What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Problem downloading patch

Comments

• Options
    rylansmulerylansmule Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I love all the people pointing out that it's the middle of the school day.....in America.

Global game guys. It's peak time in Europe!
  • Options
    vladdry5vladdry5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    have 45% abov 40 min. T_T
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm have just 50 mb left to patch and it's taking forever, it's stuck on the same % :(
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    all of you ppl complaining about slow patch speeds should be ashamed of yourselves. i know most, if not all of you nerdy gamer types understand networking and how that magical thing called bandwidth works. oh wait... that's right. at the first sight of anything to complain about concerning cryptic or pwe, ten threads must be opened and this company must be crucified for all of their transgressions. my bad.
  • Options
    bkloesbkloes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    rylansmule wrote: »
    I love all the people pointing out that it's the middle of the school day.....in America.

Good point:) shame on me:) Its funny that everyone is stuck around 40% (raised eyebrow of conspiracy)
  • Options
    arimis5226arimis5226 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Antovaras for verifying STO is patching fine. Okay, so please let me get another poster who thinks nothing is wrong and this is the way it's supposed to be because of two games patching today. It's the Neverwinter patch that's hosed atm. It's something with the files themselves, like I said earlier they might be modifying them or something while people are trying to actively DL them. Something is happening server side that is causing this problem, and they are scratching their heads trying to figure it out, OR it's a hardware issue and they can't do anything about it until they get new parts shortly.
  • Options
    mistressphoenixmistressphoenix Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    arimis5226 wrote: »
    After restarting the patcher, I only have a 101mb patch, and it's gotten through the first 30+ percent pretty rapidly. At around the mid 30s up into the mid 40s the transfer rates have decreased dramatically.

This is my exact experience, as well. Patcher hit a brick wall a little before 1/2 way through the last 101mb of the patch.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    rylansmule wrote: »

Eu...rope...? what is that? Do people actually live in there? ;)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    noxisstnoxisst Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2013
    To go back to Lew's example, even the most traffic free roads can get congested from time to time.
    Just because a four lane highway can occasionally back up doesn't mean the road needs to be expanded to be eight lanes for a rare occurrence. That's just a costly waste of resources.

In every game you should expect slow download speeds immediately after a patch.
    It'll speed up soon enough as more people finish their downloads. :)

P.S. - The servers are on different networks than the patch servers. Those lines are never shared here or elsewhere. That just Networking 101, haha! ;)

It's actually not a costly waste of resources for a company of this caliber. I have been a network engineer for about 8 years, so i'm familiar hardware cost as well as cost of service. This is probably not a bandwidth issue, as most users are experiencing 1-2 kbps if that. They likely have multiple 100+Mbps circuits in a failover/load balance scenario.

If i had to guess. Patch server disk I/O, Patch server layer 2 issue, or internal layer 2 problem; nic teaming, etherchannel, ect.
    "If you don't know who I am, then maybe your best course would be to tread lightly" -- Walter White
  • Options
    krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    That'll be the result of everybody trying to patch at once.. there's only so much bandwidth to go around.

Incorrect, in the past everyone also tried to patch at once... and everything went smoothly... That doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    arimis5226 wrote: »
    And now that I recall, the first time I started patching today there was over 600mb of files to patch, and I was up to 80ish percent rather quickly. After restarting the patcher, I only have a 101mb patch, and it's gotten through the first 30+ percent pretty rapidly. At around the mid 30s up into the mid 40s the transfer rates have decreased dramatically. ...

Exactly this.
  • Options
    mokum666mokum666 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    here a litle article to cheer people up that it can always be worse then we have at the moment http://kotaku.com/5859963/an-entire-mmo-was-accidentally-erased-from-the-internet
  • Options
    gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You can only download as fast as the supplier can upload.

Sadly in times where there are (hundreds of?) thousands of players downloading a patch at the same time individual download speeds may not be as fast as usual. :(

And this ..like ... changed overnight..... why?
  • Options
    curmuringcurmuring Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Several games use torrents to distribute patches, etc. You don't have to have a separate app to do it, you can have it embedded in the client so the users are unaware.
  • Options
    baconteabacontea Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Wish they would invent a patch mirror site, it would really fix alot of issues...
  • Options
    terhikkiterhikki Member Posts: 72
    edited September 2013
    ****, I think we who are waiting it to patch ( going 0kbs now for a long time ) aren't "lucky players"... there might be a "post patch lucky player event" now going and giving free spiders to those major "lucky" ones!!
  • Options
    audioggaudiogg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Peer to peer would help this
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    all of you ppl complaining about slow patch speeds should be ashamed of yourselves. i know most, if not all of you nerdy gamer types understand networking and how that magical thing called bandwidth works. oh wait... that's right. at the first sight of anything to complain about concerning cryptic or pwe, ten threads must be opened and this company must be crucified for all of their transgressions. my bad.

I suggest death by fire. ;)
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    reiwulf wrote: »
    Eu...rope...? what is that? Do people actually live in there? ;)
    actualy europe has more people living in it then the usa ^^
  • Options
    arimis5226arimis5226 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, so someone explain to me why when I last restarted the launcher, I have 43% patched (43.8/101mb), but after receiving well over 15mb, my patched still says 43.6mb. It looks to me like the patched number is inaccurate from the get go, and it isn't updating at all. Something is either wrong with the patch server, or the patcher on the client end. Could be either one.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yeah it looks like most of us are stuck in the last 50 mbs or so, that sucks :(
    I think something is wrong too.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    That's akin to saying because you never encountered traffic before there must be a problem.

In some cases it's true. However think of those times where you get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for a half an hour and then suddenly, like turning on a light switch, the traffic is free flowing.
    That's what 99% of post-patch complaints come down to...the entire system is backs up because there are too many cars on the road.

Could there be another issue? Sure.
    Is it likely? No.
    Will they look into it? Of course...but I'm leaning towards a little patience being the solution to the problem. ;)

If there is no issue couldn't we get an "official" response?
  • Options
    tarraatarraa Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It is not ok...maintenance in main time for playing game for EU ppl (here 4-6 pm) untill americans sleep ...and now this patching ... will be more correct if you doing that in the morning ..to show respect for EU ppl not just to fit for americans!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    mokum666 wrote: »
    actualy europe has more people living in it then the usa ^^
    You don't really think I was being serious, right? XD
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    when did u saw me say crucify them ?
  • Options
    shielgardinshielgardin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I would have to politely disagree. Its 1pm eastern time in USA on a Thursday, which is clearly
    not a high population time by any means (work and school). As mentioned before, many other
    games have had high populations downloading at peak night hours.

Something is amiss.

May I very gently and respectfully point out that there are quite a few players outside of the USA and for us it is peak playing time.

Kind Regards,

A Brit
  • Options
    gek1956gek1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    tarraa wrote: »
    It is not ok...maintenance in main time for playing game for EU ppl (here 4-6 pm) untill americans sleep ...and now this patching ... will be more correct if you doing that in the morning ..to show respect for EU ppl not just to fit for americans!

So.. you want the operators to get up at 1AM EST to be at work by 2AM EST so players in Europe get patched at 7-9 AM rather than 12-1 PM, Gee are they messing up your lunch hour? HOW RUDE!!!!
  • Options
    anarkandianarkandi Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yes this is a 0.2mb/s download with a 100 mbit ISP provider (yes, sweden runs this high.)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'm actually drawing some comissions for now, just because I get back every 10 mins in here to post a useless opinion doesn't mean I'm not doing anything else XD
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    shielgardinshielgardin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013

It's just an issue of competence in my view. If you say your are a global games company as opposed to some back-water amateur outfit AND you choose to issue a 1GB patch without advance downloading THEN dare I suggest you should buy better bandwidth with all the money you are making from Zen sales.

It's called 'customer service' - simple really.