test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PVP Sportsmanship

ghostravynghostravyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 59
edited August 2013 in PvE Discussion
Fought two matches today, my pug vs a pug and my pug vs a premade.

The first pug went very well, but I had to ask players not to spawn camp, which was immediately backed up by other players and my team-mates pulled off.

The second pug we were run over, and hard. I don't think anyone my side got any points for that game. That Premade also decided to spawn camp.

Don't spawn-camp guys. Fight on the ground, at the nodes, especially when it's a slaughter. As new players make 60 each day and enter the PVP arena you are creating a negative experience for them. It is easier for me to assuage hurt feelings when we fight at the nodes against a superior team. When you come up and jump us as we're trying to exit our spawn area, you make the experience too negative, and you are only hurting yourself.

You know when it's a slaughter. At that point, you may want to back off just a little when playing the pugs. You've already proven your superiority - let us at least get out of our spawn points. You're winning the match right now, but you're killing the long-term PVP game and enrichment of the sport.
Corrupted Souls, Mindflayer server
uKc2R.gif
Post edited by ghostravyn on

Comments

• roguenerfbatmanroguenerfbatman Banned Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    The world is full of tools. Spawn camping is a disgrace even more so when a premade does it to pugs.
  • ifthirifthir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 281 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    The world is full of tools. Spawn camping is a disgrace even more so when a premade does it to pugs.

totally agree

even when I am with a premade I don't go then camp the spawn and kill people
  • apehceapehce Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There was a thread that was debating if spawn sitting was countered (meaning the losing team cannot stay for indefinite amounts of time at their campfire), spawn camping wouldn't occur at all. IMO it's a solid idea.
  • ghostravynghostravyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 59
    edited July 2013
    apehce wrote: »
    There was a thread that was debating if spawn sitting was countered (meaning the losing team cannot stay for indefinite amounts of time at their campfire), spawn camping wouldn't occur at all. IMO it's a solid idea.
    I like to think that these are two sides to the same coin. Why are the people spawn-sitting? Could it be because the other team is spawn camping?

I can't attest to everyone else's experience, but I'm seeing a lot of this negative behavior toning down. I was surprised when all five members of my pug team stayed in the match the entire fight - but a premade really took our lunch! I don't think we even got a single cap.
    Corrupted Souls, Mindflayer server
    uKc2R.gif
  • roguenerfbatmanroguenerfbatman Banned Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    ifthir wrote: »
    totally agree

Its good to hear that. I pug and most people dont camp when you ask them not to. Most exceptions to the rule is the rogues. Not all rogues, some are great but too many of them are tools and camp hard.

I recall a match i got booted to desktop. Spawned back in to find a lone ungeared GF in spawn being attacked by a rogue. The rest of the team must of left because they were down one. I killed him everytime he came in after that.

What a tool.
  • metaplexusmetaplexus Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Had a fight against a half-premade today. After two of our players leaving (maybe during the first minute), the premade group (3 of the enemies) realized they would get only a little glory and they left when the match was about 500-50 for them. That left our team with one extra player and we actually won it, getting around 1k glory (during the event).

edit: oh, but that was terribly off-topic! I don't like the spawn campers myself either. I know it's possible to visit enemy's graveyard and sometimes I go sit there, but will never attack anyone (even if attacked).
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If my team if stomping the other team and I generally suggest my team let the other team cap a node.

Also, when I kill people I don't trash talk them or dance their corpse, which I've seen happen a few times.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • selaralselaral Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I stopped pvping for a few reasons and spawn camping is one of them. I agree, it turns off new PVPers from the pvp scene. I have been in pugs when I used to do the daily where my group could be winning and I ask them not to spawn camp. A few times I was called a few names under the sun for being 'soft' they said or 'it's a game'. I've had one person say he did it because he knows he gets them mad, that he loved to troll and he was the best player ever.

Some people just need to realize there are others on the other side of that computer screen. What may seem fun now will harm you in the end. You are going to end up with only the same people in PVP and it will die out.

Multiple Personas, only 'One' me
    "Why should one devolve themselves to try and entertain those of a lesser mindset around them?"
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    selaral wrote: »
    A few times I was called a few names under the sun for being 'soft' they said or 'it's a game'.

The exact same "it's a game" argument can be made for playing fair and trying to make sure everybody has a good time, win or lose.

Full disclosure, I kinda liked the bit of PvP I played but since my main interest is PvE, I had to make the sacrifice of not playing it because of how much XP you get (outlevelling content). So I have little experience in the arena, and none at all post-beta, and haven't observed most of the behavior people talk about. It does seem shameful. I was going to get back into PvP after finishing campaigning, but sometimes it seems like more trouble than it would be worth.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Most PvP matches I play in, first 60 seconds players on the other team drop and the players that don't drop sit in spawn waiting for game to end.

I will park my butt below their spawn asking for 1v1's for the next 5-6 minutes. Issue isn't spawn camping but no force boot out of spawn.
  • cdave78cdave78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't spawn camp because you get more points for killing on the node so why spawn camp. Let them recap the home point so you can cap if again for more points. Plus they are less likely to leave and a learning experience for them. Who wants to stand around dancing and looking at each other because the reds all left.
  • brataccasbrataccas Member Posts: 57
    edited July 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    I will park my butt below their spawn asking for 1v1's for the next 5-6 minutes. Issue isn't spawn camping but no force boot out of spawn.

A team I was in recently crushed the opposition causing several of them to quit - one of the remaining guys asked for some 1vs1's which I agreed to and asked the team to let him - they then proceeded to gank him every time he left the spawn.

A huge number of PvP'ers are ******bags that get their kicks from stomping inexperienced/undergeared players - asking them for sportsmanship (or team-work) is a waste of time. Kicking people out of the spawn won't change that.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you dont want to be spawn camped... dont sit in the spawn... Seems like YOU have the power to fix the problem...

If you dont want to be farmed for kills... well it doesnt matter cause there is no permanent K/D tracker or rating... And maybe you shouldnt play PVP if thats an issue for you, or just leave if you are getting spawn camped...

Either way, if you dont wanna be spawn camped, dont sit in your spawn...

The post above, I agree with the 1v1s. I let people when they want it and also ask for it often... I rarely get taken up on the offer.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    brataccas wrote: »
    A huge number of PvP'ers are ******bags that get their kicks from stomping inexperienced/undergeared players - asking them for sportsmanship (or team-work) is a waste of time. Kicking people out of the spawn won't change that.

I agree, I play a match a day or two ago where we wiped the floor withe the opposition and all but one of their side left. The remaining guy was a fresh L60 who asked if the one sided matches and ragequitting were common at L60, most of my side replied that it was far too common. We didn't spawn camp him though, we had a dance off at point 1.

To his credit, he came out and tried to take a point on the other side of the map with the last 100 points to go and killed the one guy on our team who just had to try and get one more kill... rest of us loled.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • moerevolvermoerevolver Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Never been spawn camped before but when my entire team does leave I like to troll the opposing team. I just run around the map playing cat and mouse :D
  • khalibuskhalibus Member Posts: 99
    edited July 2013
    I have to agree. The community is really closed and hostile. At every turn it will turn off new players. 60 PvP for newbies is getting crushed so bad they get jack for glory and spawn camped to boot. Similarly for PVE, oh you don't have experience or know all the shortcuts? Well we aren't teaching you - better sit this one out.

Not exactly conducive to growing a game.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    khalibus wrote: »
    I have to agree. The community is really closed and hostile. At every turn it will turn off new players. 60 PvP for newbies is getting crushed so bad they get jack for glory and spawn camped to boot. Similarly for PVE, oh you don't have experience or know all the shortcuts? Well we aren't teaching you - better sit this one out.

I do like to help out fresh L60's in PvE, but it does get frustrating if they don't listen or you get someone who is utterly clueless about their class...it's fairly hit and hiss.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • geaden007geaden007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    khalibus wrote: »

PVP - I have been in both pvp matches where I stomped and again been stomped on. I don't condone spawn camping and believe it speaks volumes about a person who despite winning, feels the need to port to losing side and grief. If people on the losing side are being crushed and it is evident they will not be able to cap a point or get a kill and therefore earn no glory, it is their right to sit at the spawn point and wait for the match to be over so they can finish the daily. Nothing says that we must jump down and effectively commit suicide over and over again just so the other team can inflate their glory.

PVE- True story, sent tell after seeing post in zone chat on dungeon run. Explained that I exceeded their gear score but haven't been able to find a group to take me through so I could gain the experience. I got the invite, and a short time later was booted from the group. Since there was no explanation I can only surmise it was because I died doing what I was told, following while the group leader was training mobs to a shortcut where we were supposed to jump off. Really!? I die doing what you tell me and you just boot me without a word?

I have been in the same position in other MMOs where my group has done the instance before and we were short a person. Though if we knew the person had little to no experience, we accepted that it was our choice to invite them and our responsibility to help them learn and that they may die a couple times trying. To just boot somebody without even a word, and the only instruction is "follow me", is just plain poor leadership and lack of maturity.

Hopefully people will realize how behavior (good or bad) is tied to the success of an MMO.
  • chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How about you come out of the spawn area then? Nothing more annoying than a team that either quits or sits up there out of fear. Face your fear.
  • abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    ghostravyn wrote: »
    Fought two matches today, my pug vs a pug and my pug vs a premade.

The first pug went very well, but I had to ask players not to spawn camp, which was immediately backed up by other players and my team-mates pulled off.

The second pug we were run over, and hard. I don't think anyone my side got any points for that game. That Premade also decided to spawn camp.

Don't spawn-camp guys. Fight on the ground, at the nodes, especially when it's a slaughter. As new players make 60 each day and enter the PVP arena you are creating a negative experience for them. It is easier for me to assuage hurt feelings when we fight at the nodes against a superior team. When you come up and jump us as we're trying to exit our spawn area, you make the experience too negative, and you are only hurting yourself.

You know when it's a slaughter. At that point, you may want to back off just a little when playing the pugs. You've already proven your superiority - let us at least get out of our spawn points. You're winning the match right now, but you're killing the long-term PVP game and enrichment of the sport.

The real problem and ill say it again.. Is... Spawn Sitting. If there was no Spawn sitting there would be no camping. After 10 secs in the spawn area you should be thrown out of it to fight. This will fix the issue instantly. If you don't want to fight surrender. Simple as that.

All spawn sitters are the worst and should be reported. Making us try and get up there to kill them how lame.
  • evilderprimus88evilderprimus88 Member Posts: 148 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    The real problem and ill say it again.. Is... Spawn Sitting. If there was no Spawn sitting there would be no camping. After 10 secs in the spawn area you should be thrown out of it to fight. This will fix the issue instantly. If you don't want to fight surrender. Simple as that.

All spawn sitters are the worst and should be reported. Making us try and get up there to kill them how lame.

Are you just trying to justify the repeatable bullying of new or unexperienced or undergeared players?
    edited August 2013
    Are you just trying to justify the repeatable bullying of new or unexperienced or undergeared players?

I am trying to figure out why players que for PvP then don't partake in it. Once you enter the arena there should be NO safe zone I mean come on there are no other games I have pvp in where a team can hang out during a match in a safe zone. Of course there is camping in PvP in this game and others but to have a safe zone to make it worse is stupid. Fact is there is less spawn camping in games that don't have a safe zone spawn area. Why. Because you know its not safe and have to move your #$% from it unless you want to get killed. Its very simple. Get rid of safe zones and Spawn sitting and the PvP will increase. Have more maps and 10v10.
  • troljtrolj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3
    edited August 2013
    I am trying to figure out why players que for PvP then don't partake in it. Once you enter the arena there should be NO safe zone I mean come on there are no other games I have pvp in where a team can hang out during a match in a safe zone. Of course there is camping in PvP in this game and others but to have a safe zone to make it worse is stupid. Fact is there is less spawn camping in games that don't have a safe zone spawn area. Why. Because you know its not safe and have to move your #$% from it unless you want to get killed. Its very simple. Get rid of safe zones and Spawn sitting and the PvP will increase. Have more maps and 10v10.

This is mainly a PvE game, PvP here is a side activity at most. If you are are looking for quality PvP time you are in the wrong game. There are spawn camps for a reason, if people do not want to make a repeatable suicides, who are you to call them out for it? Who are you to grief another person for youre personal entertainment?

That said spawn camping will still be here because some people are plain ******bags, you cant fix that. There was a match once where i was the only one left obviously i stayed at campfire since there was no i could face a whole team, after pushing people out of my camp few times i just left before they could kill me. I agree it dose turn off new players.
    edited August 2013
    trolj wrote: »
    This is mainly a PvE game, PvP here is a side activity at most. If you are are looking for quality PvP time you are in the wrong game. There are spawn camps for a reason, if people do not want to make a repeatable suicides, who are you to call them out for it? Who are you to grief another person for youre personal entertainment?

That said spawn camping will still be here because some people are plain ******bags, you cant fix that. There was a match once where i was the only one left obviously i stayed at campfire since there was no i could face a whole team, after pushing people out of my camp few times i just left before they could kill me. I agree it dose turn off new players.

I don't know why people make this response. This is not a PvP game. Basically all MMO's are PvE based but PvP is a huge draw to almost every MMO out there. This game can have a good quality of PvP has a great combat system in place still a new game so tons of potential. I guess you are one of those players that don't want them to work on PvP. Well guess what PvP is here to stay and I play this game for PvP. So do many others all of my friends actually. That's the draw for us. Until maybe we find something else but for now its PvP here and a lot of it. So stop with the its a PvE game of course it is. If this game wants to be a Success though you better believe they need PvP to do that.

Spawn camp are there for a reason for players to spawn then soon as they get up either change skills tactics and enter the fight. They need 10-15 seconds for this. Then if they dont' exit the camp area yes they should be catapulted out. Now of course with changes like this adjustments to maps either size also making them 10v10 which is what I really want to see anyways. Would be nice.

Spawn campers exist in every game but guess what in those game the spawn area isn't a safe zone anyone can enter. So it makes it kinda fair. To have a area where the other team can't go in a match is stupid. I haven't been in a PvP match in another game where the spawn area was a safe zone. With that being said the maps, reward, and gear needs some reworking. If you que for a Domination match you might just get Dominated if you don't want to die don't que. Just had a match team left after 500 pts so it was 5v0. Now what. Game just drags on with no fighting in it.

There should be a surrender button and if there is no fighting for 30 secs on the map it closes and the team with the higher pts wins. So a new match can begin. So if players leave just hit surrender and you don't have to get beaten apon. Its some simple fixes where no one losses out.
  • troljtrolj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3
    edited August 2013
    I don't know why people make this response. This is not a PvP game. Basically all MMO's are PvE based but PvP is a huge draw to almost every MMO out there. This game can have a good quality of PvP has a great combat system in place still a new game so tons of potential. I guess you are one of those players that don't want them to work on PvP. Well guess what PvP is here to stay and I play this game for PvP. So do many others all of my friends actually. That's the draw for us. Until maybe we find something else but for now its PvP here and a lot of it. So stop with the its a PvE game of course it is. If this game wants to be a Success though you better believe they need PvP to do that.

Neverwinter being what it is an MMORPG will never see balanced PVP, ever. There will be gear that will decide for you. Unless they take steps, which i doubt since PvP is a great way to make make money without braking main content -PvE. PvP centered games will never allow such disbalance in first place. You may like the combat system and PvP in general may hold more appeal to you then PvE but this game will never see balance nor PvP at the scale you hope unless it switches focus from PvE to PvP. Im surprised you play this game for its PvP, this is definitely the wrong game for it. Well to each their own i suppose.

You made some valid suggestions and maybe one day some of them will be implanted, but not in near future. People camp sit when they are outnumbered in most cases. What is the point of getting down, to get youre face beaten in 5v1? What is the point of getting in to campfire and grief the players if you are face rolling them as it is? Its not like you can farm boat load of glory from it. Dont answer those questions, they are rhetorical. P.s. a lot of PvE centered games have safe spots in PvP area, since PvP is mostly there as an after thought to offer some diversity and keep cap lvl busy and not serious business as you may think it should be. For serous PvP look in to some MOBAs they offer more balance.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I still don't quite get why SPAWN SITTING is abom's personal hate-target, while "just quitting the match entirely" is A-ok, and in fact something he apparently does whenever he sees a team he doesn't like.

It does amuse me watching QUITE how many threads he can manage to pollute with "OMG FIX SPAWN SITTING" though. The guy has stamina.
  • llantissllantiss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ifthir wrote: »
    totally agree

You premade against pugs? sad :[
  • ifthirifthir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 281 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    llantiss wrote: »
    You premade against pugs? sad :[

I am mostly talking about when myself and a few others queue for a pug not a full 5 man premade.
  • bkloesbkloes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I started reading this post from the beginning and I applaud the sportsmanship....then I started reading those posting about how spawn sitting is the problem. I would ask what came first the spawn camping or sitting. Obviously you can't camp if people are not just sitting in their safe zone, HOWEVER!!! I have been in matches where people leave and we are so out classed that the other team has pushed us to the safe zone. I will tell you nothing spells fun like leaving camp only to have 5 players all jump on you trying to get more kills and points. If these same people would sit back and let me try and take them at the node maybe I would not sit in my camp. I have 2 toons that are L60 but neither have much beyond basic/glory gear.

On a side note a few people above made comments about how....In no game I play is their a safe zone....blah blah blah.....In no other game that you play can people buy gear that makes things lopsided. So yeah, if someone decided to sit in camp instead of adding a +1 to your kill ratio maybe you need to rethink sportsmanship and let them out of camp to try and learn PvP....I am getting crazy thoughts here....How about fighting them 1v1 instead of trying to pad your kill stats?
    edited August 2013
    I know for myself I would never try to get up there if I knew the other team would always be either:

1- Fighting
    2- Surrender

I now have no reason to try and kill afkers in a safe zone. There will be combat constantly or the match will close in 30sec from a lack of fighting.

Also reward system needs to be redone and glory awarded not at the end of the match but as you kill.

1 kill = 30 glory whether you win lose or surrender. That kinda keeps the motivation a lil higher.