test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Restricted "Need" rolls - BoP required!

Comments

• cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Which is why the item remains BoE on Greed so that people with the best gear can then sell it provided no-one else in the group actually needs it.....

But then you're back to the same problem. If everyone in the group has all their gear, then everyone rolls greed or need? If they're all rolling need it will be BoP under your system. They'd have to roll greed. And sure enough in a PUG that would be a mistake, because you'd have need rolls even when they don't need it. That means you're relying upon PUGers to know that need will always BoP. Most PUGers are naive their first time in a dungeon.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    But then you're back to the same problem. If everyone in the group has all their gear, then everyone rolls greed or need? If they're all rolling need it will be BoP under your system. They'd have to roll greed. And sure enough in a PUG that would be a mistake, because you'd have need rolls even when they don't need it. That means you're relying upon PUGers to know that need will always BoP. Most PUGers are naive their first time in a dungeon.

Err, if everyone has all their gear then they have no incentive to roll NEED since they won't be able to sell it on the AH. So if they want to make AD they will roll GREED....

And I am pretty sure by the time most puggers get to the high level dungeons where the items are actually worth selling on the AH they will be familiar with the idea. I REALLY doubt that any pugger will get all the way to Castle Never and the first time he ever rolls NEED and wins is on a multimillion AD purple epic....
  • karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    krumple01 wrote: »
    This whole post is silly. A huge majority of the stuff being sold is actually loot gained from DD chests since the bosses almost always drop <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> loot. So I don't even get why so many cry about need or greed.

I say get rid of the need or greed and just put in ROLL or PASS. Everyone who wants it click roll for it and everyone who doesn't care use PASS. Is it so hard? We don't need any of this BoP <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

In ddo every one running raids rolled on their loot and it seemed to work fine. If you wanted it, you rolled for it, even if it wasn't for your class or if you wanted to sell it. You rolled. Let the server and fate determine who gets rich or would gets an item upgrade.

So can we stop crying about need or greed yet?

I love they get what they asked for and still cry.

Thing is the change was never needed anyway. The vast majority of players in PUGs were always courteous when it came to class items - passing or greeding even when need was an option. I was among a few players who didn't automatically need on class items if I wasn't going to wear it and, while you saw this less often, it wasn't uncommon for others to do the same.

It seems to me that the greediest players are those who cry about 'ninjas' and expect to pick up everything just because it happens to suit their chosen class. I really wish Cryptic would do as you and others have suggested - implement Roll or Pass - and be done with it.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Err, if everyone has all their gear then they have no incentive to roll NEED since they won't be able to sell it on the AH. So if they want to make AD they will roll GREED....

And I am pretty sure by the time most puggers get to the high level dungeons where the items are actually worth selling on the AH they will be familiar with the idea....

Really? Do you play the game in a parallel universe. Plenty of puggers say nothing, rush past people for all the nodes, and need on everything, even the unidentified greens. I'm not even sure how they have the bag space.
  • cipher9nemocipher9nemo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And I am pretty sure by the time most puggers get to the high level dungeons where the items are actually worth selling on the AH they will be familiar with the idea. I REALLY doubt that any pugger will get all the way to Castle Never and the first time he ever rolls NEED and wins is on a multimillion AD purple epic....

True, that's a good point. So that only leaves jackazzery for PUGers to roll need to deny the greed rollers doing it for in-game income. There are still idiotic PUGers at that level of progression though. And accidental Need clicks.
    cipher_jitn_sig.png
    Hammerfist Clan. Jump into the Night: NW-DMXWRYTAD
  • fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I personally feel the BOP is not needed. That is will do more damage then good.

A: What if someone accidently both rolls need. The inability to trade the item after you won it will be a big set back. They will submit a ticket and time that could be spent on customer support will be on trading gear.

B: Nothing is work with the current system. This game encourages us to shell out hard earned cash for in game items. If they are able sell Hero of North well after the beta and launch is done for 200 dollars. Why wouldn't they allow us to trade enchanted keys or whatever in their zen store in exchange for gear. They only stand to profit if more people are buying in game items for in game gear.

C: People do dungeons for numerous reasons, one of them is to farm. Why repeat a dungeon if its going be BOP. That cancels out the reason for doing it, selling it on AH for diamonds

D: As far to my knowledge nothing is wrong with the system, if a ninja looter is taking items. Don't run dungeons with leaders who change the loot rules. I can hit need on items that I can't use for my class. I think its working as intended now.

The only problem is the elite few discouraged who run dungeons because they want to gloat in their special gear, claiming how great and superior they are. They are likely upset, the same gear can be obtained through other means. Its not like its cheap. I traded 5-10 keys for one to two items of T2 gear.
    edited July 2013
    True, that's a good point. So that only leaves jackazzery for PUGers to roll need to deny the greed rollers doing it for in-game income. There are still idiotic PUGers at that level of progression though. And accidental Need clicks.

People very quickly learn what is in their best interests. The first time someone loses out on a large amount of AD is likely to be their last....
  • melias01melias01 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Think you are missing the big picture here. I don't see cryptic doing anything to affect their cash cow. You start making purple rare items bind on pickup it means less items on the auction hhouse and less people buying zen. Zen is what keeps this game going and future content development. Not saying bop is not a fair solution but do not see any change that affects the market. Consider the money they are seeing from people just buying all their gear for multiple alts.
  • caleastrocaleastro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't even like the fact it's bind on equip. This isn't in D&D and you must pay a fee to get it sized to your character to wear it taking a period of days I believe 2d6, which I feel strongly screen dice rolls need to be in for some things like enhancment combining. tasks etc. I want to see what I roll, not let it be hidden. I know this is a bit of a nerd moment, but I want to see my actual dice roll that isn't a hidden DM roll for a check.
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    1. Trash entire need/greed loot system
    2. Let each character have its own loot pull on drops
    3. Dont let anyone else see what each other pulls
    4. ???
    5. Profit.

99.9% of all loot based peeing and moaning disappears.
  • huckasevenhuckaseven Banned Users Posts: 470 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    4. ???
    5. Profit.

this
    seperated loot would solve so many problems, i dont know why modern games dont use that system anyway
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    4. ???
    5. Profit.

I would much prefer a system like this in place, and would imagine that it would please Cryptic/PWE as well since it would increase the amount of items going on the AH. It would likely force prices down as more items would be available, but the volume might make up for it.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• pednickpednick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ironic that YOU use the word crying which is exactly what you were just doing.
    masu84 wrote: »
    Hi again. Because of the stupidness of most users im restarting the old thread. hopefully the stupid people will not post their weird poor comments here...

Old situation:
    Everyone could roll need on everything. This way there were these "ninja looters", but the chance to get a very good item (even just for selling it) was 25% - for everyone!

Then most noobs started crying because a 25% chance was to low in their opinion. They cried that much that the developers changed the loot system in a very stupid way:

Since a few weeks only a TR is able to roll "need" on TR items. All in all this sounds great to most people, because most people seems to be unable to understand the issue of the actual system. Let me explain it:

A group is entering a dungeon. there is a small chance of getting an very good and expensive item for TR. A dagger. price: few millions AD. The TR is already wearing this dagger or got a better one. No other TR is in the group. Well, the dagger drops (unbelieveable) and everyone in the group just want to sell the dagger. Everyone is just able to roll "greed". The TR is able to roll need and got a 100% chance for getting the item.

Why should any class enter a dungeon which is providing the chance of a very expensive drop for another class?! Even if nobody really needs the item: there is one class which has a 100% chance to get the item.

Well, some people said: "other classes have a 100% chance to get their items!". Main problem: Some items (especially TR items) are very(!) expensive. Classes which got less expensive gear are getting less AD in lategame content. And: most dungeons have a chance to drop Item XY. A cleric in a dungeon without any chance for a good item? Why should the cleric waste his time for helping the others in getting rich?!

Ninja looting has just been changed. If the ninja looter got the correct class, he has a 100% chance to get the expensive item instead of 25%!

My solution:

i told it few weeks ago and ill say it again:

In case that NEED rolls are only available for a class depending to the item restrictions, all NEED rolls MUST result in BoP. Otherwise some classes getting huge advantige. In case of BoP for need rolls, only that players will roll need, which fit the class condition AND want to wear that item. All the people who just want to sell the item must use "GREED".

Well, i think there will be only one thing which is able to beat the stupidness of the current lootsystem:

The answers ill get from other users :x
    Be a Leet D00D, can't think of something smart? Always blame the economy.
  • flatfootsamflatfootsam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    4. ???
    5. Profit.

I like this idea. Would make the game much better and clear all that lame loot rolling from our screen! It is a friggen eye sore in mid combat!
    The lost Halflings~Code:NW-DC5DGPFJR
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    4. ???
    5. Profit.

I enjoy games that do this. The loot I see, is my loot.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • helldemon44helldemon44 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't know if this problem was raised yet as I didn't read through all the posts, but I think all Needed items show be BOP for the reasons stated by op, but I want to add, you should NOT be able to see what other people chose to roll until after everyone has picked. So basically when you pug, there will be some people who will roll Need on an item just because they already know some1 else has rolled need, even if they don't need it and it will become BOP just to grief or whatnot. Their idea is that, "well since that guy rolled need, I might as well roll need just to vendor it for gold, I mean that's better than nothing". I know that sounds ridiculous but im pretty sure there are people like this out there.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    4. ???
    5. Profit.

This. the Need/Greed system is a constant gripe here, in STO and in CO. You'd think they'd have learned by now that their players don't like it. Do away with it and give every player loot privately or do away with it and make a roll-based loot drop that players can Pass on, but only that. No need/greed, just Pass within 5 seconds or not (not even a Roll, just a Pass -- hit ESC like now to make the dialog go away or wait 5 secs for it to go away either way, you have your chance to pass if you want out otherwise you're in).

Either of these methods is fine, the second will prevent a 4-fold increase in epic loot hitting the AH because there will be 5 epic items (plus chests during DD) rather than only 1, which might be a problem, but would support either method even it the result is a massive crash in the value of Epic items (however, cryptic won't, since it would mean the value of AD would fall.......).

I talked myself out of it. Don't give loot to each player, keep the random roll for the single drop and give everyone loot only during DDs as it is now. But drop the Need/Greed system completely and let everyone have an equal chance at the loot drop or pass.

If you REALLY need some item, agree with the team ahead of time that if it's item X that drops, please pass or at least give it over because you want it to USE not to sell. A pug team won't trust you. I wouldn't. But if you do it during a DD with your guild, they'll trust you (if you have a good guild anyway) and they'll already be guaranteed some loot from the chest, plus if it's not the item you specified that you wanted to get, it's fair game. Use teamwork to get around this on the NEED side, but for the vast majority of runs (aka Pugs) make it perfectly fair (by the way, 5 man team = 20% chance not 25% chance... sorry, had to pick on the OP for a second :) ).
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Awesome, ima post this into the "top 20 things youd change about this game" thread as well, and encourage anyone else who supports individual looting to do the game. There are some games that have gone that route, and I dont hear any complaints about the loot system any more in each of those games. Some have been around longer than a decade.
  • demise03demise03 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I still haven't seen a single argument why BoE on GREED and BoP on NEED isn't the fairest system. This way anyone who needs to upgrade their gear can do so while every class has a fair chance on items that everyone wants to sell on the AH.....

All loot systems are flawed when you PUG. Even if they did change it to this, it's still mostly an honor system. Your average greedy tool would roll need anyway just to vendor said item for 1g60s instead of even allowing anyone else a chance at getting said item.. even if it was worth 2mil. "Hmm, guaranteed gold, or roll the dice and chance getting nothing?" /rolls need

CN. I'm guessing most people that run it are in the habit of rolling need since 3/4 of the bosses drop items that everyone can use. Most people I static group with roll need on the first 3 bosses, we don't even bother to check stats or read the name of the item since it's mostly AH loot anyway. Spam F for seals and pickups, roll need and move on. Then you join a PUG and are in that habit, sometimes you hit need on accident even if it was a roll greed only group.

General suggestion: Add a /d100 command so I can let the 4 other people roll on something if I accidentally hit need. No, that wouldn't stop random people from being greedy d-bags, but it would allow fair players to give the item to someone else if they hit the wrong button on accident.

Also, if they did change it to need = bop, they'd have to change it to be like wow where you can trade the item to the 4 other people that were in your group and rolled for the item within a certain amount of time before it binds. I still remember the master looter in raids giving the item to the wrong person on accident before they implemented that system. I'd hate to screw someone out of an item they were going to equip by hitting the wrong button.
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    4. ???
    5. Profit.

Same system Blizzard uses in World of Warcraft, Lfr. Now the only thing players have to complain about is how the rng gods suck. With that system your rolling against the computer not against other players. It's a good system that removed All complaints from players about Ninja looters, or people rolling need on Class specific gear when they didn't need it and only wanted it to sale on the Ah.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hi again. Because of the stupidness of most users im restarting the old thread. hopefully the stupid people will not post their weird poor comments here...

Old situation:
    Everyone could roll need on everything. This way there were these "ninja looters", but the chance to get a very good item (even just for selling it) was 25% - for everyone!

Then most noobs started crying because a 25% chance was to low in their opinion. They cried that much that the developers changed the loot system in a very stupid way:

Since a few weeks only a TR is able to roll "need" on TR items. All in all this sounds great to most people, because most people seems to be unable to understand the issue of the actual system. Let me explain it:

A group is entering a dungeon. there is a small chance of getting an very good and expensive item for TR. A dagger. price: few millions AD. The TR is already wearing this dagger or got a better one. No other TR is in the group. Well, the dagger drops (unbelieveable) and everyone in the group just want to sell the dagger. Everyone is just able to roll "greed". The TR is able to roll need and got a 100% chance for getting the item.

Why should any class enter a dungeon which is providing the chance of a very expensive drop for another class?! Even if nobody really needs the item: there is one class which has a 100% chance to get the item.

Well, some people said: "other classes have a 100% chance to get their items!". Main problem: Some items (especially TR items) are very(!) expensive. Classes which got less expensive gear are getting less AD in lategame content. And: most dungeons have a chance to drop Item XY. A cleric in a dungeon without any chance for a good item? Why should the cleric waste his time for helping the others in getting rich?!

Ninja looting has just been changed. If the ninja looter got the correct class, he has a 100% chance to get the expensive item instead of 25%!

My solution:

i told it few weeks ago and ill say it again:

In case that NEED rolls are only available for a class depending to the item restrictions, all NEED rolls MUST result in BoP. Otherwise some classes getting huge advantige. In case of BoP for need rolls, only that players will roll need, which fit the class condition AND want to wear that item. All the people who just want to sell the item must use "GREED".

Well, i think there will be only one thing which is able to beat the stupidness of the current lootsystem:

The answers ill get from other users :x

Not happening broseph , we like it that way . No way my cool set piece that I'll sell for 500k is going BoP rofl what are you smoking son ?
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Not happening broseph , we like it that way . No way my cool set piece that I'll sell for 500k is going BoP rofl what are you smoking son ?

D@mn Straight!!
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • grifterecgrifterec Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 82
    edited July 2013
    the chance to get a very good item (even just for selling it) was 25% - for everyone!

You are exceptionally bad at the maths
  • yokanaanyokanaan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    If you want a 100% roll you can make dungeons solo. Not epic versions but still - free seals and blue loot just for you.
    Usually when entering dungeons I find some blue stuff in chests as well but 1 drop per boss is quite poor. And you always know what he will drop - it's all written with no rare exceptions.
  • masu84masu84 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

My solution:

Need = Bind on Pickup
    Greed = Bind on Equip

This way your cool set item is only BoP if you roll need. If you want to sell it: roll greed like all the others.

Its allways nice to see people which are using a full quote of a posting which they didnt read or even understand.
    No leaver penality in PvP!

And here is the reason:
    ghostravyn wrote: »
    If you want people to stay for the match end even when you're sitting on a 600-10 score and you've decided to be ***-hats and spawn-camp, you need to give them a reason. Punishing them is not the answer. That's just pouring salt-acid into an already bleeding wound.
    edited July 2013
    My solution:

Need = Bind on Pickup
    Greed = Bind on Equip

This seems like such a simple solution that I am surprised that there is any disagreement, as otherwise you will not get certain classes for dungeons that do not drop their best gear. They will only run dungeons with guildies as they know their party members will Greed items when they already have something as good or better.

For everyone else:

Need a DC? Oh sorry, the dungeon doesn't drop anything they need and as they will never win any of the really profitable AH purples that drop, they won't bother.

Need a CW or even better two of them? Oh sorry, the dungeon doesn't drop anything they need and if they can't never win any of the really profitable AH purples that drop, they won't bother either...

Would a GF be useful? Oh sorry, the dungeon doesn't drop anything they need and as they will never win any of the really profitable AH purples that drop, they won't bother either...

Need a TR? Actually as there are so many TRs that you will always get one. Decent ones won't bother though if the dungeon doesn't drop anything they need as they will never win any of the really profitable AH purples...

Need a GWF? Um, why would you need a GWF - get another CW instead. But then see above...
  • xanquilxanquil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited July 2013
    4. ???
    5. Profit.

I'm behind this 100%.
    N/G/P is a bad system and needs to go away.
  • silveralucardsilveralucard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 410 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    BoP for need i do agree +1 in that way the ones that really need an item because they will use them will select need but for selling should all select greed :D
    Everything works out in the end . If it hasn't worked out yet, it isn't the end...
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I don't see many folks that played D&D on this here thread.

We used to roll against each other to get loot back in the day...unless the loot was plate for fighter, robes for mage...etc etc.

Kind of like it is NOW.

Sounds like people are getting greedy and they want a chance to roll for all gear regardless of class....ummm NO.

You have a 100% chance to win a piece of class specific gear. Better than 20% with the original system.
  • lejdglejdg Member Posts: 79
    edited July 2013
    well, with people you know who are not scum, and the TR will also greed on it.

the system is a lot better now than it was.