Options

Dialog/NPC/Quest Text Display Issue

Comments

• Options
    cavaliersinbadcavaliersinbad Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey All,

We are aware of an issue where Dialogue Boxes/NPC/Quest text is not always appearing for players. Thanks for taking the time to report this to us!

Our team is working to troubleshoot the issue now, and will post an update here once we have a progress update to share. Currently we are working to determine the specific reproduction steps to figure out exactly what causes the issue.

We have seen some reports that state that switching the keyboard layout to something other than English will cause the issue to occur 100% of the time, but we were not able to verify this using our test machines. We will continue testing until the exact nature of the issue is determined.

If anyone has details or insight that can assist in tracking down the issue, please feel free to post it here!

when do you think there will be a fix ??
  • Options
    riverslqriverslq Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    People *****ing and moaning have apparently never worked in the QA or Dev fields.
  • Options
    lunacristlunacrist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    era2810 wrote: »
    ***IMPORTANT*** I've posted this nearly 2hrs ago when figured it out, but I'll do it again under this thread as well.
    As I suspected - issue to the dialouge problem lies in the game client language detection (English, German and other general languages). So if you're from a country not supported by any of the languages implented in the game (like me, Croatia) I'm guessing you won't see them.
    Temporary SOLUTION for players to the problem is:
    - switch your general system language to English (US), Keyboard settings as well (you need to SWITCH your Windows System language to it as well(!), not just the keyboard)
    - restart PC
    - and VOILA - enjoy!

- SPREAD THE WORD!

Hope you guys fix it soon.

This DOES NOT work unless you are using a different language in the first place. If you are already using EN(US) you can't switch to another language, switch back and expect this to work.
  • Options
    dagorathoodagorathoo Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Mexico, Keyboard - Espanol - latinoamerica.

Daily npc not working, din't test any other.
  • Options
    rjancsorjancso Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi

Changing keyboard to US solved the problem.
  • Options
    cooltyler99cooltyler99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Im from canada and it wont work for me :/ any solutions :o
  • Options
    solwrathsolwrath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 79
    edited June 2013
    Delves chest and other general end of quest/skirmish reward chests are also not working and these issues seem to be linked
  • Options
    cooltyler99cooltyler99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Could windows 8 be the problem?
  • Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I installed the US english keyboard but didn't make it my default and the vendors now work.

Edit: Win 7 here so not an 8 issue.
  • Options
    elvastrangerelvastranger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This problem has only occurred for me since the latest patch, everything seemed to be fine before that. :( Another player told me that they tried doing a skirmish, got to the end, killed end boss, opened the chest and received nothing. once again only since last patch :(
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This is how I fixed the issue - http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?375171-Patch-Notes-NW-3-20130529g-25&p=4765071&viewfull=1#post4765071

Do this - open control panel - click on Regional and Language - click the Keyboards and Languages tab - click 'change keyboards' - choose English [United States] US as the default input language and apply, this enables English [United States]US , close the client if it is open and restart it then the game will work and the text boxes will be fixed , all credit to m4erl1n

Before I only had English United Kingdom enabled , and I am using Vista so it isn't a Windows 8 issue.
  • Options
    d00meed00mee Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2013
    era2810 wrote: »
    ***IMPORTANT*** I've posted this nearly 2hrs ago when figured it out, but I'll do it again under this thread as well.
    As I suspected - issue to the dialouge problem lies in the game client language detection (English, German and other general languages). So if you're from a country not supported by any of the languages implented in the game (like me, Croatia) I'm guessing you won't see them.
    Temporary SOLUTION for players to the problem is:
    - switch your general system language to English (US), Keyboard settings as well (you need to SWITCH your Windows System language to it as well(!), not just the keyboard)
    - restart PC
    - and VOILA - enjoy!

- SPREAD THE WORD!

Hope you guys fix it soon.

I am from Hungary. Hungarian Win7 OS and keyboard layout. Switched my layout AND my location to US and started the game. dialogs finally works.
    I closed the client, switched back to my normal hungarian settings, started the client again and dialogs still works.
    Worked for me. I did not restart my PC.
  • Options
    elvesingoloelvesingolo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As people sugest here I changed keybord for english US - it didnt work for me, quest boxes was still empty.
    So i changed every language options to english US like region, date format and everything what can be changed in language section in control panel.
    I restart game and quest boxes now have text - so this works for me.
    I have downloaded new client with localisation for my country (Poland).

At the moment i cant tell anything about other bug's.
  • Options
    raiderbaseraiderbase Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OK for those of you who havnt been able to correct this yet this is a guide with a screen shot on what you need to do

(im sure the devs have already figured it out and sorting a patch so this is just for you while theyre doing it)

step 1: Open your control panel

step 2: Select and open '' Clock, Language and Region ''

step 3: Select and open '' Language ''

step 4: Select '' Add Language ''

Step 5: Scroll down to ''English'' and click it

step 6: Now Select ''English (United States)'' out of all of the different English variations and click ''Add''

step 7: Move it to the top of your languages as shown in the screenshot below

step 8: Your good to go your game and dialogue chats will be working normally again

screenshot: http://prntscr.com/1cakja

Enjoy and happy gaming all :cool:
  • Options
    swejuggaloswejuggalo Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Changing both OS language setting and keyboard to US, start the game, verify that it works, change back keyboard to the preferred one. And it still works. I guess I could probably change the OS setting back too without issues.
  • Options
    nameofthedragonnameofthedragon Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am in UK but use an American keyboard and therefore have my keyboard layout set to US, but my system locale is UK. I get the issue 100% of the time and no amount of logging in will fix it.

I have also just tried setting my locale to US and that hasn't fixed it either. So I'm not sure it is related to Locale/Keyboard.
    --Tim Long
  • Options
    aghasdfjgaghasdfjg Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thanks that fixed mine too.
  • Options
    zsalyazsalya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    d00mee wrote: »
    I am from Hungary. Hungarian Win7 OS and keyboard layout. Switched my layout AND my location to US and started the game. dialogs finally works.
    I closed the client, switched back to my normal hungarian settings, started the client again and dialogs still works.
    Worked for me. I did not restart my PC.

I am Hungarian too. It is not working for me on my pc: Hungarian Windows 8 Pro
  • Options
    pharaohuk22pharaohuk22 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I had the bug but have now fixed it.

I changed my english uk keyb layout to US english, game works fine now.

i have the bug and i also swapped over my keyboard from UK english to US english and it still didnt fix it.
  • Options
    lunacristlunacrist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    All this 'change language' stuff is ONLY IF YOU ARE NOT USING ENGLISH FIRST. You can't change it to another language then back and expect these fixes to work
  • Options
    raiderbaseraiderbase Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lunacrist wrote: »
    All this 'change language' stuff is ONLY IF YOU ARE NOT USING ENGLISH FIRST. You can't change it to another language then back and expect these fixes to work

lol there r different variations of English to choose from u need the English (united states) variation as shown in my guide on page 5 post #45 of this thread
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm using Windows 8 and an American keyboard, had my system locale set to UK, Region to UK and Keyboard to US. I had the bug 100% of the time.

Changing region to US had no effect.

Changed my System Locale to English (United States) and this required a Windows restart. On next login, the bug was fixed. SO it definitely looks like a localization issue.

Next I'm going to try changing it all back to UK to see if the bug is still there.
    --Tim Long
  • Options
    shrewdlogarithmshrewdlogarithm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I should highlight to people changing their locale that it can have knock-on-effects on other programs (and make your keyboard act funny) so unless you're desperate to play - I'd wait for them to patch it.

I'd also like to say that the developers need to hang their head in SHAME for this - it's absolutely obvious they did no meaningful level of testing before releasing this.

For a one-man-indie-developer to release something like this is poor show - for a large company it's laughable and it makes you wonder what other disasters are lurking in their 'code'.
  • Options
    akiralahakiralah Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am from the states and my keyboard and Windows setting was set to English (Canada) I changed it to English (US) and it fixed the bug. Thank You
  • Options
    gamminagammina Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Please, how I can changed keyb in game? I have a bug with NPC too....
  • Options
    darkfalconseekerdarkfalconseeker Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1053426_623645430979121_922606210_o.jpg

My locale is US English. Standard version getting installed by using an english installer for windows 8.

No matter what locale, I keep having the same trouble ;)
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The bug is triggered by using anything other than US English. Try UK English, for example. Setting it to US English stops the bug. You broke localisation again.
  • Options
    gamminagammina Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Im dont undetestand.... U are speaking about WIN locate, or some GAME locate? Im from czech republic, and locate WIN from CZE... Can I work some steps, for fixed this horrible bug?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    OK, I have now changed all my settings (except keyboard) back to UK and everything is fine now. So it looks like the game needs to run once with everything set to USA and then you'll be fine.

I have also verified this procedure on a different Windows 7 computer, it worked there too.

My gut instinct, honed over 30 years of software development, says they need to look for some data persisted in one locale and restored in another. Maybe some thread settings have changed from the default system locale to the invariant culture or something, but of course the saved data would be in the default locale so may not restore correctly.

So to recap, my procedure is as follows:
    Go to control panel, Clock, Language and Region. Click Region.
    In the Formats tab, set English (United States); Apply settings.
    In the Location tab, set United States; Apply settings
    In the Administrative tab, click Change System Locale (for non-unicode programs) and set United States.
    Click OK and reboot.
    After reboot, run the game and log in, you should see that the bug is fixed and you can see all text again.

Now exit from the game, go back to Control Panel and change all your settings back to what they were. Reboot again.
    After reboot, run the game and everything should still work.

This process worked for me on Windows 8 Pro x64 and Windows 7 Pro x64.

--Tim Long
  • Options
    sh4dowrunn3rsh4dowrunn3r Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It's your windows locale.

And I'm not changing anything, it's their job to fix it.

Reminds me of forsaken world (another PW game) where launcher crashes on win xp and it's impossible to update the game, unless you install chinese letter support. They NEVER fixed it, it's probably still bugged after years. They instead post manual patches on forum lol.