase, so 1 a week (if cost 7). From a business standpoint (since PWE loves the good ol' bend em over the fence routine), I think the reward would be almost akin to that of a lockbox, since we are talking garaunteed epic. As such the cost should be akin as well, since its purple promised, the cost should only be slightly higher than a lb key. 150 -175 is not a hard amount to gain though AD conversion. That helps the player and the business.

Hmmm, Interesting concept. Perhaps this is a compromise for those who like the DD system as it is, and those who agree with the OP.

This could be a better use for Ardent Coins, and/or the various Lion, Manticore, Pegasus, Unicorn Seals. Say, something like 5 Ardent Coins, and one or two of each of the Seals gets you a key? A Key that can be used anytime, and not just during a DD, and give the same bonus.

It would give people a reason to run other dungeons to get the various Seals too... Especially, if certain Dungeons only gave one type of Seal, and to acquire a full set, you would have to run each of them at least once or twice to collect enough seals for a Key.

As it stands now, Ardent Coins are a waste, unless you play for half a year or so. The Seals are an even bigger waste, as most people seem to leave them lying on the ground in Dungeon Runs.
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
  • xabersedgexabersedge Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    As I have seen, it doesn't really do anything to push mass amounts of players into the queue. If people are gonna play, they will, simple as that. Too often I have sat in the queue until the last 5 or so seconds and gotten in by the skin of my teeth. DD doesn't mean that much unless you are that one piece away from finishing a set, or some such. Right now queues are dropping universally because of the broken system, exploiting players, bad drops regardless of DD. When you get a DD and your gear is still a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> blue that barely (if at all) beats out your current gear, there isn't really a point. And no, the epic piece is not guaranteed, which is very sad. Hence the need for the key that would give a promised purple.
    sunElf_Rogue.png
  • krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    xmachina wrote: »
    Not a bad idea, but think long term.

No one wants to buy a key to unlock a chest that may give them a useless item for less than the cost of the key...

I think having a daily quest actually GIVE you a key would be a great idea!!! people would actually run DD all the time, instead of noone (practically) plays oustide DD hours at all, except for rings and exploit fast runs.

Forcing groups to actually kill a set number of adds in a map in order to unlock the chest/or enable epic loot drops from boss would also be a solution to map exploits...
  • vallivvalliv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    +10
    I've seen similar suggestions before.
    I hardly ever get the time to do the DD, even when i have allot of online time, It is rare that I get the time to be at the computer for the long time the DD requires.
    and when i do have the time, DD just ended or something similar.. quite annoying. (curse of having a life).....

I like the idea of DD (event timers) but it's rare I can fix my time on the specific times. so a Key would suit me better specially since it's a Bind on pickup anyhow.
  • cbrowne0329cbrowne0329 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    To make the dungeons a little more interesting. They could also add random mini boss spawns that drop T1-T2 gear... in fact... make it only happen during NON-Delves. This will give people a reason to learn the dungeons other than trying to gear up just durign the delves.

Or hell instead of just random... make it a number of monsters killed = one of 12 different rares spawn... each you have to get to in a certtain time period... who always drops a rare item.

Just something... something to make the dungeons more interesting ALL the time. blegh DDO spoiled me. I wish I could combine mechanics from DDO with this combat system. I would be truly happy then.
This discussion has been closed.