test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Problem downloading patch

Comments

• arimis5226arimis5226 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    NOOO. Not everyone that plays both of these games are patching right at this moment. A handful are. Something is flubbed up on their end. I too am seeing the % change up and down if I restart or cancel the patching. It's almost as if something on the server is locally accessing the files for modification or something. I'm wondering if they already found some issues with the patch and they are trying to fix stuff while people are simultaneously DLing the files. They should be modifying copies of the files and making all the changes available in one shot. This reeks of someone doing something wrong.
  • arimis5226arimis5226 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Nope. Someone at PW needs to call MJFox and get some help getting back to the future.
  • mokum666mokum666 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    i played tons of f2p games never and i mean never i had such slow patches lols
  • zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    It kept your progresses. Didn't you notice the patch was smaller when you restarted the launcher?

Honestly, I didn't take notice of the file size the first time. I usually click the patch and web browse for a few mins and it's done.
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    42% and rocking here!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • ukspawnukspawn Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If you would all just cancel your downloads, let me finish mine, then i'll report back when I'm done and the next person can go.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2013
    terhikki wrote: »
    Well it's a matter of recources and obviously this game hasn't got loads of em.. daily "server not responding" does show that quite straight.

But yea I know, need loads of players to get decent equipment / bandwith, guess we ain't enough yet.

To go back to Lew's example, even the most traffic free roads can get congested from time to time.
    Just because a four lane highway can occasionally back up doesn't mean the road needs to be expanded to be eight lanes for a rare occurrence. That's just a costly waste of resources.

In every game you should expect slow download speeds immediately after a patch.
    It'll speed up soon enough as more people finish their downloads. :)

P.S. - The servers are on different networks than the patch servers. Those lines are never shared here or elsewhere. That just Networking 101, haha! ;)
  • maisaanmaisaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 166
    edited September 2013
    Lucky you. I've gotten stuck at 1% 4 times now.
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    arimis5226 wrote: »
    NOOO. Not everyone that plays both of these games are patching right at this moment. A handful are. Something is flubbed up on their end. I too am seeing the % change up and down if I restart or cancel the patching. It's almost as if something on the server is locally accessing the files for modification or something.

Lol no, next time keep track of the total size not the % complete, and everything will (hopefully) become clear. (Hint: launcher keeps your patching progress but doesn't record it the way you think it does ;))
  • chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The patch must be so stupid that the servers refuse to distribute it.
  • frost168frost168 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's like driving on the autobahn. Even if you have a Ferrari, you can't very well just plow through other cars in the way.

your analogy would be more accurate to this situation if u compared the Ferrari to a snail.

I know you community managers have to be biased and mitigate the communities frustration, but this is ridiculous.

I started DL'ing this patch at NOON. it's now 1:13 and I'm not even 50% complete.

Please, stop with the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and just say, "We are looking into this, thank you and everyone for alerting us to this obvious problem. We are sorry for the inconvenience"

but nope. just lie lie and lie some more.
    edited September 2013
    And now that I recall, the first time I started patching today there was over 600mb of files to patch, and I was up to 80ish percent rather quickly. After restarting the patcher, I only have a 101mb patch, and it's gotten through the first 30+ percent pretty rapidly. At around the mid 30s up into the mid 40s the transfer rates have decreased dramatically. This really backs up my last post in my head. There are specific files they are messing around with on the patch server at the same time people are trying to DL the files. It looks like everyone is hitting a wall at the same point in the patching process, so I really don't think it's the overall BW available on their end. Has anyone tried patching STO to see if it is just as slow?
  • almightybizzoalmightybizzo Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yeah at first I thought there was a problem with the launcher, so I restarted it. At 36.9MB - 4% now.
    Same here. I restarted too, and it reloaded the first part of what it had downloaded and resumed crawling at less than 1Kbps. Two hours offline to patch. Another X - time to download at a snail's pace. Why u no liek usrs Cryptic?
    <3 Aja / Nepenthe

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • terhikkiterhikki Member Posts: 72
    edited September 2013
    Hey mister Moderator, many of us have played other games ( like games that really have 2 million players and so ) and patching isn't usually ever pooped like this. And it's not even nearly your peak time, when there is like amazing few K players online at same time.

So quite sad to compare to any other game or "rush on roads".. Just admit that ain't got enough juice in tha pants.
  • zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    To go back to Lew's example, even the most traffic free roads can get congested from time to time.
    Just because a four lane highway can occasionally back up doesn't mean the road needs to be expanded to be eight lanes for a rare occurrence. That's just a costly waste of resources.

It'll speed up soon enough as more people finish their downloads. :)

P.S. - The servers are on different networks than the patch servers. Those lines are never shared here or elsewhere. That just networking 101, haha! ;)

Still not sure why today is different from patches in the past when I, and apparently many others, have had no issue.

Even the Mod release wasn't like this, and that was when alot of players we not in school during patch times.
  • mokum666mokum666 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2013

with all do respect i never ever downloaded some patch from any game at 2 kbps thats just rediculus low lols
  • helltikihelltiki Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    plz guys seeeeedddd!!!!! xD
    edited September 2013
    Sounds good, but I think I should go just before you.
  • helltikihelltiki Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Plz guys seeeedddd!!!! :D
  • frost168frost168 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ohh but the community managers ASSURE us there is no problem /laugh

Oh sorry. I meant to say "Its working as intended"
  • goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ukspawn wrote: »
    If you would all just cancel your downloads, let me finish mine, then i'll report back when I'm done and the next person can go.
    The patch must be so stupid that the servers refuse to distribute it.

Lol, very funny lets hope the patch was worth the wait.;)
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    Both Neverwinter AND Star Trek Online, were patched today, and the combined number of concurrent downloads, is enough to saturate the bandwidth to and from the data centres..

Except STO is patching fine...
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • bkloesbkloes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    yeah been at 40% for 5 min now......West Coast everyone is in school....Cryptic needs to spend some time fixing things we want and not things that line their pockets with money. PWI's other game had ZEN sales every week it was almost a joke....What will they try to sell us this week...I am pretty much only doing dailies and event these days. I want to be positive but game is kinda going down the tubes?
  • curmuringcurmuring Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    That'll be the result of everybody trying to patch at once.. there's only so much bandwidth to go around.

Two words: Tor-rent. If you decentralize the patching, everybody wins.

Also, if you cancel the patching, it should save what you have so you can come back later and pickup where you left off.
  • dnosrcdnosrc Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Both Neverwinter AND Star Trek Online, were patched today, and the combined number of concurrent downloads, is enough to saturate the bandwidth to and from the data centres..

How about patching on different days if you dont have the cdn of like amazon or google?
    You dont need to be Einstein to schedule two Patchdays :p
  • cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    The server is so dead and population is so low... That even in very off-peak hours their patcher is straining to patch the large volume of those logging in 1 minute after servers come back up. Sounds like the population is still doing just fine heh
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    curmuring wrote: »
    Two words: Tor-rent. If you decentralize the patching, everybody wins.

Also, if you cancel the patching, it should save what you have so you can come back later and pickup where you left off.

The problem is that some company uses "torrent" style apps (for their products) and people jump up and arms of not wanting the software.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2013
    Still not sure why today is different from patches in the past when I, and apparently many others, have had no issue.

Even the Mod release wasn't like this, and that was when alot of players we not in school during patch times.

That's akin to saying because you never encountered traffic before there must be a problem.

In some cases it's true. However think of those times where you get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for a half an hour and then suddenly, like turning on a light switch, the traffic is free flowing.
    That's what 99% of post-patch complaints come down to...the entire system is backs up because there are too many cars on the road.

Could there be another issue? Sure.
    Is it likely? No.
    Will they look into it? Of course...but I'm leaning towards a little patience being the solution to the problem. ;)
  • rylansmulerylansmule Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I love all the people pointing out that it's the middle of the school day.....in America.

Global game guys. It's peak time in Europe!
  • vladdry5vladdry5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    have 45% abov 40 min. T_T