Comments

• Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    .................wait.

We actually sort of agree??

Wait wait....... hold on....

Hmmm... monitor is set to native resolution, eye sight checked last month 20/20 vision, by George...

I think we do! :eek:;)

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Wait wait....... hold on....

Hmmm... monitor is set to native resolution, eye sight checked last month 20/20 vision, by George...

I think we do! :eek:;)

The world...she endeth. Make thine peace!!

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    l3l3l3l3l3l3l3l3 Member Posts: 73
    edited June 2013
    Once upon a time mmo's had employees called "gm's". They moderated the live game, from IN game. They did things like observe and insta ban bots, respond within hours to players problems AND help create a sense of community.

Someone said 2-3 an hour? I think one gm with the right in-game console/software could clean a server of bots in 24hours. Yes they would make new accounts. But then if you dont have an army, you cannot even engage in combat.

Its just easier for the people paying the wages not to employ REAL gm's.
  • Options
    salythsistrasalythsistra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    When I play everyone in the pvp zone can list the individual names of all the pre-60 bots bc they have seen them so many times. Just ask, they will list them by name. There really arent that many to keep track of.

Cryptic needs to do more, and can within reasonable means, but the business model of churning 6 month f2p players for zen, fire and forget, doesnt play well with economic reality of this situation. But this fact has basically already been admitted by Cryptic/PW mods as "bad for business."
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    What about those "to make sure you're human" passwords in the weird font? They could have real players put in a type-what's-in-the-box password when they queue for PvP. Unless there are bots that can bypass that. I'm not really an expert....

As l3l3l3l3 said, too, I'm sure there are people sick enough of lopsided PvP matches to volunteer to cleanse the ground of bots ....... without griefing, too!
  • Options
    dakjkkkkkadakjkkkkka Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    Yea but try to think of how much man power do you need to catch the bots? Lets say we have a system to report player AFK. Ok. how many before it flag for GM to look at? does it decay? (it should.... *hint hint* *cough* chat ban *cough*) now the GM would have to invisibly port in and observe the bot action take action.
    The man power exists, it's called the player base. Bots are obvious, let players flag them, GMs could, if they existed, spend very little time verifying and dealing with them, if there was any incentive for the company to do so.
  • Options
    deknodekno Member Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    what would be a solution to the bots be worth to a company like cryptic?

i have a solution, and im not trolling, a genuine solution for a countermeasure that could be implemented in every game, not just neverwinter.
  • Options
    glathigglathig Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    STO was worse on its release,it was lousy with bots.You couldn't complete quests in some areas or try to get credits because instances were infested with them.So this isn't a new thing for Cryptic at all.Its just sad to see that they still cant address the issue without the cop out of sword/shield analogy.Get some GM's to actually do some investigating in game and start doing the right thing by the player base.

Other titles and publishing houses can do it,why cant Cryptic?
  • Options
    falson1falson1 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    If there was some fix out there they'd of bought into it.

However even if there was some magical person who could solve the problem this falls under the armor versus weapon issue that mankind has been dealing with for a millennium.

A weapon will come out and then the armor smiths devise a way to stop that weapon from being effective. Weaponsmiths will then make a weapon to bypass the kinks in that armor. And the better is never-ending with armor always being one step behind.

It likely started with leather preventing stone tools from penatrating skin and went all the way to Kevlar protecting people from bullets. However as basically everybody this day in age knows there are armor piecing rounds which will circumvent Kevlar. So the fight goes on.

Every additional piece of armor that prevents bots from taking hold in MMO's is circumvented much, much faster than any company can dream of rectifying. Prove me wrong and hire a bunch of people who can fix the problem. However I promise gamers under-estimate the issues which plague the world and the ingenuity of those who wish to circumvent the rules humanity has decided upon.

Bots disappear at 60 huh? Try again. they are all over. Its an easy fix, you have the report spam button yes? Why not a report bot. 3/5 people report bot and wham they are kicked out of pvp and banned from pvp for 24 hours. there problem solved.

What you really need to work on is the bugs and exploits in dungeons, there are so dang many exploits it seems like you don't care about it at all. I simply cannot find a group AT ALL without someone throwing a fit that I wont do some exploit. The game should not be called neverwinter its world of exploits.

Now before you say report it blah blah, I HAVE! you have done ZERO! You close 1 exploit and open 4 others. Your testing process must be a joke. You should fire your entire QA department because they have dropped the ball 100%. I am getting to the point where I will soon stop playing. I play MMO's for fun, not to use exploits to win. You all need to get over yourselves thinking you are perfect and actually do your jobs. I am a practice manager in IT and if my teams performed this way they would be fired on the spot.

I hope I get a resume from someone from your company someday so I can laugh in their face and tell them there is no way I would hire them.
  • Options
    abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    What did these bots do to you? Did it traumatize you somehow ? Do you have PTSD? I will offer 1 hug. Although I am willing to bet a Bot never harmed you or ruined anything.
  • Options
    musashinokamimusashinokami Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Escape > Help > Request GM Help > Behavior

It's buried, I give you that, but it's there.

What do you mean with buried... you mean the ticket is buried asa it's received ..?

Personally I wouldn't care of xp being quite lowered to cancelled from PvP, cause if there are so many bots in PvP it's because they can actually level quite fast thanks to it, they are not much in for glory...
    3 to 4 PvP games raise you from 1 level, which means 45 mn in average. In 45 mn of quests you don't pass 1 level... This is why there are so many bots in PvP : this is the fastest way to level up... Just need to pray a little in addition...

Hail to the stupid fast leveling mechanics of nowadays games. They became so freaking easy even a toaster can become a hardcore gamer...
    What did these bots do to you? Did it traumatize you somehow ? Do you have PTSD? I will offer 1 hug. Although I am willing to bet a Bot never harmed you or ruined anything.

Well, must be really funny for you spending daddy or momy's money, but people spending their hard earned true money in this game probably aren't laughing too much.

Bots ruin games, that's so freaking obvious I don't even know why I'm writting this line...
  • Options
    glathigglathig Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Try PvP with a bunch of bots,then come back and I'll give you that free hug.

mmm k?
  • Options
    pregnablepregnable Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    shwayce wrote: »
    So today I played 7 sub-60 pvp matches. Not one of them had no bots. The last three games each had a minimum of 5 bots. Where is the report bot option in games? Doesn't seem like this makes a real solid impression on the people who just joined the game when PvP is ruined by all of these bots. What's being done about this? We can't kick them anymore. How about some help from the Devs here?

TL;DR

Yeah, you are right, I agree. Real players are ruining bot farming in pvp.

Some people even kick bots before the end of the match, denying them glory for the match. This type of griefing should not be tolerated, and the offending players should be banned from the game.
  • Options
    reichsteinreichstein Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    l3l3l3l3 wrote: »
    Once upon a time mmo's had employees called "gm's". They moderated the live game, from IN game. They did things like observe and insta ban bots, respond within hours to players problems AND help create a sense of community.

Someone said 2-3 an hour? I think one gm with the right in-game console/software could clean a server of bots in 24hours. Yes they would make new accounts. But then if you dont have an army, you cannot even engage in combat.

Its just easier for the people paying the wages not to employ REAL gm's.

*dreamy sigh*... Yeah... those were the days. I remember them too. Those were good times... Better times... Where players felt like they were cared for and their real person player base appreciated.
    Pepperidge Farm remembers...
    6001855.jpg
  • Options
    blondesolidblondesolid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited July 2013
    True PvPers stay for the fight. For the acclaim of winning. It should never be for the purse.

I always thought "True PvPers" were playing primarily for the purse, secondarily for the acclaim.

Anyways, I'll farm the bots for some easy extra points, and just leave a match if I'm on their team. This is the 1st mmo I've played with such blatant(and many) bots in pvp though, even in the 60s bracket.
  • Options
    lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Metrics are used by every game company as main methods of detecting bots. The issue becomes how quickly they can be detected and normally it's long, long after players notice them.

In game bans do happen on basically every MMO. Still there's only so many DM/GM's that you can hire in order to ban before you actually have no money left to make any new content.
    Furthermore there's a large margin in error on those reports. What makes a player a bot? Doing similar actions over and over again? What if I just don't care about the PvP match and decide to keep running to mid and fighting just so I am doing something productive. Bans based on behavior and the human eye are always extremely fallable.

Subscriptions are dead. Sorry. Subscriptions are nothing but a wall which prevent players from even trying the game. SWTOR proved this when they stayed firm that they would never go free to play until the players spoke with their wallets and refused to pay the entrance fee.
    MMO's live by having a large amount of players and the best way to do this is to not do anything which prevents possible players from playing the game. Within the next decade I believe we'll start seeing younger gamers join in the communities which have never (and will never) pay subscription fees.

Well this P2W feature is the problem really. Make it so it doesnt take 5 years to get what you need to make a viable pvp character. Hence the reason people also Bot to get AD faster so it doesnt take years to get enough AD. Years or running 20 10lvl toons and farming leadership doesnt sound like fun either.

I sure wont ever pay this company another cent until the games fixed and not broken
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So lemme get this straight... Bots cannot be stopped. Even if you made a 3D graphical puzzle that a human can solve quicker than a Bot can, and you made 365 of them... and generated them randomly before each PvP session a bot can be made to bypass it?
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    daschernachtdaschernacht Member Posts: 100
    edited July 2013
    PW, (and specifically PW) will never be able to get rid of botting and exploiters as long as their client side memory address usage, (high tech way of saying where in your computer's memory certain functions of the game reside) is not protected and wide open to manipulation.

Those that can manipulate the client can, and do manipulate the game.

After seeing many client side memory manipulations in many other games, more and more gaming companies are locking this and making it a ban worthy offense to tamper with the memory processes OR the memory addresses used by games.

Don't even ask for a more detailed explanation, I'm not willing to get banned trying to show people how I know this.
  • Options
    glohkampglohkamp Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Bots are constantly being dealt with internally and I promise you that once you reach level 60 the bots will all but magically disappear. Bots remain an issue mainly at lower levels and decreasing steadily until you reach level 60.

LOL. Biggest load of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> I've heard on the forums, yet. Bots are in almost every game. In fact, there are bots I see every day, playing all day. I cannot tell you how many times I've carried Lucious Vandor, Rinos Vilbert or Lia Loreweaver through a game. I mean, they are playing so much that it can't even be for the daily quests, but just grinding glory.

They are always CW, always. And as far as I can tell there are two types:

1. Some sort of actual bot that creates its own paths to capture enemy points and blow spells on CD.
    2. I've seen a couple of what appear to be macro bots, doing the same thing every time they spawn regardless of the state of the match or enemy presence. (These ones will get up and move a little bit after you stomp them dead.)

Since they are so easy to detect with the naked eye, why not add a vote-kick option? Or a report bot ability? Even Vanilla WoW had the ability to report bots in game by right-clicking on them on the map. Sure there are no fool-proof, 100% sound, wil work all the time solutions, but that's not an excuse to do nothing.

Do you want to watch how many games at level 60 are ruined by bots and leavers?

twitch.tv/glohkamp

you'll notice that I play with and against the same bots daily. Multiple times a day. It's awful. Need matchmaking and ELO ASAP.
  • Options
    glohkampglohkamp Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    literally the first game I play after posting this had the Rinos Vilbert bot in it, check the stream, lmfao

and he was in a few games after that. 5 games in a row full of leavers and bots. I mean, come on. In the last game we even found a bot (a rogue, actually, for once) and he was immune to CC and took no damage, so we just kited him back to their spawn. You can't honestly tell e at 60 that bots just go away.
  • Options
    yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    While it's true that the 40-59 bracket is just flooded with bots, at 60 there are still quite a few as well. And while I understand that the scriptkiddies will always outcode the devs, a very simple and practical solution that some people posted could fix a whole lot of grief.

A manual response system.

Maybe before accepting the match or during the wait at the campfire, and specifically after 2 or more bot-reports came in for that account.

Reporting a bot should be as easy as reporting spam, just right-click and report. I do use the ticket system, but it's indeed buried and a bit counter-intuitive, I reckon not many people (like to) use it.

I know bots can't be stopped completely and I do like like pvp to gain some more xp while leveling up. But what I think is the most frustrating is that whenever there's a bot in the team I am forced to let a cheater get away with cheating. That doesn't sit well with me and his cheating is making my (game)life harder.
  • Options
    yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Those that can manipulate the client can, and do manipulate the game.

This was the case with stamina being client side at first, which was an open invitation to twiddle with the files.
  • Options
    kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    la-la-la (fingers in ears) it's not happening...

If Cryptic was an animal, it would be an ostrich with its head firmly in the sand...

For a company to suggest that it can't do anything about bots incase it upsets the player-base, and then suggests that they don't exist at end level (when they most certainly do) is just poor. "Hey, you have to work your way through to end-game and then we're almost bot-free!"

Bots exist in PVP because of glory. Glory buys BOE PVP items. BOE PVP Items sell for AD. Bots are farming your game for AD!

However, rather than fix something (i agree it may be difficult) that DIRECTLY impacts your playerbase, you choose to nerf a specific leadership task to reduce the AD generated instead. This is even more crazy when you think that crafting AD is already capped, but farmed PVP AD is unlimited (if people buy it through AH).
  • Options
    pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's really not hard to spot bots in this game. They always run on the same path. They always follow any enemy that gets within 10-15 meters, and if the enemy gets farther away than that without attacking, they return right to their preset running path. They use the same exact attack patterns, in most cases just spamming at wills. Some of them are so blatant that they just literally follow people around and don't attack at all.

I don't see how it can be classified as difficult to see that if you were actually looking at people playing PVP. *shrug*

Honestly, the only way I can see to prevent bots is very swift IN GAME GM action on any bot reportings. It sure as hell would not take many GMs to do this (eventually, these guys are going to get tired of getting banned in level 10-19 pvp and give up on that method. Whether the game is free or not, making new accounts and getting banned in the first 20 levels is not going to make them any sort of profit -at all-. I can promise you that would be true :P) And harsh consequences to people who use the bot reporting option in false reports to get their tickets escalated or something.

You cannot look me in the metaphorical face and honestly tell me that a bot could level from 1-59 solely through pvp (I saw this with my own eyes. Fighting with and against this same exact bot, over and over and over, in the course of a week as I leveled an alt to 60 through pvp and questing) without getting banned somewhere in the 20s-30s AT THE HIGHEST if there was in game GMs that acted swiftly on reports of some guy being a bot.

I would do this 'job' for free. I could probably clean up every server within a week, easily. Maintaining that is the 'hard' part. I say 'hard' because they'll be just as easy to spot and ban again. God forbid someone actually has to lift a finger and do some 'work' by watching for bots and responding to instant reports.
  • Options
    kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Easiest fix is to make all PVP gear BOP, have it so that it CANNOT be sold at all.

Then implement a gear system for PVP players so they can earn glory to improve their gear over time via glory. (have it so <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> of glory can improve a stat by YYY).

That keeps the PVP people playing with something to aim for once they have the 'easily-bought' items and it will keep bots away as they have nothing to gain from racking up glory.

The only problem I see is how they then balance the PVP gear against PVE gear - but that is something for another day.
  • Options
    drakonadrgoradrakonadrgora Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What you say is true, the moment any fix is created for a bot, the bot developer is already working on the way to get around the fix. Even Blizzard could not ever keep bots out of Diablo 2 no matter how hard they tried.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kimberix wrote: »
    Easiest fix is to make all PVP gear BOP, have it so that it CANNOT be sold at all.

This would almost totally solve the problem. I can't imagine why Cryptic isn't doing this......
  • Options
    drakonadrgoradrakonadrgora Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Actually they could earn a small profit even with that happening and not all bots are that dumb or easy to spot. Plus with how easy it is to make an account here a bot could be used to create accounts for other bots. hell a simple macro scrip could be used to create the accounts and then store about 10-100 accounts and just rotate them so no one account is discovered too soon and banned.
  • Options
    callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    It's easy to say bots are a problem. It's significantly harder to come up with a solution to the botting problems.

In fact it is so difficult that the entire gaming industry poors millions of dollars a year into bot detection research and the bots always manage to stay one step ahead.

Bots are constantly being dealt with internally and I promise you that once you reach level 60 the bots will all but magically disappear. Bots remain an issue mainly at lower levels and decreasing steadily until you reach level 60.

Despite what tcarnce states things are being done about bots. It's just nowhere near as simple as any gamer believes. :)

As a Network Administrator ill have to disagree with you.

Bots can be stopped, but then YOU guys lose money.

Not all gamers are uneducated tools, just sayin.
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    callmedeux wrote: »
    As a Network Administrator ill have to disagree with you.

Bots can be stopped, but then YOU guys lose money.

Not all gamers are uneducated tools, just sayin.

Ok, as a network admin I'm sure you work for a profitable company, right? I assume it makes money? That's good.

So with you're expertise, how about list concrete ways that Cryptic can code PvP in a way that is profitable long term?

We know the way it is now can not be very profitable, as more and more folk decide not to play due to bot frustration. So maybe there needs to be a change of thought that needs to take place at PWE /Cryptic.

Im interested in each game change you believe would limit botters, regardless what the loss in short term profit may be. It takes nearly as much ability to know how to profit by good advice as to know how to act for one's self. The PvP community and PWE/Cryptic will need to sacrifice in order for a solution that benefits both parties to be realized.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!