What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is this it?!

2»

Comments

• rujfmorrisrujfmorris Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    vanor wrote: »
    I've been playing D&D since the red box. And what you say here has been true of every edition published. Sure 3, 3.5 and 4 may of done more to make mini's useful, and integrated into the game. But there was never an edition published that told the DM that he/she couldn't do something that wasn't covered in the rules.

It didn't make them more useful in my opinion. It basically created a need to use them, which I feel took away from the game.
  • voxx75voxx75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 61
    edited July 2013
    The game is free. You don't need to spend a dime on it. Remember those days when you had to pay for a game AND a monthly subscription and the game STILL sucked?
    @voxx75:
    "An Occurrence at Faolon's Field"
    (daily eligible)
    Shortcode: NW-DGPROFMWU
    "A Lunacy in Havenlock" (needs reviews!)
    Shortcode: NW-DUY2JXAQQ
  • vanorvanor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    rujfmorris wrote: »
    It basically created a need to use them, which I feel took away from the game.

I never really did 4e myself, suck with 3.5 and Pathfinder. But I did look at 4e, and I didn't see anything in the rules that required the use of mini's. It may of been easier with them then without them, but that was true in 2e as well.

The golden rule of D&D always has been and so far always will be this. "The DM can break the rules anytime they want, if doing do makes the game better."
  • jeepinjeepin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well I do enjoy not calculating my character's THAC0 anymore :rolleyes: The old D&D was too convoluted and complex you spend most of each game doing too much math. The new D20 system made everything simpler.

That sums up the problem with this world.....
  • overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    After pushing the game back for 1 year to reformulate the engine, then losing an additional year because
    of other various problems, Cryptic studios is satisfied with this not so D&D cartoony cheap ftp chinese cashcow? Do you people really not want to pay a $10 a month subscription fee that you'll settle for this? Perhaps I'm compareing this to the BG and IWD days, but those outdated infinity engines gave better D&D feeling than this.

I would happily pay $20.00 a month if the classes were more diverse and specialized/2x as many classes, if the game facilitated grouping more, if the sub came with a smallish stipend of zen or some random free thing (like an enchanted key) from the zen market each month, and lastly if they really let the foundry out of the box and allowed players to create and host their own persistent worlds.

NW is fun. It doesn't take its self too seriously so the rough spots don't stand out so much. Games that take themselves too seriously end up being fail (see swtor). NW manages to sometimes be a parody of its self and the genre and at other times manages to be a really solid very impressive game.
    edited July 2013
    About dnd...yes 2nd edition was my favorite, though third made nwn good. Funny how someone says old dnd made you do too much math. God forbid you have have to keep what is probably the single most fundamentally useful life-skill good and sharp when playing a game. There was nothing that said you HAD to follow every single rule. The DM made the rules using the books as a guide. A good DM used the rules as a foundation and only made some minor changes that were consistent throughout the campaign. Old pnp D N D is sill unsurpassed in terms of combining the best elements of the sandbox genre with the best elements of tactical game play and roleplaying. Way ahead of its time. No NW doesn't touch that but it is like asking Cryptic to bust out a truly legendary and inspired game that creates its own genre.

NW is simply a vanilla MMO with DnD-FR as the setting. But it isn't just vanilla, it is really really tasty vanilla. It is what it is and it does a pretty darn good job at that.
  • choranthchoranth Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First of all I'd like people to stop D&D edition wars and fanboyism.

4e is a game that's very different from previous editions and focuses on good, tactical combats as its main attractive.
    You still can do all those roleplaying sessions you were used to do with the previous editions, but the manuals don't loose too much time detailing things that are not combat. Because D&D is about fighting (big, flying, roaring and firebreathing) monsters and exploring monster-ridden dungeons.
    But yeah I have no problems recognizing the differences from the previous editions.

To me the real problem is that Baldur's Gate II was still too combat-heavy for a 2nd edition campaign but it has a good story and I really enjoyed it. It was a D&D adventure.
    Planescape: Torment had a great plot and way less combat. But again it was a D&D-like experience.
    NWN II: MotB has my favourite NPCs and plot...

Neverwinter has a good plot, Even if I started losing the logical consequences' string after Helm's Hold. It'ss a little bit dispersive to me and when you end the leveling you also switch from exploring the plot to just grinding. I guess it's the difference between a cRPG and a MMORPG.
    But the other thing I did not like is that it lacks the one part that makes 4e players like 4e. Tactical grid by turns combat. Yes, the names of the powers, the races, the setting, it's all very 4e but it's not D&D 4e. Not at all.
    Yes, I'm one of those who would have liked Neverwinter to be the ToEE-like game it had to be at the beginning, and one who would have liked ToEE if only it used a grid for combat.

So it's not 4e, neither flavorwise (grinding!) nor mechanicallywise.

It's fun, even if I play it for free and I need like 200kk AD to get endgame gear, that I will never get.
    Even if I can't complete some achievements (skirmishes!) ever.
    Even if I play in a guild whose players have disappeared and the guild bank is full of things I can't touch...

But it's not the game I'd play if a good tactical + plot D&D 4e game was out.
  • abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    After pushing the game back for 1 year to reformulate the engine, then losing an additional year because
    of other various problems, Cryptic studios is satisfied with this not so D&D cartoony cheap ftp chinese cashcow? Do you people really not want to pay a $10 a month subscription fee that you'll settle for this? Perhaps I'm compareing this to the BG and IWD days, but those outdated infinity engines gave better D&D feeling than this.

I would gladly pay 10bucks a month for them to fix everything
    edited July 2013
    choranth wrote: »
    First of all I'd like people to stop D&D edition wars and fanboyism.

4e is a game that's very different from previous editions and focuses on good, tactical combats as its main attractive.
    You still can do all those roleplaying sessions you were used to do with the previous editions, but the manuals don't loose too much time detailing things that are not combat. Because D&D is about fighting (big, flying, roaring and firebreathing) monsters and exploring monster-ridden dungeons.
    But yeah I have no problems recognizing the differences from the previous editions.

To me the real problem is that Baldur's Gate II was still too combat-heavy for a 2nd edition campaign but it has a good story and I really enjoyed it. It was a D&D adventure.
    Planescape: Torment had a great plot and way less combat. But again it was a D&D-like experience.
    NWN II: MotB has my favourite NPCs and plot...

Neverwinter has a good plot, Even if I started losing the logical consequences' string after Helm's Hold. It'ss a little bit dispersive to me and when you end the leveling you also switch from exploring the plot to just grinding. I guess it's the difference between a cRPG and a MMORPG.
    But the other thing I did not like is that it lacks the one part that makes 4e players like 4e. Tactical grid by turns combat. Yes, the names of the powers, the races, the setting, it's all very 4e but it's not D&D 4e. Not at all.
    Yes, I'm one of those who would have liked Neverwinter to be the ToEE-like game it had to be at the beginning, and one who would have liked ToEE if only it used a grid for combat.

So it's not 4e, neither flavorwise (grinding!) nor mechanicallywise.

It's fun, even if I play it for free and I need like 200kk AD to get endgame gear, that I will never get.
    Even if I can't complete some achievements (skirmishes!) ever.
    Even if I play in a guild whose players have disappeared and the guild bank is full of things I can't touch...

But it's not the game I'd play if a good tactical + plot D&D 4e game was out.

I agree with this pretty much, and I think its well said. Yes it is more of an mmo. Your AD issue really emphasizes that. You can generate literally millions of astral diamonds in a few months. But to do so you gotta do the alts/primary system and hit gateway a few times a day for a few minutes each time.
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    TOEE rocked!!!!
  • lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    Part of this is the changes to D&D. They started D&D 4 with a blank sheet of paper an threw out anything that was too complex for a mentally challenged 2 year old to understand. This is the result.

And the graphics here are better than most MMOS. Its one of the top 5 or so strongest points in the game.

Totally agree with this. The 4th edition rules was a fail even for WOTC which is why 5th ed rules is being finsihed now. 5ed bring back the missing stuff from 3.0 edition. I beta testing 5ed i like it so much more then 4.0.
  • shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited July 2013
    I got my 4E for dummies last xmas, and its not 4E that's made neverwinter lack content.
  • threstonthreston Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    Part of this is the changes to D&D. They started D&D 4 with a blank sheet of paper an threw out anything that was too complex for a mentally challenged 2 year old to understand. This is the result.

this ^^
    /10
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Meh I'm ok to play this until ESO closed beta invite or open beta and even then , None of the current MMO's mean much to me now since watching the new GTA trailer and seeing a little bit of GTA Online ,once that comes out I know where I'm heading and I know who'll be getting my money since it's a given that Rockstar will almost certainly be pro about running an online game , which is more than I can say about Cryptic.....