test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Devs, the players obviously want new classes...

wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
You took the easy way out of designing more animations by pigeon holing us into very restrictive class builds. Then only gave us five builds. This is not acceptable. Players want options. Players want to feel unique. Sure, we have aesthetic differences, but my character is pretty much identical to every Trickster Rogue of my level in terms of what I can do. The only difference is in the gear. People are leaving in droves, and it's hard to get any of my D&D buddies to give this game a chance once they discover how limited the class system is. Please, drop everything else, and get to work on this. We don't need nerfs and buffs. We don't need more mounts. We don't need more companions. We don't need a dungeon that only guilds can participate in. We need classes. And LOTS of them, fast. Not just one or two every six months.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by wuhsin on

Comments

• cinj216cinj216 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If people are "leaving in droves" because they think the developers are capable of waving a magic wand and giving you what you want right this instant, then I can't say I'm sad to see them go.

A rise in the average IQ of this playerbase is not a bad thing, it's a good thing.

ddp_awesomeface_display_image.jpg?1288297920
  • sforcessforces Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Imma write you an IOU check for a couple forum karma.

But yeah I'm saving up and as soon as I can afford gw2 I'm gone.

I am not a huge D&D fan but my wife is. She grew up on it.

And as soon as I said the classes she flipped a brick and was like

"They didn't even have the decency to put in an archer!!" (with some colorful vocabulary thrown in.

But yeah the lack of classes and class builds is a joke. IDC if you had to be in development stage for another year, in mmos you NEED classes.

Hell instead of letting everyone do professions, you could have made profession classes, a blacksmith and an alchemist, 2 classes right there and let their "skill" points go toward improving base eq they produce.

But yeah, this game is going downhill. Takes 1 week of casual gameplay to get to 60 and with 2 weeks of decent try hard-ness you can have the best eqs in the game. Depending if you spend money or not.

Not much about this game was thought out.

And I know that people say "well its only been out for a month"

And that's fine, however mmos are competitive. I spent $20 on this game, was planning on easily spending $400+ a year, but my money is gonna have to go to gw2..it looks way better.
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No, I want the stuff we have fixed.

Classes can wait until the game is less of a buggy mess.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sforces wrote: »

"They didn't even have the decency to put in an archer!!" (with some colorful vocabulary thrown in.

But yeah the lack of classes and class builds is a joke. IDC if you had to be in development stage for another year, in mmos you NEED classes.

Hell instead of letting everyone do professions, you could have made profession classes, a blacksmith and an alchemist, 2 classes right there and let their "skill" points go toward improving base eq they produce.

But yeah, this game is going downhill. Takes 1 week of casual gameplay to get to 60 and with 2 weeks of decent try hard-ness you can have the best eqs in the game. Depending if you spend money or not.

And that's fine, however mmos are competitive. I spent $20 on this game, was planning on easily spending $400+ a year, but my money is gonna have to go to gw2..it looks way better.

GW2 has a little more diversity, but it's not WAY better than this. GW1 was vastly superior in terms of customization IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drakeos99drakeos99 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Guess no new class major failed Neverwinter -sigh- cause hasnt been mentioned in dev post AT all which your gonna lose alot of player base if you dont release new classes
    Drakeos Lightblade - Human - Oathbound Paladin (Protection) (MAIN)
    Drakeos Shadowbow - 60 Combat Pathfinder Hunter Ranger (Alt/retired)
    Falados - Drow (Mez) Level 60 Trickster Rogue - Offically retired
    Drakeos - Drow (Mez) Scourge Warlock/Druid (retired)
  • krewcifykrewcify Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    drakeos99 wrote: »
    Guess no new class major failed Neverwinter -sigh- cause hasnt been mentioned in dev post AT all which your gonna lose alot of player base if you dont release new classes

I've heard this being said over and over, sadly I agree
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    sforces wrote: »

You spent $20 on this game and planned to spend maybe $400 on it over the course of the year but as soon as you save money for GW2 your off?

I think your talking utter smack and havent spent a penny but same as yours its just an opinion
  • rolandredtiderolandredtide Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This game has as many classes and possible builds as Diablow III - I hate that pile. I'll play this. 5 Classes isn't how it's going to stay. Learn patience, children. Looking forward to the Ranger, myself, but more interested to hear when the Monk, Pallie, and Warlock will hit. Until then I'll be playin' NW, and coming to the forums once in a while to laugh at the whiners. ;)
  • riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    More classes probably coming in Fury of the Feywild.
  • babyerlbabyerl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This game has as many classes and possible builds as Diablow III - I hate that pile. I'll play this. 5 Classes isn't how it's going to stay. Learn patience, children. Looking forward to the Ranger, myself, but more interested to hear when the Monk, Pallie, and Warlock will hit. Until then I'll be playin' NW, and coming to the forums once in a while to laugh at the whiners. ;)

Patience isn't really the problem here. There is also way less builds than D3 (which I agree was a pile of ****), and D3 isn't even an MMO. Just because each class has 3 paragon trees doesn't mean for a second that any or all of them are viable. The best build for a Guardian Fighter is their DPS tree, does that make any sense? There is an extreme lack of endgame content and like the OP said, it's too easy to reach endgame and get your BiS gear. Running poorly designed 5-mans whose main boss strategies are "kite the adds and burn the boss" isn't going to keep any serious MMO-er's attention for long. People are maxing out and moving on and the only way to keep them coming back is to create more content. They haven't garnered much trust in the playerbase as far as endgame content, so creating more classes and diversity seems to be the best option.

Also, this is D&D. A game concept that has literally thrived on its inherent customization ranging from character to quest. How does this game set itself apart from other MMOs right now aside from the Foundry system which is fairly limited as well? How does Neverwinter identify as a D&D game besides taking place in Faerun, one of many D&D settings? There should be a much more flexible class system and everyone is talking about it in some capacity, whether about expanding the current options or adding new classes. Personally I was appalled that there wasn't at least the entire set of main core classes. Druid, Ranger, Bard, Pally, and Monk should have made the release build for sure. And what then? Will there be 3 types of druid, 3 types of ranger, etc... We already have two fighters so we know it's going to look something like that.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm not going to be all doomsday preacher-ish and say people will leave in droves or anything. But more classes are very important. Players like to attach to their characters. The more choices they have, the more likely they can find one to attach to. Especially in a game where we know its intended to have a lot of classes to pick from later on.

Personally I find it hard to attach to my TR or CW. Knowing that as soon as we can role a two blade ranger or scourge warlock they will be relegated to alt status. But the reality is we will get the classes when they come and not before. They'd release them if they were done.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • gaatorgaator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    During SMITE's beta (I participated in alpha, CB and OB) they were releasing a new character in a little under a month at a time. I do realize a new class means designing and modelling a whole new wardrobe but seriously, youve been paid. Its time to start hiring artists. I know they are out there, Im a jobless artist myself.
  • kenjioyamakenjioyama Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    babyerl wrote: »
    Patience isn't really the problem here. There is also way less builds than D3 (which I agree was a pile of ****), and D3 isn't even an MMO. Just because each class has 3 paragon trees doesn't mean for a second that any or all of them are viable. The best build for a Guardian Fighter is their DPS tree, does that make any sense? There is an extreme lack of endgame content and like the OP said, it's too easy to reach endgame and get your BiS gear. Running poorly designed 5-mans whose main boss strategies are "kite the adds and burn the boss" isn't going to keep any serious MMO-er's attention for long. People are maxing out and moving on and the only way to keep them coming back is to create more content. They haven't garnered much trust in the playerbase as far as endgame content, so creating more classes and diversity seems to be the best option.

Also, this is D&D. A game concept that has literally thrived on its inherent customization ranging from character to quest. How does this game set itself apart from other MMOs right now aside from the Foundry system which is fairly limited as well? How does Neverwinter identify as a D&D game besides taking place in Faerun, one of many D&D settings? There should be a much more flexible class system and everyone is talking about it in some capacity, whether about expanding the current options or adding new classes. Personally I was appalled that there wasn't at least the entire set of main core classes. Druid, Ranger, Bard, Pally, and Monk should have made the release build for sure. And what then? Will there be 3 types of druid, 3 types of ranger, etc... We already have two fighters so we know it's going to look something like that.
    I agree wholeheartedly with what babyerl posted. We need more classes and now.
  • renegademarshalrenegademarshal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 83
    edited June 2013
    A new class will probably come along with new paragon trees.

Which means changes to existing feats.

If they are only adding one tree to each existing class, that's about 40 new skills + the base skills of a new class and ~ 16 paragon skills for that class, along with reworked feats. Add 2 paragon trees instead of 1? 102 new paragon skills.
    wuhsin wrote: »
    We don't need nerfs and buffs. We don't need more mounts. We don't need more companions. We don't need a dungeon that only guilds can participate in.

Who is this "we?" That is only you and the few people who agree with you.
    We need classes. And LOTS of them, fast. Not just one or two every six months.

Hell no. Two or three every six months is perfectly fine. That's more than can be asked of any MMO currently. Do you really think that new classes, skills, trees, and feats just poof out of the air free of bugs and exploits and are perfectly balanced? Cryptic can barely manage five classes, and some are still bugged.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well considering the current classes we have are still fairly bugged and out of balance. And we have a loot system that few, if anyone, is happy with. Do you honestly think adding more to the pile is the best option?

Now i'm not saying that we don't need more classes. We do. But rushing ahead on this, simply for the sake of appeasement, when there is so much still undone seems foolish.

Personally, the idea to push the launch forward with the bare minimum, and build on it from there. Was a poor idea. The game shoulda had more to start with. But you cant unbreak eggs. This is what we have, and id rather we stick to the plan, as slow as it might be. Then to rush classes in, just because people want them now!
  • rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    You took the easy way out of designing more animations by pigeon holing us into very restrictive class builds. Then only gave us five builds. This is not acceptable. Players want options. Players want to feel unique.

I could make nothing but human fighters in games for the rest of my life, and every one of them would be unique.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
    edited June 2013
    Who is this "we?" That is only you and the few people who agree with you.

You're keen on defining things, aren't you? The we is him and the people that agree with him, yeah, duh. And it's more than just a few, so open your eyes pal. All you've done is define parameters and I don't think you understand the direction they are taking with the paragon "classes". They will not be adding more trees to the classes anytime soon, that would be ludicrous. They will tweak and rework but you're looking at the hunk of it already. You don't actually gain anything right now by choosing your paragon, it only allows you to progress further in the Power Tree. Your power tree choices do not affect your feat tree choices. There is no room for expanding the current system without doing what you're suggesting, which is ridiculous. So let's stop being silly and realize what the best option for change is.

One class at a time means that they have to provide an incentive for you to continue playing your current main class, which doesn't exist in the current game content. If you slow leak the classes, people will be oversaturating the newest one and leaving the older classes in the dust. Another factor that leaves players feeling detached from their characters. Multiple classes released together means that people get to try out the classes that they like and maybe people start buying character slots because they have all these choices to try. The classes that already existed will be abandoned by people who are bored with them or just want something new, but the idea is that groups will have more diversity and in turn, dungeons will have more strategies. Which strikes at what all serious MMO players play MMOs for; the excitement of conquering complex fights using teamwork and strategy. This also means that new players will be able to pick up the original classes without feeling like their role is overplayed or unnecessary. The game has a serious lack of content and depth, and MMO vets know well by now when to give up on a game.
    edited June 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Well considering the current classes we have are still fairly bugged and out of balance. And we have a loot system that few, if anyone, is happy with. Do you honestly think adding more to the pile is the best option?

Now i'm not saying that we don't need more classes. We do. But rushing ahead on this, simply for the sake of appeasement, when there is so much still undone seems foolish.

Personally, the idea to push the launch forward with the bare minimum, and build on it from there. Was a poor idea. The game shoulda had more to start with. But you cant unbreak eggs. This is what we have, and id rather we stick to the plan, as slow as it might be. Then to rush classes in, just because people want them now!

Agreed, they rushed the live build as it is and you can't just shove classes into the game because of balance issues. What is killing everybody the most is Cryptic's unwillingness to even discuss future class options. If I had my way, they wouldn't have gone "live" until we had more classes, more in depth end game, less bugs and less "buy this thing so you can do that thing". The economy of free to play w/ microtransactions is completely artificial anyhow. You can get BiS too quickly and everything feels so cheap.
  • riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kenjioyama wrote: »
    I agree wholeheartedly with what babyerl posted. We need more classes and now.

Druid, Ranger, Bard, Pally and Monk are not core classes.
    Monk is far from being a core D&D class.

More classes are in the works.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'd rather them fix the bugs/exploits in this game first before shoving more stuff into the game.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cinj216 wrote: »
    If people are "leaving in droves" because they think the developers are capable of waving a magic wand and giving you what you want right this instant, then I can't say I'm sad to see them go.

A rise in the average IQ of this playerbase is not a bad thing, it's a good thing.

ddp_awesomeface_display_image.jpg?1288297920

D....D.... P.

"Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% how you React to it, Stay Strong, Be Unstoppable." DDP

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    At the current rate it will take over two years just to finish releasing the classes in Player's Handbook 1. As a D&D player I want this game to be more like D&D, and less like an MMO. So what if all the classes don't deal the same amount of damage? So what if a cleric is tough to kill if he heals himself? That's just how it is in D&D games.. You can tinker with the mechanics of a game and nerf classes all day long... At the end of the day you'll still have PVPers whining that a certain enchantment or paragon path is rigged. More classes would actually make a lot of D&D players happy and content to play this game. Are some of you REALLY saying the whims of some fickle PVPers getting their arses handed to them daily are more important than the long-term happiness of the D&D players this game was promised to be made for and the longevity of this game?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    Here's what I agree with:
    There is also way less builds than D3 (which I agree was a pile of ****), and D3 isn't even an MMO. Just because each class has 3 paragon trees doesn't mean for a second that any or all of them are viable. The best build for a Guardian Fighter is their DPS tree, does that make any sense? There is an extreme lack of endgame content and like the OP said, it's too easy to reach endgame and get your BiS gear. Running poorly designed 5-mans whose main boss strategies are "kite the adds and burn the boss" isn't going to keep any serious MMO-er's attention for long. People are maxing out and moving on and the only way to keep them coming back is to create more content. They haven't garnered much trust in the playerbase as far as endgame content, so creating more classes and diversity seems to be the best option.

Here's what I don't:
    Patience isn't really the problem here.

Patience is key, period. The OP here is just yet another load of bull, yet another Chicken Little, from someone who wants it all and wats it NOW. Solution: Patience. Rome was not built in a day. To go back to Diablo... the second title in the seires was merely "good" on release, it wasn't until the the expansion that it became what we remember it as: "great".

In the case of most, if not all, MMOs, Day One release versions are works-in-progress. I have a lot of experience with this: Ultima, Shadowbane, Guild Wars, to name a few. Day One, or Version 1.0, of MMOs, hell of MANY games, is never as good as the game ends up being down the line. Or in Cryptics history that I was a part of - City of Heroes? Crappy in Issue 1, but by Issue 3 or 4 it started getting good (partly because Jack Emmert was told to stop jacking with stuff, the first but not last time Cryptic would have to do that).

So, yeah, patience is the key. Those who don't have it, tend to cry DOOOM, like this thread right here. Me? I'll wait - since, you know... good things are worth waiting for.
  • exarchcathedraexarchcathedra Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    Druid, Ranger, Bard, Pally and Monk are not core classes.
    Monk is far from being a core D&D class.

Ranger, Bard, Paladin, and Monk are not core classes? Wow, 4E is worse than I ever suspected.
  • xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Are some of you REALLY saying the whims of some fickle PVPers getting their arses handed to them daily are more important than the long-term happiness of the D&D players this game was promised to be made for and the longevity of this game?

I've played every Neverwinter video game since 1991, and they all had pvp. The last Official D&D product I purchased was D&D miniatures, back when it was a DCI sanctioned tournament pvp game.

D&D itself was based on an earlier game called Chainmail, which was a purely pvp.

Pvper's have been here since the start. We are not as fickle as you seem to think, so long as we are given the proper product support we need.
    edited June 2013
    Ranger, Bard, Paladin, and Monk are not core classes? Wow, 4E is worse than I ever suspected.

Well, he's off base since the devs have already dropped enough hints that the Ranger will be in Module 1 that I'm almost to the point of thinking it's a lock.
  • chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    While i agree that this game lacks in race/class diversity, imoptomistic. No one wants to wait but as long as they start adding in options at a decent rate ill be happy. I was very disapointed that i ca t play a warlock like i do in my tbale top group, i know theyll add them in. The only thing that i really hate about this is it forces you into buy respec tokens and rerolling characters. I just hope at least with this first module well get more options for class and just as important new paths for the existing classes. For whT its worth i really like the game overall, lets just hope it gets bstter overtime without to heavy on the time side.

As a side note theyre adding new weapons and armor models in the upcoming feywild module, and im VERY excited for this.
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
  • chelseacrafterchelseacrafter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Anyone else have the impression that they published a half complete game and that is why there are classes missing and paragon paths missing... even down to the only having one place in the whole game to get your mail from?

It just seems half baked.
  • chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    I've played every Neverwinter video game since 1991, and they all had pvp. The last Official D&D product I purchased was D&D miniatures, back when it was a DCI sanctioned tournament pvp game.

D&D itself was based on an earlier game called Chainmail, which was a purely pvp.

Pvper's have been here since the start. We are not as fickle as you seem to think, so long as we are given the proper product support we need.

While i agree that pvp is important, its rarely the biggest part of the game, it also takes constant balance tweaking as the new flavor of the month comes around. I really think its a bad idea to hold of new class and path choices for the sake of pvp. New classes will take a bunch more balance tuning so i think it would be better to just get them out and go from there.
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
  • mutepoint1mutepoint1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited June 2013
    Ranger and paladin are core classes from the players handbook from 4th edition. Not sure about Bards.. It's been a while since I looked at that book. Mostly because it felt too MMO-y to play sitting around a table... As an MMO it works.

I very much want to play different classes... Druid, paladin, monk... Some of my favorites.

I do understand the need to limit equipment types to classes as well. If you can equip anything you're proficient in, then you have fighters rolling need on rogue gear. (Don't pretend it wouldn't happen... We all know better!) However, different model options for each level would be nice.. Or even a full customization thing like in Neverwinter Nights, where you could use the crafting skills to modify the appearance of your weapons and armor. Note, I'm not saying that you make all customization options open to all.. Just give a few different looks for each part of the armor, and the different parts of the weapon. Hell, you could even sell customization packs on the zen store. Make some more money while making people happier.