test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

((T2)) Thaumaturge Spec/Powers/Role

1161718192022»

Comments

• strahdgunstrahdgun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    As said, I didn't test BP, only CP, but neither tabbed COI nor IT did show a damage increase with CP slotted, when i tested them in rotation. I only assume that the same is true for BP. Both BP and CP are certainly very valuable in PVP or singe target situations to boost Chill Strike, Ice Rays or Ice Knife. My remarks only applied to PVE AOE damage.

Whoa, Chilling Presence isn't working with CoI or IT? That seems like a big bug and would make it an almost useless passive since it would only be applying to your other 2 spells if you're using those to maintain chill stacks.
  • uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    As said, I didn't test BP, only CP, but neither tabbed COI nor IT did show a damage increase with CP slotted, when i tested them in rotation. [...]
    How did you do your tests?
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community
  • uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    I haven't been playing NW for a at least a week now and it doesn't look like I will be returning to it any time soon. [...] Thank you all and good luck.
    I assumed that much, as I haven't read from you for a couple of days. Take care and have fun, whereever the road is leading you to!
  • nethreldrasnethreldras Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I did 5 test runs, 1 to establish my base damage for the spells i mentioned, 3 for Evocation, Wizards Wrath and Focused Wizardry, 1 for Chilling Presence. In each test i spammed my setup on the dummies (side room) for about 5 minutes, trying to cast encounters and the daily as soon they where available. Afterwards I compared the computed crit neutral values for the average damage reported by ACT.

1. Establishing base damage with no feats feated, Orb of Imposition and Storm Fury as passives (the two most likely not to affect damage)

2. No feats feated, OOI and Evocation as passives
    -Oppressive Force, Icy Terrain, Steal Time: 113.5 - 117.7 % of base damage
    -Chilling Cloud: 108%
    -Conduit of Ice (Spell Mastery), Sudden Storm: 97.6-103.8%

3. Wizards Wrath, Focused Wizardry feated, OOI and SF as passives, other feat points in feats most likely not to influence damage Toughness etc., nothing feated beyond FW
    -OF, IT, ST, SS, COI (SM): 112.5-117.4 %
    -CC: 110.5%

4. Wizards Wrath, Focused Wizardry feated, OOI and Evocation as passives, other feat points as above
    -OF, IT, ST: 130-136.5 %
    -CC: 124.5 %
    -COI (SM), SS: 113.5-115%

I know the test conditions aren't perfect (who would like to test encounters individually and differentiate between the different damage ticks), but i think we can conclude with reasonable safety, that WW and FW affect all tested powers, while Evocation does not affect COI and SS. The lower numbers for CC should be due to the fact that only the third hit counts as an AOE.

I've to admit, I'm not so sure about the Chilling Presence test, as some of my numbers are rather strange and I've nothing to check them against. At time of my tests (August 28.) chill stacks were still bugged. You would kill the dummies if you spammed CC on them with CP slotted. After about 3 minutes the damage of CC started to rise almost linearly when chill stacks where never broken. Only IT seemed to break chill stacks (RoF probably too, but i didn't check that). You killed the dummies even faster, when you used COI in between. This was after the patch that was supposed to fix the CC/CP/FPT bug.

5. Chilling Presence, OOI as passives, feats as above (with WW and FW)
    -COI (SM), IT, SS, OF: 113.6-118.9% of base damage
    -CC: 124.7 %
    -ST: 138 % !!!!!

As said, strange. The numbers for SS, OF and CC are as expected. The first two shouldn't be affected by CP and aren't (damage increase is solely due to WW and FW), while CC is affected at an average of about 4 stacks of chill (reasonable).

Surprisingly neither COI (SM) nor IT seem to be affected by CP (damage increase only due to WW and WF). But as COI (tabbed) is a strange bird and has it's own internal CP/BP comparable mechanism build in, that's perhaps not so surprising after all. I'm not sure though, what to conclude about IT, and my remark in the previous post was rather rash. IT is usually cast to apply chill stacks and chill stacks are usually broken when it is recast, so it's perhaps quite natural not to see any damage increase for IT itself when it is used in rotation. My test setup doesn't permit the conclusion, that IT itself is not affected by CP. It only shows that it's unlikely that the damage dealt with COI or IT is substantially improved by CP.

I've absolutely no idea what to do with the Steal Time number. It might be a strange bug, but could simply be a transcription error. I never had the time to repeat those tests.
    edited September 2013
    @nethreldras, thank you for the info. How did you defined the base damage? I asume, that you didn't choose any feats in the paragon path, that correct?
  • nethreldrasnethreldras Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The base damage is the crit neutral average damage the powers dealt with my attributes (24, 15, 21), gear (2 arch/2 focal, yep measly T1 ;), shard orb, no weapon enchant) and stats (about 3k power, if i remember rightly), no feats feated, OOI and Storm Fury as passives, computed from the average damage ACT reported after spamming the powers on the dummies for about 5 minutes - same way the other test runs were done. In none of the test runs any paragon paths where feated.
    edited September 2013
    Thank you very much, again. Interesting. Not sure what I should think about the dummy test--I normally do field tests--and not sure what I should think about the mixture of the powers--as they do sometimes depend on each other. Maybe I'm going to do some tests of my own again...
  • tokse2tokse2 Member Posts: 117 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I did 5 test runs, 1 to establish my base damage for the spells i mentioned, 3 for Evocation, Wizards Wrath and Focused Wizardry, 1 for Chilling Presence. In each test i spammed my setup on the dummies (side room) for about 5 minutes, trying to cast encounters and the daily as soon they where available. Afterwards I compared the computed crit neutral values for the average damage reported by ACT.

1. Establishing base damage with no feats feated, Orb of Imposition and Storm Fury as passives (the two most likely not to affect damage)

2. No feats feated, OOI and Evocation as passives
    -Oppressive Force, Icy Terrain, Steal Time: 113.5 - 117.7 % of base damage
    -Chilling Cloud: 108%
    -Conduit of Ice (Spell Mastery), Sudden Storm: 97.6-103.8%

3. Wizards Wrath, Focused Wizardry feated, OOI and SF as passives, other feat points in feats most likely not to influence damage Toughness etc., nothing feated beyond FW
    -OF, IT, ST, SS, COI (SM): 112.5-117.4 %
    -CC: 110.5%

4. Wizards Wrath, Focused Wizardry feated, OOI and Evocation as passives, other feat points as above
    -OF, IT, ST: 130-136.5 %
    -CC: 124.5 %
    -COI (SM), SS: 113.5-115%

I know the test conditions aren't perfect (who would like to test encounters individually and differentiate between the different damage ticks), but i think we can conclude with reasonable safety, that WW and FW affect all tested powers, while Evocation does not affect COI and SS. The lower numbers for CC should be due to the fact that only the third hit counts as an AOE.

I've to admit, I'm not so sure about the Chilling Presence test, as some of my numbers are rather strange and I've nothing to check them against. At time of my tests (August 28.) chill stacks were still bugged. You would kill the dummies if you spammed CC on them with CP slotted. After about 3 minutes the damage of CC started to rise almost linearly when chill stacks where never broken. Only IT seemed to break chill stacks (RoF probably too, but i didn't check that). You killed the dummies even faster, when you used COI in between. This was after the patch that was supposed to fix the CC/CP/FPT bug.

5. Chilling Presence, OOI as passives, feats as above (with WW and FW)
    -COI (SM), IT, SS, OF: 113.6-118.9% of base damage
    -CC: 124.7 %
    -ST: 138 % !!!!!

As said, strange. The numbers for SS, OF and CC are as expected. The first two shouldn't be affected by CP and aren't (damage increase is solely due to WW and FW), while CC is affected at an average of about 4 stacks of chill (reasonable).

Surprisingly neither COI (SM) nor IT seem to be affected by CP (damage increase only due to WW and WF). But as COI (tabbed) is a strange bird and has it's own internal CP/BP comparable mechanism build in, that's perhaps not so surprising after all. I'm not sure though, what to conclude about IT, and my remark in the previous post was rather rash. IT is usually cast to apply chill stacks and chill stacks are usually broken when it is recast, so it's perhaps quite natural not to see any damage increase for IT itself when it is used in rotation. My test setup doesn't permit the conclusion, that IT itself is not affected by CP. It only shows that it's unlikely that the damage dealt with COI or IT is substantially improved by CP.

I've absolutely no idea what to do with the Steal Time number. It might be a strange bug, but could simply be a transcription error. I never had the time to repeat those tests.
    Wow, I really regret picking Learned Spellcaster instead of Focused Wizardry and Wizard's Wrath now...
  • dpskanedpskane Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2013
    i have one question about the spec....
    it says 0 points in orb of imposition. which you gain automatically at lvl 4/5.

i never used respec, so i'd like to ask whether the respec also resets those first points that have been set automatically?
    but i guess one still has to first reach 20 spent points before one can increase a power to rank 3, right?
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dpskane wrote: »
    i have one question about the spec....
    it says 0 points in orb of imposition. which you gain automatically at lvl 4/5.

i never used respec, so i'd like to ask whether the respec allow you to omit the orb then?

No. It is a typical external NW Power calculator mistake. There is no way to not have at least one point in the first five Powers.
  • dpskanedpskane Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2013
    ah, many thanks :)
    edited November 2013
    No, the respec does not reset/change that game mechanic.
  • algolmuirgenalgolmuirgen Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I respec'd and changed from Renegade to Oppressor and wish now I'd went Thaum. I'm so confused about what to do that's best for a CW that's alone facing things in Sharandar 50% of the time and the other 50% with others in dungeons. I occas. do PvP. Mostly PvE. Can anyone give me a decent synergistic run on what to focus on? If you go all chill, you get half of the mobs immune and then you hit mages who are immune to Arcane Mastery. I do enjoy SS and RoF with EF for grabbing the baddies, but I'm looking for what would be best when a CW is running half-time alone, half-time with a group w/occas. PvP. I have Gladiator gear and a Shard (what can I say, it's the best I can do at the moment).
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I respec'd and changed from Renegade to Oppressor and wish now I'd went Thaum. I'm so confused about what to do that's best for a CW that's alone facing things in Sharandar 50% of the time and the other 50% with others in dungeons. I occas. do PvP. Mostly PvE. Can anyone give me a decent synergistic run on what to focus on? If you go all chill, you get half of the mobs immune and then you hit mages who are immune to Arcane Mastery. I do enjoy SS and RoF with EF for grabbing the baddies, but I'm looking for what would be best when a CW is running half-time alone, half-time with a group w/occas. PvP. I have Gladiator gear and a Shard (what can I say, it's the best I can do at the moment).

You don't need any special build for solo play. Mostly anything will do, just AoE everything down. Also Oppressor is basically purely PvP, the path brings almost nothing useful in dungeons. Arcane mastery immunity? Maybe you misunderstood this somehow? Arcane stacks develop on YOU as you cast Arcane spells, not like Chill that develops on enemies.

These being said, you can play Oppressor in dungeons, but your damage will be significantly lower.
  • brazennlbrazennl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited December 2013
    I've been using this spec when it came out, but have been away for a while. Is this still current, or have patches moved us in another direction?
  • xkai04xkai04 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Good Day sir. is this build ok for New playerS? like starting at Level. 1 ? Leveling and low level pvp? :)
  • kupocygirl21kupocygirl21 Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2014
    Total newb here; I just started yesterday and I want to know is this build still helpful? I love the element ice thats why I chose wiz.
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I would check out Ghrima's or Stx's build, and when you get to 60, start looking for a Frost enchant for an interesting effect and to stick with your theme.
This discussion has been closed.