test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guardian are over powered in PVP (Discussion)

fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
First off, welcome to the discussion.

This topic, wasn't done on pure impulse. Playing PVP pretty much regularly, I can't help notice Guardians in the last patch have gotten a massive boost in PVP. Playing as a CW myself, in almost all T2 gear. I understand each class has its weakness, and strength.

An example, playing in PVP. During one session. This Guardian hit me once, knocked me back and did a crit that went below half my health, a final swipe then killed me. It came to the point where it took two people just to kill them virtually none of our major attacks were doing anything to it.

They always rush forward stun the person, then in second hit they knock them well below half their half. On top of that their ability to block most attacks, I can't help but notice they're a bit over powered ATM.

I don't mean. I got beat, so I'm going to complain. I mean during almost every PVP Session when there is a Guardian it takes a lot longer to kill then it normally does, combined with blocking almost all attacks and dishing out some serious damage.

I don't think they should be able to hit as hard, or block as well. As a CW, I wear cloth. I know I can die easily. That's my weakness. What's theirs? and before anyone says "play better" I copied my talent points and rotation off the forums.

Care share your thoughts?

Other threads about this issue

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?372472-Gwf-pvp-gods
Post edited by fusedmass on

Comments

• esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    Oh my god... another post about GFs :rolleyes:

As a TR i use my impossible to catch to avoid their knocks, and i pretty much try to stay stealthed as much as i can.

If you see them raising their shield, lower it with your normal At-Wills dont use your encounters while he has shield raised up.

You are a CW... kind of surprising you are having issues against a slow-melee-predictable class.
  • fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    esteena wrote: »

If other people are posting nearly exact same thing. Then that says something. I believe personally its a bit unfair. They're able to block so well. Dish out extreme damage. This isn't limited to PVP. I looked at a Dungeon with a Guardian. He was the highest on DPS by a large number.

Something had to happen. Now its out of balance. I think many would agree.

Editing to reply to above.

I know it sounds strange a class that can cast so far away, then vanish and shoot again is having problems. Its the problem, none of my attacks are doing any serious damage, very little. He's able to take it, then kill me even as I vanish around.

This always wasn't the case. Something had to happen to boost their DPS. Again not limited to PVP. How does a Guardian, rank top on DPS in a Dungeon. Couldn't we admit their is some boost to their damage.
  • esteenaesteena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    fusedmass wrote: »
    If other people are posting nearly exact same thing. Then that says something. I believe personally its a bit unfair. They're able to block so well. Dish out extreme damage. This isn't limited to PVP. I looked at a Dungeon with a Guardian. He was the highest on DPS by a large number.

Something had to happen. Now its out of balance. I think many would agree.

If a GF out DPSing a TR , then a TR horribly suck.

i'm a TR with Paingiver title ( you get it when you deal most damage in X amount of dungeons), I've never got Out DPSed by a GF it is impossible as i hit way way way way way faster!.

As for PVP like i said, it is all about your positioning, Try to dodge his knocks and control him as much as you can. You got 3 blinks and tons of CC, i don't understand how can they easily kill you.
    edited June 2013
    Editing to reply to above.

I know it sounds strange a class that can cast so far away, then vanish and shoot again is having problems. Its the problem, none of my attacks are doing any serious damage, very little. He's able to take it, then kill me even as I vanish around.

This always wasn't the case. Something had to happen to boost their DPS. Again not limited to PVP. How does a Guardian, rank top on DPS in a Dungeon. Couldn't we admit their is some boost to their damage.

May i know your gear score? If it is below 10k then i pretty much understand the low damage you deal.

IF it is higher, then i suggest adding armor penetration to all your offense slots. Many guildies runs with that build and they do just fine.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't think they should be able to hit as hard, or block as well. As a CW, I wear cloth. I know I can die easily. That's my weakness. What's theirs? and before anyone says "play better" I copied my talent points and rotation off the forums.

GF weaknesses:
    -Melee class, no ranged attacks
    -Slow, no dodge, cannot run away from a fight
    -Block doesn't block in a 360 circle(nor should it, that'd be silly)
    -Block is very limited in damage absorption unless specced for in a paragon tree.
    -At wills are not powerful in PvP
    -When guard meter is exhausted, extremely vulnerable.
    -Vulnerable to CC powers

Advantages:

-Good encounter synergy
    -Very powerful vs targets standing in front of the shield and within range of encounters
    -Can take more of a beating than other classes
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I looked at this from all angles. I know I'm a fast class that can blink. I use those every time to my advantage. I use every CC, I can imagine. Its that none of my attacks are doing anything. Even some of my more harder hitting attacks barely gets them down even to half bar.

I'm not only person that thinks this. Keep in mind. I'm in T2 Gear with Rank 4 or 5 Enchants.

It's not my positioning, or tactics or even spells. They are the defined meaning of over powered, the only weakness they have is they move slow. That doesn't matter as many times as I can blink and cast ranged spells. It does little damage. While they do extreme damage compared to mine.

Link to another thread about this

• wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    First off, welcome to the discussion.

This topic, wasn't done on pure impulse. Playing PVP pretty much regularly, I can't help notice Guardians in the last patch have gotten a massive boost in PVP. Playing as a CW myself, in almost all T2 gear. I understand each class has its weakness, and strength.

An example, playing in PVP. During one session. This Guardian hit me once, knocked me back and did a crit that went below half my health, a final swipe then killed me. It came to the point where it took two people just to kill them virtually none of our major attacks were doing anything to it.

They always rush forward stun the person, then in second hit they knock them well below half their half. On top of that their ability to block most attacks, I can't help but notice they're a bit over powered ATM.

I don't mean. I got beat, so I'm going to complain. I mean during almost every PVP Session when there is a Guardian it takes a lot longer to kill then it normally does, combined with blocking almost all attacks and dishing out some serious damage.

I play as a cleric and I don't understand at all why GF's should have higher defense stats on their equipment than clerics get. GFs not only get higher defense but they also get equally as high reflection, are able to self-heal up, and get frontal immunity. One of the key selling points of playing a cleric in D&D is its ability to use the best armors and shields, but not in this game.
    edited June 2013
    I looked at this from all angles. I know I'm a fast class that can blink. I use those every time to my advantage. I use every CC, I can imagine. Its that none of my attacks are doing anything. Even some of my more harder hitting attacks barely gets them down even to half bar.

I'm not only person that thinks this. Keep in mind. I'm in T2 Gear with Rank 4 or 5 Enchants.

It's not my positioning, or tactics or even spells. They are the defined meaning of over powered, the only weakness they have is they move slow. That doesn't matter as many times as I can blink and cast ranged spells. It does little damage. While they do extreme damage compared to mine.

Link to another thread about this

Sorry to tell you that rank 4/5 enchants wont do much in lvl 60 pvp.

Your link is to a thread about GWF's regeneration ability.
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

As a TR i use my impossible to catch to avoid their knocks, and i pretty much try to stay stealthed as much as i can.

If you see them raising their shield, lower it with your normal At-Wills dont use your encounters while he has shield raised up.

You are a CW... kind of surprising you are having issues against a slow-melee-predictable class.

I play PvP a lot, and next to clerics the average CW tends to be at the bottom of the PvP scoring lists. Two clerics along with two CWs in PvP is a quit party immediately type of situation.
    edited June 2013
    I play PvP a lot, and next to clerics the average CW tends to be at the bottom of the PvP scoring lists. Two clerics along with two CWs in PvP is a quit party immediately type of situation.

Two Clerics in PvP are not as efficient as before as their Astrals don't stack anymore.
  • kidbskidbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 294
    edited June 2013

It's funny, I manage to nearly always have the most kills and fewest deaths on both my CW and my GF. Though gear/build is extremely important, so is player skill. On my CW I know exactly how to handle GFs and GWFs. You just need to understand other class abilities and when they are used in order to effectively counter them.

Against GFs always maintain max distance and wear down their block bar. Once block is down you are free to CC them and melt them. If the GF is too close, just blink through them, turn around and CC them. A GF can't block if you're behind them.

GFs aren't OP, they are functioning as intended. Players just need to learn their weaknesses and counter them rather than crying for nerfs.
  • skycrystalskycrystal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    These sorts of threads remind me of the constant QQ about OP Assassin classes in most games.
    As many people have pointed out, GFs have weaknesses. Use them.
    Xiryn - Iron Vanguard - Protector Guardian Fighter - 60
    Lyssa Nadir - Stormwarden - Archery Hunter Ranger - 60
  • jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I guess it is all about the player.

My CW always comes first or second on the ladder while mu GF is nearly always on the bottom or near the bottom.

GF are not good at PVP if their spec is for protection.
    My GF has hardly any decent PVP hits and if the GF did hurt you so much are you LV60???
    If my GF drops his shield he is dead - if my GF does not drop his shield he can not attack and thus is dead.
    GF are the worst at PVP and only occasionally near the end of a session when peeps are tired can I even get any kills - usually I am just assist points.
    We are smashed by TR. CW, and GWF - clerics do not hurt us as much but still can out manoeuvre.
    One on One no chance against any except maybe a Cleric - that is if they know their class. As soon as that shield drops or the guard meter is Brocken it is no fun at all.
    GF have the lowest DPS of any class - if you got crit out good for him :)
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • therouterninjatherouterninja Member Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Your attacks are 60 range, their lunge is 30...take advantage of this. Anyone who gets launched with bulls charge only has themselves to blame as they have to slowly and awkwardly run towards you with their shield up to prevent getting cc'd.

My tactic is to cast COI on them immediately and start shooting magic missiles. Time it so you hit an Enfeeble right before their shield goes down, and then lift them. Enfeeble again, then magic missile, then ray of frost(or ICE knife will often kill them right away at this point). If they block, continue to magic missile, then Chill strike. Kite, etc throughout this process, do not let them get near, or you're dead. Repeat when COI comes up again. In a 1v1 there's not much they can do if you don't let them get close...problem is most will let them get all the way up to them before they try kiting.
    Beholder MOPP4

60 GF(14.5GS) Cersei
    60 CW(12.4GS) Shadis
    60 TR(12.2GS) Dijkstra
    60 GWF(12.2GS) Winnowill
    45 DC(WIP) Daenerys
  • therouterninjatherouterninja Member Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I

Other threads about this issue

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/sho...2-Gwf-pvp-gods

Everyone thinks every other class is OP, not a good measure of reality unfortunately. Rank 4-5 enchants aren't really that great TBH, and weapons and armor enchantments make a huge difference.

Also your link is going to a GWF is overpowered, not GF....
    Beholder MOPP4

60 GF(14.5GS) Cersei
    60 CW(12.4GS) Shadis
    60 TR(12.2GS) Dijkstra
    60 GWF(12.2GS) Winnowill
    45 DC(WIP) Daenerys
  • bitz06bitz06 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I play a GF,TR and CW pretty equally. Instead of QQing that a class is OP, you should roll one of them and understand how it is played. I have no problem destroying a geared out GF on my Rogue, it feels a bit tougher on my CW, but it is still doable. When i'm rolling my GF i really enjoy locking down a CW and the fights against good rogues are fun.

It all boils down to knowing your class and knowing your enemy's class better
    . Make your enemy burn his big skills so you can kill him while they are on CD.

If you think any class is OP, you just don't know enough about them.
    Bitz Maidenhell - GM TSYM

TSYM Website

Dragon Server
  • sanctumlolsanctumlol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 382 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    If a GF out DPSing a TR , then a TR horribly suck.

i'm a TR with Paingiver title ( you get it when you deal most damage in X amount of dungeons), I've never got Out DPSed by a GF it is impossible as i hit way way way way way faster!.

As for PVP like i said, it is all about your positioning, Try to dodge his knocks and control him as much as you can. You got 3 blinks and tons of CC, i don't understand how can they easily kill you.

I have the same title zzzzzz.

Dps GF IS the highest dps in PvE and the highest burst in PvP.
  • noose93noose93 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 38
    edited June 2013
    I play TR in pvp, and what I've noticed about GFs is that if you manage to dodge EVEN one of their abilities, you have significantly bigger change of beating him. So my suggestion (other than nerf) is to simply dodge at the right time. You can clearly see the GF running towards you, and when hes near enough, dodge. I know it sucks when class can stunlock and kill you with 1 rotation, but in the other hand, its really not that hard to avoid.
  • yushirokaneyushirokane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sanctumlol wrote: »
    I have the same title zzzzzz.

Dps GF IS the highest dps in PvE and the highest burst in PvP.

Thats because you prolly are a terrible rogue...this guy again really?
    edited June 2013
    Thats because you prolly are a terrible rogue...this guy again really?

"...this guy again, really?" I wanna see you outdps snuuky. Stop spreading your filth.
    edited June 2013
    "...this guy again, really?" I wanna see you outdps snuuky. Stop spreading your filth.

Try to do more than 12kk in Spell Plague then we can talk.

a GF out DPSing a TR.. HAH...people these days..
    edited June 2013
    Try to do more than 12kk in Spell Plague then we can talk.

a GF out DPSing a TR.. HAH...people these days..

Only 12kk? Also, damage meters are an indicator of nothing. If you're efficient, fights take less time, therefore, lower damage meters.

I've done CNs were I'm at 60M and others where i'm at 20M (both at the top of the damage meters), they don't mean anything.
  • tapp3rtapp3r Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2013
    I play as a cleric and I don't understand at all why GF's should have higher defense stats on their equipment than clerics get. GFs not only get higher defense but they also get equally as high reflection, are able to self-heal up, and get frontal immunity. One of the key selling points of playing a cleric in D&D is its ability to use the best armors and shields, but not in this game.

I agree with this. Where's our survivability..
  • yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    All the classes have an OP side to them, that's one of the nice things about the game. At level 60 its hard to pin down what is OP or not because with the right gear any class should take you out if they get first strike/cc, even if you have great defence.

But at lower levels where you can actually have a fight that lasts longer than 3 seconds, GF do seem to have the upper hand 1on1 and holding points, I guess that's their role really.
    edited June 2013
    Its like since the last patch, they had more damage or able to absorb more damage. Upon meeting a Guardian. I take them from ranged. I blink and use all CC cools downs. Yet despite this they are able to absorb so much damage, none of the spells I do on them doesn't even bring their health down to half.

Now they can charge me. In ONE single move knock my health down to half. Then before I can react they can kill me. I thought the whole each class has its weakness, and its strength. Something has noticeably changed last patch. Which is why you see so many comments and threads about this certain class.

Last patch CW were a bit OP in some areas so they were nerfed. Not a big deal. Would it too much for Guardians to admit, wearing the best protection and able to dish out such extreme damage. Their one weakness is moving slowly, expect that doesn't matter if they manage to use charge.

This isn't a case of, I got beat by X class, so I'm going to complain. This is over period of weeks examining them in PVP. It should at least be looked at.
    edited June 2013
    Only 12kk? Also, damage meters are an indicator of nothing. If you're efficient, fights take less time, therefore, lower damage meters.

I've done CNs were I'm at 60M and others where i'm at 20M (both at the top of the damage meters), they don't mean anything.

12kk without dying at all. if you wipe multiple times you can reach up to 100kk with no problem lol.

and don't compare a long dungeon as CN with SP please...

and yes they are indicators of how much ****ing damage you dealt.
  • salnasalna Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Currently getting 1-3 shooted from GF on my cleric.
    When i see GF in front off me i just run :( if im coming from behind i can root or at least do some debufing on GF.
    But still need keep max distance from GF.
    Hear silence.
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    GFs are the class that kills me most in PvP as a DC. They can knock me out of my Astral Shield circle, stun lock me and kill me pretty much as will while I have NO way to respond in any way. If you have soulforge armor enchant you can recover but minus that you are pretty much toast...
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Now they can charge me. In ONE single move knock my health down to half. Then before I can react they can kill me. I thought the whole each class has its weakness, and its strength.
    They do have a weakness...the back. Attacking a GF from the front is suicide unless you're another GF or a good GWF. You think that shield is just for looks?
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
    edited June 2013
    12kk without dying at all. if you wipe multiple times you can reach up to 100kk with no problem lol.

and don't compare a long dungeon as CN with SP please...

and yes they are indicators of how much ****ing damage you dealt.

It's not about damage dealt, it's about dps. What if the CW pushes 90% of the mobs off cliffs? You do less damage but are more efficient. I have finished SP runs with top damage at 8M and others at 13M or 15M.