test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

95% of all PUGs Fail

nachofootnachofoot Member Posts: 29 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
...and its your fault. If you can't complete a T1, don't even try a T2 even if you have a high gear score.

Cryptic, its time to dumb down your game for 12 year olds. They can't seem to follow instructions.
Post edited by nachofoot on

Comments

• chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    95% of PUGs don't communicate until after they failed. No one even gives instructions. This starts as early as non epic mad dragon and continues all the way to level 60.

Id rather they didn't dumb the game down. Id rather the learning curve exists.
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    nachofoot wrote: »
    ...and its your fault. If you can't complete a T1, don't even try a T2 even if you have a high gear score.

Cryptic, its time to dumb down your game for 12 year olds. They can't seem to follow instructions.

Not sure how much more Cryptic can (Dumb Down) their game. It's not as if these boss fights incorporate any (Unique) boss encounters. This isn't World of Warcraft we are talking about with awesome unique boss mechanics to challenge raiders. The whole Big Plan of endgame in Neverwinter (AVOID AOE, ADDS, ADDS, ADDS, AOE), that shouldn't be too hard for anyone.

When or If the developers at Cryptic set down and think up a Boss fight that doesn't incorporate crackpot ideas of (Lets smother the players with Adds) then maybe the raiding in this game may have a chance.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • chrono0812chrono0812 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 501 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    95% of PUGs don't communicate until after they failed. No one even gives instructions. This starts as early as non epic mad dragon and continues all the way to level 60.

Yes, (The learning Curve) that is put in place to Thwart the progression of pugs in this game is quite funny. First, the Looking for group tool that's being used by Cryptic is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Plain and Simple, doesn't have anything to do with some magical (learning curve) to prevent pickup groups.

Secondly, the boss mechanics in this game suck, their are none, throwing wave after wave of adds at players in the hopes to somehow baffle them into submission is pretty weak on a developers part. Let us brainstorm some and $hit out a few more ideas to help our end game other then (Oh hey have more adds and those adds will Also use AOE Like the Boss does) isn't unique.

Thirdly, the Over tuned encounters early on for players wishing to participate in dungeon runs is pretty steep. It's not as if the developers of this game borrowed bits and pieces of a More successful game on the market and tried to incorporate those ideas into this game, they didn't. Giving players the options to level up via dungeon, quests,and pvp would have been a much better way to go versus what we have right now in game.

You can't just queue for a dungeon run and expect a window to pop up stating (your average wait time is 14 minutes) and then the dungeon queue pops 14 minutes later. Instead, we have some faulty system in place that doesn't seem to work well at all for players wanting to level up via dungeon. Between the wait time to even get into a dungeon and just plain out leveling the ability to run certain dungeons while questing, I pretty much said screw running dungeons and just power leveled to 60 only doing quests.

If anything Cryptic needs to rework the dungeon queue system as well as come up with new, and unique boss mechanics to challenge players with. Then, maybe we can use the term (learning curve) when end game really does offer a challenge outside of (Oh $hit you best avoid the Aoe, and here comes the wave after wave, after wave,) of adds to thwart your groups efforts.
    Death_knight.jpg

Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor.
    ~Sholom Aleichem
  • sneakyervinsneakyervin Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2013
    chrono0812 wrote: »
    Not sure how much more Cryptic can (Dumb Down) their game. It's not as if these boss fights incorporate any (Unique) boss encounters. This isn't World of Warcraft we are talking about with awesome unique boss mechanics to challenge raiders. The whole Big Plan of endgame in Neverwinter (AVOID AOE, ADDS, ADDS, ADDS, AOE), that shouldn't be too hard for anyone.

When or If the developers at Cryptic set down and think up a Boss fight that doesn't incorporate crackpot ideas of (Lets smother the players with Adds) then maybe the raiding in this game may have a chance.

This reasoning errupted on the GW2 forums too. And I wonder each and everytime I see this reasoning... When did 5 mans in one game get comparable to raids in another? The answer is never. 5 mans are just that, 5 mans, not 20 or 40 mans, no just 5 mans. So should be compared to 5 man difficulties in other games.

Both Neverwinter and GW2 have much better or equal 5 man mechanics compared to WoW. I cant remember a single boss in a WoW 5 man that had an interesting boss mechanic until they made ZA and ZG 5 mans i.e old raids. Most others are the same, dont stand in stuff. Not that ZA and ZG 5 mans were much different. The only slight difference that doesnt really impact difficulty would be switch flipping on some bosses, but it doesnt really add much to the fight.

I farm more enjoy the systems of GW2 and Neverwinter where you have to look out for yourself. Sure there are clerics in this game, but they wont just stand there and spam heal someone like they do in WoW 5 mans. If you dont avoid heavy hits, you will go down. Best thing that has happened so far is the AS duration fix, that pretty much gives AS a 5-6 sec downtime, meaning people need to think and not just take the axe to the face fromt he boss.

edit: And so far I've only failed with 2 PuG, that was one epic Mad Dragon and one epic spider. We just had the wrong group composition, plus a language barrier in both cases with some of the members. Those things happen.
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    chrono0812 wrote: »
    Yes, (The learning Curve) that is put in place to Thwart the progression of pugs in this game is quite funny. First, the Looking for group tool that's being used by Cryptic is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Plain and Simple, doesn't have anything to do with some magical (learning curve) to prevent pickup groups.

Secondly, the boss mechanics in this game suck, their are none, throwing wave after wave of adds at players in the hopes to somehow baffle them into submission is pretty weak on a developers part. Let us brainstorm some and $hit out a few more ideas to help our end game other then (Oh hey have more adds and those adds will Also use AOE Like the Boss does) isn't unique.

Thirdly, the Over tuned encounters early on for players wishing to participate in dungeon runs is pretty steep. It's not as if the developers of this game borrowed bits and pieces of a More successful game on the market and tried to incorporate those ideas into this game, they didn't. Giving players the options to level up via dungeon, quests,and pvp would have been a much better way to go versus what we have right now in game.

You can't just queue for a dungeon run and expect a window to pop up stating (your average wait time is 14 minutes) and then the dungeon queue pops 14 minutes later. Instead, we have some faulty system in place that doesn't seem to work well at all for players wanting to level up via dungeon. Between the wait time to even get into a dungeon and just plain out leveling the ability to run certain dungeons while questing, I pretty much said screw running dungeons and just power leveled to 60 only doing quests.

If anything Cryptic needs to rework the dungeon queue system as well as come up with new, and unique boss mechanics to challenge players with. Then, maybe we can use the term (learning curve) when end game really does offer a challenge outside of (Oh $hit you best avoid the Aoe, and here comes the wave after wave, after wave,) of adds to thwart your groups efforts.

Yes there is SOME challenge in this game whether people like to believe it or not. The challenge is not in the areas you listed however. The challenge is getting everyone to communicate and all be on the same page. It has nothing to do with game mechanics, whatsoever. The company simply cannot code the game to alter the human condition of wanting to put forth as little effort as possible and still achieve their goals without any chance of failure.

When the other option stated was to "dumb down the game for 12 year olds" (who probably school most of us old farts in a game that uses soft targeting and keeping track of cool downs) Ill take all the things you typed any day of the week, even though you put it in a negative context. Forced cooperation is what D&D is all about. Communicate and work together, or get steamrolled by adds because the group is playing as 5 people soloing rather than a 5 person team adding to eachothers strengths and covering for eachothers weaknesses.
  • manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    chai23 wrote: »

I've been getting really lucky with party members who know boss fight, and are willing to breakdown strategy before that fight begins. Makes all the difference. If you are in a PuG, and know the mechanics of the coming fight, please share.
  • dartakxdartakx Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    manholio wrote: »
    I've been getting really lucky with party members who know boss fight, and are willing to breakdown strategy before that fight begins. Makes all the difference. If you are in a PuG, and know the mechanics of the coming fight, please share.

There's no strategy, avoid AoE red circle, control, ignore or dps adds depending on your class. The only skill check in this game it's finding the glitch or exploit to get your instance done in the average 45min time frame or take 2 hours to clear endless trash.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    dartakx wrote: »
    There's no strategy, avoid AoE red circle, control, ignore or dps adds depending on your class. The only skill check in this game it's finding the glitch or exploit to get your instance done in the average 45min time frame or take 2 hours to clear endless trash.

That's a good start, but every fight has some nuance to it. It really helps to assign responsibilities to different players. Makes a big difference in addition to the basic strats you laid out.
  • zxenoszxenos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm genuinely surprised that there are people who have issues with endgame dungeons. Everything past Karrundax can be beaten with 2 people on the boss, 2 people on the adds and the obligatory GF running around with their shield out doing god knows what.

It's possible to be disgustingly disorganized and still do just fine if you just hit the adds and try not to stand in red, and after spamming that fact 30 times in party chat you can usually get someone who's not Brazilian or AFK to give it a try.
  • devlinnedevlinne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That is why i only run with guildies and ALL are on vent.
    PITY,REGRET, AND MERCY are just EXCUSES for the strong not to kill the weak!
  • kaelis33kaelis33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited June 2013
    I have to agree the XP for running dungeons needs to be quadrupled at the very least. I am not even sure why you would want to run them while leveling up? A blue item you will out level in a day..one you can buy easily enough? The XP rewards for dungeons are part of the reason no one runs them. I am just going to skip them from now on....and plus I never seem to have the quest that allows me to loot the final chest.....jeez what a let down.

In short the dungeon rewards in this game flat out blow, the XP is miserable...I mean I swear just ran Mad Dragon and got maybe 2 bars of XP....and I was tanking that mess....too much work so little reward.
  • chizzahchizzah Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You can't blame Cryptic. Some people just want to play the game they way they want to. Some are losers by nature. The rest probably don't understand you. Find like-minded players. And play with them. That's why guild's exist. So losers can team up with losers and winners can team up with winners. Somewhere along the line you have to make that sacrifice either pug and lose or join a movement and win.
  • tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    But!!... if you're a CW and cant stay out of red circles..don't start screaming "its because your dps is soo good that you're dying so much."
    If you're a CW in CN and trying to cast sing next to the gate that leads into Draco don't presume to tell ME( a CW) how I should be killing this boss. (you don't even know where to cast singularity!!!)
    The amount of "chiefs" who are clueless is staggering..and no..I don't usually tell anyone anything unless asked.
  • kaelis33kaelis33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited June 2013
    What I cant stand is like 75% of rogues are garbage...just like every MMO I have every played. Seriously utter and complete garbage. They are so concerned with DPS meter that they run ahead and try to solo mobs, constantly moving away from the group. Then you get there and everything is a mess mobs running around...I wish they would freakin auto kill any rogue that does that.

I know some good players play rogues...but rogues definitely are the garbage class where all the low lifes hangout.
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kaelis33 wrote: »
    What I cant stand is like 75% of rogues are garbage...just like every MMO I have every played. Seriously utter and complete garbage. They are so concerned with DPS meter that they run ahead and try to solo mobs, constantly moving away from the group. Then you get there and everything is a mess mobs running around...I wish they would freakin auto kill any rogue that does that.

I know some good players play rogues...but rogues definitely are the garbage class where all the low lifes hangout.

Is this a joke or satire? Because rogues are used to pull aggro and cc swarms. I do it all the time and sometimes party members yell at me for not going fast enough pulling and ccing. So unless your group completely sucks and doesn't know what to do your complaint is just plain silly.
  • warfluxwarflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Do people actually think it's a sign of IQ that you can figure out the "gimmick" or exploit to complete the t2 dungeons? Oh, the irony.
  • tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    warflux wrote: »
    Do people actually think it's a sign of IQ that you can figure out the "gimmick" or exploit to complete the t2 dungeons? Oh, the irony.

OH definitely..I had a CW recently tell me they were carrying me cause i wasn't in the mood to repel wizards to ledge where they don't die..cant cast aoe and don't respawn. I don't glitch..therefore im being "carried".
  • warfluxwarflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think they truly do believe your ability to complete a dungeon in an MMO is a measure of IQ. That is just so ironic I have to laugh at it. It's funny how people making claims like this usually have the lowest IQ on the planet.
  • aepervius1972aepervius1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 66
    edited June 2013
    manholio wrote: »

Last time I asked about boss strategy I was kicked out of the PUG because I was a newbie, and therefore a weight.
    Nowadays I jsut don't ask anymore and try to learn hard on what i observe.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Last time I asked about boss strategy I was kicked out of the PUG because I was a newbie, and therefore a weight.
    Nowadays I jsut don't ask anymore and try to learn hard on what i observe.

Sounds like you would excel in the company of a good guild. There's many good ones out there that play the game to have fun and learn the intricacies without being an anti-social tool.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
    edited June 2013
    Nowadays I just don't ask anymore and try to learn hard on what i observe.
    heres a good way to ask: "How do you guys run this usually?".."Ive seen it done 5 different ways" This way I get feed back and also can gauge the groups temperament and their openness to new strats. Guilds aren't always the answer. Learned every strat from good players who were mature and in PUGs like me.
  • fusedmassfusedmass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Not true. I been with many groups who complete the entire dungeon, and then some who break apart. Its the not knowing factor. Many do complete it, and many don't to claim to know the actual number is insane. In fact so many pugs start, they recuirt in chat instead waiting in quene.
  • sneakyervinsneakyervin Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2013
    kaelis33 wrote: »

It comes with the class sadly. Many roll the rogue because its the "OMG 1337 num63r5" class. You have one mission, well in their mind you do, and thats dealing damage. Nevermind that the class excells in the melee control department and armor debuff department aswell. People like to see their name at the top of the damage board, thats it. They dont have the mind to calculate what skills would benefit their group most, so they bring the skills that do most damage so they end up as #1. They cant grasp the concept of raising the over all group damage instead of just their own.

If the rogue can pull ahead with 1 million damage over number two with a very selfish spec, thats good in his eyes. But if he would switch a skill or two for more group friendly skills, he could buff the other members damage significantly more.

I run smokebomb and wicked reminder myself, because it brings more to the group. I dont care if I'm just above the #2 in my group or if I'm #2 myself. I very rarely run into rogues that use smokebomb or wicked. Both skills being very nice dps enhancers, both due to the debuff of wicked, aswell as the possibility for dpsers to just stand there and go ape on the enemy during the duration of smokebomb. This combined with other classes daze/stun abilites, some large mob groups will just stand there and get killed.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Guilds are not the only away to enjoy the game, but they are tried and true, and one of the surefire ways to learn the game from those who care about Neverwinter and the community here. There are many good ones who are busy in game doing what they do best, playing the game with like-minded personalities.

I'll tell you where they arent, on these forums whining why they cant find good people to complete Neverwinter's content.

That being said of course there are those that choose to go at it alone, and are very good at it. I've found they are the exception however.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • gdante7111111gdante7111111 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you look at the recommended on the que. It says gs lvl that is recommended, that is a lie you should have a gs of 7 more then that. Example if it says 8.2 gs you should have 8.9 gs, the reason is because some dungeons the enemys are op. Others the last boss and enemys that spawn at the last boss are op, They need to fix this take my advice and you will be fine.

P.S To rogues, clerics, wizards, increase your def and defl. Its also this too, if you have def and defl of a lvl 12 the answer is right there (I just said it.) Plus what I said about the enemys and boss, two in one.
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Stop saying that the boss mechanics in this game are nothing special when something like 80% of the player base is crying that their class is broken or that a particular epic dungeon encounter is too hard. The vast majority of the player base is just not ready for complicated boss mechanics, fact is they can barely handle the simple add control mechanic currently in place. Besides, there will always be room for that in future expansions/modules.

If you visit the class threads you'll note that many are still not even sure how to properly play their class. It also doesn't help that, in this game, there is a very real real and very annoying language barrier. If the developers are intent on making this an international game without any official language then there needs to be a system established in PUGS that will enable players to communicate simple but nevertheless very important ideas with each other. Possibly something with pictures, a map of the area, and icons/labels that will allow players to understand that they should be protecting the cleric, clearing adds, aggroing a particular spawn, whatever.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
    edited June 2013
    tyrtallow wrote: »
    Stop saying that the boss mechanics in this game are nothing special when something like 80% of the player base is crying that their class is broken or that a particular epic dungeon encounter is too hard. The vast majority of the player base is just not ready for complicated boss mechanics, fact is they can barely handle the simple add control mechanic currently in place. Besides, there will always be room for that in future expansions/modules.

If you visit the class threads you'll note that many are still not even sure how to properly play their class. It also doesn't help that, in this game, there is a very real real and very annoying language barrier.

Go see raiderz and then talk.
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Huh, I've had decent luck with PUG's, including some epic fun a couple days ago in FH. Our rogue disconnected right before the boss and never returned. So what'd we do? Give up and bail? Nope! We 4-man'd that mess and pulled out a Win!
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nachofoot wrote: »

People just obtain the T2 jewelry and the undesired T2 sets form the AH for cheap and then rush into T2 dungeons ( I know that form personal experience since I sell a lot of these T2 " undesired dirt cheap gear on the AH everyday ) , hoping they'll eventually find groups during the DD event that will carry them .

My advise for all these players is this - do the T2 dungeons outside the DD event , so you don't waste my and other peoples time while DD is active . That's how you get " EXP" in T2 and that's how you won't get any leavers in the group during the named event .

Above all , glhf .

edit: Please tell the other people in your group while in T2s that you're unexperienced or first timer , they might have the time to explain what's going on or they might kick you who knows . The point of this is not to waste your time and other peoples time .

Feel free to add experienced players to your friends list so you can group up with them in future , regardless of the fact that you're in some top notch guild or not . This way you minimize the luck factor in your next T2 or CN run to minimum . Friendship goes long way in MMOs.
    edited June 2013
    ganjaman1 wrote: »
    People just obtain the T2 jewelry and the undesired T2 sets form the AH for cheap and then rush into T2 dungeons ( I know that form personal experience since I sell a lot of these T2 " undesired dirt cheap gear on the AH everyday ) , hoping they'll eventually find groups during the DD event that will carry them .

My advise for all these players is this - do the T2 dungeons outside the DD event , so you don't waste my and other peoples time while DD is active . That's how you get " EXP" in T2 and that's how you won't get any leavers in the group during the named event .

Above all , glhf .

edit: Please tell the other people in your group while in T2s that you're unexperienced or first timer , they might have the time to explain what's going on or they might kick you who knows . The point of this is not to waste your time and other peoples time .

My gs is 9.1 from this so called dirt cheap stuff, I am going to waste your time think before saying something.