test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I was considering joining neverwinter but...

Comments

• Options
    kouroumbelokouroumbelo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No matter what you see on forums truth is making a character,leveling it up,doing some raids,even the silly pvp can provide fun.

In general this game is fun and would recomend to anyone at least take their time and level up a toon or 2.

Do this and you wont regret,about staying and play more than that will be up to you.
    But it its worth it leveling at least 1 char here.
  • Options
    chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    joncans wrote: »
    I'm a freelance writer, I got a job to write two reviews on this game. I had never heard of it, had played WoW, LoTR, and SWTOR. I downloaded it and have never looked back. I have 2 toons at 60, and have done every dungeon, T2 dungeon and the endgame dungeon.

Yes the forums are stacked with negativity, I myself am guilty on starting negative threads. If the OP is still checking on this thread here is some advice, and warnings:
    • 1. Have fun, enjoy the lore, the zones are a blast.
    • 2. Take your time, if you power level you will miss some cool skirmishes, dungeons as you level very fast
    • 3. It is VERY enticing to spend real money on the game. (I have sunk about $150)
    • 4. If you PVP, you probably will definitely spend real money on gear. My 14.4k GS has cost me well over 3 million in Astral Diamond, and that isn't anywhere near what some PVP players rock.
    • 5. PVP is PAY to WIN. You either accept it, or just jump in to do your dailies, and get spanked. There is NO way around it. You have to be geared to the teeth to compete, and that costs either absurd amounts of grind time, or a lot of money. Rank 10 and Perfect Enchants cost 10 million on Beholder. I spent $100 and received 3.8 million AD. So you now understand how expensive the 'best' items are. (I have only Rank 6's and lesser/regular on my armor/weapon, no vorpal or tenebrous)

Just out of curiosity, where would you rank Neverwinter compared to Diablo 3 in terms of (Real Money) spent on the game? I've read on the Diablo 3 forums of players spending upwards of $1000 dollars or more on their character.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    No matter what you see on forums truth is making a character,leveling it up,doing some raids,even the silly pvp can provide fun.

In general this game is fun and would recomend to anyone at least take their time and level up a toon or 2.

Do this and you wont regret,about staying and play more than that will be up to you.
    But it its worth it leveling at least 1 char here.

^ completely agree with this
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    prosper0theoneprosper0theone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 85
    edited August 2013
    [*]5. PVP is PAY to WIN. You either accept it, or just jump in to do your dailies, and get spanked. There is NO way around it. You have to be geared to the teeth to compete, and that costs either absurd amounts of grind time, or a lot of money. Rank 10 and Perfect Enchants cost 10 million on Beholder. I spent $100 and received 3.8 million AD. So you now understand how expensive the 'best' items are. (I have only Rank 6's and lesser/regular on my armor/weapon, no vorpal or tenebrous)
    [/LIST]

^ this. Very accurate.
  • Options
    joncansjoncans Member Posts: 158 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    chrono0812 wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, where would you rank Neverwinter compared to Diablo 3 in terms of (Real Money) spent on the game? I've read on the Diablo 3 forums of players spending upwards of $1000 dollars or more on their character.

I have never played D:3, so I can't comment. I guarantee the hardcore PVP guilds have spent that kind of money. I can definitely hold my own in PVP, but even with a 14.4K GS and GF to boot, I can still get wrecked, and I do. Hanging around Trade of Blades on Beholder, you see people with absurdly expensive gear. I am yet to see a Perfect enchant in game, but I have seen several Greaters, all Tenebrous enchants and all Rank 9's. The highest GS I have seen on Beholder is 18k. So yeh, people have spent WAY more money than I have on gear.
    BladeRunner-Proud member of the BlackCloaks.
  • Options
    sortofsortof Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I was considering reading this thread ... than I took an arrow to the knee.
    Whatever we deny or embrace, we belong togheter./ Pat Benatar
  • Options
    galahad01galahad01 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hello,

Welcome, if I may I would like to give my feedback to the O.P. I will try and answer your Post in the order your questions were asked and supply some other experience info I have had along the way.

Should you Download this game? if you were considering it before then I would urge you to at least try it, after all it is " Free 2 Play " and it is really hard to make a truly informed decision based on just someone else's comments everyone is different, and how would you know that the " negative " info you may get isn't from one of those individuals that you comment on, so of course your not going to get accurate/honest replies from these people.

So.....Yes!!!! At least do that much.

The forum community is what it is, and the only advice I can give you here is don't get caught up in the " The Troll " debates. Forums have always been a melting pot, and if you have been following NWO on the forums at a distance then you have read some of the issues from the start and the ones on going. Some of these complaints are B.S. and just whiners and trolls but then there are others that are justified and warrant out-rage, because in my eyes there are just some things, serious in your face issues that I feel the Devs or whomever just didn't seem too quick to try and fix, or they just let things go too long and then it get to the point of no return and will never be, but better late than never.

Economy/Exploits absolutely agree with your comment here and this all boils down to my last comment of a little too late to do anything about it, at least in their eyes anyway, but too much time went by and now it is/was dealing with the fall out of a very late response. I have been playing sense O.B. and I have to tell you I still haven't figured out the exchange rate in this game, you see people selling stuff for Gold in game and then you go look at the same item in the A.H. and you see insane asking prices.

If you never plan to buy anything from the Zen store, you won't be broke in game, because someone is always looking for something, and there are foundry missions and daily dungeons, Skirmishes, etc, and these earn you Astral Diamonds for completing.

You mention The PvP community and I can't give you any insight here because I am one of those people that don't like it, this may change but right now it does not interest me.

As to quality of the game, not sure what you have for a computer but even a low end machine should run NWO very well and still look pretty good, not sure what you use for a chat system, but NWO in game chat seems good for what I need it for, and it is done by Vivox C3 if I am not mistaken, no complaints here. I can tell you this that when I leave NWO chat and go over to DDO to do my maintenance for toons, it sounds like I am talking through a pillow on DDO compared to NWO, I never dug too deep into it, and I never read too much on what others thought because I think most people/Guilds got use to other group clients that they didn't want to take the time to try and set NWO up.

I know this is a brief post and doesn't touch on a lot of things that could be but in a Nutshell, I would give it a try because in the end you can read all the Good and Bad about what others say, but you are you, and your experience will differ.

If you like to be in a Guild they are there and always looking for people, if you just want to come on and play LoneWolf Style with a hire you can do that. If you like PvP that is there as well, in the regular area and the Player unlock Area Gauntlgrym, one thing with this area from what I understand is that you have to be in a Guild for one thing, but your Guild has to pick a " faction/Side " Then you are granted access, And This is PvE and PvP combined so may be interesting, and for me may be the turning point that I may even try PvP myself.
    And lastly, if your a person that wants to play through content at lightning speed and take advantage of exploits and in all honesty get the good gear but not really earn it, there are lots of groups that speed run dungeons too, So NWO has something for everyone, for all kinds.

What type of player are you?

Cheers!

P.S.

You may have read a lot of comments about P2W,( pay 2 Win ) people have to get that term out of their head this game and games like it are not P2W, if you get a Free to play game it is exactly that you have to spend No money to play this game.

What these games are and the term that should be used is " P4C " Pay 4 Convenience, you can come on NWO and put the play time in and obtain things without spending a dime, or..... you can be the impatient one and Pay to get it quicker, That's it......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

" May The Wind be Always At Your Back "
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I have never played D:3, so I can't comment. I guarantee the hardcore PVP guilds have spent that kind of money. I can definitely hold my own in PVP, but even with a 14.4K GS and GF to boot, I can still get wrecked, and I do. Hanging around Trade of Blades on Beholder, you see people with absurdly expensive gear. I am yet to see a Perfect enchant in game, but I have seen several Greaters, all Tenebrous enchants and all Rank 9's. The highest GS I have seen on Beholder is 18k. So yeh, people have spent WAY more money than I have on gear.

Thank you for your reply, I was just curious as to what players have spent in terms of real money.
    Death_knight.jpg

~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hello, I have been watching this game from a distance for some time now trying to come to a decision as to whether or not I wanted to even download this game, or if it wasn't worth the time. I'm still undecided and was on the BRINK of pressing download, till I scanned through the neverwinter forums....

The community is INCREDIBLY negative here on the forums (attitude wise) with a handful of exceptions, this is the underlining factor that has made me go back into simply watching. If the forums are this rough, I already know that the in game community is going to be filled with conflict... from experience.

It's one thing to be negative towards your devs (because people are people, and when someone creates something there will always be a critic) but the way you've displayed relations amongst yourselves as humans is well... I'll stop there.

Then you have the Economy crashing exploits, meaning because I didn't jump in head first with everyone else I'll be dirt broke for a large amount of the game, only wiping the game would cause a fix to the economy and obviously countless people have spent money in the game and dedicated time to it so that wouldn't be the best of moves, so due to exploiters the economy is ruined meaning I'd pretty much be waaaaay further behind the curb as a newcomer than one should be.

Then there's my favorite community, the pvp community, the guys who naturally have conflict with eachother, but normally have a mutual respect for eachother as well... So far so good with you guys >_<, however; the ones that lack such aspects (mutual respect) lack it hardcore, and when combined with the negative community almost get a rally behind them of berating someone, often for the most ridiculous of reasons.

I'm asking someone to give me a brief synopsis of activity inside the game, this will help me decide if I wish to download it ( I am a busy person in real life normally, but I've got some downtime due to having a short college break.)

There are tons of cool people that you can meet in game , since this is a MMO feel free to find them ( everyone finds at least 1 good person to play with - quality over quantity wins every time in MMOS at least for me )

Forget about the forum warriors - people get frustrated and bored and come to the forums to vent rage and frustration like in every other MMO ( see WoW forums lol ) , who can blame them - the game developers gave us unfinished product , called it official release and we continued to beta test it and some of us still do untill this day ( it sounds wierd but that's what happened really ) .

The game itself is amazing , the first day I played it - I loved it .

It's totally worth the shot + it's free you won't waste money on sub fee or digital cory or anything . If you don't like it you can always uninstall and move on with your life .
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • Options
    littlegoofball1littlegoofball1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Neverwinter is awesome. The forums are a place for us to criticize and ask for updates, since the game is like brand new. The download is really quite small, considering the content! Great game if you have a friend to play with, haven't played solo yet :) Try it!
  • Options
    despairsrequiemdespairsrequiem Member Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    wow @_@. 8 pages >_< never expected any thread of mine to go past 4 answers... anyhow I downloaded the game and made a healer type person, I would've chose another person, but I figured everyone in any situation can use a healer, even if they're not super useful a healer can at least be a benefit, even amungst a pvp situation where you haven't payed for anything... >_> but I don't have the slightest clue how / where to sign up for pvp... nor did anyone else I asked lol. The game runs fine on my computer, and all my specs are way above average EXCEPT my graphics card, so I'll have to look at a manual to know what kind of graphics card port (or whatever its called) my computer uses then install (after I buy) a new one that matches the "way above average" quality the rest of my cpu has. So far however; this game has been way faster paced (combat wise) than I imagined, and so far (even though he's level 6) I've had fun
  • Options
    shafikmacenoshafikmaceno Member Posts: 55
    edited August 2013
    message from a player and User forum: After you get the maximum level, the game is totally "esploited" in dungeons epics. If you do not do the "rituals" of exploits, PT melts in seconds. In short, the environment of the game PvE CURRENTLY is all broken, or you join ALL the community with their PvE exploites or not playing PvE content.
    Simple as that.
  • Options
    despairsrequiemdespairsrequiem Member Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Id be less afraid about negativity then I would about no activity on the forums at all. If people are posting, either for or against something. It generally means they are passionate about or invested in it in someway. Anything that can generate such levels of investment, good or bad, is at the very least worth investigating. If the game is generating no passion at all, then it is truly dead.
    This is the post that made me do it, thanks sock
  • Options
    enixonbbenixonbb Member Posts: 71
    edited August 2013
    In my opinion the game's not bad, It's fun for some mindless hack and slash, but really for the most part you should just ignore a big chunk of the forums, it's full of people who hate only one thing more than the game, other people enjoying the game.
  • Options
    kyotheman9000kyotheman9000 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    best advice is just ignore the forums and judge for yourself, its Free to play so not huge issue to try out, even with capped internet this game is much smaller other games i played, MH their updates like 3-6gigs in size thats insane for ARPG, for full mmorpg its pretty solid experience, still more content coming later.
  • Options
    synslaughtersynslaughter Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Many others have iterated the same sentiment: don't judge a game by its forum. I'll do you one better, too: don't judge a game by the vast majority of its community. As the game's free-to-play (purchase-able upgrades are mostly visual baubles or variants of things you can earn within the game,) your pockets needn't suffer one bit for the trying. Had I to judge any MMO I've played by what's said in chat or forums, I'd never bother with them, and that would've prevented a LOT of enjoyment I've had from Neverwinter, STO, and others.

If you do enjoy the community aspect, I recommend researching and trying out different guilds. Like often calls to like, so if you have a hardcore gamer's mentality or a more casual and social personality (as I do,) you'll find different groups congregating and helping each other out. Some of them (not to toot my own horn, but mine's among them) make up for the rather depressing chatter of jaded, impossible-to-please players here and in the primary zone chat in-game.

Seriously, though, please at least give it a fair trial, if you've been interested enough to observe. Let it stand or fall on its own merit, not because a few cranky and impatient people wail and snark because they're accustomed to instant gratification. I think it's a great game - still finding its footing and clearing out some technical matters, of course - but overall a fun experience. If you're spending the time to look, might as well get your feet wet.

I'm tellin' ya, the water's rather nice. :)
    I have the ability to heal you. A shield to protect you. Blades to slay your foes. Magic! So I'm a tiefling, so what? We have a common enemy, and a common goal. Here, you can put ornaments on my horns if it'll put you at ease.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i purchased the guardian pack during the open beta because at $60, it is the price that i would pay for a good game and in the four months that i've been playing, i would say that my initial financial investment has paid off multiple times.

but you know, everyone has an opinion. some people blow through content and get bored. some people don't like change. and some people think they could do a better job... of which i fully support that challenge. do go out there and make the kind of game that you want to play... unfortunately not everyone is going to agree with you.

:)
    melodywhr wrote: »
    opinions are definitely in abundance and millions of humans express them in one way or another. but each individual is operating based on their own level of awareness. others may share your exact opinion and that may be based on your experience playing a lot of games that ultimately disappointed you. but you have to accept the pure fact that there are others that think differently than you do. what you posted was not 100% truth but more like your own interpretation of your in-game experience. when people post negatively, they have been in some way hurt or disappointed with their experience. it's a common fact that people that are disgruntled about their experience with a company, they are more times likely to tell others about it than those that are happy with their experience. you perceive that this game is broken. you want to warn people to not waste their time here... or if you do, don't spend any money because it's not worth it. but i can tell you with confidence that this isn't the same experience i've had here. which brings me to the point: people should have the opportunity to make their own opinions. of course, it is up to the individual to accept your opinion or reject it. but the best advice here would be to give it a chance without the expectation of failure. attitude is altitude. if you expect a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> experience you most certainly will have one.
    What you seem to fail to understand is that many of us have played many MMOs over the years so we know how to recognize a badly made game. We know what works to make an MMO healthy and how to recognize the signs of a game without legs. I realize that someone who is a johnny-come-lately will lack perspective.
  • Options
    m4dhat5m4dhat5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Don't expect too much from the community from any f2p game, this one included. If that is important to you (as it should be) look to a sub based game (WoW being the exception :p ).
  • Options
    spacekiddospacekiddo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    the games is good give it a chance, btw wanna play together sometimes? i have no one to play who likes D&D :(
  • Options
    baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Clearly after todays debacle you've got your answer regardless of what people say...
  • Options
    shafikmacenoshafikmaceno Member Posts: 55
    edited August 2013
    I feel sorry for the Wizzards of the Coast have invested in their brand garbage producer. D & D has a name well known to have this **** involved.
  • Options
    manducatmanducat Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It takes some time to set up, but if you're smart about it, there are ways to passively gain exponential amounts of AD through reinvestment rather than grind. A good chunk of the earliest players in this game passively gain more than a million AD a day, some several multiples of that.

This is without exploiting / breaking terms of service.

With some thought you can figure out how this is done.

It's similar to economy in physical space, in a sense. The rich get richer.

Setting up and maintaining that can be boring as hell for most people though, so I don't consider the possibility to do it a plus for neverwinter.

Probably more fun to play Eve or the upcoming Everquest: Next if one is to spend a large amount of time with money making schemes.
  • Options
    chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The inside activity is fine, it's like any other game of this type. You get nice people, you get <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, that's just how it is. The devs are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, like usual, and ruin your hard work with a single patch on a regular basis without fixing critical bugs that have been around for months or finding a way to make nice new ones by the time they do. It's a business to them, and you'll see a lot of focus on their stupid Zen instead of what players want, which, as I always say, would actually make them more money in the long run if they focused on what we say. It feels like they don't even play it sometimes when we hear of some of the changes.
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Translation = please spend Zen whenever you can. We have a new companion available in the Zen Marketplace that tosses little stones at your opponent and is very cute, but is otherwise pointless. Only $30.

Funny, but on a side note I want that sword for my gwf.
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    darvinthesixthdarvinthesixth Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The answer to the OP is simple. This game is like every other, in the beginning everyone started from nothing and you can as well. Playing the game "self found" is 100% legit and possible. It is up to you to get past your fears and concerns of certain issues. The forums in particular are a game within a game. Ignore them alltogether or use them as reference as needed but understand fully what you're getting yourself into if you participate. As the game itself states at many points during your experience, the game can be run 100% solo outside of some dungeon content. At this point it falls to your typical join an active guild that matches your needs or pug your end game content.

tl;dr: The game will be what you make of it, get over your fears and only your play experience will determine your enjoyment.
  • Options
    faiteaccompliifaiteaccomplii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    I love the game and I am picky. I am anti social in games normally anymore (too much guild drama in WOW turned me off social groups) and somehow I have managed to make some 'game' friends here at NWN online so it can't be too bad. I am on Mindflayer and did prefer it to Dragon though it just depends on what you want ;) I think you will find the forums are where people come to complain more than say good things as it is the one avenue they have that is public and for everyone to read so its not a good barometer of the people in the game as many who are happy don't come on the forums.
  • Options
    faiteaccompliifaiteaccomplii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    As to the whole pay to win thing, well, you can either pay money or you can pay time, your choice.
  • Options
    chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Funny, but on a side note I want that sword for my gwf.

I love my sword. I don't even remember what it's called. I thought it matched my clothing and swag so I transmuted my ancient castle to make it.
  • Options
    parp12parp12 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zalcs wrote: »
    Dude, it's painfully obvious. Stop being a troll.

If it's so obvious you'll be able to substantiate it wont you?
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Asinine? More like revealing the truth of a comment with pure criticism in the form of a joke. Anyone who would throw out such glittering generalizations on a forum about a game that 70% of the community is angered about is probably getting Zen on the side.

We don't have any evidence that even 70% of forum posters are angry at the game, but lets use that number. 70% of the <10% of the player population is angry. So we know that 7% are angry and 3% are happy, and have no clue about the other 90%.

However since most people come to the forums to complain when they are angry, chances are quite a few of those 90% are enjoying themselves playing right now instead of posting.

Please quote me as Parp has me ignore. Instead of facing a different opinion he chose to put his hands over his eyes =P
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.