Install Arc
Options

Dialog/NPC/Quest Text Display Issue

13»

Comments

• Options
    gamminagammina Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nameofthedragon THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! Its perfect step by step for little stupid girls as me :D Its quickli repair, thank you once more
  • Options
    l3luntkingl3luntking Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have the bug and I've tried everything, also my keyboard is already English-US by default, so I tried changing it, still didn't work, and set it back to English-US and still no dialog.......... help me please

Signed, l3luntking
  • Options
    shielgardinshielgardin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    era2810 wrote: »
    ***IMPORTANT*** I've posted this nearly 2hrs ago when figured it out, but I'll do it again under this thread as well.
    As I suspected - issue to the dialouge problem lies in the game client language detection (English, German and other general languages). So if you're from a country not supported by any of the languages implented in the game (like me, Croatia) I'm guessing you won't see them.
    Temporary SOLUTION for players to the problem is:
    - switch your general system language to English (US), Keyboard settings as well (you need to SWITCH your Windows System language to it as well(!), not just the keyboard)
    - restart PC
    - and VOILA - enjoy!

- SPREAD THE WORD!

Hope you guys fix it soon.

This undoubtedly worked for on my UK English system.
    Thank you for taking the time to find a solution, and explain it and keep repeating it - I hope PW is sending you a few Zen by way of thank you.

Designers - you have a really good game here but you need to start listening to your customers and remember that there is a world outside of North America and if you want the rest of the world to play (and pay) then you need to start testing native on other system configuration types. Our hopes of a future quality offering will not carry you forever - please get a grip.
  • Options
    shanawdithitshanawdithit Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OK, I have now changed all my settings (except keyboard) back to UK and everything is fine now. So it looks like the game needs to run once with everything set to USA and then you'll be fine.

I have also verified this procedure on a different Windows 7 computer, it worked there too.

My gut instinct, honed over 30 years of software development, says they need to look for some data persisted in one locale and restored in another. Maybe some thread settings have changed from the default system locale to the invariant culture or something, but of course the saved data would be in the default locale so may not restore correctly.

So to recap, my procedure is as follows:
    Go to control panel, Clock, Language and Region. Click Region.
    In the Formats tab, set English (United States); Apply settings.
    In the Location tab, set United States; Apply settings
    In the Administrative tab, click Change System Locale (for non-unicode programs) and set United States.
    Click OK and reboot.
    After reboot, run the game and log in, you should see that the bug is fixed and you can see all text again.

Now exit from the game, go back to Control Panel and change all your settings back to what they were. Reboot again.
    After reboot, run the game and everything should still work.

This process worked for me on Windows 8 Pro x64 and Windows 7 Pro x64.

--Tim Long[/ awesome post this fixed it for me , some how they screwed up the game local setting in the last patch....i hope it works for everyone else
  • Options
    shanawdithitshanawdithit Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This undoubtedly worked for on my UK English system.
    Thank you for taking the time to find a solution, and explain it and keep repeating it - I hope PW is sending you a few Zen by way of thank you.

Designers - you have a really good game here but you need to start listening to your customers and remember that there is a world outside of North America and if you want the rest of the world to play (and pay) then you need to start testing native on other system configuration types. Our hopes of a future quality offering will not carry you forever - please get a grip.
    OK, I have now changed all my settings (except keyboard) back to UK and everything is fine now. So it looks like the game needs to run once with everything set to USA and then you'll be fine.

I have also verified this procedure on a different Windows 7 computer, it worked there too.

My gut instinct, honed over 30 years of software development, says they need to look for some data persisted in one locale and restored in another. Maybe some thread settings have changed from the default system locale to the invariant culture or something, but of course the saved data would be in the default locale so may not restore correctly.

So to recap, my procedure is as follows:
    Go to control panel, Clock, Language and Region. Click Region.
    In the Formats tab, set English (United States); Apply settings.
    In the Location tab, set United States; Apply settings
    In the Administrative tab, click Change System Locale (for non-unicode programs) and set United States.
    Click OK and reboot.
    After reboot, run the game and log in, you should see that the bug is fixed and you can see all text again.

Now exit from the game, go back to Control Panel and change all your settings back to what they were. Reboot again.
    After reboot, run the game and everything should still work.

This process worked for me on Windows 8 Pro x64 and Windows 7 Pro x64.

--Tim Long

awesome post this fixed it for me , some how they screwed up the game local setting in the last patch....i hope it works for everyone else

try this fix folks set all local settings to english usa language as stated above
  • Options
    besi6besi6 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    this is not only problem, i can't open the chest in dungeon and can't leave dungeon..
    i'm f stuck in dungeon..:)
  • Options
    marlinpiemarlinpie Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I had the same problem! I got stuck in a dungeon and at the end the chest was glitched. Hopefully they compensate anyone who encountered the problem with a T2 item just like the Dungeon was :)
  • Options
    nameofthedragonnameofthedragon Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It seems like its enough to run the game once in USA locale. Having done that, you can change all your settings back and everything seems to be fine. Note that changing the system locale is necessary and that requires a reboot.
  • Options
    storelwandererstorelwanderer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No idea if this is part of anything else, but the opening cinematic when you create a new character can no longer be cancelled (at least from my experience today). This is very annoying if all you want to do is have a quick play with character creation after having new ideas for character concepts.

So is it supposed to be that the cinematic can't be cancelled now and has to play right to the end? (I don't remember reading any notes saying that was being done) Or is it a bug that cropped up with everything else?
  • Options
    arendhelarendhel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey All,

We are aware of an issue where Dialogue Boxes/NPC/Quest text is not always appearing for players. Thanks for taking the time to report this to us!

Our team is working to troubleshoot the issue now, and will post an update here once we have a progress update to share. Currently we are working to determine the specific reproduction steps to figure out exactly what causes the issue.

We have seen some reports that state that switching the keyboard layout to something other than English will cause the issue to occur 100% of the time, but we were not able to verify this using our test machines. We will continue testing until the exact nature of the issue is determined.

If anyone has details or insight that can assist in tracking down the issue, please feel free to post it here!

Update: We'll be performing maintenance tonight to address this issue!

I think the real problem comes from the launcher... Here is how I fixed this problem without changing anything on my operating system.
    I went to the launcher options and selected the "Disable on demand updates" (not sure how it's called in english, but it should be something like that)
    After that, I got a big update, and then no more NPC text problem...
  • Options
    tormundatormunda Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    myschaella wrote: »
    I have UK layout keyboard and I am not going to change it to US layout. Game worked fine before patch. Only vendor I can access is the Tormalune trader in Protectors and the Zen store (surprise, surprise). All other traders and quest givers, including the AD store are blank. I run windows 8 64bit and have been playing since CBT1 this is the first time I have ever had any major game breaking issue. Considering that testing is supposed to have been done before release of patches this is not impressive especially after the failed GG release.

Completelly agree. Same issue here.
    I am NOT going to change my PC language settings to run a free online game.
  • Options
    umad246umad246 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, it's even worse for me, it's stuck on the first quest when you just create a new character, all I wanted to do is play some neverwinter for the first time and this is what I get..
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    umad246 wrote: »
    Well, it's even worse for me, it's stuck on the first quest when you just create a new character, all I wanted to do is play some neverwinter for the first time and this is what I get..

It is, at least, a representative slice of what to expect.

(The levelling quests and environments are great, but the game is buggy as all hell. Don't be too quick to get your wallet out)