test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dear Cryptic, will you please consider changing the Dungeon Delve mechanic?

gulrakdarkgulrakdark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
This game is a Dungeons & Dragons game is it not? However it is NOT fun having to wait sometimes 6 hours between Dungeon Delves to enter these "Dungeons" and slay the aforementioned "Dragons"!

I would like to ask the Cryptic Devs to consider a new system of DD, where we are allocated a certain number of DD rewards per day instead of the current 1 hour event format.

This could mean that players will be free to run Dungeons throughout the day, at their leisure and in their own time. It could also mean players will not be motivated to find the shortest/quickest path to the boss, so that they can get in as many runs as possible in that limited 1 hour window.

(Yes this post might be a rehash of the last one, but I feel it needs renewed attention and I apologize for that)
Post edited by gulrakdark on

Comments

• Options
    elilusoeliluso Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I can give you the answer that the Defs will give you in short.

Join a Guild, NW is a social Game!!
  • Options
    toughguyloltoughguylol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gulrakdark wrote: »
    This game is a Dungeons & Dragons game is it not? However it is NOT fun having to wait sometimes 6 hours between Dungeon Delves to enter these "Dungeons" and slay the aforementioned "Dragons"!

I would like to ask the Cryptic Devs to consider a new system of DD, where we are allocated a certain number of DD rewards per day instead of the current 1 hour event format.

This could mean that players will be free to run Dungeons throughout the day, at their leisure and in their own time. It could also mean players will not be motivated to find the shortest/quickest path to the boss, so that they can get in as many runs as possible in that limited 1 hour window.

(Yes this post might be a rehash of the last one, but I feel it needs renewed attention and I apologize for that)

this game is dungeons & dragons by name only
  • Options
    gulrakdarkgulrakdark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    eliluso wrote: »

I AM in guild, one that I joined after my last one kinda died due to lack of activity as more people left or stopped playing the game. Oh did I mention I was the only one online when I last logged off in my present guild? Yeah. People are quitting and I can understand why. And Cryptic just stands by doing what I do not know what, they also need a BETTER QA team for this game, if they have one at all.

This game, especially for newcomers, seems polished and all at the beginning, but oh my, get to cap and dig an inch deeper and it is filled with bugs and issues. Tool tips that are misleading, vague or wrong, gear sets, feats, spells, powers that either do not work as per the tool tip, is vague in it's mechanics or simply do not work at all. Some work against you lol.

All that before even mentioning the design issues of gear drops, dungeons and adds and so on.
  • Options
    xermellxermell Member Posts: 56
    edited June 2013

good point, it could make people who can't have the event because they have their work in real life. We can have the event at our most convenient time. :)
    There's three ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way and the way that I do it.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    I think it's better to focus on the true issue: You feel under-rewarded for playing when the DD Event isn't active.

There is nothing wrong with the DD mechanic other than the fact players feel it isn't worth-while to do dungeons outside of the DD Event. That's not a problem with the event, that's a problem with the non-DD rewards.

The one thing I can basically promise will not happen, coming from a player experienced in balancing games, is that the solution is to simply give the chest at the end of every dungeon even if it's only for a few times a day. That would absolutely destroy the game balance and overpopulate the game with items.

The delve event exists in order to get players to organize events around it. They are supposed to log in and say 'hey guys Delves starts in 30 minutes let's go do a dungeon during that time' as an added incentive. The only real problem with this is that when the delve event isn't going players feel extremely under-rewarded for their time and effort and that is the true problem.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

I didn't get your point between having a new DD Mechanic as stated and Joining a Guild.
    There's three ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way and the way that I do it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I think it's better to focus on the true issue: You feel under-rewarded for playing when the DD Event isn't active.

There is nothing wrong with the DD mechanic other than the fact players feel it isn't worth-while to do dungeons outside of the DD Event. That's not a problem with the event, that's a problem with the non-DD rewards.

The one thing I can basically promise will not happen, coming from a player experienced in balancing games, is that the solution is to simply give the chest at the end of every dungeon even if it's only for a few times a day. That would absolutely destroy the game balance and overpopulate the game with items.

The delve event exists in order to get players to organize events around it. They are supposed to log in and say 'hey guys Delves starts in 30 minutes let's go do a dungeon during that time' as an added incentive. The only real problem with this is that when the delve event isn't going players feel extremely under-rewarded for their time and effort and that is the true problem.

Hi Mod, We don't need to put a Chest in every run, i think, the point of the thread starter is instead of having it an event, we make it a repeatable quest like X times a day (with Chest) and we can do that in anytime we want.
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2013
    This game is a Dungeons & Dragons game is it not? However it is NOT fun having to wait sometimes 6 hours between Dungeon Delves to enter these "Dungeons" and slay the aforementioned "Dragons"!)

well, said that so many time, but it looks like the D&D name is just borrowed so the can attract more player

not really an answer though :(
    I AM in guild, one that I joined after my last one kinda died due to lack of activity as more people left or stopped playing the game. Oh did I mention I was the only one online when I last logged off in my present guild? Yeah. People are quitting and I can understand why. And Cryptic just stands by doing what I do not know what, they also need a BETTER QA team for this game, if they have one at all.

the system has change too much, beside like i said, borrowed name, so players that knew are walk-out
    There is nothing wrong with the DD mechanic other than the fact players feel it isn't worth-while to do dungeons outside of the DD Event. That's not a problem with the event, that's a problem with the non-DD rewards..

Yes an No. Yes, non-DD rewards is problem. No, DD mechanic is wrong if going by timeline, it means you force anyone to DD on specific time only
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    As I said, if that was added into the game then the market would be flooded with items even with limitations on the amount of times you could claim the reward.

Let's pretend it's added though...
    Caps suck. There's no other way to put it. You could run say two dungeons a day and get a chest and then suddenly you can't do it anymore. because you would run into the same issue. Now players would only play a certain amount of runs and then they would stop for the rest of the day.

What's even worse is now it's truly first come first serve. Instead of encouraging players to want to group up with each other, players will simply respond "No I already did my two dungeons, go join a pug" because the problem isn't with the incentive it's with the rewards in general.

Players should want to do the dungeons regardless of the dungeon delve event and it's just not working out that way. That's the problem which needs to be addressed. The dungeon delves should give additional incentive to do dungeons but not feel like a must have in order to even want to do dungeons.
  • Options
    jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Would it really flood the market, that is already flooded? Three chests a day, on your schedule, as opposed to running FH four times in one delve, or spider repeatedly. They really need to get GG <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of the rotation first. That whole thing was a giant let down. Then add more delves. Skirmishes are boring as anything, with the one we can do.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • Options
    mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Really hope they can figure something out for this, as its becoming an on going theme where people only want to do dungeons during dungeon hour. At the end of the day its fairly understandable when it doubles your loot chance from the end boss, other than most the time in tier 2 I tend to get a tier 1 belt... :mad:

I think if the bosses had a 100% chance to drop a set item it would help rather than the general trash they have a tendency to drop, but the market would soon become flooded with set items due to the current buy everything for astral diamonds theme.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ranguren wrote: »
    Yes an No. Yes, non-DD rewards is problem. No, DD mechanic is wrong if going by timeline, it means you force anyone to DD on specific time only

There's a huge difference between force and encourage.

There is absolutely, 100% nothing wrong with giving additional rewards for completing tasks at set times. Note nobody really complains on the forums that they can only PvP during the PvP Event.

The difference is the gap in reward value between the options are far too great.
    Players should feel encouraged to do Dungeon Delves during the event but they shouldn't feel like they have to do them during the event in order to get properly rewarded...

And that is exactly where we are at. The problem is that players CAN'T get Epic Drops from every single dungeon (even if it's only once or twice per day) without flooding the market. It's simply not an option.

So the issue becomes what could possibly be given as a reward that wouldn't effect the market in some serious way but would still feel nearly as rewarding as the DD event.

Honestly, again from my own experience balancing content, the developers would be more likely to "nerf" the DD rewards to make them less appealing (which I hope they don't actually do) than to risk flooding the market even more than the current system allows.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Perhaps the devs could look into making some of the other rotating events more enticing to 60's. For instance, what if the Foundry event gave some ADs or gold instead of XP to level 60's, (since the extra XP is useless to them)? What if, perhaps, they looked into making slightly smaller instances geared toward 3-person teams and quicker playthroughs? Another QoL improvement would be to give some sort of indicator or estimated wait time, to get a dungeon to pop based upon current queues - like if all that's lacking is a guardian fighter, maybe GFs would be offered a "bounty" to queue up - like a small amount of rough ADs or something.

Overall, though, I think part of the problem is the time commitment required for many dungeons. Champions Online has the Alerts, which are very quick encapsulated encounters w/ a boss - I think those are too short, but something in between would be perfect, (think something in the 15-20 mins range).
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    muckbanemuckbane Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013

No. Exploitable dungeons/content and bug-abusing players overpopulate the game with items. That is the actual reason why economy is broken in the game. But a nice try to say perma-delves will overpopulate the game with items, when this is already the case with bugs/exploits.
  • Options
    shultzillashultzilla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The only real problem with this is that when the delve event isn't going players feel extremely under-rewarded for their time and effort and that is the true problem.

This. The question is, how do we make dungeons feel more rewarding outside of the DD event. The only reason why we run dungeons during the DD event is for the rare T1/T2 gear out of the chests. The only thing that comes to mind is adding additional/increased drop chances for those items from different monsters. That way at least we know there's a decent chance of obtaining set pieces besides running DD's.

There definitely needs to be some type of reward outside of DD to make dungeons worthwhile.
  • Options
    g0ld3n4c3g0ld3n4c3 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What's even worse is now it's truly first come first serve. Instead of encouraging players to want to group up with each other, players will simply respond "No I already did my two dungeons, go join a pug" because the problem isn't with the incentive it's with the rewards in general.

The problem is in the Queue system. why? I never run a successful T2 with pugs...I mean like NEVER. A daily quest will sort it even, why? because people will have all the time to get a good party with their friends and guild mates. With the Queue system, you just forcing people to unwanted s*x
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    There's a huge difference between force and encourage.

There is absolutely, 100% nothing wrong with giving additional rewards for completing tasks at set times. Note nobody really complains on the forums that they can only PvP during the PvP Event.

The difference is the gap in reward value between the options are far too great.
    Players should feel encouraged to do Dungeon Delves during the event but they shouldn't feel like they have to do them during the event in order to get properly rewarded...

And that is exactly where we are at. The problem is that players CAN'T get Epic Drops from every single dungeon (even if it's only once or twice per day) without flooding the market. It's simply not an option.

So the issue becomes what could possibly be given as a reward that wouldn't effect the market in some serious way but would still feel nearly as rewarding as the DD event.

Honestly, again from my own experience balancing content, the developers would be more likely to "nerf" the DD rewards to make them less appealing (which I hope they don't actually do) than to risk flooding the market even more than the current system allows.

dont ge me wrong sir, I dont mind going DD event just once a day, really. the problem is not how many time, but when. dawn? midnight? noon? its not like all the time in the earth is the same, make not every player have the same chances to go for DD
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

False equivalency: PvP event just gives "extra glory". Do it outside the event time and you still get glory.

Dungeons? If you do it during the event you WILL get something, and something you can use. Outside? You have maybe a 20% chance of getting...anything.

If you normally only got glory for topping the PvP scoretable, but during the event got glory regardless...then yeah, you'd totally get people only doing PvP during the PvP event.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The shortcuts are an additional issue I don't argue increases the problem...

But the game's economy is a ticking time bomb until even the Castle Never Loot becomes less than rewarding because the amount of gear, especially good gear, is dropped far more often than new characters are created/reach higher levels.

If the shortcuts were fixed and dungeons took roughly an hour and the players were enticed to play outside of dungeon delves we would be in about the same situation as far as incoming loot.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Let's set some things straight:

Players should be grouping up during the Dungeon Delve event. That's the point. To encourage players to plan and group up. Well it works.
    If the dungeon delve was made X Amount of times per day it would become very hard to get a group of friends to play because if they have been on for a couple of hours then they already did their daily and then wouldn't want to delve again. Major issue.

Beyond that it would DRASTICALLY increase the number of items in the game. The DD event is only as rewarding as it is because players can't always do it.
    If everybody couold do it every day guaranteed it would quickly become broken content.

As for appeasing players around the world: it's random. It's not at the same time every day so it's luck of the draw. The problem is that players shouldn't be feeling like they have to do dungeon delves during dungeon delves. That's the problem.
    morsitans wrote: »
    False equivalency: PvP event just gives "extra glory". Do it outside the event time and you still get glory.

Dungeons? If you do it during the event you WILL get something, and something you can use. Outside? You have maybe a 20% chance of getting...anything.

If you normally only got glory for topping the PvP scoretable, but during the event got glory regardless...then yeah, you'd totally get people only doing PvP during the PvP event.

We have a winner!!!!!! Sort of.
    That's exactly what I have been saying! The dungeon delves is so much better than non-dungeon delves players fail to consider it a "bonus" and see it as a "requirement."

You read the example exactly as I intended you just failed to comprehend the significance. ;)
  • Options
    mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    morsitans wrote: »

It's a good point, could you imagine people running pvp if they only got glory if they were first on the score bored, super unideal. Lucky that is not the case, so people enjoy running pvp at all times. However it is the case in pve because the seals reward poor loot, if the seals rewarded better options it may solve the issue.

I'm sat on 1300+ seal at the moment, and would have many more if I hadn't brought guild members icons for their pets lol.

Just some ideas for tokens:

10 seals = 5 Major healing potions
    20 seals = Potion of transformation (turns your pet into a random critter for 60 minutes - skin only)
    100 seals = 5000 rough astral diamonds
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • Options
    druidofdisasterdruidofdisaster Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2013
    What I would do is lock the final boss area when the event isn't active and give players a key to access the final boss during the event as a reward. It would give people a reason to do DD during off hours.
    I'm not saying it was humans, but it was humans.
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    You read the example exactly as I intended you just failed to comprehend the significance.

Oh I got your meaning, I just felt comparing it to the PvP event was incredibly disingenious.

And honestly, you COULD look at it as "the dungeon delves is so much better than regular dungeons", but given the time taken, the pots consumed (yay righteousness), the high chance of terribad players leading to wipes, and/or supergood players deciding "this group is gonna wipe, I'm out", it's more frequently phrased as "the dungeons are so much worse outside of DD events".

As for increasing the number of items, what you're saying is "if everyone could do X number of dungeons a day, we'd flood the market", which implies that if everyone logged on for DDs, ran as many as possible, and then logged off...you'd have exactly the same situation.
    Which means the current market absolutely, utterly depends on lots of people not being around for the DD events. When a core mechanic relies on LACK of player interaction for game viability, you might just have a problem.

Plus if it was simply X times a day, you might encourage people to run dungeons at the rate they were intended, rather than "ignore those mobs, ignore that boss, jump off here respawn at next fire, we'll get this done in 10 mins and then do another, because we only have an hour".

Still, overall I feel the smartest approach is to make regular dungeons more rewarding rather than add restrictions to DD events. Not least because you seem to have a shockingly entitled playerbase.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The exploits and the shortcuts need to be removed from dungeons. Right now chat is filled with requests for speed groups with players to that know all the shortcuts and "Boss only run" to run X dungeon 3 times during a delve event. This is what is slowly strangling the economy. Dungeons certainly do not need to be shortened, going thru a dungeon is supposed an adventure and feel like an accomplishment. You want a quick hack 'n' slash session, run a skirmish. Of course this means for level 60s you need to be able to run more than just the Aberrant skirmish.

Right now it is extremely difficult to find a group that wants to explore a dungeon which is what you should want to do with a dungeon. For example the Skyking dungeon has chests hidden in all sorts of places, it is a really fun dungeon to explore two or three times to find them all. Hardly anybody wants to do this though. Perhaps if a really rewarding treasure were to be randomly placed in one of these chests each time it was run this might solve the problem and get people to run the dungeon during a non-delve time. Right now people don't do this because they feel the chests are a waste of time, personally I don't but I have come to find I am an oddity in my opinion on dungeons.

While we are the subject, excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is a "preclear run", how can you preclear a dungeon? Since it repopulates after you leave the instance, how can it be "precleared"?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Players should be grouping up during the Dungeon Delve event. That's the point. To encourage players to plan and group up. Well it works. If the dungeon delve was made X Amount of times per day it would become very hard to get a group of friends to play because if they have been on for a couple of hours then they already did their daily and then wouldn't want to delve again. Major issue. Beyond that it would DRASTICALLY increase the number of items in the game. The DD event is only as rewarding as it is because players can't always do it. If everybody couold do it every day guaranteed it would quickly become broken content.
    I agree. but, not the way it does. yes, players can't always do it so it is more rewarding. but by time line? why not just ask the players when they queue the dungeons they go on DD or normal so when they like to go DD only with friends they will go with friends, and DD counter is added just by entering the dungeons so they really need to do it with trust-able group rather than queue and maybe on DD the difficulty is raise a bit. there is many way to give player more option rather than just force them on DD. and yes, I use force because it is on certain time which can be achieve not just by some serious players, but only because they are in the correct timezone, or simply say go by luck, this why I agreed with OP.
  • Options
    aselia669aselia669 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Allow T1/T2 Set items to be obtained through seals at a reasonable amount and make it Bind on Pickup.
    Yeah, I know if this is the case people will farm easier dungeons like Pirates or Cloak Tower, but what I mean is make new seals specific to that dungeon that you could only trade for specific parts of the set.

Just my suggestion :)
  • Options
    xaiim7xaiim7 Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2013

There is not problem that "event" for grouping. But you just can not give absolutely better rewards. Excuse me, but these effects were obvious. It never think about it?

Make any dungeon like DD.
    - From BOSS loot only, can be sell item on AD
    - Items in DD chest bound (can not even sell for gold, can be just destroy for few AD, if succeeds), no there is not problem with items on market

Is there realy that problem motive players going dungeon again? Obviously, you well motivate BOTS for playing PvP....

because, you just dont have any good content. No more PvP, MAPS, STYL of MAPs, and GG on time is one big LOL.

I have 60lv and i do not have any content to play. And if GG remain time event only, i will remove ACC, this last point for me.

This is look as BETA. And GG not save you from BETA tag :)
  • Options
    kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I personally think the delve event would be better off with a shorter time between events (let's say 2 hours) and a shorter duration (30min as an example). Of course for this to work, logging out and back in when you "pre-clear" a dungeon would have to be changed so it no longer works imo, to prevent back to back delve chest farming.
  • Options
    krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xaiim7 wrote: »
    - Items in DD chest bound (can not even sell for gold, can be just destroy for few AD, if succeeds), no there is not problem with items on market

You need to catch up. They have already considered this and decided (rightfully) that they aren't going to do BOP on chest items. But why?

It will kill the game if they put this in, for several reasons.

There are TONS of players who buy zen to sell on the exchange to get AD to buy gear off the AH. If they change chest items to BOP then these players who buy zen, won't buy zen anymore because they can't buy gear off the AH. In other words Cryptic would lose out on money.

Not only that but it removes any desire to rerun a dungeon if you already have the gear if it is BOP. Who's gunna want to keep running the same dungeon over and over for the same stuff they already have? To sell it to an NPC at 1g or a few thousand AD each? No thankx. To help a guildie get gear? yeah you are gunna run it dozens of times to get nothing out of all your time, just to help guildies who are probably going to quit shortly after when they realize they don't have anything else to collect for gear.

Simply put, BOP will kill this game if they put it in. *FACT*
  • Options
    cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think the point amb is missing here is that the way DD rotates around the clock every day, it's impossible as it stands now to actually plan for it. Every time you log in you can never be sure if a DD is 10 minutes from now, 3 hrs, 7 hrs, or whatever. What time may be fine for one individual isn't going to be for another; i.e. I might be willing to wait til Midnight for a DD but you got work in the morning so you can't. THAT is the true failure of the system right there.

I think the system works fine for PUGs, but there really should be an alternative for friends/guilds. Maybe give everyone a timer very similar to the one used for the daily invoke that basically gives you access to the DD chest once a day outside of the standard DD event. This way friends or guilds can establish a set time to get together and run a dungeon that's convenient for their schedule and ensure that everyone gets a fair chance at the DD chest.