What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please make all Zen Store Companions Account Wide

Comments

• Options
    lavenderkaelavenderkae Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    /agree as well. The price is too high for a character bound item that apparently can never be unbound. I was willing to pay out for the account wide mount, but paying the same price for a one character bound item is absurd. Especially to have to pay AGAIN to keep upgrading it as the game grows, and times however many character I have.
  • Options
    tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Completely agree with this thread and endorse its proposal.

I would also like the bank access shared between account characters; it's such a PITA to shuffle around 'storage' items every day or two, especially when I have > 2 characters contributing to those collections. I can't think of any reason why, since you can mail stuff to yourself, the bank slots should not be accessible by all characters on an account.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I couldn't agree more!
    If they feel the need for their pound of flesh from this, then offer two prices, one for the standard, single use companion and a 25% price increase for an account wide option. Seriously, I bought only one companion thus far and do not plan to buy another, as they are just not worth it. Account wide? I would have purchased the Dur, Badger, Alcolite, and Stone, at the very least. I would likley have gotten ALL of the Purples eventually.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd go for this, even with a surchage for Account wide companions...
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • Options
    chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Here's a thought, why not just remove the bind on companions? It's stupid and unnecessary and it will be much easier to code than making all pets/companions acc bound.
    Maybe if enough people cry and whine (like with tr nerf), they'll hopefully change this. :D
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Here's a thought, why not just remove the bind on companions? It's stupid and unnecessary and it will be much easier to code than making all pets/companions acc bound.
    Maybe if enough people cry and whine (like with tr nerf), they'll hopefully change this. :D

Removing the current bind on companions would allow the bots to buy and sell companions, perhaps with illgotten AD. There are some balancing issues, with level 1's having level 30 companions, but that issue comes down to personal playstyle.

It is better to simply make all companions account bound, (The idea of making all items bound has merit as well, and is indeed the final solution to the bot problem.)
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013

How would you handle the companion's level? It was my understanding that part of binding a companion to your character also actually "created" them - in the sense of their name, stats, level, etc.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    amorraamorra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I will be the devil's advocate here.

1. The coding required to make them account bound would be troublesome. This assumes implementing such code would not destroy existing companions attached to players (something that would <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off a good number of people because they would have to re-level a companion and would lose the items attached to said companion).

2. The price of companions in the Zen store would go up a great deal if they became account wide (or account bound) because instead of buying perhaps 2 or 3 of one pet you now only have to buy one and move it from character to character. In a business sense (and MMOs are a business) this is a logical adjustment to such a change.

3. People seem to be forgeting (or ignoring) one simple fact. You do not have to spend a dime on this game to get something you want from the Zen store, another thing the developers probably keep in mind with the pricing. (I could be dead wrong on this.) It is something we need to also keep in mind when we ask for price changes or a change in how a particular item functions.

I am not saying the idea is bad, as I am honestly on the fence about the idea (torn between yes and no). My reasons for wanting such a thing is almost limited to "I do not want to spend more money" rather than any game play reason. But as I said in point 3, it may take some time to save up the AD... but I do not have to spend 'more money' on the companions if I choose to get them on second or third characters.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . . I also loathe the fact that companions are one-per purchase. There should at the very least be account-wide unlock bound versions and make the one-time trade-ables a bit cheaper. This is the only reason why I haven't bought companions, because I feel it is a rip-off that they both cost so bloody much and are one-per-purchase. For the cost of two companions for two (or one character), I could afford to buy a whole brand new game... The Zen Shop is just so ridiculously over priced, but that is a matter for another topic...
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    amorra wrote: »
    I will be the devil's advocate here.

1. The coding required to make them account bound would be troublesome. This assumes implementing such code would not destroy existing companions attached to players (something that would <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off a good number of people because they would have to re-level a companion and would lose the items attached to said companion).

I disagree. The changes would have no effect on already active companions. Only unclaimed companions in the Z-store. I expect it would work similar to mounts. Once bought, there would simply need to be a way to claim a fresh one on each character. This tech is already in the game

2. The price of companions in the Zen store would go up a great deal if they became account wide (or account bound) because instead of buying perhaps 2 or 3 of one pet you now only have to buy one and move it from character to character. In a business sense (and MMOs are a business) this is a logical adjustment to such a change.

Actually, it would drive prices up. Once again. the changes would really only effect newly claimed pets. Not ones already in circulation. The one down side to account wide unlocks, is an inability to sell them, due to obvious exploit issues. Claim sell, claim sell, ect. This means any pets on the AH after proposed changes would be legacy single use items. Only able to be replaced in the market if there is still an option to buy single use pets, in addition to account ones.

3. People seem to be forgeting (or ignoring) one simple fact. You do not have to spend a dime on this game to get something you want from the Zen store, another thing the developers probably keep in mind with the pricing. (I could be dead wrong on this.) It is something we need to also keep in mind when we ask for price changes or a change in how a particular item functions.

Options are options. Im all for more of them. An option for account wide pets would not diminish single use pets. It would simply accommodate more ways to make sales.

I am not saying the idea is bad, as I am honestly on the fence about the idea (torn between yes and no). My reasons for wanting such a thing is almost limited to "I do not want to spend more money" rather than any game play reason. But as I said in point 3, it may take some time to save up the AD... but I do not have to spend 'more money' on the companions if I choose to get them on second or third characters.

Responses in green.
  • Options
    deaththroedeaththroe Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    +1 This is long overdue. Companions should be account bound. If we are concerned with balancing issues they should reset to first level when traded to an alt.
    10PM CST

• Options
    brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Agree.

If needed, price them bilaterally, with cheaper versions being character bound and somewhat more expensive ones being account bound, but it needs to happen. Most companions other than the augments are useless enough as it is, but if they were account bound, more people would be tempted to buy them for cosmetic reasons at least.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    deaththroe wrote: »
    +1 This is long overdue. Companions should be account bound. If we are concerned with balancing issues they should reset to first level when traded to an alt.

I dont think that would be an issue. I expect, it wouldn't work that way anyhow. Once active they would stay locked on that character. As they are currently. All account wide unlocks would provide is a means to claim or reclaim new or replacement pets.

Just like mounts, they can be traded until you activate them. Once active they are locked. But you have the option to delete and reclaim. Yes, that would mean re-leveling pets, but thats far more acceptable then having a pet trapped on a character you no longer wish to play.
  • Options
    psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If they were account bound would make it worth the price or lower it
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Maybe this is some kind of business strategy. Make Companions expensive and hard to get, and as soon as the playerbase desire for them is about to explode into a riot, they not only suddenly become account unlocks and cheaper, but the Zstore is suddenly flooded with new Companions to further entice "Companion Collectors" and completionists into buying them.

Just a thought... :)
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    All we are asking for is to make zen store companions function in the same manner as zen store mounts, redeemable once per character.

In this way it would not be possible for a level 1 to have a level 30 companion.

Please make this retroactive for all zen store companions previously bought too.
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The coding issue is why I suggest dual pricing for account vs char only. because this will make existing mounts/companions not need to change at all since it will just be "adding" account versions of companions and character versions of mounts. the existing entities will not change AT all. adding an account bank will not affect character bank slots at all.

Also one basic difference between whining about adding account based companions and whining about getting TR nerfed. No-one is going to whine and rage quit because some account versions of per char things have shown up on the Zstore especially if the existing items do not change at all. It wont affect pvp balance, and wont make it harder to solo or play your favorite class.
    it will be just as easy to add as adding a new mount.

and over all its something that will add quality of life, value to accounts AND money to PWE without affecting the balance of game play. if your afraid about people calling out LEET! you can always change skins and names of the Account based companions slightly.

give the account ghost a ponytail, the account cat can be an orange tabby, account spider can be a bladespider ..you get the idea.

and as far as this being the business plan, it wouldn't surprise me at all, remember what happened with costumes and dyes.
  • Options
    doogie74doogie74 Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It would be good to see them do what has been done in Star Wars the Old Republic. They have a “collection” and when you have an item bound to you; you can spend a few extra cartel coins, which is SWTOR zen, and the item become account bound and can be claimed from the collection on all characters.

Not all items can be an account wide unlocks in SWTOR but the majority can.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Heck, just give us the same treatment as the Packs Companions. I have good ol' Mr. Fluffykins The Narcoleptic Kitty on ALL of my toons. I use him even when I would prefer another one.
    Of course, they may be waiting to sell a Pack Bundle for a future add-on who's only real selling point for, say, a $100.00 price tag will be the first Account Bound Purple Augment.:rolleyes:

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    sekhmetscorpiosekhmetscorpio Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If this were a petition, everyone would sign it. The only thing truly worth it from zen store is mounts because they are claimable on all characters for that price. The companions are really costly, but only claimable on ONE character!?!?! Bull****! Either cost less or claimable on all characters, that simple. One or the other.
  • Options
    abzerothabzeroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited August 2013
    Guys guys, you're not looking at it right. There are soooooo many people spending zi money on these one character companions that it's making Cryptic a profit, even if it's small. So why ruin that by changing it. It's when people completely stop buying **** from the Zen market that they might consider changes.

Now, I aint no fancy, big city number cruncher, but if I was Cryptic, I would wait until the Zen market sales are really hitting the slumps, then and only then would I release the "shards combine to one server" and make SOME changes to the Zen market, play it out until sales go down again, then make more changes, rinse and repeat.

Just wait until either floods of people leave the game or sales go down, till then just save up your ADs!
  • Options
    simkinfoolsimkinfool Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Heck, just give us the same treatment as the Packs Companions. I have good ol' Mr. Fluffykins The Narcoleptic Kitty on ALL of my toons. I use him even when I would prefer another one.
    Of course, they may be waiting to sell a Pack Bundle for a future add-on who's only real selling point for, say, a $100.00 price tag will be the first Account Bound Purple Augment.:rolleyes:

Second account wide purple augment you mean, I may be mistaken but I believe the Icosahedron Ioun Stone would be the first no?
  • Options
    ratrailratrail Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I would support this change, and it would make more likely to purchase companions from the store.
  • Options
    ikostusikostus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I believe that it should be something more like, in the store when you go to buy them, you have the option to buy an Account Bound one (one for each character you make/have) and a tradeable BoE One. Personally, even if we had the option for a little bit more Zen I would buy the Account One.
  • Options
    lost1onelost1one Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I also personally support this. Companions cost almost as much as mounts and are not account wide. I think they should be just like the mounts. You buy once and then reclaim on additional characters. Make them bound so ya cant sell em once claimed.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I would prefer a cost reduction myself, but I wouldn't complain at a change to companion wide.
  • Options
    d1gitalhyped1gitalhype Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As long as there is an opportunity to monetize it, they might do this. I agree with others, that they will probably make this an upsell option, at some point.
  • Options
    jedite2012jedite2012 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is perfect world we talking about, they don't care what we want, as long as people are buying them they wont change it.

such a shame too cause i don't want have to keep buying $5 bags for all my characters

If they really cared about us they wouldn't of put Lilend in a random draw. Have we actually gotten any new things for free since launch or have they just been releasing new thing in the zen market
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gefjongefjon Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I agree.

Account-wide companions, mounts and companion upgrades would be a great incentive towards paying a lot of money for such things.

I already have two of the special packs - both of which (I think) grant me some of those across all characters. I would not want to spend that sort of money on an item which is only available for a single character.