What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Update Regarding Nightmare Lockbox

Comments

• Options
    trollmctrollertrollmctroller Banned Users Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It is only free AD/ Zen if people are willing to buy the mounts from them. Just them getting a bunch of mounts doesnt instantly translate into millions of AD. They still have to go through and sell the mounts and hope that theirs get bought over others and that there are enough people willing to buy them.

This whole event isnt that devastating to the economy. There is a surplus of the mounts and so the demand will fall out for them, and it is just moving AD around that is already there. It isnt creating any new AD like Caturday did.
    Also, Im guessing the main reason there isnt a rollback like caturday is because during caturday people were immediately exchanges the ADs they made to Zen, costing PWE ALOT of money. In this case the people aren't doing that just yet because they need to sell the mounts they received first. Watch once those mounts get sold and watch all of the Zen on the exchange dissapear. They will be kicking themselves for not doing a rollback when they are out possibly 10s of thousands of dollars in Zen.

Tis what i said =).
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2013
    This issue isn't just the damage that it caused to the economy - in fact that's the slightest issue at stake here. The issue is the unhappy customers. The people who spent good money on keys and never got a Nightmare. The people who witnessed Cryptic, on an occasion before this one like Caturday, say that exploiting is a bannable offense. So there are players like us, who either don't want to damage the economy or don't want to be banned from the game, who don't take part in the exploit. But apparently, these exploiters were lucky.

The issue is that Cryptic has set a precedent for exploiters being unpunished - an opposite reaction that they've taken to exploiters in the past - and that this in turn is punishing for every player who considered himself a good customer for not exploiting. Because the good, honest players who choose not to exploit aren't the lucky ones. We're the suckers.

For those who have said it, you're right: it's too late for a rollback now. But that doesn't mean it's too late to make things right.
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    This issue isn't just the damage that it caused to the economy - in fact that's the slightest issue at stake here. The issue is the unhappy customers. The people who spent good money on keys and never got a Nightmare. The people who witnessed Cryptic, on an occasion before this one like Caturday, say that exploiting is a bannable offense. So there are players like us, who either don't want to damage the economy or don't want to be banned from the game, who don't take part in the exploit. But apparently, these exploiters were lucky.

The issue is that Cryptic has set a precedent for exploiters being unpunished - an opposite reaction that they've taken to exploiters in the past - and that this in turn is punishing for every player who considered himself a good customer for not exploiting. Because the good, honest players who choose not to exploit aren't the lucky ones. We're the suckers.

For those who have said it, you're right: it's too late for a rollback now. But that doesn't mean it's too late to make things right.

And how would they go about making things right? Retroactively banning players? I actually hope this would happen. Giving out items to those who didnt exploit? Not going to happen.
  • Options
    s32ialxs32ialx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And how would they go about making things right? Retroactively banning players? I actually hope this would happen. Giving out items to those who didnt exploit? Not going to happen.

if this game is anything like today's games everything from character build items bank feats position location actions are stored in a Database most likely MySQL they just simple run a query looking to see which accounts have X amount of Nightmare mounts and were earned between S time and K Time. after that they can Filter how many players have A amount of said mounts and from there start banning / deleting said extra Mounts.
  • Options
    princey1980princey1980 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And how would they go about making things right?

Giving everyone who has purchased keys in the past a nightmare mount would go a long way.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2013

I don't have any illusions about being able to make demands of the company. All I can really do is voice my opinion as an unhappy customer. It's up to Cryptic to figure out how to turn that around.

They turned the expansion launch day - which should have been a great success - into the single most disappointing series of experiences I've had with this company. And I didn't even play the expansion content. Frankly, I haven't much wanted to log in.
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    s32ialx wrote: »
    if this game is anything like today's games everything from character build items bank feats position location actions are stored in a Database most likely MySQL they just simple run a query looking to see which accounts have X amount of Nightmare mounts and were earned between S time and K Time. after that they can Filter how many players have A amount of said mounts and from there start banning / deleting said extra Mounts.

But again what was the exploit that was being used? What part of the coding were they going around that wasnt intended? The chances for the mount to drop were unintentionally changed for whatever reason, but using a key to open a lock box always had the chance of getting a mount.

This isnt like Caturday where people were going around the system duping their AD by inputting a negative amount.
    No if that's how it looked I am sorry I was using that image as to say they will not just log in and give there friends items the will take them to GM HQ and let them go wild on the NPC's there. it was someone else that was talking about gm's and there friends and I quoted them and posted the picture sadly they were all assimilated.

What NPCs are there? Do you have photos of the island or wherever it is? Or are you still just basing this off of ONE photo.
  • Options
    dadeathwish79dadeathwish79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

ranncore you still cryin on the forums and sorry to say if there was so many unhappy customers i think this thread would be a couple hundred posts by now being there is hundreds of thousands of people who paid money i for one opened 50 boxes before and never got one and you dont hear me crying like a baby, yes i got just ONE out of 5 keys at time of this but i really think the ones crying still are the ones who never got one or had the chance too. If you wanna talk about people ruining the game maybe you should look at ring farmers and such.

Come on people keep the tears inside and grab some bawlz and get over it
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    But again what was the exploit that was being used? What part of the coding were they going around that wasnt intended? The chances for the mount to drop were unintentionally changed for whatever reason, but using a key to open a lock box always had the chance of getting a mount.

This isnt like Caturday where people were going around the system duping their AD by inputting a negative amount.

What NPCs are there? Do you have photos of the island or wherever it is? Or are you still just basing this off of ONE photo.

The players took unfair advantage over an unintended malfunction in code to gain an item in game. In video game vernacular, that's called "cheating" or "exploiting." The way I described it there is almost IDENTICAL to the way it's described in the Terms of Service.

The real difference between this event and Caturday is only in the way Cryptic has responded. Previously, by banning exploiters, and this time, by calling them lucky.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The players took unfair advantage over an unintended malfunction in code to gain an item in game. In video game vernacular, that's called "cheating" or "exploiting." The way I described it there is almost IDENTICAL to the way it's described in the Terms of Service.

The real difference between this event and Caturday is only in the way Cryptic has responded. Previously, by banning exploiters, and this time, by calling them lucky.

I would consider them lucky too that they arent being banned, I wish they would be though. But as we have seen 2 different reactions to 2 different situations we cant say a certain precedent has been set.
  • Options
    sarv10sarv10 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    raath13 wrote: »
    Except yesterday wasn't a "normal" day. It was a patch day after they had announced changes to the lockboxes.

Did Cryptic, at anytime before they took the servers down, say that it wasn't working as intended? If not, then how can you prove that the players didn't think this was an intentional change by Cryptic?

didn't know there was patch day... really? /doublefacepalm

every used/heard of rhetorical device? no?

sorry, but every person with a bit of sense would know that this was not intentional.
    This mount would not be rare anymore and also if cryptic wanted to be this mount not rare anymore, they would have announced the higher chances to maximize the profit.
  • Options
    s32ialxs32ialx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

10. User Conduct

You must observe these Terms, all Rules of Conduct, all applicable laws and all basic rules of etiquette and common courtesy when using the Website and the Service. Any conduct that violates the law in an offline, real world community is also a violation of these terms. PWE will not tolerate any illegal or offensive conduct.
    Without limiting the foregoing, in addition to the User Content rules set forth in Section 10 above, you agree not to take any of the following actions:

• (L) Using or exploiting any bugs, errors, or design flaws to obtain unauthorized access to the Service or to gain an unfair advantage over other players,
    They said in the chat (Which is barely readable on the stream videos available on twitch.tv) that they went to said area to get the keys to unlock the zones so they can skip doing the campaign

and yes it is like caturday because these players have 10+ up to and maybe even more then 100+ nightmare mounts which they can stockpile ad almost as bad as the caturday event. to either
    • (1) Resell the AD via the auction to players via there gold website or
    • (2) gain free zen from ill-gotten AD sales via the auction.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    10. User Conduct

You must observe these Terms, all Rules of Conduct, all applicable laws and all basic rules of etiquette and common courtesy when using the Website and the Service. Any conduct that violates the law in an offline, real world community is also a violation of these terms. PWE will not tolerate any illegal or offensive conduct.
    Without limiting the foregoing, in addition to the User Content rules set forth in Section 10 above, you agree not to take any of the following actions:

• (L) Using or exploiting any bugs, errors, or design flaws to obtain unauthorized access to the Service or to gain an unfair advantage over other players,
    They said in the chat (Which is barely readable on the stream videos available on twitch.tv) that they went to said area to get the keys to unlock the zones so they can skip doing the campaign

Them having multiples of the same mount gives them an advantage over me? How so?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I would consider them lucky too that they arent being banned, I wish they would be though. But as we have seen 2 different reactions to 2 different situations we cant say a certain precedent has been set.

I don't know how to make this any more clear. The terms of service clearly state that cheating is a bannable offense and describe what qualifies. Taking advantage of this situation clearly qualifies. The precedent was set, in writing, by Cryptic. The only "luck" these players had is that Cryptic completely dropped the ball here.

10. User Conduct

(k) Cheat or utilize unauthorized exploits in connection with the Games or the Service;
    (l) Using or exploiting any bugs, errors, or design flaws to obtain unauthorized access to the Service or to gain an unfair advantage over other players
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Them having multiples of the same mount gives them an advantage over me? How so?

The advantage was the drop rate you idiot. Not to mention the obvious advantage in PvP.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

since the mounts are not bound it allows them to stock pile ad. as I made the example in my post i edited it for more clarification.
  • Options
    dornodiosmiosdornodiosmios Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I don't know how to make this any more clear. The terms of service clearly state that cheating is a bannable offense and describe what qualifies. Taking advantage of this situation clearly qualifies. The precedent was set, in writing, by Cryptic. The only "luck" these players had is that Cryptic completely dropped the ball here.

10. User Conduct

(k) Cheat or utilize unauthorized exploits in connection with the Games or the Service;
    (l) Using or exploiting any bugs, errors, or design flaws to obtain unauthorized access to the Service or to gain an unfair advantage over other players

Exactly, and the 'error' was the fact they misplaced a decimal point for the nightmare mounts to drop from the lockboxes. Even then, I can completely understand letting everybody who opened a box keep one mount per character. Not going through and deleting the numerous mounts a number of individuals stockpiled is BS though and they know it. I guess they couldn't bother to keep the server down another 10 mins to write a script to fix the problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The advantage was the drop rate you idiot. Not to mention the obvious advantage in PvP.

Yes that is quite the advantage. I can see how having 10-20 of the same mount would give quite the advantage in PVP. And the drop rate wasnt an advantage it was a mixup in coding. The only advantage would be that they have more items they can try to sell then you do. Boo hoo.
  • Options
    trollmctrollertrollmctroller Banned Users Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes that is quite the advantage. I can see how having 10-20 of the same mount would give quite the advantage in PVP. And the drop rate wasnt an advantage it was a mixup in coding. The only advantage would be that they have more items they can try to sell then you do. Boo hoo.

I can honestly see where your coming from. Though my problem isnt so much with what actually happened but with the way it got handled and told to the public. They are just really bad at communicating with there playerbase.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

You should join PR for these guys, you're great. I totally feel better about this situation now.

Having 20 million AD mounts is certainly an unfair advantage over me.
    Having 1 million AD mount, obtained through an EXPLOIT, is an advantage over me. I don't have a 110% speed mount. I paid for tons of keys. But none of mine were bugged.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I can honestly see where your coming from. Though my problem isnt so much with what actually happened but with the way it got handled and told to the public. They are just really bad at communicating with there playerbase.

Oh yeah the way the handled it was actually a shot in the foot for them. I honestly dont know how they couldnt have thought to have someone explain it in a much more...professional way.
    You should join PR for these guys, you're great. I totally feel better about this situation now.

Nothing but you getting your way will make you feel better, and everyone here knows it.
  • Options
    thebrimanthebriman Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Since some of the mods obviously don't agree with this, can we get some of YOUR opinions? I think somebody said mods are allowed to have opinions. Are we wrong or do YOU think this is fair?

Hi goddess, I'm coming rather late to this conversation but I'll do my best. Unfortunately, due to my job and other IRL craziness, I haven't even been able to log in to the game since Feywild went live, and have had very limited forum time as well. So I haven't expressed any opinion on this matter so far due to my not really having been around to experience any of this first, or even second, hand. But since you asked ...

On a personal level, I can't say I'm really worked up one way or the other, probably because I never cared much for the Nightmare mount anyway. I've opened a few lockboxes, but always just as a "what-the-heck-let's-see-what-I-get", never specifically trying for the mount. However, I can definitely see how someone who spent a lot of time and resources trying to get it would feel their efforts had been trivialized by others getting one so easily.

As far as the effect on the economy, it's hard for me to make judgements there without knowing how many extra mounts are out there. Since I don't have access to that information, I don't really feel like I can come to an informed opinion. In such a case, I'll heed Lincoln's advice and remain silent.

As far as my opinion on how it's been handled, I don't necessarily think that non-action is ideal, but I'm not really sure what the best course would have been. The fact that it was such a short period of time could be used as an argument either way: 1) With it only being such a short time, how much exploitation could really have happened?, or 2) With it only being such a short time, what's the damage of a rollback? If you take the stance of #1 and do nothing, you anger everyone who feels cheated by others getting something they haven't really earned. If you choose #2, you anger not only everyone who got the mounts, but others who had nothing to do with it and are just upset that their time was wasted. Either way, you disrupt and potentially upset a significant portion of the player base.

So I guess my TL/DR answer is that it's a sticky situation and I really don't know what the best answer is.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Nothing but you getting your way will make you feel better, and everyone here knows it.

I've made it quite clear that I don't have a way to get. I haven't made a single suggestion as to what Cryptic should do about this. But the reason we're all here is because they need to do SOMETHING.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Yes they now can resell there ad FREE 700k+ add per mount for free zen or to gold sellers for straight up cash.

lets say
    125zen=$1.25 us even if they bought the keys individually that's $12.50 US and they can exchange if they sell the mounts and get lets say 700K per mount that exchanges to at the current rate of 397AD/1Zen 1765 x 10 = 17650Zen $176.50 worth of free zen. and thats just for the ones that exploited 10 mounts and don't think they won't sell. $164 profit
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yes they now can resell there ad FREE 700k+ add per mount for free zen or to gold sellers for straight up cash.

lets say
    125zen=$1.25 us even if they bought the keys individually that's $12.50 US and they can exchange if they sell the mounts and get lets say 700K per mount that exchanges to at the current rate of 397AD/1Zen 1765 x 10 = 17650Zen $176.50 worth of free zen. and thats just for the ones that exploited 10 mounts and don't think they won't sell. $164 profit

And thanks to how economies work, that would only be true if they were able to sell every single mount for 700k. With the influx of mounts the demand for them goes down and the supply is still really high. Therefore the price for the mounts falls significantly.
  • Options
    dornodiosmiosdornodiosmios Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    And thanks to how economies work, that would only be true if they were able to sell every single mount for 700k. With the influx of mounts the demand for them goes down and the supply is still really high. Therefore the price for the mounts falls significantly.

Except they are selling for over 800k right now on mindflayer.

You are assuming everybody will rush to sell them at once. People are not stupid and they will horde them selling off a mount only when the price has risen to near previous amounts.

2 weeks ago when I was buying my first mount I considered the nightmare mount and at that time with a little patience you could get one for 650k, with a little luck and for 700k no problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    LOL, I kind of cringed when I read his 'non-answer' answer as well.

Yeah, that was pretty disgusting.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Except they are selling for over 800k right now on mindflayer.

How much they're selling for is irrelevant if the only ones being sold were illegitimately obtained. A high price is only indicative of just how lucky these exploiters are.

By the way, they're dirt cheap on all the gold spammer sites. Guess they got lucky too.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    By the way, they're dirt cheap on all the gold spammer sites.

which furthers our proof that PWE has there hands in helping the gold spammer sites make money.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    which furthers our proof that PWE has there hands in helping the gold spammer sites make money.

You and your proof... Where can I buy a tin foil hat of the same quality?
This discussion has been closed.