What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guardian Fighter Scrotobagins Regen Tank & DPS Builds

Comments

• Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Nah, just your general impressions on their usefulness. So far I'm just collecting shards as they come for possible later use.

I made a Perfect Terror today on the Test Server and the animation when swinging hitting is one of the best. But the damage is really bad and not even close to GPF. Also GPF is currently bugged and only doing 1 stack equal to that of Terror. So once GPF is fixed GPF will do more than double the damage of Terror.

Also for the AD to make a Perfect Terror you can make a P.Vorpal which is still the BEST DPS enchant with players over 20% CRT chance.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Hello,
    i have a question. I choose the following stat:

STR 16
    CON 18
    DEX 12

and maxed STR and CON having

STR 22 (guard meter +12%, damage bonus+12%, DoT dam res +12%)
    CON 24
    DEX 14 (resitance ignored -4%, AoE damage resist +4%, delfection chance +2%)

I should reroll but i don't want because my GF has leadership at level 20 and I don't want reroll (I hope that in the future we will have the chance to respec initial roll), but i'm thinking to respec to upgrade dex instead of str, so:

STR 18 (guard meter +8%, damage bonus+8%, DoT dam res +8%)
    CON 24
    DEX 18 (resitance ignored -8%, AoE damage resist +8%, delfection chance + 4%)

So I'd like to know what do you think about it. It's good?

one:
    I loose 4% damage bonus, but gain 4% resistence ignored... if i understood well, it means that my damage is the same (but i prefer to have more res ignored). I made some test on target dummy and my damage decrease noticeable but I think it is because target dummy don't have damage resistance...
    Could you help me in this?

two:
    I loose 4% guard meter and 4% dot dam res, but gain 4% aoe dam res and 2% deflection chance. I think it is better because my experience is that block is less usefull than people think and because i think aoe dam res is better than dot dam res.
    Could you tell me your opinion?

EDIT
    P.S. I'm working on a tank/regen build. I'd like to deal some usefull damage, but after stalwart destroy...

Con/Dex is great for a Deflect/Regen Build, that's what my halfling is. Your damage will be a bit lower because you'll me missing the increased damage from str but it's not a big deal.
  • Options
    sirjestosirjesto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 176 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    I made a Perfect Terror today on the Test Server and the animation when swinging hitting is one of the best. But the damage is really bad and not even close to GPF. Also GPF is currently bugged and only doing 1 stack equal to that of Terror. So once GPF is fixed GPF will do more than double the damage of Terror.

Also for the AD to make a Perfect Terror you can make a P.Vorpal which is still the BEST DPS enchant with players over 20% CRT chance.

What is the difference between Fire damage and Necrotic damage? I'm assuming if a creature had some resistance to fire damage that the terror might be better, but I'm not even sure if those kind of resistance based defenses even exist in this game???
  • Options
    sirjestosirjesto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 176 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013

Would like to see some numbers on this. Not sure that your statements make sense. Ie: What is "really bad", 1 stack of GPF is actually 5% less than terror, not equal, and where are the numbers that back up that GPF would do more than double damage of terror. Need more than words my friend. Let's see some data. These are expensive enchants to just throw words out there.
  • Options
    abraxas336abraxas336 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    dkcandy,

If your limit for enchantments was 7 - what would you do with your "Knights Captain “Team Buff” Hybrid DPS / TANK Life Steal Build"?

Use 7s instead of 8s and scale down every stat the same percentage or sacrifice for instance power (or other stats) to stay at 24% armor penetration or 19% crit?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    sirjesto wrote: »
    What is the difference between Fire damage and Necrotic damage? I'm assuming if a creature had some resistance to fire damage that the terror might be better, but I'm not even sure if those kind of resistance based defenses even exist in this game???

Terror is Necro Damage which is True Damage. (Which means no mitigation)

Fire, Front, etc... all have mitigation and so do a little bit less damage. This is why those enchants normally have a higher % of weapon damage.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    sirjesto wrote: »
    Would like to see some numbers on this. Not sure that your statements make sense. Ie: What is "really bad", 1 stack of GPF is actually 5% less than terror, not equal, and where are the numbers that back up that GPF would do more than double damage of terror. Need more than words my friend. Let's see some data. These are expensive enchants to just throw words out there.

Terror is equal to 1 STACK of GPF for defense reduction. So when GPF is unbugged and the stacks actually go to 45% defense mitigation GPF will do 9% damage bonus on top of the 7.5% + 7.5% DoT. Right now Terror & GPF are doing the same 3% damage bonus for defense mitigation.

All Perfects are around 8-9Million for Coal Wards & GPF is 1.8-2.2 Mil AD.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    abraxas336 wrote: »
    dkcandy,

If your limit for enchantments was 7 - what would you do with your "Knights Captain “Team Buff” Hybrid DPS / TANK Life Steal Build"?

Use 7s instead of 8s and scale down every stat the same percentage or sacrifice for instance power (or other stats) to stay at 24% armor penetration or 19% crit?

Thanks

If I had to use Rank 7 Enchants, I would work on getting 24% ArP first and as close to 20% CRT as possible while still stacking Power on self.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks dkcandy. Another question - you suggest Eldritch rune stones for the companion. I tested this and can't see any difference between companion stats and summoning bonus. If the Eldritch rune stone would be able to raise the normal 100% transfer of the stone to 109% it should be higher?
  • Options
    arcademasterarcademaster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The bonus from the rune isn't added to the summoning bonus, it's an extra buff, counted seperately.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks arcademaster.
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Terror is equal to 1 STACK of GPF for defense reduction. So when GPF is unbugged and the stacks actually go to 45% defense mitigation GPF will do 9% damage bonus on top of the 7.5% + 7.5% DoT. Right now Terror & GPF are doing the same 3% damage bonus for defense mitigation.

All Perfects are around 8-9Million for Coal Wards & GPF is 1.8-2.2 Mil AD.

GFP has not done 45% defense mitigation for several months now. Even before it was broken in Feywild it caps at 9%.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    GFP has not done 45% defense mitigation for several months now. Even before it was broken in Feywild it caps at 9%.

Fondlez - it's 45% Defense reduction which is what it does... As stated by a DEV that equals to about 3% damage increase per stack on minions and more for elites/bosses as they have more defense. Once they fix the stacking bug it will give 9%+ damage gain.

Armor Pen caps at 0%
    But defense reductions takes targets below 0% due to it being a "Debuff".

You can verify all of this by the combat logs #### (####) // #### is the damage after mitigation (####) is the # before mitigation.

So when you see 11000 (10000) means you did 10% more damage due to buffs/debuffs.

If you see 9000 (10000) means you are not ArP capped vs. that creature and it still has mitigation to reduce your damage.

If you see 10000 means you have enough ArP to remove mitigation but have no buffs/duffs to increase your damage.
  • Options
    kaylos29kaylos29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    What I don't understand is how it works when you have armor. When GWFs had a bug that caused restoring strike to debuff you with Student of the Sword, I used that to see what happened against mobs. I was at about 51% mitigation at that time with feats. The one stack of SotS caused me to take exactly 5% more damage. At the time my defense was pretty low and hadn't reached the end fo the curve, so I would have expected losing 15% of my defense would have given me a different number than exactly 5%.

And why does SotS give a 15% damage increase and GPF 9% when they both say 45% defense with full stacks?
    Mindflayer - Exodus
    Daria - Dwarf Sentinel GWF (mistaken for Halfling a lot)
    Karia (aka "The Pug") - Human Combat HR
    Kayd - Human Conqueror GF - Retired
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    kaylos29 wrote: »
    What I don't understand is how it works when you have armor. When GWFs had a bug that caused restoring strike to debuff you with Student of the Sword, I used that to see what happened against mobs. I was at about 51% mitigation at that time with feats. The one stack of SotS caused me to take exactly 5% more damage. At the time my defense was pretty low and hadn't reached the end fo the curve, so I would have expected losing 15% of my defense would have given me a different number than exactly 5%.

And why does SotS give a 15% damage increase and GPF 9% when they both say 45% defense with full stacks?

It is the usual "Cryptic Tooltip Problem". It would appear that the only spell in the game that actually reduces the gear rating known as "Defense" is Plague Fire (or at least formerly just Plague Fire and now may also include Terror).

All other tooltips that speak of "Defense" reduction actually are mitigation reduction.

Even more confusingly, all effects (except "Armor Penetration" ofc) that either reduce Defense or mitigation, including Plague Fire, can debuff below zero Defense and zero mitigation thus becoming flat damage increases. I have no idea how this is calculated in the case of actual Defense reduction effects (since there is nothing to reduce), like Plague Fire, other than it becoming a direct and exact X% buff, e.g. 3% for Greater Plague Fire, just like a mitigation reduction spell!

So, in summary, Student of the Sword must be a mitigation debuff, like I suspect on all other classes and feats, and therefore exactly a flat 5% damage increase per stack.

Day help us all if they ever decide to change the mechanic to suit the tooltip, the nerfs will have players whining on forums like babies!

Of course, maybe one day, they will correct the tooltips instead...
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I figured it was a tooltip issue then. So if I understand correctly then, only GPF will reduce resistance by 45% if your target's armor is not entirely reduced yet?
    Mindflayer - Exodus
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    Day help us all if they ever decide to change the mechanic to suit the tooltip, the nerfs will have players whining on forums like babies!

Of course, maybe one day, they will correct the tooltips instead...

Exactly. Their tooltips don't actually tell you squat how the enchants/skills actually work. Most of the time they nerf the actual ability and leave the tooltip the same. This way players don't visually see the nerf and they don't hear the QQs till the math geeks step in and post that it's bugged.

GPF used to be a 5% Damage bonus per stack but now appears to have been nerfed to 3% per stack before MOD 1. After MOD 1 it's now bugged to only 1 stack and so only giving 3% increase.

The good news is Terror & GPF stack, so when GPF is fixed you'll see the 3% of Terror + 9% from GPF for teammates!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    What about Bronzewood as opposed to terror if you have a teammate applying GPF. Perfect Bronzewood is a 16% damage increase instead of 3% for terror, and the debuff last like 10 seconds, resets at 20, and the rest is per target. My only issue with it is the debuffing encounter does not get the damage boost.
    Mindflayer - Exodus
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I figured it was a tooltip issue then. So if I understand correctly then, only GPF will reduce resistance by 45% if your target's armor is not entirely reduced yet?

GPF does not reduce Resistance. It reduces Defense, therefore far weaker than 45% Resistance Ignored.

In theory, that also makes it worse the higher the Defense a target has due to diminishing returns of the rating, i.e. up to 9% total damage increase from just the debuff with full stacks on GPF (if it stacked more than once since Feywild). Thus, making GPF more effective for trash mobs. But I have not seen tests on bosses/high defense targets so I cannot confirm this scaling.

That said, it is a party-wide debuff that applies just as well on bosses as trash.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    So this is where it gets confusing. At what point does it switch to being a 3% per stack damage boost? When defense is gone or resistance? What happens when defense is at 0, but there is still resistance from AC?
    Mindflayer - Exodus
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Kaylos29 - to simply things:

Terror - Applies a (3% damage debuff to target)
    GPF - Applies a (3% damage debuff to target per stack)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I get the simplified portion, it just bugs me when I don't know "exactly" how it works. I am still working on gearing up both my GF and GWF, so I can't afford to be buying enchants to test it right now. That what happens when you simply don't have the time to run dungeons to gear up that way thanks to a 3yr old and a baby.
    Mindflayer - Exodus
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I get the simplified portion, it just bugs me when I don't know "exactly" how it works. I am still working on gearing up both my GF and GWF, so I can't afford to be buying enchants to test it right now. That what happens when you simply don't have the time to run dungeons to gear up that way thanks to a 3yr old and a baby.

Terror, GPF, Vorpal are all good enchants.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    And what is wrogn with bronzewood? It seems pretty good to me in PvP, and it is so cheap right even I can afford it. 8% more damage for 70K AD :D. I better keep my mouth shut, or the price will spike, lol.
    Mindflayer - Exodus
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    And what is wrogn with bronzewood? It seems pretty good to me in PvP, and it is so cheap right even I can afford it. 8% more damage for 70K AD :D. I better keep my mouth shut, or the price will spike, lol.

Yup, this is what I use on my other Ancient sword in pvp (my Power build for burning down melee groups). Ordinary Vorpal and higher is ofc better for both pvp and pve, but Bronzewood is little known and cheap gem. Its uptime is also high at 10s out of the 20s refresh and the spell animation is nice. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Terror & GPF stack. So if you have a teammates with both you shred players.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The nice thing is it is a damage boost whether you crit or not. So a perfect is 16% more whether you crit or not, instead of 27% for a perfect vorpal (185% to 235%). And when your crit is low...
    Mindflayer - Exodus
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Terror & GPF stack. So if you have a teammates with both you shred players.

Wouldn't bronzewood and GPF stack?
    Mindflayer - Exodus
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Wouldn't bronzewood and GPF stack?

Don't know as I haven't tested it yet.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I have a regular bronzewood, so I'll see if I can get someone to help me test it out. Pretty confident it does as it stacked with regular mark damage.
    Mindflayer - Exodus