test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why do player think free 2 play means they shouldn't spend money ?

abombination247abombination247 Member Posts: 1,279 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
A lot of player complain and cry about it pay 2 win. Of course this game isn't pay 2 win the first person that can prove that ill give ya 10g.

This game is free 2 play. So to me that means I saved 60bucks on buying the game and 14bucks a month on the Sub. Which means in this free 2 play game spending = to that amount makes sense. I mean players will cry ohhh I have no room I have to buy a bag. Just buy one. you already saved 60bucks not having to buy the game. I just think it comes down to greed. For me buying a bag was the first thing cause I love to hoard and farm for gear. I didn't pay 2 win. I just bought something and still saved on not buying a game. This game is perfectly enjoyable though without spending a penny. I just rather show some support and chip in on buying a bag they are only 10bucks so I bought 2.

If you don't think this way. I feel your thinking is wrong and that my opinion but its the opinion that makes perfect sense.
Post edited by abombination247 on

Comments

• Options
    toughguyloltoughguylol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A lot of player complain and cry about it pay 2 win. Of course this game isn't pay 2 win the first person that can prove that ill give ya 10g.

This game is free 2 play. So to me that means I saved 60bucks on buying the game and 14bucks a month on the Sub. Which means in this free 2 play game spending = to that amount makes sense. I mean players will cry ohhh I have no room I have to buy a bag. Just buy one. you already saved 60bucks not having to buy the game. I just think it comes down to greed. For me buying a bag was the first thing cause I love to hoard and farm for gear. I didn't pay 2 win. I just bought something and still saved on not buying a game. This game is perfectly enjoyable though without spending a penny. I just rather show some support and chip in on buying a bag they are only 10bucks so I bought 2.

If you don't think this way. I feel your thinking is wrong and that my opinion but its the opinion that makes perfect sense.

You're basing your argument on the assumption that people would pay 60 dollars for this game and pay 14 dollars a month to play it.
  • Options
    lejdglejdg Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2013
    It's "Pay for convenience" - if you grind hard enough you can get every item (besides the founders stuff) for free... if you don't want that, then you ought to pay a little.
    You don't want to go for 60 DD events to get your BiS gear? so buy it for real money.. this does not at all mean it's pay to win.

pay to win means you can only access end game content / gear by a real money purchase. this is simply not the chase.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Because its called "free to play" not "cheap to play."

The argument that I didn't spend $60 +$15 monthly is not a justifiable reason to require me to spend money. What it is, or should be as you say is a good reason that I should be more willing to spend money (which I personally have).
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    bpskibbenheimsbpskibbenheims Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    People will argue it is pay to win because you can exchange Zen for AD and go to the auction house and buy all your t2 sets castle never drops and have never set foot in the dungeons.

Personally it doesn't bother me one way or the other. I will play the game do the content and have fun. If someone wants to put $1000 into the game it is their money.
    "Confusion is the T-Rex of tire faucets."
    -Sir Bartholomew P. Skibbenheims III, Esquire, Twice Removed

steam.php?id=BPSkibbenheims&pngimg=http:%@^%@^www.backfiregaming.net%@^bartswap%@^bartsig.png&tborder=1
  • Options
    lejdglejdg Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2013
    they should make zen items available for all your characters though. like the mounts are.. its so annoying..
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    People will argue it is pay to win because you can exchange Zen for AD and go to the auction house and buy all your t2 sets castle never drops and have never set foot in the dungeons.

On the other hand, the fact that you can exchange AD for zen (allowing you to get actually useful amounts of cash shop currency) makes it much more "free to play" than many other f2p games out there.

Yeah, sure, I've spent a bit of money on both this and Star Trek Online ($40ish, each).... but I've also, since then, exchanged for much more than that in zen, via the AD and Dilithium exchanges.
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have spent quite a bit of real money on this - bought some bags, bank slots, a companion and quite a few keys.

To me, this is a matter of convenience...sure, I could get the stuff by earning AD, exchanging that and buying those items, but that would mean spending time - lots of time that I simply don't have.

Look at it this way - as long as you have people who would rather spend real cash than time, the rest of you can spend all the time you like in the game, totally free. Without people buying Zen the game wouldn't exist.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    efaiciaefaicia Member Posts: 71
    edited June 2013
    Because, even if I spend $60 initially to start the game and then pay $15 a month, I will still not have enough zen/ad to have *a chance* at everything in game. whereas in a Pay to play game I would have limitless access to everything for those prices. (everyone who plays will have the same access to everything in game, without giving some people a *purchasable* advantage)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daschernachtdaschernacht Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2013

It's actually a good thing that this game is slotted as "F2P" no matter what anyone thinks. Without the ability to get new players to log in with that flag flying, this is a game could not have been released, nor should have been released, for at least another 12-18 months.
  • Options
    nevfenevfe Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Blame the marketing people who have decided to abuse the English language, debasing words like 'free' and 'unlimited'.

Anyone with half a brain realises that a quality game can't really be free - someone has to pay for the servers, the staff have to eat etc. Sadly marketing people like to treat everyone as though they were idiots.
  • Options
    fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Actually, the free to play system has worked differently. For example in TOR. They label it free to play, yet you can still pay a 15 dollar a month sub, get all those perks that are outright denied to you for playing for free. In Guild Wars 2, you do not have a sub at all. Yet you can buy stuff directly off their stores. Bag space is there.

You see there are very different "free to play", I spent 200 dollars on this game. Far more then 60 dollars it would cost out of the box. Yet I spent even more on zen, because you have pay to re-spec, for almost every luxury. I have no current complaint about the system, expect the prices are a tiny bit high considering if you want keep player base engaged.
  • Options
    armenuaarmenua Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I once compared my penchant for online games as an alternative for going to a bar for entertainment... and how much cheaper it was to sit at home on my computer. The way that this company works is that this game, their prices for the simplest things, like a respec, or perhaps even making a craft go down from 2 hours to 10 seconds costs wayyyyy too much money. They nit pick everything to death. They throw out the carrots left and right. Eventually people will get a bit sore from all the pricks on their skin from the prodding to spend money. And i just shake my head at the people who spent $200 on this game. And the influx of all those Astral Diamonds has made the market ridiculous, especially to those who have no problem paying $15 a month as they would in another game. This game is fun, but it is not that much better than many other games out there.
  • Options
    fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    armenua wrote: »
    I once compared my penchant for online games as an alternative for going to a bar for entertainment... and how much cheaper it was to sit at home on my computer. The way that this company works is that this game, their prices for the simplest things, like a respec, or perhaps even making a craft go down from 2 hours to 10 seconds costs wayyyyy too much money. They nit pick everything to death. They throw out the carrots left and right. Eventually people will get a bit sore from all the pricks on their skin from the prodding to spend money. And i just shake my head at the people who spent $200 on this game. And the influx of all those Astral Diamonds has made the market ridiculous, especially to those who have no problem paying $15 a month as they would in another game. This game is fun, but it is not that much better than many other games out there.

I have no regrets about buying the Hero of the Nero. Expect one, I was unaware that past the "Open beta" it would still be there. I was under the impression the unique spider mount, class to play would cease to exist, driving up the value on those who pre ordered during or before beta. Though that doesn't seem to be the case.

This is a great game no doubt about it. I do agree with you on nickle and diming their customers to death. No matter how good game is, players after a while will become frustrated paying 5 bucks to reset their talent points after each patch. Neverwinter can make massive amount of money, while still charging customers.

I just wish stuff like bag space was more open. I bought Hero of North. I spent money on game. So why shouldn't I expect that..back to point, squeeze too much, too fast. You end up losing loyal player base. They should make some things free and keep the rest the same.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nevfe wrote: »
    Blame the marketing people who have decided to abuse the English language, debasing words like 'free' and 'unlimited'.

Anyone with half a brain realises that a quality game can't really be free - someone has to pay for the servers, the staff have to eat etc. Sadly marketing people like to treat everyone as though they were idiots.

I recently DL'd a subscription game that went F2P. Although there are still reasons to play both games, I feel that "That" game is not as much of a cash grab as NW. I have played it for about two weeks or so and I already have crafts that can make bags (although only 3 of 6 bag slots are unlocked), and have had a "rare" (i.e. not starter) mount drop from a zone event. Just having these couple of things happen in such a short period of time there has made it seem like not so much a cash grab version of a sub game, gone F2P. In that game I feel that my "played time" has had value, where as in NW I feel my played time has lesser value. In both games I could have plunked down cash to increase this feeling of value of time, but one has made me work (harvesting/leveling crafting) for what I have and one expects me to pay for what I have as there is no feesable way to obtain them otherwise.

I like both games and will split my time between the two as they are both "entertainment" to me, but there is no doubt that one game has perks that go along with time played, whereas NW simply does not have the amount perks to go with the same time played, even when played under the F2P label.

With this said, I feel more likely to support one of these games with additional cash purchases for things that I will eventually need because they have given me a few things that I "have" to pay for to enjoy the same, in the other.
  • Options
    kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have no problem with people buying what they want. I suggest that at lower rates say dyes they would sell more more in the long run because you change armor so much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    efaiciaefaicia Member Posts: 71
    edited June 2013
    I recently DL'd a subscription game that went F2P. Although there are still reasons to play both games, I feel that "That" game is not as much of a cash grab as NW. I have played it for about two weeks or so and I already have crafts that can make bags (although only 3 of 6 bag slots are unlocked), and have had a "rare" (i.e. not starter) mount drop from a zone event. Just having these couple of things happen in such a short period of time there has made it seem like not so much a cash grab version of a sub game, gone F2P. In that game I feel that my "played time" has had value, where as in NW I feel my played time has lesser value. In both games I could have plunked down cash to increase this feeling of value of time, but one has made me work (harvesting/leveling crafting) for what I have and one expects me to pay for what I have as there is no feesable way to obtain them otherwise.

I like both games and will split my time between the two as they are both "entertainment" to me, but there is no doubt that one game has perks that go along with time played, whereas NW simply does not have the amount perks to go with the same time played, even when played under the F2P label.

With this said, I feel more likely to support one of these games with additional cash purchases for things that I will eventually need because they have given me a few things that I "have" to pay for to enjoy the same, in the other.

Rift is a great game, and Trion a SUPURB gaming company, they incorperated the Free to Play aspects excelently.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You're basing your argument on the assumption that people would pay 60 dollars for this game and pay 14 dollars a month to play it.

Im basing it on that MMO's cost 60bucks when they come out.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    efaicia wrote: »
    Rift is a great game, and Trion a SUPURB gaming company, they incorperated the Free to Play aspects excelently.

LOL, so much for not naming names. You have guessed correctly, although I was trying to keep the post thread related instead of just bashing NW compared to it. I just didn't want a bunch of fanboi's to cry out, "well then go play it, good riddance." As it is, NW has slipped to being played about 40% of the time in comparison....maybe the fanboi's will eventually get what they want if things don't change here. I just hope that PWE remembers the "polish" part of "spit and polish" because right now a large portion of its customer base must be thinking it has been raining for months.
  • Options
    ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Sounds more like you are trying to convince yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • Options
    xenotorchxenotorch Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm relatively happy with the fact that most (and I'll qualify that in a second!) things are not necessary to pay for. You can get by without them and still have a lot of fun. Unless you are obsessed with having the absolute "mutt's nuts" equipment one week into the game. A friend of mine bought the founders pack and is still happily whizzing around on his spidermount - good luck to him (gnashing envy admittedly!)

The only bit I find a biting point is the crafting - without packs/assets/resources it looks very hard to progress as you cannot just upgrade from stuff you pick up. Otherwise not too bad (lower the prices a bit though!)
  • Options
    domushdomush Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

In PvP, the guy who spent $40 on a mount runs more than twice as fast to control points and healing drops as the free guy.

Pay 2 win means a tactical, measurable advantage over those who have not paid.

I'll take my 10g now and you can shut your mouth when it comes to calling people who accurately describe this game as pay2win as 'whiners'. Making accurate, valid complaints about something which is unfair is not whining, it is criticism. Sorry if your precious fanboy ego cannot handle it.
  • Options
    dsolzdsolz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think it is fine with paying to get time saving. But as things are right now, zen store item is on a very pricey level.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    domush wrote: »
    In PvP, the guy who spent $40 on a mount runs more than twice as fast to control points and healing drops as the free guy.

I'll take my 10g now and you can shut your mouth when it comes to calling people who accurately describe this game as pay2win as 'whiners'. Making accurate, valid complaints about something which is unfair is not whining, it is criticism. Sorry if your precious fanboy ego cannot handle it.

Pay 2 win means. You are stuck on content with your guild. The only way to get past the difficult content is to Buy the Sword of the Apocalypse from the cash shop. After getting it then content is cleared. Nothing in this game is too difficult that you need to use the cash shop. So no its not pay 2 win. Apparently you don't know what it means.

Side note. I have the tarmulune bar mount, Heavy inferno nitemare mount I got yesterday from a lockbox. I didn't buy either. I used a normal mount till I got them. And I PvP a lot.
  • Options
    chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Free to Play doesnt mean someone shouldnt spend money.

Unfinished product means dont spend money.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Pay 2 win means. You are stuck on content with your guild. The only way to get past the difficult content is to Buy the Sword of the Apocalypse from the cash shop. After getting it then content is cleared. Nothing in this game is too difficult that you need to use the cash shop. So no its not pay 2 win. Apparently you don't know what it means.

Side note. I have the tarmulune bar mount, Heavy inferno nitemare mount I got yesterday from a lockbox. I didn't buy either. I used a normal mount till I got them. And I PvP a lot.

Nope, the guy you quoted nailed it perfectly. Measurable advantage gained through paying, when all other things are equal. His PVP example is dead on too. Pay the man.
  • Options
    jlanderjlander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    domush wrote: »

The entire game is so small, PvP maps are very small, that I wonder why people spend money on mounts other than they like the skin. I can literally run from camp to the mid point in like 10 seconds. If the PvP maps were bigger you would have a point but they are so tiny a "P2W" mount really doesnt give much of an advantage.

Technically youre right, it does give an advantage but again, the maps are so **** small its very minor. Its definitely not such a huge advantage that you should go around telling people to shut their mouths about it.
  • Options
    jlanderjlander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    Nope, the guy you quoted nailed it perfectly. Measurable advantage gained through paying, when all other things are equal. His PVP example is dead on too. Pay the man.

His example of P2W is an old school one, one that I sort of agree with because todays definition of P2W has been watered down so much by whiners.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    jlander wrote: »
    His example of P2W is an old school one, one that I sort of agree with because todays definition of P2W has been watered down so much by whiners.

Its been watered down by people who think slang in the english language can only mean the sum of all definitions of all single words in the term, which has never been how the english language works. People attempt to rules lawyer that if you cant "win" then its not "pay to win" - which is laughable. WHen they start using slang I pick apart their sentences to show them how absurd lawyering a definition of a slang term is. Everyones talking and typing is so loaded with slang nowdays and its pretty easy to point out that if english slang meant the sum of the definition of each single word, the entirety of the rules lawyering taking place would be nonsense using the same rules.
  • Options
    domushdomush Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jlander wrote: »
    The entire game is so small, PvP maps are very small, that I wonder why people spend money on mounts other than they like the skin. I can literally run from camp to the mid point in like 10 seconds. If the PvP maps were bigger you would have a point but they are so tiny a "P2W" mount really doesnt give much of an advantage.

Technically youre right, it does give an advantage but again, the maps are so **** small its very minor. Its definitely not such a huge advantage that you should go around telling people to shut their mouths about it.

Wait until Gauntlgrim gets re-released. Those in my guild who have spiders were bragging about how easy it was to hunt down those with slower mounts before they get healed.

I like how you 'technically' agree, then try and say it doesn't count. You must have a strong back, moving those goal posts so often. An example was asked for, an example was given. Now quit 'whining' about how I'm technically right and put those goal posts back where you found them.

All that is needed to fix the fairness is to limit the paid mounts to the same speed while in PvP.

Are there other examples of P2W? I don't know. I haven't been fixated on giving the game such a label, I've been busy playing the game and reveling in the occasional #1 PvP spot using my free mount. After all, that gives me more pleasure than getting a paid mount from someone else and bragging how no money was _personally_ spent to gain an unfair advantage.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I can run a dungeon 100 times and never get a T2 Weapon orrrrr I can drop some money and purchase said phat lewts off the AH.

I can farm for my enchants for the next 2 years while getting my face smashed in during PVP orrrrr I can drop some money and purchase said enchants and **** the fresh 60's who are sitting in greens.

PVE side would be pay for convenience.

PVP side is definitely pay to win.