What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Quests withdrawn until further notice.

Comments

• Options
    aovgeneralaovgeneral Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I got to say though I am frustrated with the foundry being bugged and down. I am surprised that when a team tries very hard to make a better tool for all of you to create with, when no one else even comes close to this for free, there is so much complaining. So what if we need to give them 1 hour, 1 day, (cringes) 1 week, or (god forbid) 1 month. What we will have is far greater then any other development tool that is free and has 1000s and 1000s of people being exposed to your great work. So you might have to throw some more work into your pieces, with the new tools you will be able to fine tune them even more. I agree I want bosses, better loot tables, and many many other things. Even with out the things I want this system still gets my praise and the dev team still deserves all of our support and patience.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Aov: I don't know about most people, but some folks might be used to Cryptic's normal behavior.
    I've been playing Cryptic games for several years, and they are often utterly silent on ... everything. Unresponsive, ignore bug reports, etc.

So there may be a hold-over frustration that 'great, we have all these bugs that are going to go undealt with for years again!' (I mean, seriously. There are STO Foundry bugs that have been around for 2 years, and Champions Online has bugs going back to the beta)

That the Foundry devs actually seem to be ... openly communicating with us is, frankly, an utter shock. A good one.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    karitr wrote: »
    I'm hoping so zahinder.

At the moment it isn't the total wash out it appears from some posts. As others have rightly noted, a lot of the most played quests have been tagged in all categories, which means if you use the exclude field, you can bring up quests that had zero visibility in the past. Not saying they are going to be great quests, or even that enough players will take advantage of this new function, but I am finding it nice to come across authors and quests I had never heard of before, either in game or from the forum.

Quick question (or two)(or more) for you.

Do you really think that regular players, not author/player, will use the tagging/search system in any way other then to search for a tag they think they like?
    And do you think that players will even give the tagging system even a second thought after playing the quest? In other words... A player searches for a tag/tags they think they will like. They play the quest and get to the review/tagging system. Will they actually tag the quest the way they think it is? Or just tag it with any tag?
    Do you think most players even understand the tagging system? In other words... Take advantage as you state above.

Narayan
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan
  • Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    aovgeneral wrote: »
    I got to say though I am frustrated with the foundry being bugged and down. I am surprised that when a team tries very hard to make a better tool for all of you to create with, when no one else even comes close to this for free, there is so much complaining. So what if we need to give them 1 hour, 1 day, (cringes) 1 week, or (god forbid) 1 month. What we will have is far greater then any other development tool that is free and has 1000s and 1000s of people being exposed to your great work. So you might have to throw some more work into your pieces, with the new tools you will be able to fine tune them even more. I agree I want bosses, better loot tables, and many many other things. Even with out the things I want this system still gets my praise and the dev team still deserves all of our support and patience.

I've been raving about this new module for weeks. Even done vids and streams about it. I love it. Still want my ships fixed though.
  • Options
    koboldsmell88koboldsmell88 Banned Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Aov: I don't know about most people, but some folks might be used to Cryptic's normal behavior.
    I've been playing Cryptic games for several years, and they are often utterly silent on ... everything. Unresponsive, ignore bug reports, etc.

So there may be a hold-over frustration that 'great, we have all these bugs that are going to go undealt with for years again!' (I mean, seriously. There are STO Foundry bugs that have been around for 2 years, and Champions Online has bugs going back to the beta)

That the Foundry devs actually seem to be ... openly communicating with us is, frankly, an utter shock. A good one.

If I was laying on the ground bleeding to death after being shot about six or seven times, and a paramedic ran up and yelled, "Don't worry! We'll help you!" then ran off to do something else, and didn't show up until Monday because he's off on weekends, do you think I'd be very grateful to him? No, I wouldn't, because I'd already be dead. This is how I feel about the dev responses. Anyone can make promises. They've made a bunch of promises to us, and how many have they kept? Do we have dragons? Can we make PvP maps? Did they ever do anything about the Foundry rewards? Why are exploit quests that admit in their descriptions that they're exploits sitting on the Best list? I'm sorry, but I have to scoff at any optimism you guys might have about the future of this game.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Quick question (or two)(or more) for you.

Do you really think that regular players, not author/player, will use the tagging/search system in any way other then to search for a tag they think they like?
    And do you think that players will even give the tagging system even a second thought after playing the quest? In other words... A player searches for a tag/tags they think they will like. They play the quest and get to the review/tagging system. Will they actually tag the quest the way they think it is? Or just tag it with any tag?
    Do you think most players even understand the tagging system? In other words... Take advantage as you state above.

Narayan

In the hands of Foundry authors, the tagging system would work great. However, they gave it to the players, the people rating our quests 1 star for having no loot. Also, the same quests are on top no matter what tag you search in my experience. The same featured quests, just because they get like 10,000 plays, and players give them every possible tag.. So what good is the system doing if only one player decides to give all the featured quests every tag? Hm? None at all. All it takes is one player to break this system. Bad system. JS.
  • Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If I was laying on the ground bleeding to death after being shot about six or seven times, and a paramedic ran up and yelled, "Don't worry! We'll help you!" then ran off to do something else, and didn't show up until Monday because he's off on weekends, do you think I'd be very grateful to him? No, I wouldn't, because I'd already be dead. This is how I feel about the dev responses. Anyone can make promises. They've made a bunch of promises to us, and how many have they kept? Do we have dragons? Can we make PvP maps? Did they ever do anything about the Foundry rewards? Why are exploit quests that admit in their descriptions that they're exploits sitting on the Best list? I'm sorry, but I have to scoff at any optimism you guys might have about the future of this game.

1) Comparing life-threatening medical emergencies to Foundry maintenance shows an alarming lack of perspective.
    2) You don't seem to understand what the word "promise" means. "We're looking into the possibility of adding feature X in the near future" is not a promise (well, they're promising to look into it). "We estimate that feature X will be ready by December" is not a promise. "We're going to give you feature X" is a promise. Now go read official communication and tell me where they promised whatever features you feel slighted for.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    1) Comparing life-threatening medical emergencies to Foundry maintenance shows an alarming lack of perspective.
    2) You don't seem to understand what the word "promise" means. "We're looking into the possibility of adding feature X in the near future" is not a promise. "We estimate that feature X will be ready by December" is not a promise. "We're going to give you feature X" is a promise. Now go read official communication and tell me where they promised whatever features you feel slighted for.

I usually don't answer posts like this, because there's another kobold on here who does that for me. Please be patient in waiting for his response, he might be off this week to go to GenCon or something. Thanks. :)
  • Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So what you're saying is that you're allowed to criticize blindly, but you won't dignify those who call you out on it with an answer? Got it!
  • Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    aovgeneral wrote: »

It's free so we can't complain. Give me a break, free2play is there business model, one that has been found to be more lucrative than a pay monthly model. This attitude that 'oh it's free so they can do what they want' just winds me up. What exactly is free? Bags? I'd rather pay monthly so people would stop with the stupid it's free so don't complain attitude. You think it's a charity? You think they provide this game so they don't make money from it?

I wouldn't mind if they closed it down for a little while and fixed all the problems but they wouldn't. They would mess it up just like they have with everything else so far. So excuse me if I show my dissatisfaction with their failure to do the job that they are paid to do despite your opinion that they are doing if for our well being free of charge.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that you're allowed to criticize blindly, but you won't dignify those who call you out on it with an answer? Got it!

You don't deserve an answer, you're a paid shill imo.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    antonkyle wrote: »
    It's free so we can't complain. Give me a break, free2play is there business model, one that has been found to be more lucrative than a pay monthly model. This attitude that 'oh it's free so they can do what they want' just winds me up. What exactly is free? Bags? I'd rather pay monthly so people would stop with the stupid it's free so don't complain attitude. You think it's a charity? You think they provide this game so they don't make money from it?

I wouldn't mind if they closed it down for a little while and fixed all the problems but they wouldn't. They would mess it up just like they have with everything else so far. So excuse me if I show my dissatisfaction with their failure to do the job that they are paid to do despite your opinion that they are doing if for our well being free of charge.

I agree. I'd much rather this have been a subscription game so that the devs would be forced to pay attention to our complaints, and the community mods wouldn't be allowed to censor everybody like they do. I'd much rather this have been a good game. I wish they could have made new classes a priority, and given Foundry authors better tools. As a friend of mine I was talking to in another MMO about this said, there's not enough sand in Neverwinter's box.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I agree. I'd much rather this have been a subscription game so that the devs would be forced to pay attention to our complaints, and the community mods wouldn't be allowed to censor everybody like they do. I'd much rather this have been a good game. I wish they could have made new classes a priority, and given Foundry authors better tools. As a friend of mine I was talking to in another MMO about this said, there's not enough sand in Neverwinter's box.

This is the first free2play mmorpg I have played and if this is a fair representation of free2play model then I hope to god that ESO is not free2play. That's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    This is the first free2play mmorpg I have played and if this is a fair representation of free2play model then I hope to god that ESO is not free2play. That's all I'm saying.

ESO will kill this game, but I don't expect it to be the best MMO ever. I don't have much hope for FF14 either. There are other great MMO's though, and others will be coming out soon, sooner than the new classes, anyway.
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    ESO is selling the box, plus sub, plus cash shop.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ESO is selling the box, plus sub, plus cash shop.

So expect to pay for it at least three times.
  • Options
    zerkovaplayerzerkovaplayer Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Agreed. The fact that their business model relies on purchasing in-game gear/skins/etc doesn't mean they are any less beholden to market values, and it also means that I can and will decide to take my money elsewhere if they don't do a good job with what I like about the game.

The player base fond of D&D is a player base fond of creating their own content. While they have every reason to be leery of exploit maps (as that allows people to farm in-game currency and undercut their own business), they should (as demonstrated by the fact that this game includes a Foundry and rewards players for playing Foundry quests) approach updating and managing the Foundry in a professional fashion.

During periods where I am unsatisfied with the Foundry editor being broken, I won't be spending more money on the game, because I am not satisfied with the game.
    Foundry Quest: Breaking the Chain NW-DELOGH4IH
    (Daily eligible! Could use more reviews. Largely complete.)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ESO will kill this game, but I don't expect it to be the best MMO ever. I don't have much hope for FF14 either. There are other great MMO's though, and others will be coming out soon, sooner than the new classes, anyway.

I don't have great expectations of games anymore. What I do expect though is a fairly bug free experience. I can live with the odd glitch or two but this is a bit of a joke. If not for the foundry I would not touch this game with a barge poll and I'm surprised so many people are in fact playing it.

One main city, one path through the game. All pvp is 5 v 5 for some reason. Lag is terrible. All gear looks just the same as all other gear. The mounts don't fit within the lore of the game. Now we have Drow running around. A Drow running around Neverwinter? I can't even have a dual with anyone???

If Blizzard had a tool like the foundry I'd bet my right leg that at least 50% of authors would jump ship. Of course I can't say that because I will have a bunch of people say go back to wow then.

I have thought this since I started playing but this game feels as though it's a grab as much money as possible before it closes down experience. I'd actually be surprised if this game is still online come the release of ESO.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So expect to pay for it at least three times.

What like swtor? A better model than this by a mile.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    What like swtor? A better model than this by a mile.

Pretty much, yeah. At least then you're guaranteed a quality service.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    Cryptic AR anyone?
    http://www.crypticar.com

Latest Release: June 5th, 2007
    Latest News: August 6th, 2008

*crickets*

The UGC I made on SC1 Brood War generated more noise.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Pretty much, yeah. At least then you're guaranteed a quality service.

I played swtor for a while and have no complaints over service and quality of product or even prices. My Mrs still plays it now. It's just a shame that in reality it was wow with yellow swords. I left wow because I was board of wow, I left swtor because I was board of wow.
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    One main city, one path through the game. All pvp is 5 v 5 for some reason. Lag is terrible. All gear looks just the same as all other gear. The mounts don't fit within the lore of the game. Now we have Drow running around. A Drow running around Neverwinter? I can't even have a dual with anyone???

If Blizzard had a tool like the foundry I'd bet my right leg that at least 50% of authors would jump ship.
    As lore correct as you feel like, no dialog limits, and you start mapping with a blank sheet of paper.
    joshua_test.jpg
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Dear NW authors,

Greetings from a STO Foundry author.

Season updates break our missions. It is the order of things. It is a constant in the universe. Updates break your missions.

In the best of times, we merely have to fix things ourselves. In the worst of times, we have to wait for dev fixes.

Among the ways in which game updates have broken missions for the past two years:

missing dialogues, botched maps, broken interacts, missing npcs, etc. etc.

At least your update has something to do with the Foundry. Our latest update had nothing to do with the Foundry, yet it broke a ton of stuff. After 3 months, there are still broken missions out there, due to botched maps.

Welcome to the Foundry. At least your Lead Producer and general dev team prioritize your Foundry. Ours do not.

I even see someone called a "Foundry Producer" directly communicating with you via the forums. I really wish we had one of those people. But, we do not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kirksplat wrote: »
    Much needed awesome perspective.

Well said, stuff happens. MMOs are complex machines where one minor change can have drastic effects. What matters is how its handled, after the fact.

And Rob, has been on top of things like a pro. His reply in this topic, on a Sunday no less, was pure class ringing with honest concern and sympathy.

As a long time Cryptic player still somewhat active in both STO and CO. I can honestly say im seriously impressed with the attention this is getting. Perhaps im jaded from simply being neglected in the dank dark closet called CO. But I know the folks there would sell of vital body parts for a faction of the attention the foundry here is getting.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah. I briefly tried out STO Foundry. I long played CO.

NW Foundry is way, way, WAY better off. You guys have nooooo idea how bad Cryptic can be.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In general, I would love it if you folks could have a discussion without witty snarks at each other. There is no need for pissing contests.

On the F2P Model: You want to see what I feel is a great F2P model? Rift. (remember this is my opinion)
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    the most important thing that Foundry authors were asking for: DRAGONS.

I would hardly call dragons the most important thing authors were asking for.

How about some expanded options for common details, such as walls (especially with doorframes), floors, furniture?
    How about an ability to change clothing on NPCs rather than just being able to change armor, and to select any of the clothing options already in the game?
    How about actual timers, so that we don't keep having to come up with workarounds?
    How about a checkbox for "turn off speech"? (ex: so that our re-skinned Nasher that is now something else doesn't keep spouting pro-rebellion slogans)
    How about a detail scaler?
    How about more basic monsters? Reskin only goes so far. Classic non-boss non-humanoid D&D monsters, like slimes/puddings/oozes, carrion crawlers, displacer beasts, rust monsters, the already-in-game gelatinous cube, stirges, otyughs, xorn, salamanders, owlbears, ettin, umber hulks, giant rats/bats/frogs/centipedes/crayfish/snakes, fire beetles, shriekers/violet fungi, lurker above/trapper, sphinx, manticores, etc.? I'd rather have a lot more basic monsters to choose from than bosses.
    How about some basic "or" logic functionality?

These are just the first few things that came to mind. There are many, many other things that I have lamented not being available, many of which should be considered basic building blocks. Sure, dragons and dungeon-style bosses would be nice. However, if I had a choice between a significantly expanded wall/floor size and texture set (especially with doorframes designed to fit the various doors), and having dragons, I'll take the former.
  • Options
    imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Perhaps im jaded from simply being neglected in the dank dark closet called CO. But I know the folks there would sell of vital body parts for a faction of the attention the foundry here is getting.

I'm a lifetime subscriber to CO, having bought lifer at the end of beta. I have literally dozens of characters there. I haven't been back much in the last year. Why? Two words: Perfect World.
    Ever since they took over, what little attention CO was getting has transformed into an endless succession of buy-with-zen vehicles. Unless they slipped one in while I've been away, there hasn't been a new zone since Vibora Bay, and that was ages ago.
    So yeah, I'd love for there to be the kind of attention over there that we're getting over here. I'd REALLY love for there to be a foundry over there.

*sigh*