test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GCTRL's DPS Burst Cleric

Comments

• gctrlgctrl Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    hey gctrl...quick question...have you tried swapping out lance for sacred flame?...for some reason when i run tests..it seems sacred crits a whole lot more.... i have my own dps build and i do fairly well with it...just wondering if you have run any tests and there's a reason i SHOULD be using lance instead

No there shouldn't be any difference in crit chance. It's preference but Lance is usually better for a dps role.
    Guild: Lemonade Stand | Server: Dragon (Original) | PvP Forever | 1og0s
    * TWITCH * YOUTUBE * MY GUIDES *
  • zalcszalcs Banned Users Posts: 345 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    i think running 4 dots/3 dots + daunting would be better, add in plague fire and tenebrous and you'll be pretty beasty! too bad this game is pay2win and that gear isn't really obtainable without buying zen.
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I was running Daunting with DoTs for a while but eventually swapped it out. I think largely due to I play with a controller and Ground Target Reticles are slightly more challenging to drop witha joystick. As far as Tenebrous if your gonna ever get Tenes now is the time since they are in the Nightmare Lockboxes and those are gone next Thursday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    I was running Daunting with DoTs for a while but eventually swapped it out. I think largely due to I play with a controller and Ground Target Reticles are slightly more challenging to drop witha joystick. As far as Tenebrous if your gonna ever get Tenes now is the time since they are in the Nightmare Lockboxes and those are gone next Thursday.

Yeah Daunting is much more challenging, but can be pretty rewarding if you get good with it. DOTs seem to be more viable over all though, especially against competent players with decent gear.
    zalcs wrote: »
    add in plague fire and tenebrous and you'll be pretty beasty

The idea behind this build is to be able to land extremely high crits so you can efficiently burst down a target, I also wanted to make something strong that didnt require tenebrouses, as they are not only cheesy, but very expensive to the average player. The only viable route in this case is a high amount of armor pen.
  • sinthraxxsinthraxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey, tyvm! Can you test and post your results post-nerf? It would be awesome.
    edited August 2013
    sinthraxx wrote: »
    Hey, tyvm! Can you test and post your results post-nerf? It would be awesome.

Have not tested it yet but from the damage I'm doing on my tank cleric I think it's still very viable for bursting down someone if you are specced for damage.
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What gear to shoot fore since new sets are out. I noticed the new DC set has a lot of ArmorPen. Or keep High Prophets?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    What gear to shoot fore since new sets are out. I noticed the new DC set has a lot of ArmorPen. Or keep High Prophets?

High Prophet is still the best for pure dps, but the new set is a clear second choice and probably the best for any hybrid build.
  • asrathiel01asrathiel01 Member, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hey guys,

Just an FYI, the new Fabled set for cleric is actually not as good as it sounds with the ARP on it as it has been tested and discovered that ARP is not working correctly with most of our encounters. Here is a link in regards to ARP testing etc http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?473031-Chains-can-crit-ArmorPen-and-Repurpose-Soul-broken-Help-me-test

Asra.
    edited September 2013
    Hey guys,

Just an FYI, the new Fabled set for cleric is actually not as good as it sounds with the ARP on it as it has been tested and discovered that ARP is not working correctly with most of our encounters. Here is a link in regards to ARP testing etc http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?473031-Chains-can-crit-ArmorPen-and-Repurpose-Soul-broken-Help-me-test

Asra.

Thanks for info, it's pretty crazy how they keep messing up the simplest things.
  • crystal892fcrystal892f Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    'Defense Reduction' abilities, as was pointed out earlier in this thread, don't actually reduce defense, they reduce the target's damage resistance. Also, Armor Penetration doesn't actually make you ignore armor, it's just a flat increase in damage. For example, 10% ArP doesn't make you ignore 10% of the target's defense, it just makes you do 10% more damage to that target. So defense debuffs stack with ArP without diminishing ArP's value. So you'd still want 24% ArP (for bosses) even if you have a ton of 'defense' and/or 'mitigation' debuffs.
    Hey, I just stumbled upon this post and didn't feel like reading all the following pages to see, if there is a comment to it, so sorry, if there have already been questions about it.

My first question is: What exactly is 'Damage Resistance'? The stat you can increase via stacking 'defense'? The AC? Both?
    My second question: Does ArP really simply increase damage? Has this been tested? Not that I mistrust you, I just would like to know if there is test data to it. Because if so, how is the damage calculated? i.e.:
    A attack does 1000 damage. You have 10% ArP. So is the dealt damage
    a) 1100 - (target Damage Resistance), so i.e. the target has 50% DR, the actual damage will be 550 (1100 * 0,5)?
    b) 1000 - (target Damage Resistance) + 10%, so again i.e. 50% DR, the damage will be 610 (1000 * 0,5 + (1000 * 0,1))?
    edited September 2013
    My first question is: What exactly is 'Damage Resistance'? The stat you can increase via stacking 'defense'? The AC? Both?

AC goes towards damage resistance. 1 point of AC = .5% Damage Resistance. What damage resistance does is pretty self explanatory. If you hit me for 100 damage and I have 20% Damage Resistance, I will reduce your 100 damage by 20 and be hit for 80 instead.

This goes into your other question about Arp.

Armor Penetration = Damage Resistance Ignored. So if you have 20% Damage resistance and I have 20% Damage Resistance Ignored, you effectively have 0% Damage Resistance when I hit you with an attack. 2100 Arp is roughly 22% Damage Resistance ignored.

This is why Armor Penetration is much more effective for increasing the damage you deal to someone than Power or Crit. You can also penetrate someones defense below 0%, making Arp even more effective. So for example, if I have 40% Damage Resistance Ignored and you only have 20% Damage Resistance, not only will I hit you for my full damage, I will also hit you for an extra 20% of it.

Now, you'll never get your Arp high enough to have anything close to 40% Resistance ignored, but remember that many skills already debuff and reduce the enemies defense to begin with (which Arp will stack with).

This is how I was able (pre HoF nerf) to hit people for up to 20k with a single HoF charge if it crit.(See this video, watch from :50).

Defense debuffs from encounters like Prophecy of Doom, the set bonus from High Prophet, lots of Arp, and high crit severity from Vorpal = People melting.
  • crystal892fcrystal892f Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    gctrl wrote: »
    <explanation>
    Thank you for your explanation. I guess, I just misunderstood the
    For example, 10% ArP doesn't make you ignore 10% of the target's defense, it just makes you do 10% more damage to that target.
    Defense debuffs from encounters like Prophecy of Doom, the set bonus from High Prophet, lots of Arp, and high crit severity from Vorpal = People melting.
    Yeah, I just wish we had one more slot. But I guess Divine Glow + PoD + Chains -> Daunting Light would be to good to be true...
    edited September 2013
    Thank you for your explanation. I guess, I just misunderstood the

Yeah no worries, it's all pretty straightforward
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My DC runs this kind of DPS build and he's great fun. Got some epic complaints from the other team's DC this morning when I two shotted her with PoD and divine DL.

Doesn't do too bad a job of healing in dungeons, but I am careful only to run as the main healer in T2's if I know my party is competent, otherwise I'm an extra DPS. Very good build guide and a very fun playstyle.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
    edited October 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    My DC runs this kind of DPS build and he's great fun. Got some epic complaints from the other team's DC this morning when I two shotted her with PoD and divine DL.

Doesn't do too bad a job of healing in dungeons, but I am careful only to run as the main healer in T2's if I know my party is competent, otherwise I'm an extra DPS. Very good build guide and a very fun playstyle.

Yeah it's a little outdated and I think I would change race selection and some gear choice for min maxing purposes but in general this still works well.
  • p357il3nc3p357il3nc3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So I'm In love with the concept, however for my specific first main toon needs (just restarting after beta weekend testing way back :{P) How would you update the build to be a bit more PvE heal friendly? I'm open to any race (but aiming for dwarf or half orc :{D) as I'll be leveling PvE/PvP with my dwarf GF brudder. And what about gear to aim for? The High Prophet (is it?)set was what I was told to shoot for.

Thanks, and good work sir!
    edited October 2013
    p357il3nc3 wrote: »
    So I'm In love with the concept, however for my specific first main toon needs (just restarting after beta weekend testing way back :{P) How would you update the build to be a bit more PvE heal friendly? I'm open to any race (but aiming for dwarf or half orc :{D) as I'll be leveling PvE/PvP with my dwarf GF brudder. And what about gear to aim for? The High Prophet (is it?)set was what I was told to shoot for.

Thanks, and good work sir!

I'll probably add an update to this build fairly soon, to answer some of your questions, stick with High Prophet but go halfling for your race.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Do tranquil enchants work? What if you stacked all G Tranquil or higher, maybe barkshield? Would you ever die?
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • p357il3nc3p357il3nc3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Halfling? I was thinking orc for the crits, but is the deflect > crits for this build?
    edited October 2013
    p357il3nc3 wrote: »
    Halfling? I was thinking orc for the crits, but is the deflect > crits for this build?

the 5% extra crit severity is not a big deal, you want to boost your survivability as much as possible if you're doing a glass cannon build (like this one).
  • pingconcherepingconchere Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    According to the new patch notes about Module 2, armor penetration now works properly with cleric encounters, like Daunting Light. Dps clerics should be seeing an increase in damage. I'm glad the issue was addressed.

Luckily for me, I created a dps cleric yesterday. What luck!
  • irolpogiirolpogi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I have a question regarding DOT damage for Damage Resistance. Does damage resistance Reduce DOT damage's like FF and BTS?
  • legitcwplegitcwp Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hello, where I can found/buy greaves of the high prophet? btw good job man, I had similar build and equipment but I used other set ( +450 crit) and I want to check this t1 set.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    legitcwp wrote: »
    Hello, where I can found/buy greaves of the high prophet? btw good job man, I had similar build and equipment but I used other set ( +450 crit) and I want to check this t1 set.
    I think they're(still) bugged so all High Prophet Greaves are BoP, even if it's a boss drop.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
    edited November 2013
    Update: Added a small notice to this guide as many people have been asking me if this build is still viable in PvP.
  • shiralacshiralac Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Any updates to this build, in regards to the upcoming changes the paragon tree, in module 2?
    There is no such thing as Pleather Armor.
    edited December 2013
    shiralac wrote: »
    Any updates to this build, in regards to the upcoming changes the paragon tree, in module 2?

Hopefully, I'm still theorycrafting over all the new stuff.
  • yemboooyembooo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hopefully, I'm still theorycrafting over all the new stuff.

Can u tell pls ur Skill Build for PVE, would be rly nice or can u add it to ur Thread, how u gonna build, if u go PVE in team or soloplay :o
  • vikingbradvikingbrad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    legitcwp wrote: »

Cragmire Crypts last boss drop. Very easy to get so not worth buying on AH
    Ricky Gervatheist Lvl 60 DC on Dragon Server
    Looking for a guild for PvE Dungeons to suit AEST evenings