test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dialog/NPC/Quest Text Display Issue

dezstravusdezstravus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey All,

We are aware of an issue where Dialogue Boxes/NPC/Quest text is not always appearing for players. Thanks for taking the time to report this to us!

Our team is working to troubleshoot the issue now, and will post an update here once we have a progress update to share. Currently we are working to determine the specific reproduction steps to figure out exactly what causes the issue.

We have seen some reports that state that switching the keyboard layout to something other than English will cause the issue to occur 100% of the time, but we were not able to verify this using our test machines. We will continue testing until the exact nature of the issue is determined.

If anyone has details or insight that can assist in tracking down the issue, please feel free to post it here!

Update: We'll be performing maintenance tonight to address this issue!

Update 2: Maintenance has solved the issue for most players. Please let us know if you're still seeing it!
Post edited by dezstravus on

Comments

• Options
    konidragoskonidragos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi,

My keyboard layout was English (UK) Extended - changed to Eng-US and now working.

Someone in chat said it works fine for them,
    "My keyboard layout is Finnish - Suomi , and everything is fine."
  • Options
    lucienderluciender Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Once you talk to NPCs (Other than normal merchants it would seem), you won't be able to get out of that window either. Technically this means you can't do anything (or at least, not much at all for I think you could still run a dungeon or so) so right now a lot of players are just sitting 'stuck', however it seems that some players do not have this issue at all. Well, no questing, no dailies, I would strongly recommend an emergency patch once the source of the issue is known.

Good luck guys, hope you get to fix it soon... I got a GWF to get to 60 <.<
    Characters:

Llanowar of Eladamri - Drow TR
    Balthor the Stout - Dwarf GF
    Akroma the Fallen - Half-Orc GWF
    Reya the Dawnbringer - Drow DC

Mindflayer Shard
  • Options
    cavaliersinbadcavaliersinbad Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey All,

We are aware of an issue where Dialogue Boxes/NPC/Quest text is not always appearing for players. Thanks for taking the time to report this to us!

Our team is working to troubleshoot the issue now, and will post an update here once we have a progress update to share. Currently we are working to determine the specific reproduction steps to figure out exactly what causes the issue.

We have seen some reports that state that switching the keyboard layout to something other than English will cause the issue to occur 100% of the time, but we were not able to verify this using our test machines. We will continue testing until the exact nature of the issue is determined.

If anyone has details or insight that can assist in tracking down the issue, please feel free to post it here!

Hi, I just updated the patch, and my game encountered the problem straight away, empty chat windows, I did not change the layout of my keyboard, and the game always ran fine before(perfect world permitting)....
  • Options
    warstormforumwarstormforum Member Posts: 41
    edited June 2013
    The NPC thing isnt even the only game breaking problem some people (myself included) are rubberbanding/lagging so hard the game is practically unplayable
  • Options
    sircrimersircrimer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have german and english keyboard layouts installed. One problem is that windows automatically switches back to german when i select us.

I solved it by setting the default layout to us.

Not sure if this is related, but you introduced a bug that "activation on second press" with powers no longer works. And it changed the default "Alt" key to "F2".
  • Options
    schlaftenschlaften Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    my keyboard is english uk, not been changed, cant talk to any npc's, cant loot chests, pressing escape gets me out of it
  • Options
    swejuggaloswejuggalo Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It must be more to it than only the keyboard setting. I have Win8 Pro, English (UK) language with Swedish keyboard. AMD 7950 graphics. I tried other keyboard settings with no luck, and others can keep their settings without issues. I don't think the game actually demands me to reboot due to keyboard settings have changed, so I have only restarted the game a few times.
    Someone posted something about a setting Alt+F4 and enable NPC dialog, but that might just have been a "troll". That key combination does not work for me
  • Options
    konidragoskonidragos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've changed my keyboard back to English UK now and dialogue is still working.
    This isnt related to the fix for whatever caused gaming keyboards to stop working on preview is it?

swejuggalo - try changing your windows default keyboard language to english-us with the game closed the launch again.
  • Options
    anachronoxroxanachronoxrox Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I had the bug but have now fixed it.

I changed my english uk keyb layout to US english, game works fine now.
  • Options
    ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    While I appreciate that there is a work-around by changing the keyboard layout, making alterations to the normal running of my computer, in order to correct a problem within a single video game, is not an acceptable solution.

I guess for now, I'll be thankful I have 6+ hour profession jobs running currently, and go do something more productive.. *shrug*
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • Options
    skyewolf1skyewolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Try to be helpful people. If the Devs can't reproduce it they can't fix it and if the can't reproduce the issue on their end they can test til the cows come home and still not find the bug. That's a pretty good reason why it went live in the first place.

If all you're going to do is complain when they ask for your feedback and help to solve an issue you're part of the problem.
  • Options
    penfoldimuspenfoldimus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    just got home after a days graft, sat down to play a new toon and BOOM!! no quest logs/npc chat logs lol have to ctrl, alt delete to escape lol please do fix this soon or me and my pals might have to renew our wow subscriptions lol
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    skyewolf1 wrote: »
    Try to be helpful people. If the Devs can't reproduce it they can't fix it and if the can't reproduce the issue on their end they can test til the cows come home and still not find the bug. That's a pretty good reason why it went live in the first place.

If all you're going to do is complain when they ask for your feedback and help to solve an issue you're part of the problem.

In essence I agree with you.

But the track record for Cryptic/PWI is pretty poor isn't it.

A total disdain for even minimal standards of Customer Service / Community Liaison.

And every "bug" that we have seen with every patch has the exact same reproduction procedure:
    Step 1: Put money before product integrity.
    Step 2: Pay peanuts.
    Step 3: Get monkeys.
    Step 4: Don't read feedback from Test Server Forums.
    Step 5: Don't care.

This issue was flagged over on the Test Server and yet it still makes it to a live patch.

That leaves us with very few options:

1) They just don't care enough to do even basic QA.
    2) They just don't care about players outside of the US.
    3) They just don't care enough to have any pride in their work, or their product.
    4) They just don't care as long as fan-bois defend them and the money rolls in.

Now, ask yourself this: If they don't care, why should we?

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    swejuggaloswejuggalo Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The game was restarted several times between changing to other keyboards with no luck
  • Options
    fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    English version have this bug for me also
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    borutborut Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For me it works i add English-US keyboard in control panel regional and language options go to game and it works , exit game and remove English-US keyboard go back to game and still works (i am from Slovenia)
  • Options
    lorestardarklorestardark Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To close a dialogue box without text or buttons just click off it and press escape.

Don't know if it will make any difference / help but i have noticed that the daily quests box (talking to Rhix) is moveable where as all the others i have used (Quest completes / Merchants) are not.
  • Options
    lucienderluciender Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To close a dialogue box without text or buttons just click off it and press escape.

Don't know if it will make any difference / help but i have noticed that the daily quests box (talking to Rhix) is moveable where as all the others i have used (Quest completes / Merchants) are not.

Pressing ESC didn't work for me at all :/
    Characters:

Llanowar of Eladamri - Drow TR
    Balthor the Stout - Dwarf GF
    Akroma the Fallen - Half-Orc GWF
    Reya the Dawnbringer - Drow DC

Mindflayer Shard
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    luciender wrote: »
    Pressing ESC didn't work for me at all :/

You need to click off the box first so the text and the top of the box turns from white to yellow (might be yellow to white)

But i have managed to get the text back by exiting the game and changing my keyboard from English (UK) to English (US)

In Windows 7, Control Panel -> Change Keyboard or other input device -> Change Keyboard
    under the default input language i changed the drop down to English (US) (you might need to add it as an option) loaded back into the game and the text was back.

I have now changed my keyboard back to English (UK) and the text is still there.
  • Options
    therealgravecardtherealgravecard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited June 2013
    PT (Portugal) keyboard layout and PT regional definitions. English client language.
    Everything works fine.
    Gauntlgrym Best Score - 21/2/48
  • Options
    ilera3dilera3d Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not sure if it's related, but just cleared entire orc barracks for "Fists of the Warband" quest, and now am stuck at last chest unable to collect my reward from it (it is glowing, just zooms screen, no dialogue to take item), so now i either quit dungeon and lose progress, or sit here.
    Won't hold breath for gm report, still have 1 that is 12 days old and no response, but would be good to know if this is now just a lost cause and i will have to repeat it again (as a gwf with no companion yet it costs quite a bit in potions)
  • Options
    era2810era2810 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ***IMPORTANT*** I've posted this nearly 2hrs ago when figured it out, but I'll do it again under this thread as well.
    As I suspected - issue to the dialouge problem lies in the game client language detection (English, German and other general languages). So if you're from a country not supported by any of the languages implented in the game (like me, Croatia) I'm guessing you won't see them.
    Temporary SOLUTION for players to the problem is:
    - switch your general system language to English (US), Keyboard settings as well (you need to SWITCH your Windows System language to it as well(!), not just the keyboard)
    - restart PC
    - and VOILA - enjoy!

- SPREAD THE WORD!

Hope you guys fix it soon.
  • Options
    maddogrenomaddogreno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well i live on Finland and had my country layout but after this last patch stop NPC dialogs working (was emphty). So i find out that keyboard layout might be reason and i tryed to change my layout to English US and it START WORKING. So YES there is problem now when i cant use my own country (Finland) layout what was working before this last mainetance. ;-)
  • Options
    era2810era2810 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Been yelling that in Zone chat and under forum threads for some time now :)
  • Options
    myschaellamyschaella Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I have UK layout keyboard and I am not going to change it to US layout. Game worked fine before patch. Only vendor I can access is the Tormalune trader in Protectors and the Zen store (surprise, surprise). All other traders and quest givers, including the AD store are blank. I run windows 8 64bit and have been playing since CBT1 this is the first time I have ever had any major game breaking issue. Considering that testing is supposed to have been done before release of patches this is not impressive especially after the failed GG release.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ilera3dilera3d Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For the record you dont need the pc restart.
    Just change to US english keyboard, and restart the game, it will work for the chest not showing rewards issue.
    Annoying as I have GB English, how different can it be?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It does not work on my windows 8....alas
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ilera3d wrote: »
    For the record you dont need the pc restart.
    Just change to US english keyboard, and restart the game, it will work for the chest not showing rewards issue.
    Annoying as I have GB English, how different can it be?

I've swaped back to what mine was before swaping and the text is still there
  • Options
    overlordquakeoverlordquake Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I ve changed my settings to US icluding format /date time etc and it worked fine :=) !
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    when do you think there will be a fix ?