test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Archive] Tips To Combat Exploit Maps & UGC Listing Feedback And Suggestions

124»

Comments

• Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We don't know how the adjusted works precisely. Only the devs know. We do know that the adjusted rating gets closer to your actual rating with the more plays that you get.
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Tell me how the rating is actually figured.
    Per the official game wiki, "Cryptic uses the Lower Bound of Wilson Score Interval to determine the rating of quests."
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Guide_to_the_Foundry

while the formula is certainly not just taking an average... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_proportion_confidence_interval#Wilson_score_interval

It should work out about like this:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?153441-Please-explain-what-is-adjusted-ratings&p=2207451&viewfull=1#post2207451

Note that more reviews mean the adjusted rating should get closer to the average. But in the example quests (wuhsin and hercooles130uscg), the number of plays is fairly, low, so the single outlier low rating will lower the average a tiny bit, but also increase the % of average calculated for the adjusted rating, making it fairly self cancelling (it's functionally getting discarded as an outlier).
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    zovya wrote: »
    We don't know how the adjusted works precisely. Only the devs know. We do know that the adjusted rating gets closer to your actual rating with the more plays that you get.
    Per the official game wiki, "Cryptic uses the Lower Bound of Wilson Score Interval to determine the rating of quests." http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Guide_to_the_Foundry
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Rule #1 on the internet: don't trust wiki's completely.

The Devs have never stated how they determine the adjusted rating on the forums or any article I have read.

While that is the Official Wiki all information on there should be treated as community driven with the appropriate level of skepticism to it's authenticity. Unless the article references an Official Post on the Forums or an authentic interview I would not put my faith in such a claim.
  • Options
    rogu3ishrogu3ish Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2013
    Hopefully a lot of this rating stuff will become less important once the patch hits and the Foundry UI is improved. Right now the reason a 0.1 rating point drop is a big deal is that once your quest falls off the New tab, you're effectively fighting the other 260k (and growing) foundry quests for about fourty visible spots.

I'm sure most players find their Foundry quests by browsing the UI, and so after a few weeks your work is pretty much invisible. You can then work work work to get others to legitimately review it, get its adjusted rating bumped up to get it visible again, only to have it bombed right back down.

It's all well and good if you create your foundry quests just for yourself, or for your friends. Personally I enjoy the creation process, so it's not that big of a deal if no-one sees my quests. But I'm sure all of us who create quests at least on some level would like to know people are seeing our work, and know what they think of it - be it good or bad. Right now you can spend as much time making that happen as you do creating the quest, and in the end if Cryptic is going to rely on UGC to keep their game fresh, that's not an optimal situation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Felling the Forgemaster: NW-DOHCJ5VE3 (Elligible for Foundry Daily)
    Fleshrend's Big Adventure: NW-DBWJJYFDK
    (Elligible for Foundry Daily)
  • Options
    narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    So no one, except Cryptic, knows exactly how the adjusted rating system works. So we can't know for sure if it is WAI or bugged.

That is what I was getting at.
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I honestly believe it doesn't work the way the wiki says, because over the course the of the hundreds of plays I got, my adjusted rating hardly ever climbed, despite consistently getting mostly stellar reviews, and maintaining the same average rating the whole time. I'm pretty sure it just adds or subtracts adjusted rating points per rating. Otherwise we wouldn't see quests with less than thirty plays jump to the very freaking top of the New list overnight all the time like we do, because the percentage of their average rating couldn't possibly be that high.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Rule #1 on the internet: don't trust wiki's completely.

The Devs have never stated how they determine the adjusted rating on the forums or any article I have read.

While that is the Official Wiki all information on there should be treated as community driven with the appropriate level of skepticism to it's authenticity. Unless the article references an Official Post on the Forums or an authentic interview I would not put my faith in such a claim.
    If only wiki sites did revision tracking...

badbotlimit_added.jpg

Badbotlimit? I think I've heard that username before. Oh yes, it's the Foundry producer. So unless you'd like to claim that someone is an imposter of badbotlimit and has made only two edits, both to the Foundry section, and didn't troll but made edits in line with ratings people have manually calculated based on that information, and that I'm not the only person to remember actually being told by a dev.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I want a Positive-Only rating system..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    If only wiki sites did revision tracking...

badbotlimit_added.jpg

Badbotlimit? I think I've heard that username before. Oh yes, it's the Foundry producer. So unless you'd like to claim that someone is an imposter of badbotlimit and has made only two edits, both to the Foundry section, and didn't troll but made edits in line with ratings people have manually calculated based on that information, and that I'm not the only person to remember actually being told by a dev.
    . . . . . Goodness sakes, calm down! Ambi was only making a general statement (which in fact is true of all publicly editable "wikis") and not a statement of direct insinuation. Please don't take things out of context to try and make an argument or "one-up" someone's statements.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So I was looking at the new hashtag system. What's stopping exploiters from selecting every tag on the exploit quests, and pushing them to the top of the list no matter what you search for? Just curious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    So I was looking at the new hashtag system. What's stopping exploiters from selecting every tag on the exploit quests, and pushing them to the top of the list no matter what you search for? Just curious.

Now you're starting to understand.

And whatever mechanism is put in place to prevent this "abuse / exploit" someone will find a way to abuse/exploit that.

And so on.

And so on.

And so on.

And so on.

Best thing to do - don't let other people's actions be the determining factor in your enjoyment of the foundry.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

And whatever mechanism is put in place to prevent this "abuse / exploit" someone will find a way to abuse/exploit that.

And so on.

And so on.

And so on.

And so on.

Best thing to do - don't let other people's actions be the determining factor in your enjoyment of the foundry.

All The Best

Recently there was a post here complaining that the hashtag system will be based off player reviews/ratings, not something that can be set by the author themselves. The post was moved to the preview/beta forum I believe, but it seemed the author of the OP was correct from what I could ascertain at the time.

Of course anything in 'beta' is subject to change before going live, but I did find it curious. Currently, I expect the quest overview to include enough information to allow me to know what to expect when entering a quest. I don't expect that to change, but I may penalise less harshly if part of that responsibility shifts from the author to the player.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

And so on.

And so on.

And so on.

And so on.

All The Best

I'm TRYING to muster up enough inspiration to work on another chapter of my campaign. I'll give the devs credit, they finally stepped up and dealt with the exploits. There are still problems within the community, and assets missing from the Foundry that we could make great use of, but I'll keep going for my fans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    karitr wrote: »
    Recently there was a post here complaining that the hashtag system will be based off player reviews/ratings, not something that can be set by the author themselves. The post was moved to the preview/beta forum I believe, but it seemed the author of the OP was correct from what I could ascertain at the time.

Of course anything in 'beta' is subject to change before going live, but I did find it curious. Currently, I expect the quest overview to include enough information to allow me to know what to expect when entering a quest. I don't expect that to change, but I may penalise less harshly if part of that responsibility shifts from the author to the player.

penalize*

Oh, I added a campfire halfway up the ramp in Zigby's First Strike on your request. You're welcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    *UK usually penalise

Yeah I read that you added a camp fire. I shall look forward to replaying and revising my rating accordingly :)

Edit: Ack, or maybe not now you're back to your old habits. It's not worth the hassle with some of you, I'd just rather avoid your quests altogether.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'm TRYING to muster up enough inspiration to work on another chapter of my campaign. I'll give the devs credit, they finally stepped up and dealt with the exploits. There are still problems within the community, and assets missing from the Foundry that we could make great use of, but I'll keep going for my fans.

I'll be honest, I think I came close to burning out on the foundry.

An Ancient Curse has maybe 250 hours in it in total.
    But that was done, from first map choice to as it is now, in around 3.5 weeks. That's a lot of hours/week.

Part 1 of my 2nd Campaign is about 75% built in terms of maps, but needs all the storyboarding and dialogues doing.

But I've had to step back and let it rest. Probably won't seriously re-engage until after the major patch later in the month.

Haven't even logged in to the game in 72 hours, and only then to check the feedback to my campaign to see if any problems had cropped up.

All The Best

• Options
    edited August 2013
    karitr wrote: »
    *UK usually penalise

Yeah I read that you added a camp fire. I shall look forward to replaying and revising my rating accordingly :)

Awesome. Also, be sure to let me know what you want to see in the sequel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'll be honest, I think I came close to burning out on the foundry.

An Ancient Curse has maybe 250 hours in it in total.
    But that was done, from first map choice to as it is now, in around 3.5 weeks. That's a lot of hours/week.

Part 1 of my 2nd Campaign is about 75% built in terms of maps, but needs all the storyboarding and dialogues doing.

But I've had to step back and let it rest. Probably won't seriously re-engage until after the major patch later in the month.

Haven't even logged in to the game in 72 hours, and only then to check the feedback to my campaign to see if any problems had cropped up.

All The Best

Yeah man, I know what you mean. My last quest, despite seemingly simple, took a long time to finish, as that ramp is much bigger and more complicated than people tend to give it credit for. I had to make it so seamless that a companion could follow you up it with their buggy AI, and 3D editing that high up in the air is no easy feat. Now that my Campaign is off the list, and my adjusted rating no longer really matters, I think I'll be able to focus more on editing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Check this out folks!
    Since launch, we've settled into a more reasonable rhythm of updates, and have put together a new dedicated exploit team to combat cheats and hacks. Their job is specifically to use our understanding of existing exploits to protect new content while also looking for new ways to break the game so that we can make it better. Tracking down and squashing exploits is not always an easy task, and I'd like to give out special kudos to all of the folks in the community who have written in to us about bug reports, exploits, and abusive Foundry quests – your care for the game and assistance has been immensely helpful!
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Check this out folks!

Nice to know. You should go play my foundry now. ;)

• Options
    edited August 2013
    These were the replies from the sticky. Cleaning now to allow it to remain sticky, as originally planned.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    These were the replies from the sticky. Cleaning now to allow it to remain sticky, as originally planned.

The news story mentions nothing about us continuing to report.

In fact it almost reads like they want us to stop reporting and leave it to them to sort out.

Which is ironic, because it was doing that that led to the necessity of this thread in the first place.

All The Best

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I think you're reading too much into it ronin; I certainly didn't get the impression you did when reading that notice.

With the volume of quests increasing to mind-boggling levels, I'd say it is as important as ever that we report exploit maps as we come across them.