test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why GG didn't live up to the hype

Comments

• leshil40leshil40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    How about make the content not on the stupid every 5-6 hours timer. Make more team mode stuff in pve and pvp. PvP was put into the game, there's no going back on it. Ofc, people will want stuff they had in the past like WoW because PvP was put in the game. The difference here is the combat is actually FUN, but don't ruin its potential with lack of sophisticated modes and systems. I know you can do it. I know you can, I know you can. I think you can...
  • leshil40leshil40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    wingsfor wrote: »
    i kno why GG has a timer. Cryptic does not want us to rush trough all of that new content so we can enjoy the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of it till module 1 comes :P

Two more months of this...yikes... people are already leaving for games that have just went F2p because of lack of things to do.
  • krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What exactly is the appeal of GG anyways?

So you spend 20-30 minutes running around, killing a few mobs to collect broken weapons and armor. But if you zone into the wrong map your side might be imbalanced so even if you put in the effort, you might still lose purely because you don't have enough players on your side to match the other side.

Then you spend another 20-30 minutes on pvp? And once again you can zone into a map that is imbalanced so it doesn't matter if you have good pvp skills or not, you'll lose simply because you don't have equal player to player ratio to compete.

The winning side gets to zone into either the T1 or T2 dungeon? To spend another 20-30 minutes clearing it and fighting the boss for the same loot you can get from all the other T2 dungeons? Thats a total of at least an hour but no guarantee that your side will win and unlock the T2 dungeon. If you lose you are seriously gunna run the T1? So you wasted 40 minutes on a run that you weren't even sure about winning all for the gamble over t2 items?

Oh but I hear you screaming at the screen, NO! there are grym coins!!! New T2 pvp gear! Okay so you get how many coins per run? Anything from 5 to 10 coins. How much are all the pieces? You have to successfully run 3 or 4 runs gaining 10 coins per run to get 1 piece of gear? That is the cheapest piece too. How many runs total for the set? By the time you run it enough, the pvp isn't going to matter because it's just a huge gankfest anyways. What is a few more stat points really going to do? And for what purpose would you need the gear anyways? You are fighting to win t2 gear that you can already get from t2 dungeons.

It doesn't make any sense to me. The t2 pvp gear is nothing different than the drake seal items. Once you realize how many runs you need to do just to get the set, you realize all the effort isn't even worth the pay off. Are you really going to keep running GG after you have your bright new shiny t2 pvp set for t2 pve gear?
  • lostmarblesherelostmarbleshere Banned Users Posts: 654 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    LIke i have said before. I have gave up on anything that gets put out right way from the devs. They will change it up and make it better give it 1-3 months then GG will be designed better
  • bzzzdbzzzd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    krumple01 wrote: »
    What exactly is the appeal of GG anyways?

this. kudos if they really want to try something new (which failed before, but they, everybody has to make his own mistakes), lol if they couldn't see on paper how unattractive it will be.

they really need to have a beer or two with the STO devs. while not perfect (it's cryptic after all) their ideas are still better.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Just because someone is not in a guild, their opinion doesn't matter?

Everybody's opinion matters. Who said his opinion doesn't matter? I was replying to his criticisms, and asking if he was in a guild is a very good followup question.

Those of you who refuse to join a guild, but really really want to play GG, need to direct your request to the powers that be. I am not a game designer. However, I see nothing wrong with guild only questing. Heck you dont even need to be in thee same guild. If you do not wish to join a guild, then this type of quest design is not for you.

If I cant stand PvP, I dont enter PvP content. I may have paid hundreds of $$ for this game... invested thousands of hours into promoting this game for not a dime... but I still am not filled with anger that I'm being ripped off that I cant enter PvP maps/quests... because those quests contain content Im not interested in..

You may not like that reply, but thats my opinion.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
    edited June 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    Innovating? Are you for real? Yeah because alienating half your players is truly innovative. Ask Microsoft how well that worked recently with Xbox One.

And if by "needs work" you mean fixing it. Yeah I guess that's an accurate statement.

Feedback: Get rid of the stupid guild requirement. Let individuals choose their own affiliation.

I like the guild requirement. I think its awesome guilds can have something for them to do.

There is plenty of content in the game that doesn't require guild membership (like every other quest in the game).

Now I'd be all for them creating a GG, or other content just like it that allows non guilded pugs.

As for "needs work"... yeah, that's self explanatory.

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Those of you who refuse to join a guild, but really really want to play GG, need to direct your request to the powers that be. I am not a game designer. However, I see nothing wrong with guild only questing. Heck you dont even need to be in thee same guild. If you do not wish to join a guild, then this type of quest design is not for you.

Why should I have to join a guild in order to play content!? That's not fair!

Just Joking!
    Guys I'm guildless and I'm not sure I'll ever actually join a guild. Maybe Aandre would be so kind as to sneak me into Tyr's as an unofficial official member for content like this, though... *hint hint, nudge nudge*

But overall I'm not big into guilds at all and I'm fine with Gauntelgrym being restricted to guilds. It's one piece of content and even if you're not into the guild scene, like myself, I'm sure you have friends who just like to play the game. Worst comes to worse get a group of friends who don't want to join a guild and make a guild with just a few of your friends.

To me the huge issue with guild incentives is when game developers start dictating garbage like bigger guilds = better guilds = more rewards. Gauntelgrym, as near as I can tell, doesn't do this and that's fine. If you can get five friends together, form a guild and join in Gauntelgrym I don't really mind at all.

I'll stand up and fight with my fellow loners when we truly get spit upon by being told we can't even opt to make guilds consisting of close friends and get similar if not the same rewards as guilds consisting of hundreds of players.
    edited June 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    I'm sure he'll lock this thread because people disagree with him. What's awesome is even people that ARE in a guild and HAVE done Gauntlgrym are reporting that it's... lacking.

I'm about the furthest from a Cryptic/NW hater as can be for the most part (take a look at my post history) but I'm supremely disappointed in Gauntlgrym and how it was implemented.

LOL! We don't lock threads for disagreeing with us. We lock threads for breaking the Rules of Conduct.

I can respect the fact you are unhappy with GG. Its definitely not for everyone. Hell I HATE PvP. But some in our guild are excellent at it. And many wont do it. We will still do well in it I suppose because teamwork is what we are known for. It will be fun for us.

It takes some thought because its a bit different from raids and other large quests in most games. It's got potential to be a lot of fun. But in its current state its broken, and they did the right thing taking it down.

edited June 2013
    Why should I have to join a guild in order to play content!? That's not fair!

Just Joking!
    Guys I'm guildless and I'm not sure I'll ever actually join a guild. Maybe Aandre would be so kind as to sneak me into Tyr's as an unofficial official member for content like this, though... *hint hint, nudge nudge*

But overall I'm not big into guilds at all and I'm fine with Gauntelgrym being restricted to guilds. It's one piece of content and even if you're not into the guild scene, like myself, I'm sure you have friends who just like to play the game. Worst comes to worse get a group of friends who don't want to join a guild and make a guild with just a few of your friends.

To me the huge issue with guild incentives is when game developers start dictating garbage like bigger guilds = better guilds = more rewards. Gauntelgrym, as near as I can tell, doesn't do this and that's fine. If you can get five friends together, form a guild and join in Gauntelgrym I don't really mind at all.

I'll stand up and fight with my fellow loners when we truly get spit upon by being told we can't even opt to make guilds consisting of close friends and get similar if not the same rewards as guilds consisting of hundreds of players.

+1! Haha now that's the spirit Ambi! You make very good points. Absolutely you can join us. This game is about having fun. The people. If you are a loner (and many in our guild are) you can find a good place to hang out if you look. Not everyone is a tool! ;)

edited June 2013
    veiran2 wrote: »
    I've given this game well over $500.00 already, but I don't get to access end-game because I'm not in a guild and don't want to be (have had way too many bad experiences in the past with guilds). Thusly the odds of the company getting any more of my money is pretty non-existant if I get penalized for playing the way I want to play.

Why would I keep giving money to a company who basically denies me access to content because I want to enjoy the game in the way that I want to enjoy it?

Also, aren't you a community moderator? Maybe you should do more moderating and less arguing with players.

We are allowed to have opinions Veiran, because we play this game, and pay for this game, just like you do. We are Neverwinter community folk that have put in literally hundreds of hours, without pay, to keep this site on key, and a happy place. We are all for constructive opinions, and have passed many on up to the powers that be. There's some great ideas that can be useful for devs to hear, and I'm sure they are reading right now.

I think its great you've invested in this game. We have that in common. As for refusing to open your wallet again just because you dont like the prereq for a quest, well, thats your call. But you are not denied content. You can play it. But you are playing a guild event. Therefore, you need to be in a guild.

I would be all for a non guild pug version of GG. There seems to be a demand for it.

• arcademasterarcademaster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yep, but rest assured, this is getting looked into. They are listening... and hopefully they can do something about it.

No they won't. Making everything heavily time-gated is something Cryptic "learned" from PWE. Ever since the game went F2P, they put that stuff all over STO. Timers here, timers there, everywhere. Why? Because it gets some players to log in more and longer. It gives players a nudge so they think "I don't really want to play right now, but there is the DD event coming up and I might miss it tomorrow so I HAVE to...". But do I even have to spell out the bad consequences, how it's bad for player morale and long term retention? But with F2P games, it doesn't matter as long as you push enough fresh meat into the grinder.

When they started time gating everything in STO, there was massive outcry on the forum. Yet Cryptic did change nothing about these things. So don't give players false hope when we know nothing will be done here.

At least in STO there are always things to do, regardless of which event is active. Even outside of the bonus events there are maps that reward sufficient rewards to make them worth playing and there is always dil to farm, doff assignments to hunt.

But in NW? Outside of the DD event, it's not even worth logging in at all when you are Lv60. And this was the case ever since beta launch and they didn't even acknowledge it as a problem. Thinking they will make GG queueing less restricitive is wishful thinking. Plain and simple.
  • nikitaoznikitaoz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    These timers are ONLY good for soloists and easy puggable events/dungeons.
    Blizzard implemented a perfect system.
    First completion of a dungeon/scenario whatever grants bonus. If you want to do dungeon without bonus go ahead.
    If Cryptic wants to limit the amount of runs - add a one day lock-out.
    Players completed the dungeon today. They can do so next day after lock out is over.
    And I absolutely adore the fact that good gear can be purchased in AH.
    P2W with a helping hand of a friend.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    There's a huge difference between things being impossible to do outside a certain time frame...

And the player impressions of whether it is worthwhile.

Comparing the "Time Gating" of Dungeon Delves and Gauntelgrym are two completely different issues. It's literally an apple and an orange.

The devs do listen. Here's the proof. There's nothing wrong with giving incentives to play at certain times but there's a difference between barring content outside a time period and rewarding content within a time period. Gauntelgrym is barring content outside of that range and even I feel that is a problem.

I would imagine, with enough demand, they would be willing to permit players to participate in Gauntelgrym outside of the set time periods with reduced rewards for doing so which would be, in my opinion, perfectly fine. Players should be able to log in and say "I feel like doing this!" and do it. But there's no reason there can't be additional rewards during certain time periods as well. ;)
  • tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It's forced DDs to be further apart..what is the "reason" it "has to be" a guild event? It's only alienated part of your player base.
  • xouk87xouk87 Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2013
    Fact that you have to be in a guild is a flawed concept. That's a fact. People in guilds pay more? maybe because there is 20X more guildless player so in % that may be correct, i wonder how it looks like in pure numbers. IF you like doing stuff with your guild , you can queue Dungeons with your guild or pvp with your guild or quest with your guild or even walk around protectors enclave flexing on the stuff you are wearing. No one should be forced to join a guild so they could play the" new and awesome content" that is available since the game went live. ( cos thats 1 of 2 things going live brought us and we should be psyched about it i guess). Limiting the accessibility has its minuses, liek people who have little time to play wont get on GG cos they don't play in the window of opportunity they can join, but there wont be a bunchy people who play for 18 hrs a day that already have everything from there.
    I personally did not try GG itself because i don't have a guild and since the game went live i have huge lags and restrict myself to playing foundry and leveling my alt ( cos u know my main DC sux... but thats a DC thing to do here lately ). Well probably if nothing is gonna change abt restriction in gg, there will be a) little amount of people who will participate b) a lot of 1 man guild just so people can enter ( i guess being in 1 man guild makes you wanna spent more money too). Well some people do not like to joina guild until they know they are gonna spend some time with the game, and so far for me the game started pretty high in the levels of awesomeness and then constantly started to go donw.
  • axetomouth86axetomouth86 Banned Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Neverwinter's first major content patch and "official" launch ended in disappointment and failure for most people. There's really no reason for me or most of the people I play with to continue logging on. Once you get geared up, the game is over... and I've already geared up 2 level 60 characters.

I've basically given up hope on Neverwinter and Cryptic. There are still countless bugs and exploits in this game, botters have taken over the Enchantment market, and there's still no content to play. After seeing GG's failure to keep most people interested, I've basically lost the will to farm the same few dungeons everyday during DD. I just don't care about the game anymore.

Don't worry though, their next carrot on a stick is already dangling in front of us, conveniently announced the day they released GG. Module 1 will end up as another disappointment whenever they decide to release that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. "By this summer..." OK, I guess that means end of August? LOL, this game won't make it that long.

THIS IS NEVERWINTER! (kick to Cryptic's chest)
    edited June 2013
    GG should be an event where anyone can join in. However, they need to add content for guilds not considered "events" such as 10v10 or 20v20. without timers. The GG reward are just not worth it. The game is 100% lucky to launch in between some of the huge titles that launched last year and will launch later this year and next. Seriously, the "open beta" pretty much allowed players to run through the content to the point where they are now bored at live launch. Adding one profession and GG on a 5 hour timer was bound to get negative feedback.

This is a game driven by the business side (parent company) and why kickstarter games will be more driven by the dvelopment and artistic side. Yes, making money will be a goal, but game design won't be sacrificed as often as it is in games that push them out the door too soon as open beta with a money store taking gamers money while bugs and major exploits are going on.
  • okymaokyma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Gauntlgrym is for guilds members and not for guilds.
    Those who wants to go to the GG event can go in some guilds... in all game i saw, there were guild only there to be a guild, nothing was asked to members. So you can go in those guild to go GG (and have all event, PvP included)

There is only one real problem : events every 6h... so all time 8PM for the evening... (GMT+1)
    And more, the other event (bonus AD on skyrmish, bonus chest dongeon ... ... ...) are blocked too.
    Would be better make a calendar for "general event" and a calendar for GG events (who could be the same for other GG-like event in futur content)

Those who dont cares GG just dont have look the second program.
    And it will allow to break the "all time same hour" of the events.

Sorry for my real bad english, i hope what i wrote can be understood :x
    Bye
  • wewillfailurewewillfailure Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the thing with gg buggin me the most are the rewards. i mean, where is the reason behind farming gg at all? lets do the math: assuming 1,5hrs per gg run, all u get is a few tokens and a tiny chance on t2 pieces.

So what else can one do during 1,5h of play time: in the same amount of time u can do like 3-6 runs on any t2 dungeon / 2-3 cn runs. From this runs u can just get 4-6 times the loot / ad outcome in comparison to gg.

so where is the reasoning behind gg to go there just more then one time? y would just some1 waste their time goin in there, if it isnt rewarded proper. for me this is a big letdown....
    ...and plz dont tell me its so much fun, it isnt, its just a stupid laggy farm fest with stupid design stupid rewards and not even a challenge at all. ah jeah and ofc timewise limitations :)
    edited June 2013
    Nothing will change.
  • cyresofbsgocyresofbsgo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    leshil40 wrote: »
    Guantlgrym is flawed in many ways, but the biggest is the fact that it's on a timer like DD, skirmish and arena pvp timers. Why have guilds in the game when you have no guild things to do other than 5 man stuff? The only reason you need a guild is for the faction setting.

Also, with the way it's on a 5-6 hour timer, guilds can't schedule events on certain nights at certain times because it isn't possible. Also, we need some 10v10 or 20v20 team or guild v. guild events that can be Queued up for at anytime. GG was a sore disappointment for me and my guild. I was having a hard enough time getting them to log in. GG was that carrot, now what's the point? We can't even schedule for it. It could be going when most of us are at work.

Need more game modes. CTF? 10v10? 20v20? Foundry created maps that can be put into rotation? You get the point. The game has decent combat at its core, but it's wasted on modes and systems that either don't work properly or just aren't enough. The dungeon environments are great, but are spoiled by the incessant amount of trash and number of adds on a boss fight. Make the boss itself tough with good mechanics, not tough because 50 million trash adds are kicking the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of your cleric.

simply put the Devs most likely figured it's to easy to get 20 people to do a full 3 part mission when it's hard to just get 5 people to do 3 normal DDs.

and since it's "to easy" to get them together if they can at any time, they decided to limit the times you could que.

( I would place /sarcasm, at the end of this, but really, I'm not sure anymore, if this type of thinking isn't how they think )
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Everybody's opinion matters. Who said his opinion doesn't matter? I was replying to his criticisms, and asking if he was in a guild is a very good followup question.

You were accusing me of wanting everything to be my way, which missed the point I was making entirely. You see, I am the one asking for LESS LIMITATIONS - how is that being entitled or demanding for everything to be my way?

I am directing my request to the powers that be - the customers - the most important people in the equation. Enough support by the users, who fund this game, and it shall happen.
    If I cant stand PvP, I dont enter PvP content. I may have paid hundreds of $$ for this game... invested thousands of hours into promoting this game for not a dime... but I still am not filled with anger that I'm being ripped off that I cant enter PvP maps/quests... because those quests contain content Im not interested in..

Not an accurate analogy. A more accurate one would be you being told that you HAVE TO PVP in order to get to the PVE stuff you like. If the game has many options, and players can choose which they want to use and which they don't, that's a good game. If a game has many options and players are told they MUST use option 1 in order to even qualify for option 2, that's arbitrary limitation that does not need to exist.
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why GG didn't live up to the hype?

I'd love to weigh in on all the OP just said, but GG has been down every time I've wanted to even try it. /Cryptic FAIL
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There's a huge difference between things being impossible to do outside a certain time frame...

And the player impressions of whether it is worthwhile.

Comparing the "Time Gating" of Dungeon Delves and Gauntelgrym are two completely different issues. It's literally an apple and an orange.

The devs do listen. Here's the proof. There's nothing wrong with giving incentives to play at certain times but there's a difference between barring content outside a time period and rewarding content within a time period. Gauntelgrym is barring content outside of that range and even I feel that is a problem.

I would imagine, with enough demand, they would be willing to permit players to participate in Gauntelgrym outside of the set time periods with reduced rewards for doing so which would be, in my opinion, perfectly fine. Players should be able to log in and say "I feel like doing this!" and do it. But there's no reason there can't be additional rewards during certain time periods as well. ;)

Right exactly - this mimics how delves and skirmishes are already done. I can do one any time I want, but if I do it at the time the event for it is up, I get extra rewards.
  • sludge01sludge01 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The problem isn't the guilds. The problem is that it was advertised as 'epic', when in reality, it is anything BUT epic. There are NO 20 man groups, working together to solve a problem. I played gaunt 1 time on live, and here's what I saw.

Part 1: 5 guildies and I entered gaunt. We got piled up with a ton of other people. Everyone ran around like chickens, collecting stuff. We watched the counters, and, we lost.

Part 2: again, we queued up with 3 random groups of 5 people, and zoned to a so called 'pvp' map with like 6 points. We got spanked. Again, no 'epic' feel to it, just 4 groups of 5 people running around. NO WAY to communicate between groups. NO WAY to coordinate. fail.. epic fail..

Part 3: We got the T-1 dungeon. What, no 20 man dungeon? Just a regular, and very short T-1 dungeon. We finished in about 15 min, and got <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> loot.

Summary: At NO POINT did this feel 'epic'. It's 4 groups of 5 random people running around for the first 2 parts. Sure, you 'call it' 20 man, but it's NOT. It's 5 Man. Period. No 20 man pve, no 20 man pvp, no 20 man epic dungeon. It's a rip off of everthing we've seen before. It's not epic, it's not even fun. It's on a timer, which makes it useless. It's.. for lack of a better term, pointless. It's like doing PVP when you already have 25K glory. You can't get any more, so why even bother to win?

Gaunt is an epic failure, made more so because the PROMISE it would be EPIC for 20 people. It's NOT, It's not even close to 'epic'. It fails on so many levels..
  • zlainfurryzlainfurry Banned Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This chai guy sure cries a lot. Just quit man. Games dead, and you are a self centered moron playing an MMO. o and PWE, you totally fail as a company. I had the misfortune of seeing your horrible ways in Forsaken Worlds, don't know why i thought it would be different here.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    We can assume time-gated events are here to make you play longer, because if you play longer, you will have more interest for what's in the store.
  • venger0405venger0405 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Timer system is stupid....I log on no DD, no GG going I log out and log into Rift which is fre and I can play whatever I want when i want. Don't get me wrong I would rather play neverwinter but when there is nothing to do there is nothing to do so why waste my time and possible $$$ on a game where I just sit in the city and watch a timer...

Timer system is the worst design i have ever seen in a MMO over the last 10 years....
  • zlainfurryzlainfurry Banned Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Uhh didn't spam anything, gave my opinion on a game that started open beta and is pretty good so far. There is significantly more potential in that game now in its early stage, then there is for NW now with it being released. There is already more to do in that game over all then this one and in a way that isn't limiting at all.

Bunch of people here are thinking of quitting and since this is a F2P game i assume most people will look for other F2P games to move to. Here is a suggestion.

It's also ran by Sony, So it's not Chinese controlled.