test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game Etiquette

rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Some people need to learn this. If someone tells you not to get involved in their fights, listen and stay out. Last night I had one player get involved in 5 of my fights so I reported him. Tonight I had several more players get involved in my fights. It is called Griefing people as you are ruining other people's fun.

I can see you jumping in if someone is having issues and is low on health. I did that last night to help this CW that was having difficulties and actually died but I rez'd them so they could complete killing the mob they had going. I got a thank you afterwards.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mrz1mmersmrz1mmers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    lol, don't get me wrong, it's annoying when people do this, but reporting them isn't going to do anything because they haven't broken any rules. It's not griefing, the only way it's griefing is if you make a reasonable effort to move(change instance) and they follow you and continue to interfere in your fights..... also griefing requires that the person "griefing" you has some malicious motivation to do so..... such as a rival guild or some other some such thing, in other words, they must be acting out of malice........ what you're describing is called "KSing", and it's not breaking any rules.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sorry but you wrong. It is still griefing as they are following you around and jumping in as soon as you start a fight. Believe me it is griefing, I have been playing MMOs since 2000. I seen it over the years and have seen them get reported and they get dealt with by the GMs. And since we can't discuss the messages from tickets here I can't say what response I got back. But I was smiling.
  • mrz1mmersmrz1mmers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    heh, well, the only way I'd believe they're taking action against people for this is if I'd seen it myself...... I've been playing MMOs longer than you, and only a few(very few) games ever took action against KSers, and PWE/Cryptic is not known to be a company that takes action against such things......... but if it makes you happy, report them :)

But really, it's faster, far more productive, and less of a hassle to just move to another instance and continue where you left off ;)

Perhaps even politely ask them to leave you alone, they may not even realize they're bothering you. :)
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Sorry but you wrong. It is still griefing as they are following you around and jumping in as soon as you start a fight. Believe me it is griefing, I have been playing MMOs since 2000. I seen it over the years and have seen them get reported and they get dealt with by the GMs. And since we can't discuss the messages from tickets here I can't say what response I got back. But I was smiling.

You will probably get no answer. No need to brag about it, we all know such reports never get any answer.

Anyway, there are some classes having trouble killing some of the hardest mobs, although it's required by a specific levelling quest. Just expect it to happen. Mobs belong to no one. Grow up and get over it.
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And this game really doesn't effect you much on KSing. Really it's not a problem unless they one shot every mob you try to fight. As rewards are only given if you are able to do enough damage to receive the reward for killing. The game's XP isn't based around killing; you actually get almost nothing unless it's some super high level enemy or a boss. It's based around questing and such. And as for drops, you get just as much as you would if somebody was to not help you.

KSing is no where near a problem in this game and it is done often and you are like the one and only person to complain.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
    edited July 2013
    Uh huh sure. And I did send them tells only to be told off. And I have changed instances.
    edited July 2013
    diogene0 wrote: »
    You will probably get no answer. No need to brag about it, we all know such reports never get any answer.

Anyway, there are some classes having trouble killing some of the hardest mobs, although it's required by a specific levelling quest. Just expect it to happen. Mobs belong to no one. Grow up and get over it.

I did get a response back. And if you get involved in one of my fights I will report you too. It is still griefing. I get 2 hits in on the mob the other person comes in and kills it and I get nothing cause they did more.
  • megabunnymegabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013

GM's legally can't tell you what they do against someone. When you report someone, and action is taken against them, you'll get a response back saying they'll look into it, and due to privacy, they can't tell you if action is taken, or not.

Nice try, though!

As for the actual subject, they're not breaking any rules, as has been stated by others. If reporting them makes you feel good at night, go for it, but the only thing you're achieving from it is wasting your time.
  • mutantdemocracymutantdemocracy Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sorry but you wrong. It is still griefing as they are following you around and jumping in as soon as you start a fight.

They don't have to be griefing to do this. Some people just want to clear kill quests faster with a second person there. Not everyone wants to party up, either.

It sounds like you're way too sensitive about this. It's a game and you should treat it as such.
    edited July 2013
    megabunny wrote: »
    GM's legally can't tell you what they do against someone. When you report someone, and action is taken against them, you'll get a response back saying they'll look into it, and due to privacy, they can't tell you if action is taken, or not.

Nice try, though!

As for the actual subject, they're not breaking any rules, as has been stated by others. If reporting them makes you feel good at night, go for it, but the only thing you're achieving from it is wasting your time.

Nice try with your stupid response. They are breaking rules. I wouldn't be surprised if you are some of the people doing this to others who just want to be left alone and do the fights by themselves with out other people griefing them
    edited July 2013
    Nice try with your stupid response. They are breaking rules. I wouldn't be surprised if you are some of the people doing this to others who just want to be left alone and do the fights by themselves with out other people griefing them

One problem with this post. There is no rule against KSing.
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
  • jissinjissin Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    In have seen Griefing, KSing, Ninja looting, PKing, Loot camping, etc...

This game has the most controls against such a thing. Of course, you can't take the little so-and-so to another shard to PvP them like another game I used to frequent.

There are people that do that stuff to annoy people. No need to put up with jerks. There maybe no rules against it, there's not need to be rude to other's either, plenty of MOBs to go around.
    edited July 2013
    arcmoon99 wrote: »
    One problem with this post. There is no rule against KSing.

It is not KSing, it is called GRIEFING
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Some people need to learn this. If someone tells you not to get involved in their fights, listen and stay out.
    This is your problem right here , I find that if you totally ignore idiots who are trying to grief you then after a few minutes they tend to get bored and move along to another victim , if you rise to them then you are giving them exactly what they want , a reaction , just ignore them and keep playing , they go away.
  • s1ssys1ssy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And since we can't discuss the messages from tickets here I can't say what response I got back. But I was smiling.

At least come up with a more believable lie.
    I get 2 hits in on the mob the other person comes in and kills it and I get nothing cause they did more.

That's not how the loot-system works in this game, but please keep reporting people for.. nothing.
    They are breaking rules.

They are not. Feel free to read the Terms of service and educate yourself before making bold statements like that.

No matter how often you say it, is is not and will never be, in the way you described it, griefing.
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    While I don't like the idea of anyone being griefed ingame your tone isn't really helping matters, that combined with the fact that you are clearly lying about getting a response 'that made you smile' im not sure i believe you.

Im sure you wont really care about that but hey ho..

What i think is happening is that during a box farming event other people are trying to farm the same areas as you and your coming up short so feel a little sore about it..
  • goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Most other games they had a way to tell if it was you that got credit for killing a mob but this game, coins will drop even if you hit the mob once. So it's hard to tell if you've been ks'd or not. Sorry to say it but they're right it's not griefing and it's not against TOS. Just go ks some bots in whispering for revenge:p
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
    edited July 2013
    Griefing people is hard in an mmo, where if you get enough shots out of the mob, you get your drops regardless.
  • alantiaalantia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Here we go, ks'ing is a form of griefing. Below from the urban dictionary and below that is the first couple lines from Wikipedia and it is frowned upon buy most gamers.

1. griefing
    Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on more
    305 up, 29 down
    1. Purposefully shooting or otherwise sabotaging your teammates in an online game.

2. In online gaming where one repeatedly killing the same individual or individuals over and over again, or camping their corpse to prevent them from retrieving it, or otherwise performing actions in a game to prevent the player from enjoying the game.

3. In online gaming, someone who takes pleasure in creating grief for an opponent via various "cheap" tactics.
    I wish Jork would stop friggen griefing my guild mates everytime we log in and play.
    buy griefing mugs & shirts

ks'ing from Wikipedia
    There are two main causes for kill stealing: the desire for the reward and the desire to cause other players grief. Kill stealing is predominantly done to gain the rewards from a kill. Griefers kill steal as only one of their tactics in annoying other players.[2]
    It is what it is:cool:
  • darkarnadarkarna Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I actually enjoy it when people jump in to steal my kills, I enjoy the fact that 90% of the time I clear out the area before they get the rights to steal and take even greater pleasure by returning the favour when I come across the same person/people killing monsters and diving into their group, wiping everything out which allows me loot rights. That'll teach um!.
  • sneakyervinsneakyervin Member Posts: 101
    edited July 2013
    There is no griefing or KS. If you think you are entitled to an area, you are wrong. The world is free for everyone, there are no spoken or written claims regarding who has the right to this or that mob. If you slack, people will get the benefit.

You can always change instance if you feel too many people are competing in your area. It's an MMO, everyone has the same right to the mobs, unless the game enforces a tagging system, like WoW for instance. So since there is no tag, you have the same opportunity as the next guy to kill and get loot.
  • kr0nixx#5213 kr0nixx Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hop instances or deal with it. That's how the mechanics in this game works, so being able to 'kill steal' your mobs was intended.
  • parp12parp12 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Some people need to learn this. If someone tells you not to get involved in their fights, listen and stay out. Last night I had one player get involved in 5 of my fights so I reported him. Tonight I had several more players get involved in my fights. It is called Griefing people as you are ruining other people's fun.

I can see you jumping in if someone is having issues and is low on health. I did that last night to help this CW that was having difficulties and actually died but I rez'd them so they could complete killing the mob they had going. I got a thank you afterwards.

Anyone can attack a mob and get credit for the kill and/or drops. They are not yours, you can tell this because other people can, do and allowed to attack them as well. Which server are you on? I'll come help you kill stuff.
    edited July 2013

I can tell you the response you got:

Hello

Thank you for the report. We will be conducting a full investigation and taking all appropriate actions. Due to privacy concerns we can not reveal the results of our investigation.

You're easily pleased if that made you smile.
    edited July 2013

It's not KSing because they're not taking anything from you.

It's not griefing because they have as much right to those kills as you.

You're the one in the wrong telling people to stop.
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    LOL @ OP for the self entitled rant.

" This is MINE !!!!! "

ROFL

...OK I'm done... thanks for the giggles....really....good stuff
    alantia wrote: »
    Here we go, ks'ing is a form of griefing. Below from the urban dictionary and below that is the first couple lines from Wikipedia and it is frowned upon buy most gamers.

1. griefing
    Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on more
    305 up, 29 down
    1. Purposefully shooting or otherwise sabotaging your teammates in an online game.

2. In online gaming where one repeatedly killing the same individual or individuals over and over again, or camping their corpse to prevent them from retrieving it, or otherwise performing actions in a game to prevent the player from enjoying the game.

3. In online gaming, someone who takes pleasure in creating grief for an opponent via various "cheap" tactics.
    I wish Jork would stop friggen griefing my guild mates everytime we log in and play.
    buy griefing mugs & shirts

ks'ing from Wikipedia
    There are two main causes for kill stealing: the desire for the reward and the desire to cause other players grief. Kill stealing is predominantly done to gain the rewards from a kill. Griefers kill steal as only one of their tactics in annoying other players.[2]

Um, you're confusing corpse camping and kill stealing. You can quote from wikipedia all you like, there's no KSing in this game.
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    perhaps a single player game is more fitting for your mentality ?
    This is a Cryptic game. Keep your expectations low. Keep them extremely low.
  • nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If there is a problem with the world or the human race in general I would have to say that this thread exemplifies it. The inability to spot actual bad behavior.

Lets have a pop test. See how many of these you can get right.

If two little kids are playing and then one kid takes the other kids toys and pushes him over. Who is being the bad kid?

If everyone on the bus is being respectful and calm expect for one guy who is loud and rude, who is the problem here?

If there is a masked fellow holding a gun and the rest of the bank patrons are holding up their hands, who is the bad guy here?

Did you get all three? Did you get any?

Well here is an extra credit question. Perhaps you can redeem yourself.

In a game there is a player who is playing in a respectful manner and not causing anyone else trouble and there is a rude player who is in other peoples business and causing trouble for them just because he can. Who is the bad player here?

Did you get that one? Apparently it is a very hard problem to crack because almost none of the posters above managed to solve it. They seemed to think that the player with manners and a modicum of self control needed to
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Grow up
    They seemed to imagine that the player who expected other players to act like civilized humans was
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    self entitled
    They even questioned the
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    mentality
    of this player.

And most tellingly, none of these Mensa candidates had anything to say about the real bad actor, the rude kid who, for whatever reason, never managed to get socialized and now is just a roving digital problem for the rest of the world to deal with.

Get sharper ladies and gents who failed, your loved ones would be quite disappointed at your marks on this test. Do not reward rude or awful individuals with your tacit approval. Don't be a rude or awful person yourself. You have a choice.
This discussion has been closed.