test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is this it?!

shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
After pushing the game back for 1 year to reformulate the engine, then losing an additional year because
of other various problems, Cryptic studios is satisfied with this not so D&D cartoony cheap ftp chinese cashcow? Do you people really not want to pay a $10 a month subscription fee that you'll settle for this? Perhaps I'm compareing this to the BG and IWD days, but those outdated infinity engines gave better D&D feeling than this.
Post edited by shredstallion33 on

Comments

• Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Part of this is the changes to D&D. They started D&D 4 with a blank sheet of paper an threw out anything that was too complex for a mentally challenged 2 year old to understand. This is the result.

And the graphics here are better than most MMOS. Its one of the top 5 or so strongest points in the game.
  • Options
    cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Do you people really not want to pay a $10 a month subscription fee that you'll settle for this?

...yes?

Personally, there's nothing out there that interests me enough to spend that kind of money. I've played WoW and didn't enjoy it enough to justify the cost of keeping up a subscription. Everything else is either a cheap WoW knockoff or doesn't have a trial so I can try it and see if I like it enough to spend money on it.

Even among f2p games there are too many WoW clones to count, and those that aren't tend to be some cartoony Asian game that doesn't interest me either.

But I totally get what you're saying. It's sad that this game could be so much more in the hands of a skilled company.
  • Options
    shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited July 2013
    its not the graphics that offend me as much as the cartoony asian style looks of the characters, ex. FF7 prettyboy emo haircut with a flagpole sized sword.
  • Options
    bird1961bird1961 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Cryptic studios is satisfied with this not so D&D cartoony cheap ftp chinese cashcow?
    They did the same with Star Trek and made money. So yeah.
  • Options
    kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    After pushing the game back for 1 year to reformulate the engine, then losing an additional year because
    of other various problems, Cryptic studios is satisfied with this not so D&D cartoony cheap ftp chinese cashcow? Do you people really not want to pay a $10 a month subscription fee that you'll settle for this? Perhaps I'm compareing this to the BG and IWD days, but those outdated infinity engines gave better D&D feeling than this.

You have a join date of Nov 2012, why have you left it until now to ask this question?

There have been numerous closed beta weekends, an open-beta (??), and a formal launch. As I understand it, the game hasn't changed that much during that period at all.

Regardless of your timing of the question, I do agree with you in that this game could have been a whole lot more than it is. I managed to convince myself to just enjoy the game for what it is, rather than what I had hoped for. Unfortunately, it only worked for so long...
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    its not the graphics that offend me as much as the cartoony asian style looks of the characters, ex. FF7 prettyboy emo haircut with a flagpole sized sword.

I have a ponytail and the sword is the jawbone of some ancient dragon! I swing mah sword!!!!
  • Options
    vanorvanor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    reviews are in at gamespot.

Do you work for Gamespot or something? This is the 3rd thread you've made that same post in.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    and I have yet to make a thread in this forum.....just posts in existing.

but then again...you made up your own mind about that :)
    edited July 2013

completely subjective point of view. adds little to any constructive dialogue.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    possibly.

or not.

you decide....you will never know ultimately.

Well...to tell the truth.....it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    cgta1967cgta1967 Member Posts: 86
    edited July 2013
    amen brah............
    edited July 2013
    Pretty spot on regarding the review
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • Options
    altumusaltumus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I like the game, find it entertaining for 1-2hours at a time and have several friends that enjoy it to. I dont want some overly grandiose and arrogant story arc, I want to hack**** up and have fun. Grouping could be better for sure but hardly a bad game given how many people playing it.
  • Options
    cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Cryptic studios is satisfied with this not so D&D cartoony cheap [F2P] chinese cashcow?

Haha! Love the imagery (and fixed the F2P reference for you). :)

You're a little late to the party though. Lots of complaint threads about pay-to-win, the horrible character graphics, etc. I agree with quite a bit of it, but there's still plenty to enjoy Neverwinter without falling into that end-game pay-to-win competition. I haven't spent a dime here. I've enjoyed the Foundry, both playing and making quests. However right now the Foundry editor/servers are done, so the UGC community is being rubbed the wrong way from that.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • Options
    pwskballpwskball Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wth guys have u all not quit? This is a game?
  • Options
    ontonanontonan Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    cinj216 wrote: »
    ...yes?

Personally, there's nothing out there that interests me enough to spend that kind of money. I've played WoW and didn't enjoy it enough to justify the cost of keeping up a subscription. Everything else is either a cheap WoW knockoff or doesn't have a trial so I can try it and see if I like it enough to spend money on it.

Even among f2p games there are too many WoW clones to count, and those that aren't tend to be some cartoony Asian game that doesn't interest me either.

But I totally get what you're saying. It's sad that this game could be so much more in the hands of a skilled company.

This times 50bazillion.
  • Options
    chintaechintae Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    The article is, wow, very spot on, but yet it seems to have missed so much of the game. I guess reviews should focus on one thing and go with it, I guess.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited July 2013
    Well I do enjoy not calculating my character's THAC0 anymore :rolleyes: The old D&D was too convoluted and complex you spend most of each game doing too much math. The new D20 system made everything simpler.
  • Options
    lorelinlorelin Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I agree that Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale gave me so much more of that precious D&D feeling... but besides the graphics, it's also the non-existent story, lack of memorable npcs, and to an extent, the action-style gameplay: Rogues don't need to scout ahead in a dungeon and disarm traps, everybody just runs in and smashes.
  • Options
    riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, don't know why you're hanging out trolling a game you don't like.
    But, yeah, I'm still enjoying the game. With two maxed characters, I'm not playing the obsessive hours I used to, but still playing several hours a day.
    Looking forward to Fury of the Feywild.
    Neverwinter game is a great D&D, FR setting. As compelling as reading D&D manuals or novels... if not moreso.

Bugs will get fixed as soon as the devs can fix them. Which will never be as soon as players want them fixed.
  • Options
    jegerwulfjegerwulf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited July 2013
    I find Neverwinter hard to rate. Objectively, it doesn't offer that much - call it a 7.0.

Subjectively, though, I find that I enjoy it more than that. I like the combat. I like feeling powerful. I like assigning skill points. It brings many things to the table that Diablo III missed on. Overall, I am calling it an 8.0. A very nice, fun little game.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    . . . . . First of all, while the parent company may be Chinese (Perfect World Bejing) - Perfect World Entertainment is a North American company based in California and is employed by so many Americans and others from other parts of the World. I fail to see any resemblance to Final Fantasy graphics and I have played them all since they were on the original Nintendo!

. . . . . Bottom line, this is a North American designed game and it is employed by not only Americans but others from around the World and almost all of the Developers play PnP D&D - it's not their fault they were paid to design a game after 4th edition and one comes into the game expecting 2nd or 3rd edition rules or loathes 4th edition (I personally abhor 4th edition but I love the game none-the-less). It is best to be informed and make informed criticism and feeback.
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Bottom line, this is a North American designed game and it is employed by not only Americans but others from around the World and almost all of the Developers play PnP D&D - it's not their fault they were paid to design a game after 4th edition and one comes into the game expecting 2nd or 3rd edition rules or loathes 4th edition (I personally abhor 4th edition but I love the game none-the-less). It is best to be informed and make informed criticism and feeback.

How dare you blame the short-comings of this game on 4th edition? 4th edition is way better, all of my friends come away from this game unimpressed, but wanting me come up with another PnP 4th Edition D&D campaign. And they've tried 3rd with another DM, but still prefer 4th.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    seraphnaseraphna Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    How dare you blame the short-comings of this game on 4th edition? 4th edition is way better, all of my friends come away from this game unimpressed, but wanting me come up with another PnP 4th Edition D&D campaign. And they've tried 3rd with another DM, but still prefer 4th.

What's your point exactly? That your friends happen to like 4th edition? So what? That doesn't mean the system lacks any shortcomings or flaws.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    seraphna wrote: »
    What's your point exactly? That your friends happen to like 4th edition? So what? That doesn't mean the system lacks any shortcomings or flaws.

You still can't justifiably blame all the short-comings, limitations, and flaws of Neverwinter Online on 4th edition. 4th edition lets you wield any type of weapon, wear any type of armor, with no level restrictions, so long as you have proficiency. If your class doesn't have the proficiency with what you want to use, just take a feat. Rogues get to use Dex to calculate their damage bonus in 4th edition with the Weapon Finesse feat. A wizard could even use his Intelligence to gain a bonus with the same feat using a longsword. Not in this game. You create your own build in 4th edition. Not in this game. Two people of the same class don't have to start with the same powers at level one in 4th edition because you have over a dozen to choose from even if you just have Player's Handbook 1. You can multi-class, and create hybrid classes. There are also applications that let you design your own monsters and dungeons for 4th edition. We can make dungeons in the Foundry, but we don't get dragons, and can't create original monsters, or choose what moves the ones we have will use. How does this game compare to 4th edition considering all those options we'll apparently NEVER get in Neverwinter?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    I did not say that. You are omitting the conjuncture in the sentence and interpreting incorrectly.

"
    - it's not their fault they were paid to design a game after 4th edition and one comes into the game expecting 2nd or 3rd edition rules or loathes 4th edition "
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    I did not say that. You are omitting the conjuncture in the sentence and interpreting incorrectly.

"
    - it's not their fault they were paid to design a game after 4th edition and one comes into the game expecting 2nd or 3rd edition rules or loathes 4th edition "

Who says everyone who has an issue with this game's rules is a 2nd or 3rd edition fan? 4th edition fans are the ones most disappointed. We were told this was based on our most beloved iteration, then find it's nothing like it, and gives us zero options when it comes to building our characters outside of their aesthetics. When we complain about these things, we constantly get the response that it's because it was based on 4th edition, and we're just pining for 3rd, then you personally state you loathe 4th yourself. I've seen this happen a hundred times now. Just say that your developers didn't have time to design animations for every single attack in 4th edition. Admit that you're not humanly capable of producing a game as great and expansive as 4th edition, instead of blaming your failure to replicate something on what you're trying to replicate. It's like a painter claiming his work sucks because the nude model he hired was ugly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rujfmorrisrujfmorris Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    4th ed to me seems like a more in-depth warhammer. I personally enjoyed 2nd the most due to the freedom of action. If you could imagine it in a way that made sense and your DM liked it, hey, go for it. You aren't restricted by a need of miniatures on a grid. That said, 4th ed was still a good system. I also enjoy this game immensely because I get to play an (albeit diminished) form of D&D with friends and family. That hasn't been the case in YEARS.
  • Options
    vanorvanor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    rujfmorris wrote: »
    If you could imagine it in a way that made sense and your DM liked it, hey, go for it. You aren't restricted by a need of miniatures on a grid.

I've been playing D&D since the red box. And what you say here has been true of every edition published. Sure 3, 3.5 and 4 may of done more to make mini's useful, and integrated into the game. But there was never an edition published that told the DM that he/she couldn't do something that wasn't covered in the rules.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    rujfmorris wrote: »
    4th ed to me seems like a more in-depth warhammer. I personally enjoyed 2nd the most due to the freedom of action. If you could imagine it in a way that made sense and your DM liked it, hey, go for it. You aren't restricted by a need of miniatures on a grid. That said, 4th ed was still a good system. I also enjoy this game immensely because I get to play an (albeit diminished) form of D&D with friends and family. That hasn't been the case in YEARS.

One of the golden rules in 4e a lot of people seemed to have overlook is that it's okay to break the rules. People who were conditioned by video games and picked it up had a hard time thinking outside the box and actually role-playing, as they focused more on the tactical combat rules.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]