test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Update Regarding Nightmare Lockbox

Comments

• goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wow that really sucks, and there should be some kind of recompense for that kind of loss. Especially as it wasnt your fault at all. Have the rest of the crafting processes finished? And are those assets gone as well?

I'm too scared to even click get rewards because I see nothing in currently used section. And somebody said this bug is because I tried to make another hero and if I cancel I'll only get 4 adventurers back but none of my hero's.:(
    Two minutes ago
    sazq.jpg
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I'm too scared to even click get rewards because I see nothing in currently used section. And somebody said this bug is because I tried to make another hero and if I cancel I'll only get 4 adventurers back but none of my hero's.:(
    Two minutes ago

I honestly would wait and see if there is a hotfix or anything for it. I wonder if this effects the Gateway as well as Ingame.
  • siestrionsiestrion Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Two minutes ago
    sazq.jpg

I had this same issue. I sent in a support ticket and so far no response. If it's anything like my last support ticket, I won't get a response for a week. I lost my adventurers. As I'm Leadership 19 and want Leadership 20, I'm just going to have to buy more adventurers and hope for the best in a week, when they finally get around to my support ticket. I'm lucky in that I've got 600k AD and most of the gear I want (except for the ridiculously expensive stuff). I really hope they resolve this well for those of us that are losing assets. I don't have high hopes given their track record and how they're trying to sweep the Nightmare mounts under the rug.
  • koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    The thread has been unstickied so it can (they hope) fall into oblivion.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2013
    Wonder how long until we see some... backpedaling.gif

Sadly, it's been over 24 hours since you posted this, and a complete and total lack of dev response on the issue has overwhelmingly generated a "We don't care about exploiters or the paying customers who feel slighted by this," demeanor.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2013

Yep, the first step was consolidating all the unhappy customers in one place, the next step is brushing them under the rug.
  • sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Yes, that's there hope alright. They want everyone to forget this ever happened. Good luck, lol. Neverwinter's reputation is permanently tarnished due to how poorly this was handled. Anyone who knows about this (and there's a lot of people who know) has already spread the word. This game is for the exploiters, now. Honest players should not invest.
  • sarranspsarransp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I will personally bump this thread every single day if I have to. The inexcusable manner in which they have handled all of this should not be left to fall into obscurity.
  • tidalwave082tidalwave082 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Except as I recall, that exploit allowed people to use the Exchange to make huge amounts of free AD, allowing them to then trade to get free Zen, costing Cryptic money. THIS time the exploit required people to buy Zen to get keys to open boxes, so it actually MADE them money instead. Welcome to Cryptic.

miorum wrote: »
    The Caturday rollback.
    edited August 2013
    dray42 wrote: »
    But who ever said that the biggest issue with this situation is the money? The people that are upset the most are the people that are offended at the stance of the Dev's regarding this situation. It's not about how many mounts are in the game. I've had mine for a few weeks, I paid a good chunk of cash to get mine early on before I had a sweet clue how to make any real AD on the game. I'm not complaining about how much money I spent versus how many got it for close to free. I also don't care how the economy was affected. I admit I did think the game economy would have been screwed for a but, but I was wrong. By the time I was able to get back on after their hour of downtime, things seemed relatively normal outside the decrease in Nightmare mount costs.

The AD to Zen exchange seemed normal again as well.

The biggest issue here, and the one that people keep getting away from, is the stance that these developers took on this situation. They have already openly stated that this was a mistake.

This seems to be nothing more than an oversight, a mistake. These things happen, and everyone can be understanding to a certain point when they do. That is, provided appropriate measures are taken to correct the mistake.

Now I know they "promptly" took the servers offline to prevent it from getting worse, but that's not all they should have done.

The fact that the drop rate was so high was unexpected, as stated in the original post from the development team in this topic, was unintended, hence why it was unexpected. Some people were just plain ignorant, and I mean that in the literal sense of the word, it's not an insult if people innocently didn't know, but you can't push this so far as to say nothing that was done was in the wrong simply because you "didn't know". Common sense would tell you that since it wasn't posted anywhere that it should, and the fact that it's concerning an item that is deemed to be rare, that it was a mistake, unintentional.

If common sense can tell you that something is wrong, and you take advantage of it anyway, you're exploiting it. Disagree all you want, but it's illogical to think that you were in the right if you benefitted from this mistake.

Now all these people who have exploited a mistake made by the developers are benefitting. A lot of people, myself included, saw the massive amount of spam announcements where people were getting the mounts and consciously chose not to participate as it was clearly a mistake and would likely be corrected soon. I'm not upset that I didn't take advantage of it when it was going on, because it was also obvious that with a market so diluted with a "rare" item, they would soon become worthless, and I already have one.

So a mistake was exploited as much as these people could in the time they were given. Whether it was real people, gold selling sites, bots, whatever, it's irrelevant. It was a mistake, a bug to a lesser degree, and it was exploited.

The right thing would have been to roll back the game. Explain the situation, the only people that would have been upset are the people who benefitted greatly from the mistake. If the developers were worried about the impact this could have on their reputation, then they clearly didn't think long or hard enough about the implications of the actions they did decide to go with, because keeping the game offline for another hour or two or three to correct a mistake would have gone a lot further to show their integrity than their actual choice was.

Maybe the majority of the people that play this game are the selfish, immoral, dishonest type. I don't know, but clearly there are more than a few who aren't, because we're all here complaining about the decisions the developers made.

The fact of the matter is this. The combination of doing nothing and referring to the exploiters as "lucky" players has resulted in a public statement of implicating their approval of this sort of behaviour, condoning not only exploitation of mistakes made by the company, but dishonest, unfair gameplay as well as a solidifying their stance on similar situations to come. Even if it's only sometimes, everyone now knows that if a bug appears in the game, exploit it to death and you'll likely get to keep what you've gained. That's a sure-fire way to create imbalance in a game and thus ruin it for the general community. I've seen it happen before in other games, like it or not their pay-to-have-cool-stuff model will swiftly evolve to a pay-to-win model, and they don't seem to last as long, or provide an enjoyable atmosphere for the casual gamer.

So with that, I bid adieu to the neverwinter forums. I sincerely hope a developer happens by this post. Because whether directly or indirectly, damage has been done to this game because of your choices yesterday, and so far you've done nothing to amend the damage you've done in the eyes of the honest players who had the willpower to let their integrity trump their selfishness yesterday.

Best post ever. The people calling the shots .... well, they ruined the game and they should definitely be called out on how idiotic the decision was to handle things this way.
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes, that's there hope alright. They want everyone to forget this ever happened. Good luck, lol. Neverwinter's reputation is permanently tarnished due to how poorly this was handled. Anyone who knows about this (and there's a lot of people who know) has already spread the word. This game is for the exploiters, now. Honest players should not invest.

I don't think everyone will forget how this was handled. However, it has only been a day so there is still time for them to attempt to smooth things over. It is now all down to whether they will stick to their guns to save face or bend knee in apology. It is kind of a bad position to be in.

If they stick to what they have already said and sail on, that does kind of give the impression that exploitation is kind of okay and a big statement that they don't care about players as a whole.

If they attempt to make amends, then they appease the outrage and give the impression that enough hate, complaining, and rage can force them to give in to the demands. This is especially true if they do it badly. It is a position of weakness.

There is still time for a final outcome, so we will see.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
    edited August 2013
    azlanfox wrote: »

In my book, Cryptic has a pretty good track record for these kinds of things. I was actually pretty happy with the way Caturday turned out after the worst was over.

It's pretty disheartening how badly they've dropped the ball on this one so far. Major blow to my confidence in them as a developer.
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    azlanfox wrote: »
    I don't think everyone will forget how this was handled. However, it has only been a day so there is still time for them to attempt to smooth things over. It is now all down to whether they will stick to their guns to save face or bend knee in apology. It is kind of a bad position to be in.

If they stick to what they have already said and sail on, that does kind of give the impression that exploitation is kind of okay and a big statement that they don't care about players as a whole.

If they attempt to make amends, then they appease the outrage and give the impression that enough hate, complaining, and rage can force them to give in to the demands. This is especially true if they do it badly. It is a position of weakness.

This is true, it is a tough position to be in. Could have been resolved had they not made the stupid post in the first place, done a brief roll back and returned keys. True there would have been fall out by the VERY FEW who innocently acquired one, but that is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of rage and disgust that the legit players who do not exploit are feeling right now.

Affirming exploiting as OK as their response has done has ruined the game for many. This may seem like a small thing to them, its just some extra mounts, but it is what it represents that is the problem. It is a huge issue because rewarding exploiters at the expense of the legit players will hit them in the pocket book when the legit players leave. Exploiters don't support the game.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    In my book, Cryptic has a pretty good track record for these kinds of things. I was actually pretty happy with the way Caturday turned out after the worst was over.

Err, Caturday was a prime example of dev incompetence. An identical issue had happened in another MMO with the same engine, and yet they didn't bother to check if the system was broken here also.

And I am pretty sure that not even Cryptic's most rabid fanboyz are gullible enough to argue that it had only been going on for the few hours of the roll-back...
    edited August 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    Affirming exploiting as OK as their response has done has ruined the game for many. This may seem like a small thing to them, its just some extra mounts, but it is what it represents that is the problem. It is a huge issue because rewarding exploiters at the expense of the legit players will hit them in the pocket book when the legit players leave. Exploiters don't support the game.

Yep. That pretty much sums up the situation nicely.
  • joebaejoebae Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 40
    edited August 2013
    Only problem is that this bug was already in the game with the patch 2 weeks before release of Feywild.
    I think this has been reported and even been posted about on the forum when it happened the very first time.
    The way this is handled really makes me wonder if PW and Cryptic has a huge lack of knowledge regarding IT Management, seriously, who want's to keep on using money on a game that gets something broken with every patch with a benefit for those who mass exploit, and if that isn't enough they are even allowed to get away with it?

I also wonder if the developers even got grip on their revision control, since again, the AH sort bug is back in game.
    Not to mention the dungeon bugs where you still can skip to the bosses.
    Maybe they kept those on purpose, but wouldn't it be better to fix those bugs and reduce the amount of trash instead?

I also suggest that both PW as Cryptic start to look deep into ITIL and SCRUM.
    edited August 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Err, Caturday was a prime example of dev incompetence. An identical issue had happened in another MMO with the same engine, and yet they didn't bother to check if the system was broken here also.

And I am pretty sure that not even Cryptic's most rabid fanboyz are gullible enough to argue that it had only been going on for the few hours of the roll-back...

Despite how critical of a bug they let go with Caturday, and the fact that it, like most bugs (even this one) could have been avoided with better version control - they took steps to FIX IT and appease the playerbase. This time, they waved off the exploiters as lucky.

Exploiting during Caturday: ban
    Exploiting Lockboxes: you got lucky!

Conflicting messages... bad decision. When I saw Cryptic handing out bans during Caturday, I thought to myself - "that's a company with integrity. They don't care about losing a little money, as long as they're getting rid of at least a small portion of the players who are exploiting bugs in-game to the detriment of all players." This time? "That's a company that doesn't care about either exploiters or dedicated players, as long as their bottom dollar isn't affected."
  • joebaejoebae Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 40
    edited August 2013
    When I saw Cryptic handing out bans during Caturday, I thought to myself - "that's a company with integrity. They don't care about losing a little money, as long as they're getting rid of at least a small portion of the players who are exploiting bugs in-game to the detriment of all players." This time? "That's a company that doesn't care about either exploiters or dedicated players, as long as their bottom dollar isn't affected."

Even worse, they don't care about people who loose Zen by their mistakes.
    A friend of mine had a ticket regarding such an issue, it was closed by PW since no one there looked at it?!
    He just deleted the game and will never play anything hosted by PW again.

As for loosing a little money, they don't loose money over bans, usually the majority of exploiters don't put a dime into the game anyway.
    They are surely going to loose money over taking such weak decisions as posted by the OP.
    edited August 2013
    Despite how critical of a bug they let go with Caturday, and the fact that it, like most bugs (even this one) could have been avoided with better version control - they took steps to FIX IT and appease the playerbase.

Caturday was a idiotic mess up that had far more severe consequences, but there they did make a pathetic attempt at rectifying the situation.

However, I am not sure whether well-meaning but utterly incompetent is actually preferable to sleazy but only majorly incompetent.

YMMV ofc.....
    edited August 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »

YMMV ofc.....

Simple apologies and small tokens of appreciation go a long ways in my book. When I look at my Caturday cape I remember that despite the fact that (major) mistakes were made, Cryptic attempted to rectify the situation for everyone.
  • sturmwaffel2sturmwaffel2 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 219 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Simple apologies and small tokens of appreciation go a long ways in my book. When I look at my Caturday cape I remember that despite the fact that (major) mistakes were made, Cryptic attempted to rectify the situation for everyone.

When I look at my horse, I think of the days of grinding it took to get it and how some lucky exploiters got theirs for free.

I'm sorry, not for free. That's implying they did nothing to gain it. What I meant is they got theirs a lot easier because they took advantage of a bug in the game (read exploited) and they made good returns from it too.
    edited August 2013

Glad to hear that this is enough for you - it says good things about you.

Personally, I got sick of the Dev's stupidity after the first few dozen exploits...
  • zerokunoichi7zerokunoichi7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    dray42 wrote: »
    The biggest issue here, and the one that people keep getting away from, is the stance that these developers took on this situation. They have already openly stated that this was a mistake.

The devs being how they are is what new news? This was known since day one and you guys are all talking about the same <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> after months. It's not like they are changing from one day to another. It's like the slowest progression on making anything good at a slow rate.
    edited August 2013
    Two days ago, the last thing I thought I'd be doing right now is looking at other MMOs. I'm definitely sad to leave this game behind. It was a lot of fun. But I can't continue to support a company that has revealed themselves to back Exploiters over honest players. I hope Neverwinter fails quickly now so that when another company buys up the property I can return to the game, lol.
  • drdoodlemandrdoodleman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've gone through the official replies regarding the disastrous in-game economical effects of the current patch's plethora of exploits and problems and its become clear to me that I should not spend another dime on this game. The boasted/perceived value of exclusive digital items in an MMO is only as good as the developer's reputation and the 'aesthetic' of the items. Where is the aesthetic appeal between all these very-similiar-very-limited-color-range elf races? Wheres the asthetic appeal between the 2 spider mounts(that both require cash.) An MMO needs a good reputation when it comes to handling situations exactly like these. You got to ask how satisfied their *PAYING* customers are at the end of the day? Look around in game and here on the forums. Make some drastic policy changes ASAP cryptic, nothing less will leave you sinking like SWTOR but in a much smaller boat.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?841-The-Lower-Depths
    If you want a real look at the state of the game/customer service, check out the forum where they move all the "deleted"/banned "spam"
  • everythingzen79everythingzen79 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Unreal....
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It will be interesting to see if anything changes.

Big competitor is opening in about ten hours. Let's see what next week brings here.
  • theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    It will be interesting to see if anything changes.

Big competitor is opening in about ten hours. Let's see what next week brings here.

The problem with other "competitors" is that this game is still free to play. There is nothing stopping anyone from playing this and other games. Granted I could never do that, as I have a one MMO sized attention span.
  • sturmwaffel2sturmwaffel2 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 219 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I am in absolute shock still. I mean I knew Cryptic was low, but wow. Every time I look at this thread that is all I can say.

Do you really think that because competitors are not "Free to play" the people who actually spend more than $15/mo on this game won't consider crossing over?
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The problem with other "competitors" is that this game is still free to play. There is nothing stopping anyone from playing this and other games. Granted I could never do that, as I have a one MMO sized attention span.

I can't play more than one at a time either, but I think for a lot of people who play this they/we have spent more than a 2-3 months of sub in a sub MMO plus box.
This discussion has been closed.