test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Thinking of Downloading this Game...

biggotrightwingbiggotrightwing Banned Users Posts: 26 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
:confused:
Hi,
I'm wondering is this game worth playing?
I heard the dungeon Q takes FOREVER to place you into a group (except for Guardian)

I'd like to hear your thoughts...
Thanks!
Post edited by biggotrightwing on

Comments

• Options
    w3est0fn0w3r3w3est0fn0w3r3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    leveling yes, end game no

Que does take forever you are better off spamming general chat looking for a group than using the que, most times whne the que does get you into a dungeon you have 2 or 3 people that don't know how to play.

Really the Devs put out a bad game that is only worth an hour or 2 of your day and the people don't make it much better
  • Options
    biggotrightwingbiggotrightwing Banned Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So don't download this game?
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Download it and see for yourself. It's free. Only thing you lose if you don't like it is some time.
  • Options
    slayorianslayorian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So don't download this game?

It's free. Well worth downloading and giving it a shot. Once you find a decent guild to run with, queues don't matter. or, even build a friends list of people who are good at dungeons and form up that way.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    it's good for the quick leveling to 60 (quick is the key word), its fun for that, the zones look decent and the gameplay is relatively fun for the time.

most important: dont fall for any of the "real Money" transactions.

edited July 2013
    Ok cool thanks,
    What class has the fastest Q time?
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    The queue really isn't that slow. The only one which a stupidly long queue tme is the Trickster Rogue because there are so many of them but even that should be under fifteen minutes in most cases.

Plus as time goes on the over-abundance of Trickster Rogues has diminished as more people start to run other classes.
  • Options
    kentuckyfriedfookentuckyfriedfoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The queue is actually over 30 minutes for most classes, 45 minutes if you're lucky, don't be fooled by the 15 minutes. Most of the groups you get will also be incompetent and fail and thus you waste your queue.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you are looking strictly for the end-game content, then this may not be the game for you. In it's current form, and as others have pointed out, the lead-up to level 60 is quite enjoyable. Once you get to level 60, you'll find that there is a lot of pettiness and "gearscore eliteism" - by that I mean that people aren't necessarily interested in teaming with you unless you are of a particular class with a particular gearscore rating.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Of course there is the Foundry at level 60. Though it can be difficult...
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    ...- by that I mean that people aren't necessarily interested in teaming with you unless you are of a particular class with a particular gearscore rating.

this is so true.
    edited July 2013
    It's definitely worth a play through for free.

Just don't spend any cash until you've played a month or so and have a feel for the game.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    duthgar1976duthgar1976 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    if you are in a good sized guild you wont haveto que at the end game. i log in ask some guilds if they want to go and we go mixed group or some of the same class. we kick some but get our loot and boom-bing we are done. what is so hard about that?
  • Options
    ladymythosladymythos Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 637 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    My two cents. I'm a rather casual player, and I play simply because I think it's fun. So let me first start by addressing something I read quite a while ago: Content locusts. We see them in every MMO, in past, present and future. What it means is that like the swarms of locusts that fly over the land and devour everything in their path, the 'content locust' devour all the content as quickly as they can, to satisfy their hunger. The problem is that when the content is gone (they reached max level), they notice that there aren't really anything to do there, so they start complainig about it. Then once we get more content, they devour it as quickly as they can to satisfy their hunger again, only to yet again notice there isn't anyhting to do once they ran out of content. This cycle happens over and over, and it will continue to happen until the end of time. Don't just take my word on it. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is out in a month or so. When it is, keep an eye on the forums, and see how many people complain that there aren't anything to do at max level. Or do it in Elder Scrolls Onine. Or Wildstar. Or any other MMO being released. That's not saying content locusts are bad. It just means they never learn, but we should learn from them. It won't kill you to take things slower and smell the roses. So to say.

But back to my opinions. I'm a casual player, and the type to really do smell the roses. Figuratively speaking. Digital roses don't actually smell anything. But what it means is that I take my time to create a character I like, and I take my time to enjoy the game. I try to get some achivements. Not just the slayer ones, but as many as possible. I bother search through the areas to find the Schrying Stones, or whatever they are called, just to get the achivement. I bother stop whatever I am doing and set off into a low-level area, just to help out a stranger who ask me for help. I don't get anything for it other than a thank you, and that's more than enough for me. I am the person who plays Foundry dungeons just to see what people have come up with. And I rate the dungeons based on how I feel about it. I don't give five starts just because I know the person who made it.

And know what? I absolutely love the game. So much, in fact, that I spent some time discussing with myself what mount suited my characters the best, and I intend to get one for each - from the Zen market, no less. The same goes with companions. The TR is a sneaky thief, so she needed a sneaky companions like the Hawk. My GWF is more brutal combat, so she got a companion to match her playstyle, and so on. Well, a boar, but they are nasty creatures when cornered. :p

(really, don't underestimate pigs. We had a female pig with kids when I was younger, who ran off into the woods with her children to raise them there. We tried to get her back by snatching her kids and placing them in the pig ben with a large, mean-looking male pig. We thought the male pig would be able to calm the female down, considering how much smaller she was. What happened was the male big barely survived. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, after all.) ;)
  • Options
    endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I solo.. Its fun for my casual style. No rush and the content is good. If you want to get to max fast then thats when folks gripe about what to do now. You rdally don't have to buy anything unless you want to. Welcome if you decide to play.:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nick1sternnick1stern Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 330 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    ladymythos wrote: »
    My two cents. I'm a rather casual player,

Your two cents is worth much more then 2 cents....
    Nice to hear a review so well thought out.
    Based on the real importance of a game Have FUN.
    Enjoy the trip the destination is not going any place.

To the OP the game is fun if you realise it is only a few months old it
    has problems but the problems are being worked on and dealt with by the devs.
    They are working hard and have resolved many issues in a short time.
    All issues No but that never happens in any game and never fast enough
    for the content Locusts.

Come in to the game play for fun and adventure and you will find it.
    Play for elitism to get to end game as fast as possible you probably will not
    enjoy it nearly as much.

Give it a try with an open mind and I bet you will enjoy it.
  • Options
    abzerothabzeroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited July 2013
    Hey there! I just reached 60 today. I played at most 5-7 hours a week, AT MOST. This by no means is a perfect game, and it has flaws, but also has good points. So I'll tell you what they are!

The Good:

- easy leveling, you can be solo and take your time all the way to 60
    - has a lot of content, in fact I haven't seen the same enemy twice, unlike WoW where at level 1 you fight a yellow crab, but at 60 you fight a BIG RED CRAB with the same model lol.
    - has a really well integrated battle system. I love that you can dodge attacks at the last second.
    - lots of configurations for the different classes
    - money and resources are shared account wide!

The Bad:

- very very easy. The bosses and big minions do this: AOE attack, line atack, spawn minions, AOE attack, line attack, spawn minions, repeat x10000000000.
    - the game has so many inconveniences in order to make you buy Zen with real money. Essentially everything has an inconvenience to make you want to spend money. Example:

----3 SMALL bags only, and a big GOOD bag costs 10$ or **** ton of Astral Diamonds,
    ----bank has 20 slots (or something small), you can buy more slots with, you guessed it, real money
    ----you must buy teleport scrolls which cost a LOT of Astral Diamonds considering the grind you have to put in, or just use real money....
    ----made a mistake in your spec? well too bad you have to pay a LOT of Astral Diamonds to respec,
    ----the list literally goes on

- 3 game currencies, GOLD, ASTRAL DIAMONDS, and ZEN (Real money)
    - Everything that's important aside from mount and injury kits costs Astral Diamonds, which is a real grind to get, you'll see what I mean when you play

Conclusion:

Definitely give this game a shot. It's just an open beta now so changes will comes (I pray). I enjoyed my trek to level 60 but I can 100% see they modeled the game specifically to inconvenience you in order to pay money. I haven't spent a single dollar just because it put me off how the game was modeled. The game deserves money, for sure, but this model just really got me put off. I was gonna buy the 50$ package but then I started leveling :P

GIVE IT A TRY, but save your monies!!
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2013
  • Options
    satanous1satanous1 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Even if all you do is level a class or two to 60 and then call it quits; it's well worth it.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    . . . . . I am also a very casual player. I have yet to get a character to max level since release. My highest character is level 38. I get to play several hours through out the week generally and every time I play, I have a blast. I have actually enjoyed my time in NWO much more so far than any other MMO I have played, even Ultima Online when it was new. Yeah, I really love this game. It does have its quirks and problem areas, but the game is only just over a month old, so she will continue to grow and mature.

. . . . . So, to answer your question. Yes, it is well worth it, in my opinion, to download this free to play game and find out for oneself whether you like it or not. Don't take anyone's word for it, because ultimately it is YOU that decides such and not the biased opinions of people who love or hate it, or love to hate it, or hate to love it.
  • Options
    maggalberrymaggalberry Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The queue is actually over 30 minutes for most classes, 45 minutes if you're lucky, don't be fooled by the 15 minutes. Most of the groups you get will also be incompetent and fail and thus you waste your queue.

Lol? 45 minutes? You must be queuing at the lowest of low times to get those numbers. During peak times, queues are pretty fast, especially when compared to other games.
  • Options
    rustedheartzrustedheartz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi,
    I heard the dungeon Q takes FOREVER to place you into a group (except for Guardian)

Thanks!

Do you have your wallet ready? ;-P
  • Options
    theretronerotheretronero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's a free game. I don't think there's anything bad in downloading a free PvP game and trying it out for yourself. It depends on a person's taste.
    RetroNero
    Level: ???
    Server: Dragon

Class: Great Weapon Fighter
    Mount: Medium Tiger
    Companion: Gray Wolf
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    It's a free game. I don't think there's anything bad in downloading a free PvP game and trying it out for yourself. It depends on a person's taste.

Just a slight correction: The game is not a PvP Game.
    The game might be a PvP game to you and I admit even I enjoy the PvP in the game but the game is both PvE and PvP. :)
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The game is fun, no need to rush thru it. I have 4 accounts with 7 characters total and only have 1 char at lvl 60. Just take your time and enjoy the game.
  • Options
    vientorvientor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited July 2013
    It seems crazy to me that people need to be convinced to try a game that is free to play.

Try it, and see for yourself. Much of whether you will like it or not will have to do with your own preferences. You have to take the negative comments with a grain of salt. While, people may be frustrated with different aspects of the game, they wouldn't be hanging out in the forums if they didn't like the game, somewhat.

Queues can take time. Some times you get in in 10-15 minutes, other times can take much longer. Keep in mind, of course, that you will have other content to run while you are waiting in the queue.

Overall, I think it has very good short-term fun potential for many people, but they are going to have to do some work to make the game viable long-term.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    abzeroth wrote: »
    ----you must buy teleport scrolls which cost a LOT of Astral Diamonds considering the grind you have to put in, or just use real money....

Or just walk? I've leveled up 4 characters to 60 now and never once had a need to use a teleport scroll. I didn't even use the 2 free ones you get. So no they aren't a "must" purchase. They would come in handy, and I admit they cost too much AD whcih is why I don't buy them, but the zones are relatively small that all you have to do is make your way to a zone door and you're back in PE.
  • Options
    jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Don't treat it as you would most other mmos. It's more a one and done game. Try the classes out, foundry, dungeons, pvp, then see how you feel. It is linear like old single player rpgs, with a lot of players.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • Options
    sneakyervinsneakyervin Member Posts: 101
    edited July 2013
    It's fun for leveling, but the game really isnt what it seem like at first glance.

Pros
    -Fun combat system
    -All classes are different
    -First few zones have fun quests
    -Dungeons are neat and pretty.

Cons
    -Very small zones
    -Very linear zones
    -Utterly boring boss fights (adds, adds and then some adds)
    -Leveling is way to quick
    -Everything feels even smaller and quicker once you get your mount.
    -Poor drop rates in dungeons (only worth doing during dungeon delves really, still bad drops though).
    -Frustratingly boring crafting system
    -Gold isnt worth anything really (you get basic crafting items, pots and injury kits for it pretty much)
    -You must spend alot of AD to get more bags (you get 1 at start and 2 from quests, 18 and 12 slot)
    -Gear customization (dyes and appearance change) costs an arm and a leg
    -Horrible clipping issues, facial hair, noses, tails, ears, horns, eyebrows etc sticking through armor/helmets, even on races where you though clipping wouldnt even be an issue, like halflings with sideburns and such or dwarven noses sticking through the helmet visor.
    -Lack of PvP gear/PvP gearing rules/limitations.
  • Options
    raddatackraddatack Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi,

Thanks!

You will come across many people with mixed feelings about this game. Some hate it and most people enjoy it. I enjoy it myself. So just download and try it.
    search%3Fq%3Ddungeons%2Band%2Bdragons%2Blogo%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=dungeons+and+dragons+logo&usg=__h0EtYmMBvby3i0RqIk3wKubdfTU=&docid=2eAJThLCmGZbCM&sa=X&ei=35r_Uac9ldzgA9fsgJgJ&ved=0CC4Q9QEwAA&dur=295