Install Arc
Options

Thx for allowing the bots to ruin PvP

Comments

• Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    glohkamp wrote: »
    Lol, are you honestly going to tell me that you read the whole TOS on every game you've played? Because I think you'll lose all credibility if you do.

I'm not saying you can make a fool proof system, but I am saying that going live while you have a botting problem that has been going on since at least open beta started.. is unacceptable, delay going live at least. I mean, it would be one thing if they had cleansed the test servers of bots, went live and somebody found a new way around. But we are talking about the same exploits that have been happening for some time, now.

Maybe you should do less twitching, and more reading and then you won't have questions but answers.

You say you are a programmer. You are in the industry. You don't need to read the ToS to know what it contains. Of course I have read the ToS because I moderate the forums!

However, read this line twice, maybe even another for verification. I do not need to read a game's ToS to know what is right and what is wrong.

Play the game the way it was intended to be played, report those who do not. End of discussion.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    zaodunzaodun Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2013
    There's no simple solutions to bots.

That is patently false. Even a simple "capcha" would work.

Its just that no mmo company wants to implement the simple solutions for ... whatever various reasons.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    zaodun wrote: »
    That is patently false. Even a simple "capcha" would work.

Its just that no mmo company wants to implement the simple solutions for ... whatever various reasons.

Captcha's are, according to various sources, easily overcome.

On top of that captcha's tick off everybody. Nobody wants to see a captcha every time they go into a dungeon and what-not. As I said, the more you guys can see efforts against bots the more intrusive it gets into your gameplay.
  • Options
    darkshellknightdarkshellknight Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Captcha's are, according to various sources, easily overcome.

On top of that captcha's tick off everybody. Nobody wants to see a captcha every time to go into a dungeon and what-not. As I said, the more you guys can see efforts against bots the more intrusive it gets into your gameplay.
    make open world pvp then bots are just about gone cnat bot if ur dead right right
  • Options
    henzaihenzai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 154
    edited July 2013
    make open world pvp then bots are just about gone cnat bot if ur dead right right

As cool as that'd be that could become a problem for non PvPers though... having to watch us run around everywhere. Plus it wouldn't be fun for me if only certain PvP flagged players could get damaged, and it wouldn't be fun for the other players if they could, so i think it isn't that great an idea, unless you wanna write a new thread on the subject and flesh it out a little?
  • Options
    vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This game as a lot of bots because of two reasons:

1) Its F2P (Bots can have multiple accounts for free).
    2) Everything in this game (PvP, PvE, etc) is built around F2P - Zen Market (Bots can farm every aspect of the game).

So, there are two ways to significantly reduce the bots in this game: Go P2P or modify the Zen market - Economy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • Options
    pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Try PvPing at level 60. I couldn't care less about bots at level 60 because they are **** near non-existent.
    WOW.
    WOW.....
    HOLY FREAKING WOW

Ambi, you just blew my mind with how thick the blinders over your eyes are.

None of my friends were online last night, and I didn't feel like leveling another toon towards 60, so I decided to pvp last night. Guess how many -different- bots I encountered in level 60 matches in 2 hours of full PuG PVP? Zero. NO. NOT REALLY. I encountered 17 different bots EXACTLY. That's not a typo. That is a 1, followed by a 7. Seventeen separate bots with different @handles that could not be mistaken as anything other than bots with their set movement patterns, very obvious attack codes (Such as spamming their at wills. Never dodging. Always following enemies in a smooth turning arc that a human simply cannot pull off with a mouse consistently).

I've seen you say some ridiculous things, but this takes the cake. What server are you playing on? The cryptic private office test server? The player test realm? The server that resides in your dreams? Because you are clearly not playing on mindflayer where I suspect the bulk of the population is.

Seriously Ambi, you need to take a day, just rest. Wash your eyes out, let the cryptic koolaid run from your veins, and come back to share your opinion when you can be objective, because saying bots "**** near don't exist at 60" is 100% ignorant. I say that in the least possible insulting way after reading all the mind blowing...things... that you have posted in the past day within this thread.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    I play on mindflayer.

I have seen about 10 bots after level 60.

Take it or leave it. I know what I see. I can tell most bots when I see a bot.
    Leavers? Yes. Rage Quits? Yes. Hell compared to those two I would be happy with bots.

But bots are a rarity after level 60. :)
  • Options
    theviking2006theviking2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 817 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    I play on mindflayer.

Leavers? Yes. Rage Quits? Yes. Hell compared to those two I would be happy with bots.

But bots are a rarity. :)

This completely. People who are still at their computers just dicking around being pseudo afk and not participating are not bots. Bots are run by programs.
  • Options
    phaazenphaazen Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    how about captcha's that reward with AD? (100)

it pisses players off less that way if they get rewarded.

give them a cartoon-esque dragon/beholder to say good job after it too.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    phaazen wrote: »
    how about captcha's that reward with AD? (100)

it pisses players off less that way if they get rewarded.

give them a cartoon-esque dragon/beholder to say good job after it too.

That's the problem of this game and the reason why there are so many bots; they give AD in every aspect of the game; if your suggestion would be implemented that would attract more bots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    whyismyplantdyinwhyismyplantdyin Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Pvp can be fixed so easily. A few have been suggested a million times. Ranking, preventing people from selling the pvp gear, removing exp rewards from pvp, removing AD daily pvp.

Just eliminate all profit from pvp. Or make an option to pvp without any gains.

Eliminate 99% of bots/AFKers: give people more power to make their own party. Queue is cute, but horrible. It's obscure and drains players away from actual parties. Only way I can find a premade party is by running with a guild (I am not in a guild, but guild parties sometimes need a specific class). DDO did everything wrong, but they had the best system for party forming ever. Copy that and this issue is fixed.

Eliminating PvP problems: Allow people to make their own matches. I mean, you already allow people to form powerful premade parties and randomly stick 2 clerics in one party and 2 CW's in another (hint hint, never a good match). Guilds can pvp other guilds and have fun, and if you want to avoid bots you have a simple choice. Right now you are screwed. Only way to pvp right now is to deal with bots, overgeared chars and undergeared chars. I mean, this just shows how very little was thought about pvp in this game. Like at one point when it was already practically done someone stormed in the office with an analysis and said "Guys, we HAVE to add PvP because at this rate we will be going live with a massive shortage of bots, cheaters and munchkins in the population".

Eliminating 99% of spammers: Level requirement for shouting/zone talk. Yes they will spam in say, but it will be a heck of alot less annoying. It's mildly annoying to new players. And please explain it to them. People who do not cheat/spam/act like general <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> at the expense of others might not always see how this connects. Simply stating "Can't talk in zone until level 10" sounds really annoying and frustrating. Explaining that this is to make it easier to manage spamming so that people who just want to make an account for advertising have to level up is will recieve far more understanding to a player new to this game or even MMO's.

And even more ranting:
    Why is it always "hard" when a game company has to fix something, but never when a community has to? PvP servers in NWN were always balanced. Some servers went the wrong route, and people switched servers and played another server and it was good again for a year or so. For Bioware fixing spells was impossible, but every decent server fixed IGMS, Bigby's and all that other messed up stuff.

This is not rocket science, I get the feeling the Mods actually agree but can't say so. Instead they try to appeal with "it's not that bad, I haven't seen alot" while also showing through their posts that they are clearly not happy with the state of pvp.

We also aren't talking about server hacking or incredibly complicated cheating. One poster said inventory, cooldowns and daily's were client side. So I can basicly boot up a hex editor, search for the offsets and get no cooldowns and daily's without AP? And infinite duping? That's just really, really bad design and if you are a programmer in the gaming industry then it's impossible you cannot see the issue with this while I can. Actually, if you can't then that would be a perfect explanation for the reason that most MMO's have cheaters. If online gambling doesn't have any issues with people changing their cards then no MMO should have problems with people modifying damage, hp, stats, exp or whatever else.

Bots can't be fixed. It's impossible. You can simulate every action and there's nothing the game can do about it except send a moderator to every person's home to make sure they are the actual person playing. Bots are not even "fixed" in online Poker. They're extremely rare at the popular sites, but that's only because of the massive amount of resources available to poker sites. Even some decent sized poker rooms have massive botting issues. That should give you a hint that fixing it with software changes is impossible. It's so bad that a certain poker room actually sent a representative to someone's house in order to see how he was playing a massive amount of tables a massive amount of hours per day to make sure he was not botting. THAT is how impossible botting is to fix or detect. This is one of the sites with virtually no bots, so this is the length you have to be willing to go to almost eliminate them. And poker sites have all your information. They can ban you and you can never sign up for real money again unless you have all the data from a friend or family member, though that's fraud and on a whole different level then making a new account in a free MMO.

You can't police the whole game, that's possible in NWN servers with 60 people on at a time max, but not here. You just have to discourage and annoy them enough that virtually nobody wants to bother anymore, the fact that hitting level cap is easy already makes it much less encouraging to bot. I also think that eventually the botting will be less of a problem, the game is new now and plenty of botters want to farm for their gear.
  • Options
    pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I play on mindflayer.

But bots are a rarity after level 60. :)
    Okay.

Team with me sometime. Maybe wednesday bnight since I will not be on tuesday. Just me and you for an hour or so of PUG pvp. I am more than happy to put your statement to the test with you right at my side. An hour is all I should really need to show you probably ten new bots ( maybe even the now level 60 GF bot that I happened to "level with" through all the brackets.. reported well over three weeks ago and still botting away at 60 cause I saw him too, not included in the 17)
    @pizzamurai

If your entire experience is based upon you having a five man pvp team at all times, obviously your numbers are going to drop since that is four extras that won't get into your game. But ten total at 60. No, that is far too low for me to honestly believe unless you play 1-2 matches a night at most. Or you have simply been getting the same exact ten bots for over a.month now. I would believe that also. Full pug PVP and not having one bot is the rarity. Judging by all the threads anf losts, my experience is in the majority.

If you are running with a premade, yes, most people ( including myself) will just give up when it is clear their pug is not going to win. But next time you pvp... watch those people that keep jumping off the ledge to fight you. Watch exactly where they jump off. Watch how quickly they can turn to spam at wills at you. How they never dodge. How they will NEVER chase you if you leave their predetermined range... but ALWAYS chase you if you are within it.
    Those are not bad players, they are bots.
  • Options
    jeepinjeepin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Pardon my naivety when it comes to bots, but from what I've seen, all the bots that I've encountered were easy kills. I would stay in the center, wait for them to make their same path, and destroy them over and over and over.)
  • Options
    whyismyplantdyinwhyismyplantdyin Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They ruin all the fun of pvp. For some people having a 5v5 pug pvp is about having fun. A broken queue system along with a ton of bots simply ruins a large part of it. Even if you are running a premade, what's the fun in fighting 1 bot and 4 undergeared chars? You have zero control over who to fight.
  • Options
    henzaihenzai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 154
    edited July 2013
    pizzamurai wrote: »
    Okay.

Team with me sometime. Maybe wednesday night since I will not be on tuesday. Just me and you for an hour or so of PUG pvp. I am more than happy to put your statement to the test with you right at my side. An hour is all I should really need to show you probably ten new bots ( maybe even the now level 60 GF bot that I happened to "level with" through all the brackets.. reported well over three weeks ago and still botting away at 60 cause I saw him too, not included in the 17)
    @pizzamurai

If your entire experience is based upon you having a five man pvp team at all times, obviously your numbers are going to drop since that is four extras that won't get into your game. But ten total at 60. No, that is far too low for me to honestly believe unless you play 1-2 matches a night at most.

If you are running with a premade, yes, most people ( including myself) will just give up when it is clear their pug is not going to win. But next time you pvp... watch those people that keep jumping off the ledge to fight you. Watch exactly where they jump off. Watch how quickly they can turn to spam at wills at you. How they never dodge. How they will NEVER chase you if you leave their predetermined range... but ALWAYS chase you if you are within it.
    Those are not bad players, they are bots.

If nothing else i might just take you up on that offer one of these days if it stands for me as well?
  • Options
    justkazjustkaz Member Posts: 67
    edited July 2013
    Bots are getting worse in this game. They bot nodes and bot PvP all day, everyday. Cryptic doesn't seem very interested in stopping them either. I'm not sure they can stop the bots, even if they put in some effort.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    henzai wrote: »
    If nothing else i might just take you up on that offer one of these days if it stands for me as well?

Sure why not =P
  • Options
    rowdyburnsrowdyburns Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You guys HAVE to do something about the BOTS in PVP. This totally sucks and makes the game not worth playing. Also, there needs to be a function that lets someone join a pvp match after somebody leaves. I'm sick and tired of losing matches because somebody quits and it ends up being 4 vs 5 or worse. Come on Cryptic get on the ball.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Believe me, I hate them as much as you...but honestly. Did you even look before posting? There is literally a thread right below this about this very topic.

Edit: speak of the devil :P
  • Options
    itscaditscad Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    1. Make PvP gear Bind on Pickup
    2. Make PvP gear non-vendorable.

Easy!
  • Options
    kryndorkryndor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well if they would allow kicking of people in PvP, i can understand disabling it in the PvE side so people can't get screwed on the end boss, but PvP? Allow kicking of people in PvP only. As it is now queues are starting to take to long. People are beginning to leave in masses because of the bots and because cryptic wants to work on stuff that the customers don't want instead of doing what the customers do want. We still have no end game but hey, we will have a new area to explore....LOL i have not completed most of the end quests because i hit 60 before even completing the quest line. You would think that after all the *** chewing they have received on all of their games that they would stop putting their heads up their asses.
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    They should just make a sticky for a thread like this. And all the other major faults with the game it would clear up the forum like 80-90%. But the then LOL the Sticky's would be 2-3 pages long with all the pissed off sticky's
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    They just have to remove what the bots are farming from PvP!, and give the players a non-profitable but good reason to do PvP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    The AH economy on the glory PVP items is taking a toll from all the level 60 bots farming glory I think.

Reported many over a week ago, still see them in game constantly. I would say at least 1 bot per 3 games I play, usually more.

PVP items went from around 20-25k for boots down to under 10k lately..
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    PvP gear will naturally decrease in value.

While bots are certainly playing a role in that it's a wider spread issue. There's basically only one T2 set for any class worth anything big anymore. The rest have dwindled down to nothing.

As I keep saying in other threads, the end game economy is a ticking time bomb. I love the game but the number of drops coming into the game far surpasses the need for the drops so the prices will fall until some changes are made.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    As I keep saying in other threads, the end game economy is a ticking time bomb. I love the game but the number of drops coming into the game far surpasses the need for the drops so the prices will fall until some changes are made.

Stay on topic please ;)

I can see a lot of angry players here, there's like, almost 4 returning posters or so? (I can be wrong, it's just a guess) and all tend to know more about releasing Neverwinter than the devs. From my own experiences with bots in PvP they aren't such a huge problem in "endgame" PvP but i'll see if pizzamurai will change my opinion on that. What I do know though is that there's a load of BOTS before that, and that is a problem. Unfortunately the only way to stop bots is to take away the rewards from PvP and I really wouldn't like that, because it feels good to get something for my effort at times ^_^ b

the problem is in the matchmaking if you ask me, and by going over the matchmaking algorithm (fancy word warning!) there might be possible to get the bots to run together. It might even be possible to teach the game to spot all-BOT matches and give no rewards, the only ones that'll be left suffering from this will be the new players, the ones that'll be but in the same compartment as the bots based on there ratios or whatnots, but that's no problem for the elitist PvPers, right?

NO! If a solution is to be found it has to include all players and exclude all BOTS, not an easy task, because the ones who script the bots have the numbers on their side, cryptic is a small studio. What we can do is just wait and see, I'm sure they'll figure something out that allows us to defeat the BOTS
  • Options
    gaatorgaator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104
    edited July 2013
    It's easy to say bots are a problem. It's significantly harder to come up with a solution to the botting problems.

In fact it is so difficult that the entire gaming industry poors millions of dollars a year into bot detection research and the bots always manage to stay one step ahead.

Bots are constantly being dealt with internally and I promise you that once you reach level 60 the bots will all but magically disappear. Bots remain an issue mainly at lower levels and decreasing steadily until you reach level 60.

Despite what tcarnce states things are being done about bots. It's just nowhere near as simple as any gamer believes. :)

This is not true, Ive seen plenty of bots running lvl 60 pvp. My solution, right click > leave party. sorry other 3 people, but im already gone.
  • Options
    baddobb1baddobb1 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    The blame should never lie at the feat of developers, but at the feet of those who cheat.

Lmfao

That's like saying the "The blame should never lie at the feet of the bank who keeps making its safe easy to break into, but the thieves who keep breaking into it day after day!"

Seriously, are you for real?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    They have to go to the ROOT of the problem: Why do the bots queue for PvP?, when they find the answer, then they have to solve it no matter what.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]