test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Penalty for leaving an active PvP game

Comments

• yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    kroniker wrote: »

And actually PvP is easy to gear with, got 5 out of 6 PvP pieces on one day despite the many losses.

Yes you are correct, it is easy to get pvp gear in this game. The grind is virtually non-existent compared to other mmos like WoW /Tera/Rift for example. I am always glory capped before hitting 60 in NW, and can buy the full set as soon as I ding level cap. In other words, a leavers penalty is not something that is going to make getting gear unduly hard. In fact, you would probably have to sit through more drubbings in other mmos to get competitive pvp gear than in this game.

I think it is amusing that usually the only part of your posts in this thread that are not vitriol or hyperbole are the parts which prove how needed a leavers penalty is.
  • erdokanerdokan Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    yasha00 wrote: »
    Yes you are correct, it is easy to get pvp gear in this game. The grind is virtually non-existent compared to other mmos like WoW /Tera/Rift for example. I am always glory capped before hitting 60 in NW, and can buy the full set as soon as I ding level cap. In other words, a leavers penalty is not something that is going to make getting gear unduly hard. In fact, you would probably have to sit through more drubbings in other mmos to get competitive pvp gear than in this game.

I think it is amusing that usually the only part of your posts in this thread that are not vitriol or hyperbole are the parts which prove how needed a leavers penalty is.

It is very amusing indeed!
    David Valtiere, Lvl 70 TR with perfect Lvl 60 gear which I don't want to replace cause nostalgia yo ;_;
  • manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    And why do you support mechanics which mostly harm those who are just badly geared and desperatly try to catch up to those? You support a system which harms those most who are most vulnerable: the one fresh to PvP and this is idiotic. You are just another wannabe elitist jerk who thinks far too highly of himself and looks down on people who are simply badly geared or very inexperienced.

I don't want to punish the undergeared at all, but your comment regarding the inexperienced just supports our main point methinks.

How else are you going to become experienced than by playing? Quitting doesn't lend itself to becoming experienced. I learn far more from an a$$-whupping than I do from a roflstomp match.
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    manholio wrote: »
    I don't want to punish the undergeared at all, but your comment regarding the inexperienced just supports our main point methinks.

How else are you going to become experienced than by playing? Quitting doesn't lend itself to becoming experienced. I learn far more from an a$$-whupping than I do from a roflstomp match.

The only thing you learn from 3 people focus firing you down in a cc chain is to focus people down in a cc chain.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
    edited July 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    The only thing you learn from 3 people focus firing you down in a cc chain is to focus people down in a cc chain.

Yeah, It's not like learning how to operate as a team is valuable in a team game or anything. :cool:
  • shajib1234shajib1234 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The reason why people leave is because the glory gain for loosing a match has been nerfed so heavily, that there is absolutely no reason to stay and waste your time inside a pvp match if your side is loosing.

You have fun when you win or if its a good close match where either side can win. For those outright loosing matches, its more sensible to just leave and try again.
  • astariadodfastariadodf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes the leaving has to stop. The patch notes stated that it was, but it wasnt, so that tells me that its not working as intended.

The issue of the perma stealth rogue is that and using leave as a means is bad because it is HIGHLY likely that you are not even confirming it is a true perma stealth rogue.

Rogues have a distinct 3 section stealth function that each step has a clue as to give its stealth away. That and the fact that if you damage them they cant stealth any more (aoe is your friend in this case). THESE ROGUES ARE NOT THE PERMA STEALTHS!!!!!

Perma stealth are using that tool that shall not be named to allow them to stay in stage one of stealth - being able to hit the stealth button at will.

So sorry, but your method for just quitting will not work, because those are pretty few and far between, and what you are doing hurts the other players as much if not more.
    edited July 2013
    shajib1234 wrote: »
    The reason why people leave is because the glory gain for loosing a match has been nerfed so heavily, that there is absolutely no reason to stay and waste your time inside a pvp match if your side is loosing.

You have fun when you win or if its a good close match where either side can win. For those outright loosing matches, its more sensible to just leave and try again.

The 1980 U.S. Mens Olympic Hockey team would like a word...

I know the sports analogy is cheesy and somewhat fallacious, but I just don't have it in me to quit. It is the most heinous of all 4 letter words.
  • olcsonnolcsonn Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There has not been a single argument for allowing people to just leave a game and screw over their other players, they also need to implement a system to at the very least make it harder for bots, and allow other players to report AFKers. If you are not willing to lose a PvP match then stay the hell out of PvP and stop ruining the game for others because you are a self-center weakling. L2P, part of that means learning to deal with defeat.

These people that try to make an intelligent argument for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over their fellow players do nothing but show why they seem to be losing matches. You play through the defeats because it makes you better at PvP, as you get better at PvP you will start losing less. But those that are unwilling to deal with defeat and better themselves are just pathetic waste of space and should leave MMOs all together.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i should be able to leave a pub pvp game if:

there are bots or afks on my team.
    anyone drops thus leaving the playing field uneven.
    i damned feel like it.

why it would be impossible to penalize players for this:

the proposed mechanic may not be able to discern between whether a player is voluntarily or involuntarily disconnected from the internet.
    situations beyond the player's control such as afk/bot/drop situations which largely limit an individual from having any kind of shot at winning the match.
    real life situations/emergencies.

the best way to pvp is within your guild or with a group of friends.
    edited July 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i should be able to leave a pub pvp game if:

there are bots or afks on my team.
    anyone drops thus leaving the playing field uneven.
    i damned feel like it.

why it would be impossible to penalize players for this:

the proposed mechanic may not be able to discern between whether a player is voluntarily or involuntarily disconnected from the internet.
    situations beyond the player's control such as afk/bot/drop situations which largely limit an individual from having any kind of shot at winning the match.
    real life situations/emergencies.

the best way to pvp is within your guild or with a group of friends.

It's all possible, almost every large MMO with PvP does this. They almost always are able to tell the difference between leaving and being DCed. Mainly because all of the buttons you push are recorded and if the connection fails then they know that too. Bots are easy to detect if they just got off their lazy butts to put in the codes needed to detect 3rd party programs, again lots of games have that. AFKers are easy to deal with too, allow players to report them and if they don't change their movements/actions then they get kicked out and they are replaced with a player waiting in queue. Bots, leavers, AFKers are all easy to combat, AND NO you should not be allowed to screw over your fellow players without a consequence of some sort. If you have an emergency or something along those lines then eat the penalty and move on. Most "Coward"/"Leaver"/"Quieter" penalties only last a few hours in other games.
  • sinsilicioussinsilicious Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Once pvp was fun...now with the overpowerd GWF and guys who leave in the middle of the domination it sucks. I almost think that there are guys who queue (friends from the other party) and then leave so one party have 4 left...Make something that automatic set 5 different classes in a queue..so then it is balanced
    edited July 2013
    Once pvp was fun...now with the overpowerd GWF and guys who leave in the middle of the domination it sucks. I almost think that there are guys who queue (friends from the other party) and then leave so one party have 4 left...Make something that automatic set 5 different classes in a queue..so then it is balanced

There is currently no way of setting that up. GWFs are in my opinion (main being a rogue) are the toughest class to beat in the game, but they are not OP. I have killed many of them 1v1 throughout my leveling and sense I've been 60. They are just tricky and you have to learn their mechanics a bit, but the same can be said for GF, CW, and DC...

Leavers, AFKers, and Bots are the biggest problems with PvP at this moment.
  • delaardelaar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Just my 2 cents on this. A Ranking system would most likely work most of these problems out. The matches would eventually become more balanced, reguardless of GS, which would mean more fun. People would be less likely to leave then. The bots, leavers and the AFKers would end up in the bottom ranks. Everyone else that enjoys PvP would end up in higher ranked matches. Is this a perfect solution, probably not. Putting in a pre-made group que for the guilds and groups of friends may help also.

I am neither for nor against a penalty. I have stayed in some bad beatings, and i have left some. IMO when you get in against a group of T2 geared (pre-made or not), and they stomp your whole team and take all three before you can take one there is no point in staying. You will not learn anything from a match like this. Even if you do stay, you jump off spawn and your dead before you reach the first person. I leave these. They are no fun what so ever. So until you get some sort of balance to the teams you will have leavers whether there is a penalty or not.

IMO if you add a penalty for leaving you will see alot more Bots, just to get their dailies done.
    Just my 2 cents.
  • llilvayallilvaya Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If my team members insist on fighting off the points just allowing the other team to cap points...why the hell should I stay in PVP with people who don't understand the point. There is also the bot problem...which is getting worse day by day. Is there any word on when or if this will be fixed?
  • g0ld3n4c3g0ld3n4c3 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So you want a punishing system for leavers? try pvping with 2 bots in your team or 3 even. Even if they put a punishing system for leavers, the pvp will be as good as dead man on the road.

The pvp is already useless and you want a punishing system?

Who ever agrees with the OP needs to learn how people think about a fair fight, not just non sense faceroll and botting matches.
  • kronikerkroniker Member Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013

You don't learn anything by getting farmed at the GY. You do not learn anything when half your team left or consists of bots. There is nothing to be learned from getting trashed. To learn anything you need some sort of feedback without it you can try a 100 times but you won't improve.
    At best you learn "patience" but for that I do not need Neverwinter, my military services taught me enough about that.
    Yeah, It's not like learning how to operate as a team is valuable in a team game or anything. :cool:

To be able to operate as a team you need proper communications.
    Given the speed of this game it is nigh impossible to do much more than typing "help" or "1","2" or "3" and hope the people get it that you mean that those nodes are being captured by the enemy.
    Also to form a proper team you need to play with the same people a substantial amount of time. Otherwise you can only hope for luck and undergeared opponents for a sure win.
    yasha00 wrote: »

Some just want to hit 60 asap. Doing PvP pre 60 also gives you a false sense of how PvP plays out at 60. The only amusing part here is that you and your boot lickers are so **** blind why a leavers penalty under the current system is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and all the while showing your incompetence in terms of analyzing and comprehension of human nature whichis pretty typical for elitist jerks like you.
  • selvockselvock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't mind most of your situations, Erdokan, but in all seriousness, when I've been beaten so soundly even my grandkids are going to have bruises and I'm going to get zero rewards (you do know that it is possible for me to sit there getting pounded for 15 minutes and still get no rewards at all, yes??) for the match, can you tell me what my incentive is to continue to fight? Would you prefer that I hide up in my spawn spot until the game ends?

I can't answer for others, but there's no real reason for me to sit in-game just to inflate your ego. And I'm not talking 1000-500 games here - I'm talking about the 1000-46 games because PW hasn't figured out how to handle their bot issue.

For right now, until they get a decent PVP arena, this is not the solution that I want to see. Sorry.
    Given the speed of this game it is nigh impossible to do much more than typing "help" or "1","2" or "3" and hope the people get it that you mean that those nodes are being captured by the enemy.
    Also to form a proper team you need to play with the same people a substantial amount of time. Otherwise you can only hope for luck and undergeared opponents for a sure win.
    It is an international game and I have played with non-English-speaking persons, but V is your push-to-talk button, and if you really need speed you can turn chat on perma. I'm just saying.
  • yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    g0ld3n4c3 wrote: »
    So you want a punishing system for leavers? try pvping with 2 bots in your team or 3 even. Even if they put a punishing system for leavers, the pvp will be as good as dead man on the road.

The pvp is already useless and you want a punishing system?

Who ever agrees with the OP needs to learn how people think about a fair fight, not just non sense faceroll and botting matches.

I don't want a punishing system, I want a system that protects people who want to play the game and not be left in the middle of a game for no real reason at all. If players only left when they were on a team with four bots or afkers then there would be no problem. However, players end up leaving for any old reason, thereby adding yet another hurdle to actually having a decent game of pvp.

A leavers debuff is the standard way other mmos try to protect people that actually want to play from scumbag leavers. It is not in any way unreasonable to ask that if you sign up for a game you at least see it through to the end or sit out of the pvp queue for 30 mins.
  • derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    A penalty for leaving will just create more issues instead of fixing any.
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
    edited July 2013
    A penalty for leaving will just create more issues instead of fixing any.

Exactly this but your words will fall on deaf ears.
    edited July 2013
    delaar wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents on this. A Ranking system would most likely work most of these problems out. The matches would eventually become more balanced, reguardless of GS, which would mean more fun. People would be less likely to leave then. The bots, leavers and the AFKers would end up in the bottom ranks. Everyone else that enjoys PvP would end up in higher ranked matches. Is this a perfect solution, probably not. Putting in a pre-made group que for the guilds and groups of friends may help also.

This of course is a good idea and I wish more mmos used an ELO system. It is a common system in MOBA games but note that they also have a leavers penalty and actively encourage reporting of leavers/afkers. In other words, even with games that have adopted systems to make games more even, and thus reduce the actual reasons for leaving, active players still need to be protected from the jerks who just leave for no real reason, or even who do it maliciously.

It is therefore all the more important in NW, which doesn't have a ELO system, to have a robust defence against people leaving active games. In fact thinking about it logically it seems like an oversight- reducing glory for the losing team logically has to be coupled with a way to deter leaving since there is less incentive to stay if your team falls behind. Although it seems ridiculous to me that there was no deserters debuff from the start considering this lesson has been learned in many other games in the past.
  • jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have 2 things to say on the matter.

1. I was in a pvp team where everyone left but me. I stayed and got nothing. No PVP Tokens of any amount and I did have a reasonable score in the game considering.

2. Sometimes the game crashes and Disconnects the Player when Entering the Arena. Then when in the Arena after logging back in you get booted 5 seconds later for being inactive. I did try to log into another match and was booted form that as well?????

I am Penalised in the first instance for staying (and what wasting the other teams time????) and in the second instance why should I be booted after being disconnected.

The PVP in the game is just a rush Job and it is basically there to tick all the boxes atm.

As far as the DEVS go they do not want to penalise peeps for playing their game and Rage Quit etc...

Peeps play games for fun. They do not play to be pushed around, penalised, picked on or abused.

The answer I think my friends is just too Auto Fill from the queue and give them Bonus Tokens for being unfortunate enough, to probable be on a side that is going to loose.
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • erdokanerdokan Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    selvock wrote: »
    I don't mind most of your situations, Erdokan, but in all seriousness, when I've been beaten so soundly even my grandkids are going to have bruises and I'm going to get zero rewards (you do know that it is possible for me to sit there getting pounded for 15 minutes and still get no rewards at all, yes??) for the match, can you tell me what my incentive is to continue to fight? Would you prefer that I hide up in my spawn spot until the game ends?

I can't answer for others, but there's no real reason for me to sit in-game just to inflate your ego. And I'm not talking 1000-500 games here - I'm talking about the 1000-46 games because PW hasn't figured out how to handle their bot issue.

For right now, until they get a decent PVP arena, this is not the solution that I want to see. Sorry.

It is an international game and I have played with non-English-speaking persons, but V is your push-to-talk button, and if you really need speed you can turn chat on perma. I'm just saying.

Grandkids? Well...They do say that your reflexes deter as you grow older, and it just so happens that having good reflexes = a big part of being good at PvP!

The incentive for you to play is to learn from your errors. As long as there are 5 people on your team then you can atleast put up a fight. Make some kind of gameplan based on the classes that you have in your team (example: 2 rogues go backcap, rest of us def our zone, 1 person contest mid when needed). If people don't understand what this means then explain it to them. If they're not completely <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> then they'll atleast know what to do in the future - perhaps the next time you're on their team again.

In a PUG game I often ask a rogue to backcap when I feel that the opponent has the upper hand. It usually pays off - why? Because the role of backcapping suits a TR. Every class has their strengths and weaknesses in PvP, you just gotta know what they are I guess. Knowledge is power - analyze matches, analyze your own performance, and learn about the strengths and weaknesses of all classes and make decisions based on that knowledge.
    David Valtiere, Lvl 70 TR with perfect Lvl 60 gear which I don't want to replace cause nostalgia yo ;_;
    edited July 2013
    Nonsense, you cannot learn anything from getting camped at the GY. It's just blatantly obviously then that the enemy either outgears you by leaps and bounds or you had too many bots/afkers/leavers or both simple as that. You cannot improve anything when you get trashed since so many factors are stacked against you that your influence you could possibly have on the game is next to nothing regardless of your skill which ultimately does not influence the game that much anyway because this game is more about gear than anything.
    It's so obvious that quite often one can tell in the first 20-60 seconds who will most likely win the game and there is barely anything you can do about.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    If you're playing with guildies or some other premade team then yeah perhaps there is something to be learned and you can put up a fight. But in most random pickup groups you have people that don't even bothering to learn the basics and when are told they keep doing whatever they want anyway such as fighting 20 feet off the cap. At that point I'm not going to waste my time for a hopeless cause and will just sit at GY while I go get a drink or whatever and hope the next team I get has a clue. I get that not everyone is a PvP expert.. I certainly am not. But I'm willing to work with others if they have suggestions or whatever since obviously winning a match is much better than not.
    edited July 2013
    Nonsense, you cannot learn anything from getting camped at the GY. It's just blatantly obviously then that the enemy either outgears you by leaps and bounds or you had too many bots/afkers/leavers or both simple as that. You cannot improve anything when you get trashed since so many factors are stacked against you that your influence you could possibly have on the game is next to nothing regardless of your skill which ultimately does not influence the game that much anyway because this game is more about gear than anything.
    It's so obvious that quite often one can tell in the first 20-60 seconds who will most likely win the game and there is barely anything you can do about.

You could say the same thing for pretty much any mmo, and its often worse. Most other mmos/moba still have a leavers penalty though because the game is hardly functional without it. As a result, while NW has as you say "too many bots/afkers/leavers", mmos with a leavers penalty effectively cut out 1/3rd of the problem (leavers).

We are sick of being trolled by real players who choose to leave for any little reason. You even have whole teams dropping out- obviously not a team of bots right? The culture of the pvp game has degenerated and its largely because the game almost encourages you to leave; as many others have said, and I agree with, at the moment the right/logical choice is to leave, its pathetic.
  • killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I've been adding this up for awhile now. 3.5/5 matches are unbalanced player wise on average. I have had days where I've been in 5 straight games that are 5v4 or whatever. The PvP in this game is already super broken and this just makes it feel impossible to enjoy PvP at all.
    Killz2Many ~ Greatest Weapon Fighter ~ Dragon Shard
    game-of-thrones-dani-burn-deal-with-it.gif
  • detectivenickdetectivenick Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There definitely should be a penalty for identified bots and people who ragequit. It ruins the match for everyone else.

The initially ideal solution is to use ratings. The higher your ratings the better your rewards and AD payout for pvp participation. The lower your rating the lower the rewards. And if you ragequit or are ID'd as a bot, then your rating takes a huge hit.

The problem with ratings is there isn't a good automated measurement of how good someone is in PvP. For example, the scoring system isn't necessarily reflective of who is making a difference. My CW debuffs opp retardedly like 50% so other people can kill them instantly. Yet I get sucky scores cause other people always do the killing. You could do ratings based off wins/loses, but again, you could be awesome in PvP, but lose every match you play if one idiot on your team ragequits.

Then there are the people who quit because someone else on their team already quit or there is an afk bot on their team. If a penalty is instituted you need to ensure it's only being applied to the initial idiots and not the people quitting solely because their team is full of bots or everyone else already quit.
  • nukeyoonukeyoo Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Funny-GIF-How-I-leave-work-every-Friday.gif