What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guardian Fighter Scrotobagins Regen Tank & DPS Builds

Comments

• Options
    irk2013irk2013 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Was wondering if the new Sun Elves or Drow would be ok for a GF race? I know their starting bonus stats are not really geared for the class, but I like the concept behind the 2 new classes.
  • Options
    kaylos29kaylos29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    c1r1as wrote: »
    Good point. Most of my Cleaves are usually only to take advantage of a singularity, where it would still be superior to Crushing Surge, or occasionally on a prone target. Thanks for pointing that out.

If you don't rely on at wills, why not free up the 5 points and use crushing surge. It does more damage now than a feated cleave.
    Mindflayer - Exodus
    Daria - Dwarf Sentinel GWF (mistaken for Halfling a lot)
    Karia (aka "The Pug") - Human Combat HR
    Kayd - Human Conqueror GF - Retired
  • Options
    vagrantpivagrantpi Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    The question I asked them was "What is the reason for wanting to run Tactician vs. Conqueror?"

If the player has a specific build in mind I can work from it but if they are going to use Tactician just because then it doesn't make sense to use it over conqueror. But if their concept is to debuff targets doing a hybrid Protection/Tact or maybe a Conq / Tact I need to know.

That's why I'm wanting to know what skills they plan to use so I can work around those.

:D

I'd like to run conq/tact mostly because my playstyle goes on heavy guard/temp HP. Pre-60, I've been managing pretty decent with knights valor/iron warrior, build AP and toggle fighters recovery followed by enforced threat. My only issue is that my DPS is **** (obviously), but I stack ArPen+Crit and feat into conq for the dam boost there.
  • Options
    banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    trying to lvl just in pvp(+dailies) im following your pvp build, but what would u suggest to focus on items, im buying greens and refreshing set once 4~8 lvls(depending on how much ad ill have), go for more dmg with cooldown reduction/crit/armor pen or tanky, its hard to balance with just greens to work with, doing spreadsheets is not for me especially when gear doesnt last long :D

atm my im going weapon dmg>>>> crit/deflect/armor pen/regen>hp>everything else considering prices, what would be best bang for buck for survivability + kill potential

lvl 23(or smth) with ~150 kills and only map i have completed is blacklake + first part of linkletters

ty for guide

• Options
    dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    irk2013 wrote: »
    Was wondering if the new Sun Elves or Drow would be ok for a GF race? I know their starting bonus stats are not really geared for the class, but I like the concept behind the 2 new classes.

You can use any Race you want as the differences won't make or break a build. Only when you are trying to Min/Max a build does it really matter which race you use.

Example:

Regen/Deflect I am using my Halfling just for PvP.

Knights Cap build I am using my Human just for PvE.

I could have used my Orc for PvE but my Human already had CN Weapon/Shield and 4/4 Knight Cap set & a PET. :D So she saved me a lot of AD to regear an Orc plus 3 feats is nice. :D

So in all her damage is a bit less but so minor it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    kaylos29 wrote: »
    If you don't rely on at wills, why not free up the 5 points and use crushing surge. It does more damage now than a feated cleave.

I will have to test the animation speed and how it feels on the PTR before I pay for a respec on my Halfling.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    vagrantpi wrote: »
    I'd like to run conq/tact mostly because my playstyle goes on heavy guard/temp HP. Pre-60, I've been managing pretty decent with knights valor/iron warrior, build AP and toggle fighters recovery followed by enforced threat. My only issue is that my DPS is **** (obviously), but I stack ArPen+Crit and feat into conq for the dam boost there.

Ah cool so you are still leveling to 60 then? Don't worry about your build till you get to 60 as the game plays very differently with the dungeons.

How deep tact are you thinking and what powers(skills) do you like to use?

Also it's recommended at 50 you get an Augment pet if you can afford one (stone or cat) and it will be 25 by the time you reach 60. If you can't afford one don't worry about it but at 60 you can stack your augment pet with enough CRT/ArP to reach caps. (or if you want to be uber tank, you can stack Regen/Deflect/Recovery on Pet.) This opens up lots of room for your main character to stack defensive or offensive depending on your play style.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    banaanc wrote: »
    trying to lvl just in pvp(+dailies) im following your pvp build, but what would u suggest to focus on items, im buying greens and refreshing set once 4~8 lvls(depending on how much ad ill have), go for more dmg with cooldown reduction/crit/armor pen or tanky, its hard to balance with just greens to work with, doing spreadsheets is not for me especially when gear doesnt last long :D

atm my im going weapon dmg>>>> crit/deflect/armor pen/regen>hp>everything else considering prices, what would be best bang for buck for survivability + kill potential

lvl 23(or smth) with ~150 kills and only map i have completed is blacklake + first part of linkletters

ty for guide

If you enjoy PvP leveling over questing go for it. I personally have leveled all of my characters just grinding out the quests as it's really fast 24-30 Hours /played.

So my experience leveling was thru quests not PVP but I stacked Weapon Damage > Power > CRT > Regen and leveled glass canon pretty much as mobs AI is easy.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well I just completed another Malabog Castle run using the Knights Captain set build posted. This run was done with a PUG by queuing into the dungeon and it was very long. 2.5 Hours :D

It was the 1st time running the dungeon for most of the group and so I lead the party and we killed the 1st boss 4 manned as one of the CW's died right at start. The 2nd Boss was another 1 shot and then came the fun of the last boss. :D

We spent about 2 hours on the last boss as I had to teach the group each stage of the fight but we eventually downed the boss and each got to roll on another Blue LOOT. :D

#1 Damage 16.9 Mil (Me)
    #2 Damage 11.2 Mil (TR)

Note: The Knight Cap is a DPS build that can tank, so you will sometimes get jibbed by mass burst from AI. So don't get frustrated if you die a few times it comes with a high DPS build. Also Malabog is much harder for burst damage from the mobs as they hit alot harder vs. CN's burst damage came from AoE red circles.
  • Options
    h4yah4ya Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well I just completed another Malabog Castle run using the Knights Captain set build posted. This run was done with a PUG by queuing into the dungeon and it was very long. 2.5 Hours :D

It was the 1st time running the dungeon for most of the group and so I lead the party and we killed the 1st boss 4 manned as one of the CW's died right at start. The 2nd Boss was another 1 shot and then came the fun of the last boss. :D

We spent about 2 hours on the last boss as I had to teach the group each stage of the fight but we eventually downed the boss and each got to roll on another Blue LOOT. :D

#1 Damage 16.9 Mil (Me)
    #2 Damage 11.2 Mil (TR)

Note: The Knight Cap is a DPS build that can tank, so you will sometimes get jibbed by mass burst from AI. So don't get frustrated if you die a few times it comes with a high DPS build. Also Malabog is much harder for burst damage from the mobs as they hit alot harder vs. CN's burst damage came from AoE red circles.

AWESOME! Gonna go buy the rings and see how things go!
  • Options
    kaylos29kaylos29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Stupid question DK. How do you get into an epic dungeon by yourself?
    Mindflayer - Exodus
    Daria - Dwarf Sentinel GWF (mistaken for Halfling a lot)
    Karia (aka "The Pug") - Human Combat HR
    Kayd - Human Conqueror GF - Retired
  • Options
    kimonkakimonka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just wondering, how high should your deflect/defense be at the end of the regen guild?. Right now I have 33% for defense and 12% for deflect. I was wondering if I should enchant for more defense/deflect instead?
  • Options
    banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you enjoy PvP leveling over questing go for it. I personally have leveled all of my characters just grinding out the quests as it's really fast 24-30 Hours /played.

So my experience leveling was thru quests not PVP but I stacked Weapon Damage > Power > CRT > Regen and leveled glass canon pretty much as mobs AI is easy.

i just finished lvling gwf to 60, then cryptic happened and i needed smth to do while the dust settles + its boring to lvl 2 times in a row :D

will try pure dps stack

• Options
    trollgretrollgre Member Posts: 297
    edited August 2013
    crushing surge triggers grit (temporary HP)
    higher damage but it is single target

cleave is still a bit faster and its AoE

for me dungeons and lvlng = cleave
    pvp = crushing surge
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    kaylos29 wrote: »
    Stupid question DK. How do you get into an epic dungeon by yourself?

You don't. I've went with groups that all die on last boss and I have to solo boss & add's. It takes a while but manageable.

Most notably is the T1 GG boss as it happened a lot back when I had my STAL build.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    kimonka wrote: »
    Just wondering, how high should your deflect/defense be at the end of the regen guild?. Right now I have 33% for defense and 12% for deflect. I was wondering if I should enchant for more defense/deflect instead?

What level are you and do you have the 5% Deflect feat in protection? 18-20% is normal for non-dex players.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    banaanc wrote: »
    i just finished lvling gwf to 60, then cryptic happened and i needed smth to do while the dust settles + its boring to lvl 2 times in a row :D

will try pure dps stack

If you enjoy PVE than stacking power on self is what you want for a GWF. You get Armor Pen from recovery and defense reduction debuffs, etc... plus tons of CRT from gear. So you can almost stack power on everything and be set. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    trollgre wrote: »
    crushing surge triggers grit (temporary HP)
    higher damage but it is single target

cleave is still a bit faster and its AoE

for me dungeons and lvlng = cleave
    pvp = crushing surge

Thanks Troll for testing it out. I thought it was single target from when I tested it originally.
  • Options
    tuzak05tuzak05 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I read through your guide, it's very informative.

Two things I am using and I think you are not:
    Ferocious reaction (instead of trample the fallen)
    Fight on (instead of crushing pin)

I guess when using trample the fallen, slotting battle trample makes a lot of sense too. But then I would have to leave out plate agility.

Fight on is important to me because I am using the Timeless set and it helps greatly to keep the 1350 critical up all the time.

Any recommendations/thoughts?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tuzak05 wrote: »

I guess when using trample the fallen, slotting battle trample makes a lot of sense too. But then I would have to leave out plate agility.

Fight on is important to me because I am using the Timeless set and it helps greatly to keep the 1350 critical up all the time.

Ferocious reaction IMO is a horrible passive. Soul Forge + Fighters Recovery or just using Health Pots is better.

Trample + Battle Trample is a huge damage increase
    Crushing Pin is a 10% Damage increase for entire team on a target so another huge damage increase.

Also cooldown reduction is blaa as over 50% of GF's damage is from Cleave and so your goal should be to make Cleave hit as hard as possible. recovery is nice with gear but shouldn't be focus as you want 20% CRT / 24% ARP / MAX STR with as much Power as possible. Then it's about positioning during combat to get flank damage with cleave and a Greater or Perfect Vorpal for huge CRTS.

Timeless IMO is an ok set for the stats but the bonus is a trick. Do not worry about keeping stacks as you are only going to gain about 5% CRT tops. With a 20% Base and 5% from a TR you'll be around 25% so as most gain 5% more for 30% CRT unless you are stacking CRT and then you'll get even less from timeless.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    What level are you and do you have the 5% Deflect feat in protection? 18-20% is normal for non-dex players.
    Uh, 60. If you mean plate agility then yes I did maxed it out. all 12% is from my gear, so I think my deflection stat doesn't factor in the feat?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Uh, 60. If you mean plate agility then yes I did maxed it out. all 12% is from my gear, so I think my deflection stat doesn't factor in the feat.

What is your character name? I'll look you up on the gateway to see your gear.
  • Options
    elahra1rahelahra1rah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Do you think it's better to put 2 points in Potent Challenge or 1 only with 1 in Grit? To get the +damage of Wrathful Warrior. Or even 0 in potent, 0 in Grit and the 3 in Shielded Resurgence?

I've been able to tank all the T2s quite easily with 3 points in Potent Challenge and without the Enhanced Mark passive. But I'm affraid 1 or even 0 wouldn't be enough, even if i'd take Trample the fallen to boost my dps which I wasn't using before (I was playing with Ferocious Reaction and plan to change it).

Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    It's a work in progress and I only have a few level 5 enchantments xD, but here ya go:
    Kimonka
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    What is your character name? I'll look you up on the gateway to see your gear.
    It's a work in progress and I only have a few level 5 enchantments xD, but here ya go:
    Kimonka
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Kimonka

Scroll down to defensive stats area on your character sheet. You should see your total Deflection most likely around 20%.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Derp. Thank for clearing that up :P. So it's much higher than I thought O-o
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    elahra1rah wrote: »
    Do you think it's better to put 2 points in Potent Challenge or 1 only with 1 in Grit? To get the +damage of Wrathful Warrior. Or even 0 in potent, 0 in Grit and the 3 in Shielded Resurgence?

I've been able to tank all the T2s quite easily with 3 points in Potent Challenge and without the Enhanced Mark passive. But I'm affraid 1 or even 0 wouldn't be enough, even if i'd take Trample the fallen to boost my dps which I wasn't using before (I was playing with Ferocious Reaction and plan to change it).

Thanks

Well that's something you'll have to test with the group of players you play with. If you are trying to "Tank" trash you'll need to use enchants like Bronzedwood or Life Drinker as they build a ton of threat. If you just want to tank single targets like I do on bosses and hold that aggro no matter how much DPS is throwing at it then 3 Potent is great.

0 Points it can be hard holding threat on a boss with lots of DPS at it. But Knights Challenge, Enforced threat or a Threat Weapon enchant fixes that.

1 Point makes it a lot easier holding threat on a single target like a boss.

2-3 Points makes it really easy to hold aggro.

I never use Enhanced threat passive and just use Trample + battle Trample and have no issues.
  • Options
    elahra1rahelahra1rah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I just switched from a lesser plaguefire to a normal bronzewood, so I guess 1 would be still enough to tank trash and boss easily and benefit from Grit.

And my bad, my question was messy and it would have been more simple to ask if it is better to get 1% temp hp from grit every 40sec or +5%threat.

But thanks for your answers.
  • Options
    trollgretrollgre Member Posts: 297
    edited August 2013
    tuzak05 wrote: »

fight on is very useful at pvp and pve tanking (can use enforced threat faster and other skills)
    battle trample only adds little damage (25% weapon damage)
    for me crushing pin is better 10% damage increase for all members (you can use threat rush to perma cc boss)
    plate agility 5% deflect is good too you can increase deflect with enchants and items

you cant get all you need to sacrifice 1