test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update Regarding Nightmare Lockbox

Comments

• spudviciousspudvicious Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For the record, Cryptic has created and stuck with the cash shop model since Champions came out way back when and that game was a sub only at first, same STO. Cryptic is just as interested in it, if not more so than PWE or who ever has or will own them. It's a model they've built into their games from the get go even before PWE, if PWE has brought anything to the table it's a secondary currency in game that can be traded in FOR the cash shop currency (with huge sink holes) and the lockboxes (I think)

technically, the only one of cryptic's games that was designed around the cash shop model is neverwinter. Their prior games had to be adapted to it, although yes, that did happen prior to PWE's purchase of the company. Back then, it was Atari running the show, and at the time, Atari was desperate, cash strapped, and squeezing Cryptic for every cent they could get for fear of the axe falling. It was not a fun time to be playing Cryptic games, because while many of us loved them and knew how good they could be, and we had (back then) some halfway decent contact with the devs, we didn't have much we could do except stand there and try to play as Cryptic's development resources were being siphoned away. Turning Champs free-to-play and building up the cash shop (which had already been put in game by then) was the only thing that kept them running, but only for a while, and Star Trek was only holding on because of die-hard trek fans.

And then, Atari finally cut the cord of the company they had squeezed dry. Thankfully (not sure if I'm being sarcastic here or not), PWE came along and saved Cryptic and their three games (NW was already in development as a semi-secret project), and we knew what that would likely bring, but you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both, and there you have the facts of life.

nowadays, seeing how some companies put the cash shop above everything, I don't know if that's a good thing anymore, but at least these games are still here. Situations like this remind us where PWE's real priorities are, and I am personally pretty suspicious about what really happened behind the scenes of this so-called bug.

Not every company/game out there will put their cash shop above everything, and I can think of one or two that have proven recently how they care about their players more and are willing to take a money hit in order to do what's right. That's another discussion, though. I just hope/wish that PWE/Cryptic turns into one of those.
  • zaflartzaflart Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    wjweller wrote: »
    Shouldn't PWE have the 'F' rating though? Don't you think Cryptic's hands are tied with a lot of the cash shop issues? After all it's PWE's model not Cryptic's. Just something to think about. I've seen the reputation of good dev teams ruined when CS models were introduced to successful games, yet the Dev team normally doesn't handle that end of the product.

The lockbox bug is definitely as coding error though... how they're allowed to handle it is most likely limited by PWE.

In a perfect world yes, (no pun intended), but Cryptic has sold their integrity to the highest bidder, on more than one occasion.
  • sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just said my last goodbyes to the few people I played with.

Enjoy what's left of the game, everyone.
  • sarranspsarransp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just said my last goodbyes to the few people I played with.

Enjoy what's left of the game, everyone.

I feel like this is, sadly, all too common these days. In the words of a weird generation, "smh".
  • koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    sarransp wrote: »
    I feel like this is, sadly, all too common these days. In the words of a weird generation, "smh".
    You can tell because it's been almost three hours since the post you quote, and there's not one "give me your stuff".
  • tidalwave082tidalwave082 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd honestly love to hear what games do value customers more than constant profit, my entire gaming group would like to give them a try.
  • rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I'd honestly love to hear what games do value customers more than constant profit, my entire gaming group would like to give them a try.

While I doubt there has ever been a major release to totally do that, but once upon a time there were studios that at least seemed to genuinely want to create good quality stuff and make their customers happier not just spend more. Bioware, Westwood Associates, Interplay, Black Isle, to name a few. They are all gone now, or in a form people like me no longer recognise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
  • kaoriel1983kaoriel1983 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013

At least there are some gaming companies out there who have better customer service (because they seem to understand that only happy customers are willing to invest more money). Of course, if I would name them, my comment would be deleted. I certainly have had really good service in other MMORPGs, i.e. GMs helping you with your problems.
    In NEVERWINTER, I'm still waiting for a GM to reply to my ticket 19 or 20 hours after I posted it. I regret that I have supported the game with my money because I actually thought it would be worth supporting. But that has to be two-sided, not one-sided. If I won't get any help with my problem at all (can't play the new content because the waterfall doesn't open up, even after playing the quests twice!), then I'll be really pissed off and will probably play some good old classic (offline) RPGs. What a waste of money - so disappointed!
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    At least there are some gaming companies out there who have better customer service (because they seem to understand that only happy customers are willing to invest more money). Of course, if I would name them, my comment would be deleted. I certainly have had really good service in other MMORPGs, i.e. GMs helping you with your problems.
    In NEVERWINTER, I'm still waiting for a GM to reply to my ticket 19 or 20 hours after I posted it. I regret that I have supported the game with my money because I actually thought it would be worth supporting. But that has to be two-sided, not one-sided. If I won't get any help with my problem at all (can't play the new content because the waterfall doesn't open up, even after playing the quests twice!), then I'll be really pissed off and will probably play some good old classic (offline) RPGs. What a waste of money - so disappointed!

Unfortunately, you won't get a response to your ticket in less than 24 hours, let alone 19 or 20. It's the weekend and therefore there is no one in CS to respond to tickets until Monday at minimum. Sorry.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • tidalwave082tidalwave082 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You aren't kidding. I play STO, CO, and now NW and I have never gotten a response to an issue for any of them that took less that 3 day to a week to reply to, no matter how small the problem or urgent. I've played other games where if something broke and you were stuck, you could send a ticket and not only get a reply within hours BUT actually get someone in game to come and fix it or help you by pass it. Here, I can wait an entire week to get a response that's clearly generic 90% of the time with no one having read my problem. That's what this whole disrespectful action by Cryptic feels like, we're voicing our opinion, but no one is going to read it except the mods who will either delete, hide, or move it. *shrugs* But I must say I'm impressed to finally see a thread where people stand up for what they believe in and themselves and not get trolled for their bravery.

• kaoriel1983kaoriel1983 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Unfortunately, you won't get a response to your ticket in less than 24 hours, let alone 19 or 20. It's the weekend and therefore there is no one in CS to respond to tickets until Monday at minimum. Sorry.

They really have no GMs during the weekends? Wow. Just wow. That, by the way, comes from someone whose day off is Wednesday - working weekends really is quite normal these days. And from a company that has a product which is online every day, 24 hours a day, you would also expect service during the weekends.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They really have no GMs during the weekends? Wow. Just wow. That, by the way, comes from someone whose day off is Wednesday - working weekends really is quite normal these days. And from a company that has a product which is online every day, 24 hours a day, you would also expect service during the weekends.

Yes, as a matter of fact. The days a company chooses to operate or not to operate with a full staff is at their absolute and total discretion--whether we like it or not. Anyone who'd have any sort of authority to make a comment on the matter wouldn't be in the office til Monday at earliest.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Just popping in to point out a few things:

- The Developers are working all weekend this week. This was a major update they are taking all the steps necessary to resolve as many issues which arrived as quickly a humanly possible.

- Since they are working throughout the weekend expect to see a patch for many issues early next week. They already have some fixes out on Neverwinter Preview!

- Support is indeed working this weekend. As I had said Fury of the Feywild is a major update and PWE is having support staff work through the weekend in order to make sure tickets are dealt with as quickly as possible. However due to the number of tickets, especially after a large update like Fury of the Feywild, response times may be longer than 24 Hours.

- As lewstelamon01 pointed out, support has to act within the bounds of action dictated to them. If there are issues with updates then courses of action be decided by people in authority and such courses of action are never decided on a whim. Normally new plans of action will require speaking with various different departments and teams to look into possible causes and solutions.

Problems only occur when things don't go as planned. Please remain patient while Cryptic and PWE make plans to content with the problems. They will get back to you as soon as possible! :)
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes, as a matter of fact. The days a company chooses to operate or not to operate with a full staff is at their absolute and total discretion--whether we like it or not. Anyone who'd have any sort of authority to make a comment on the matter wouldn't be in the office til Monday at earliest.
    Where I worked before I did retire we didn't go to work at monday at earliest. We did go to work at monday at 9.00 a.m. or we had to to justify our absence, and it was to be a valid justification like an illness certified by a M.D. if it was an all day absence orherwise if we were simply late we had to stay overtime to balance the time that we lost :p
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    People work when the company they work for dictates they have to work. This weekend the Cryptic Devs must work to get issues resolved ASAP.
    However just because players expect staff members to work 24/7 doesn't mean players can mandate it.

Now please drop the subject as it is all very off topic. :)
    File a complaint to PWE and/or Cryptic if you wish to express your dissatisfaction with that.
  • kittztrixkittztrix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    somedoge wrote: »
    While I do not agree with the "table-top" feeling, I have played some awesome foundry quests. Unfortunately it was a good idea in the wrong hands. I would have much more preferred they gave us a large foundry update than this ridiculous module.

Rollback the whole thing please. Give us more foundry stuff.

Why is it an Either/ Or.... with the phenomenal amount of money the community has poured at this game, its time to pay the piper, nothing free to play here, it gives me that real life feeling of when you have to pay to take a pee.... not good.
    Stop charging foe everything, especially things that to be honest you have no business profiting from like respec, and removal of "already earned and owned" augments/ enhancements... what's that all about? charging to remove these things is simple profiteering.... over and over!?!
    fix the bugs.
    You had a gold mine here, longevity with the foundry, all you needed to do was keep the player base sweet, instead you take every opportunity to RIP 'em off so what will follow is the game will R.I.P and there will be never ending foundry and no one to bother playing, people will draw the line on the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> take... seriously.
  • koboldsmell88koboldsmell88 Banned Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    My opinion is that the dev response to the Nightmare exploit was worse than the exploit itself. As others have said, people may forget the Nightmare exploit, but never how it was handled. -smh-
  • sxarrsxarr Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    yah, i didn't forget... made me quit, really disappointing in how cryptic handled this one
    MaxPower
  • koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    - The Developers are working all weekend this week.
    Anyone who'd have any sort of authority to make a comment on the matter wouldn't be in the office til Monday at earliest.
    This... is perfect. Really, what more needs to be said?
  • sharzadeesharzadee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not fair to beat up on the moderator for doing his/her job. It must be very stressful when things get heated.

I've been playing Neverwinter for about five days now, and pretty much like the game. This controversy is quite interesting.

The players who benefited from the bug are pleased, and those that didn't are jealous. I didn't find any mounts or pets in the lockboxes I opened, and have definitely concluded that the gamble isn't worth it. I'm hoping that if prices drop I might be able to afford a mount/pet off the AH when my Astral diamonds build up. But if the prices stay crazy high, I'll do fine without them. The Feywild package I got has set my characters up with fast mounts and a nice purple pet anyway. Compared to keys, I think the money I spent on the Feywild package was worth it because it benefits all my characters, with no gambling involved.

Perhaps Cryptic will somehow find a way to reduce some of the unhappiness. I'm just waiting to see, since in practical terms, people who managed to capitalize in a massive way on the glitch, are now able to turn around and do some major gold farming with their extra mounts. When everyone's dollar has the same odds, that's fine; but when some customer dollars get special treatment, it's alarming. I think it's very difficult to put a real world value on virtual goods. But errors like this are quite informative.

I'm still hopeful that Cryptic might find a way to root out really bad cases of abuse (using the bug to get zillions of mounts). Apart from that, good or bad (depending on who's talking), I think the issue seems to be over.
  • mikgamerzmikgamerz Member Posts: 57
    edited August 2013
    sharzadee wrote: »
    Not fair to beat up on the moderator for doing his/her job. It must be very stressful when things get heated.

I've been playing Neverwinter for about five days now, and pretty much like the game. This controversy is quite interesting.

The players who benefited from the bug are pleased, and those that didn't are jealous. I didn't find any mounts or pets in the lockboxes I opened, and have definitely concluded that the gamble isn't worth it. I'm hoping that if prices drop I might be able to afford a mount/pet off the AH when my Astral diamonds build up. But if the prices stay crazy high, I'll do fine without them. The Feywild package I got has set my characters up with fast mounts and a nice purple pet anyway. Compared to keys, I think the money I spent on the Feywild package was worth it because it benefits all my characters, with no gambling involved.

Perhaps Cryptic will somehow find a way to reduce some of the unhappiness. I'm just waiting to see, since in practical terms, people who managed to capitalize in a massive way on the glitch, are now able to turn around and do some major gold farming with their extra mounts. When everyone's dollar has the same odds, that's fine; but when some customer dollars get special treatment, it's alarming. I think it's very difficult to put a real world value on virtual goods. But errors like this are quite informative.

I'm still hopeful that Cryptic might find a way to root out really bad cases of abuse (using the bug to get zillions of mounts). Apart from that, good or bad (depending on who's talking), I think the issue seems to be over.

We're not jealous, it's simple. They bought 10-20 boxes and got 5+ horses and we bought 100's and only got 1-2 MAYBE.
  • spudviciousspudvicious Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The players who benefited from the bug are pleased, and those that didn't are jealous.

That's quite an oversimplification, after having read through this thread. There are individuals here who did benefit and still think it was utterly wrong how the company handled it. There are also individuals here who did not care to benefit from it and have major problems with the situation based on any number of reasons such as friends, the damage to the economy, simple plain old principle, and who knows what else. and then there are the people who just want everyone to shut up, which doesn't make sense given that this is a forum that is (theoretically) intended to get people to speak up.

My main server's AD exchange is still up about 20ish% over pre-feywild, and it used to be the one with the best exchange rate for buying zen. last night, it was the worst, but that keeps shifting. items in the auction house are all going up in price, too. some companions (not even the lockbox ones) have tripled or quadrupled in price since this controversy. people are quitting for all manner of reasons, and the only ones who are being encouraged to stay are the ones who cheat and exploit.

Me, I'm not jealous. Only thing I particularly wanted out of the nightmare boxes was the phoera. I think the mount was plain ugly and didn't fit my characters. Personally, I got my phoerae before this bull. I'm personally most bothered by the same thing that most people have cited here: the company's mishandling and mischaracterization of the people who exploited this bug, if it was even unintended at all.
  • galahad01galahad01 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hello All,

I would like to Share my thoughts with you on this latest Lockbox issue.

Just a little insight about me, I started playing NWO at open Beta and I have played several Characters, during this time I have been playing with a friend and when I made a new Character I gave what I could because I wasn't sure I was staying due to early issues, but I stuck with it and here I am today with 2 Characters.

Now I understand that every game has issues that is a no brainer, but from what I have been reading and if it is accurate people have been reporting bugs even from the test server so I am even baffled as to how anyone from Cryptic/PWE can be surprised when they learn of this stuff.

Now compared to the Caturday thing and this Lockbox issue, I have to agree the amount of time between the two is big, but in my eyes no less important from my perspective. If anything the lockbox time frame should have made it easier to find the people ( Whomever they were, the honest player base and the exploiters alike ) who took advantage of this, especially the ones who knew about it from the test server.

I would think from a developer side you go in look for the influx of Mounts in accounts and get rid of them, now I say this not knowing what it takes from a technical side of what would be involved to do this seemingly simple thing. However.... I know one thing, Cryptic's stance:
    Hi all,

During a brief period of time after Fury of the Feywild was live, the success rate for getting the elusive Heavy Inferno Nightmare Mount was higher than expected and we were glad to see some lucky players be rewarded. From this point on, we do not plan on performing any rollbacks and we've made the necessary adjustments going forward. If you received a Heavy Inferno Nightmare Mount during this time, enjoy it!

Sincerely,
    Pin

Yikes!!!!! Ok NO rollback, I can go with that Due to the short amount of time, there might be other ways to seek out the Rogue Mounts, but to refer to anyone, ( Supporter/Exploiter ) as Lucky Players, and to Enjoy their mount!!!! That is just wrong in soooo many ways. And this was something that WAS a known issue way before this took place, and these people knowingly took advantage of a situation.

Now I have been reading other posts with reference to Forum Rules of Conduct, I totally agree, but one can't come on to the forums and enforce Rules of Conduct, and expect people to abide by them, when those at Cryptic/PWE don't even seem to take the in game Rules of Conduct seriously and award Exploitative/Dis-Honest behavior.

What would have I done? Well, First and Foremost What do The Rules of Conduct state in such a Case?

If it were me I would have done this,

Due to the short amount of time between server going up and down I would have just came on and said that Due to the recent exploit " Anyone " who opened a box during this time shall have the item(s) removed from their account(s) keys and/or boxes used during this exploit time will be forfeit.

Eg. If I took advantage of this and had 100 boxes and 100 keys, any box I choose to open, and any item I received during this time frame would be lost forever. ( lets face it people if you started to open boxes during this time then you knew why you were doing it! )

Then Via avenues with in the company Logs would be scanned with a fine tooth comb and the exploiters found and dealt with, in a manner in such a way that " The Rules of Conduct " apply.

I probably could go on and on about this but I am not writing this to ridicule you just give you some Honest feed back of how this Supportive player want to see this game succeed,

The Question is " Do the people within Cryptic/PWE Want to see this game Succeed "

Right now even my confidence is shaken,

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

" May The Wind be Always At Your Back "
  • sharzadeesharzadee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Regardless of whether it's justifiable jealousy or logical outrage over unequal treatment, of course the situation is not fair. If everyone had known that there'd be a sanctioned free for all on the lockboxes, far more players would have taken advantage of it because it was smiled upon. It's a bit like getting a pat on the back for robbing the store. It feels like some players got preferential treatment while others were ignored.

Lol, if this had happened in Eve Online, the players would have gotten the gaming media involved to publicize their issues. They're very aggressive in Eve, sometimes almost on the level of bullying CCP.
  • drdoodlemandrdoodleman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Regardless of whether it's justifiable jealousy or logical outrage over unequal treatment, of course the situation is not fair. If everyone had known that there'd be a sanctioned free for all on the lockboxes, far more players would have taken advantage of it because it was smiled upon. It's a bit like getting a pat on the back for robbing the store. It feels like some players got preferential treatment while others were ignored.

Lol, if this had happened in Eve Online, the players would have gotten the gaming media involved to publicize their issues. They're very aggressive in Eve, sometimes almost on the level of bullying CCP.

Exactly. This is some BS right here. Its not like people exploited some chest available in game to everyone, they exploited something that people have spent REAL LIFE MONEY ON, so the real life money value has been damaged! Cryptic has screwed the value of all the keys ever bought by allowing these mounts to remain. They should atleast lower the cost of keys to something equal to their real value, 5, 10 zen? LOL!
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?841-The-Lower-Depths
    If you want a real look at the state of the game/customer service, check out the forum where they move all the "deleted"/banned "spam"
  • lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    mikgamerz wrote: »
    We're not jealous, it's simple. They bought 10-20 boxes and got 5+ horses and we bought 100's and only got 1-2 MAYBE.

The stupid thing is thoe the longer they dont do something about this the more angry people get and the more people on the fence about the issue they start to see the reason why this should be fixed.

If i spent money on 100keys and only got one nightmare from before the exploit. I would be super angry.

I guess the piont the devs are making we all should start to exploit every little exploit to the major ones. The game model now is "Exploit to Win"
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    galahad01 wrote: »

Now I have been reading other posts with reference to Forum Rules of Conduct, I totally agree, but one can't come on to the forums and enforce Rules of Conduct, and expect people to abide by them, when those at Cryptic/PWE don't even seem to take the in game Rules of Conduct seriously and award Exploitative/Dis-Honest behavior.

I honestly don't care much about the boxes themselves. I care about exactly this, the explicit approval of dishonest behavior within the game.
    galahad01 wrote: »
    The Question is " Do the people within Cryptic/PWE Want to see this game Succeed "

I am sure they do care. I do not think they have the organizational infrastructure in place to catch bugs like this that are blindingly obvious in hindsight. I do think in this instance they put expedience (possibly influenced by the short-term dollar gain, not sure) way above doing the right thing.

I honestly believe this game could be far superior to World of Warcraft, both as a game and financially. It will only achieve that status if they invest in the short-term success (sufficient development, QA and customer service resources) and long-term success (making decisions about issues like this one firmly rooted in the principals set forth in the rules).
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • satanous1satanous1 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I feel like I was cheated. I'm never spending another dime on this game. Clean up your act, PWE/Cryptic. This kind of thing should have never been allowed, but I guess ethics can't get in the way of profits.
  • lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I am sure they do care. I do not think they have the organizational infrastructure in place to catch bugs like this that are blindingly obvious in hindsight. I do think in this instance they put expedience (possibly influenced by the short-term dollar gain, not sure) way above doing the right thing.

I honestly believe this game could be far superior to World of Warcraft, both as a game and financially. It will only achieve that status if they invest in the short-term success (sufficient development, QA and customer service resources) and long-term success (making decisions about issues like this one firmly rooted in the principals set forth in the rules).

They were told during the test server that this was an issue. What do they need more then that. Come on really. They knew about this and they then thought humm we could sell alot of keys when this goes live.

I agree this game could of been better then WoW. I was before the open beta saying this game was going to beat WoW hands down. Then i learned it was going to be F2P. That dropped my expectations in a big way. Then the soft launch that was a huge mistake also. The game since its f2P is nothing but a cash grab. Even now as we just seen an exploit cash grab. I bet you 10K AD in the year to come we will see another exploit cash grab happen again. The next one will be engineered for them to make even more money off of us.
  • koboldsmell88koboldsmell88 Banned Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    The dev's response to this situation was pretty bad. JS.
This discussion has been closed.