test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Devs, the players obviously want new classes...

2»

Comments

• Options
    rolandredtiderolandredtide Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Mute, the funny thing is they're already commited to doing that with the Weaponsmith Proffesion they announced via the "We're Live" News page. Armor too, shouldn't be too much to expect them to do that, then again with the Alchemist inks they already have, somewhat.

As for new classes, Monk is far and away at the top of my list. Pally is on there too, but seriously, give me a s***kicker to punch zombies and dragons and I'm a happy man, and likely no matter how long the wait it'd all be worth it once I had a monk standing atop a big pile of freshly kicked, punched, and headbutted corpses.
  • Options
    wartimeraiderwartimeraider Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    dont forget the lack of power/paragon paths. Everyone having the choice of 5 spells just sucks :P
    timeraiderlogo2smaller.gif

Elf Control Wizard - Dragon
  • Options
    babyerlbabyerl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    Druid, Ranger, Bard, Pally and Monk are not core classes.
    Monk is far from being a core D&D class.

More classes are in the works.

Well, I don't know who died and made you king nerd, but the SRD would beg to differ with your useless post. You can't just make a statement like that without any logic or reference to back it up.

http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/classes.htm

Base, or "CORE" classes are listed on your left. So you can cut the fanboy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out. "More classes are in the works". Bite my ***, everyone knows they're working on more classes. We want to know WHICH ones and WHEN will they be out.
  • Options
    melanie2781melanie2781 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This game has as many classes and possible builds as Diablow III - I hate that pile. I'll play this. 5 Classes isn't how it's going to stay. Learn patience, children. Looking forward to the Ranger, myself, but more interested to hear when the Monk, Pallie, and Warlock will hit. Until then I'll be playin' NW, and coming to the forums once in a while to laugh at the whiners. ;)

Love seeing someone say exactly what I'm thinking for once around here - like you read my mind...
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I tend to agree, hopefully they're smart enough to put in code that makes drops depend on the classes in the team.

It would be awkward for GWF gear to drop and make people remember it's a class.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    There is just a difference of opinions. I personally think this game shouldn't fly under the D&D flag if all it has done is used the lore and named some abilities after some things. They were extremely premature on the release. "Forgotten Realms" would suffice for a title. Likening this game to D&D is almost insulting.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So, yeah, patience is the key. Those who don't have it, tend to cry DOOOM, like this thread right here. Me? I'll wait - since, you know... good things are worth waiting for.

Trust me friend, I've played MMOs for the better part of a decade. I've grinded away at farming mats and working strats. I've wiped hundreds of times on the same boss, week after week for years. I've bled, sweated, and cried over MMOs waiting for a certain buff or nerf. I can safely say this is not a patience issue for me. Which leads me to believe that my case probably isn't special and there is probably a lot of other people who have the patience for these games that are pissed off about this game launching with 5 dull classes and almost zero discussion of future class expansion. I don't care how long it takes, I want a schedule. Doesn't have to be precise, I just want to know it's coming and relatively how far away.

So you can stow that pompous BS and stop pretending that other people's opinions matter less than your own. I'm not crying doom, just expressing my opinion and stating facts. People ARE topping out their gear too easily and they ARE quitting. You can't just replace lost players with new ones. That isn't the goal and you eventually run out of new players. The goal is to keep players playing, and their current model isn't accomplishing that. So yeah, I'll hold out until there isn't anything else to accomplish. And by then there had better be something else fresh and exciting or I'll just cut my losses and quit. Nobody wants to invest all of this time in a game only to be let down by the Devs. Especially a game where hard work and time can be eclipsed by somebody with a fat wallet.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    babyerl wrote: »
    Trust me friend, I've played MMOs for the better part of a decade. I've grinded away at farming mats and working strats. I've wiped hundreds of times on the same boss, week after week for years. I've bled, sweated, and cried over MMOs waiting for a certain buff or nerf. I can safely say this is not a patience issue for me. Which leads me to believe that my case probably isn't special and there is probably a lot of other people who have the patience for these games that are pissed off about this game launching with 5 dull classes and almost zero discussion of future class expansion. I don't care how long it takes, I want a schedule. Doesn't have to be precise, I just want to know it's coming and relatively how far away.

So you can stow that pompous BS and stop pretending that other people's opinions matter less than your own. I'm not crying doom, just expressing my opinion and stating facts. People ARE topping out their gear too easily and they ARE quitting. You can't just replace lost players with new ones. That isn't the goal and you eventually run out of new players. The goal is to keep players playing, and their current model isn't accomplishing that. So yeah, I'll hold out until there isn't anything else to accomplish. And by then there had better be something else fresh and exciting or I'll just cut my losses and quit. Nobody wants to invest all of this time in a game only to be let down by the Devs. Especially a game where hard work and time can be eclipsed by somebody with a fat wallet.

I think this game uses the 'churn and burn' theory of game design. That, or Catch and Release. I'm sure they want to retain players, but there isn't a whole lot there to retain people when leveling to the end game content is lightening quick. It's a little slower as you move through the tiers of dungeons, but to be honest it seems like dungeons bug out often enough to make me want to rage quit. I don't mind hard, but when people are only taking 'speed run experienced only 10k+ GS' and every group I join has some glitchy method or another to get through the content it really makes me question what I'm doing in this game.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    warfluxwarflux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    More classes is probably not the answer. However, we do not need more professions, mounts, worthless companions and sub-par pvp gear. Not sure what the devs are drinking but it smells like kool-aid.
  • Options
    mavalonmavalon Member Posts: 88
    edited June 2013
    Cryptic is not rich and pwe wants to make money as soon as possible.
    Even big budget mmo's get released to soon.

Take a look what EA did the last years, most companys developping a mmo for them went
    bankrupt or had to cut their staff in half.

Im pretty sure Cryptic would have rather waithed till they could release with 20+ classes all with athleast
    2 paragon paths.

But who will fund that?
    These days publishers look at a game and say ok its playable.
    Release so we start making money.

This will eventually turn into the d&d game everyone wants.
    But it will take years not months.
  • Options
    gabriael69gabriael69 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2013
    here a thought while wait to get more class's in neverwinter go play DnD online run by turbine might be outdated but has more class's and it has the Dnd feel more
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    gabriael69 wrote: »
    here a thought while wait to get more class's in neverwinter go play DnD online run by turbine might be outdated but has more class's and it has the Dnd feel more

Shocking! (But true.)

I've had my tussles with Turbine, but after dealing with companies like Funcom and with what Cryptic has now become they look like saints and scientists. The fact DDO is even still around when there's another D&D franchise game tells you how much more true of a D&D experience it is.

It took me years to complete all the content, because they kept putting out great stuff faster than I could finish it.

I'm sure if I went back today I'd have even more to do, if I could stand dated graphics and ugly UI's.
  • Options
    glyph69glyph69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    Ranger, Bard, Paladin, and Monk are not core classes? Wow, 4E is worse than I ever suspected.

*whips out the books...yes I still use those things filled with paper and bound in a hard square...*

4E core player's handbook 1 (PHB1) general classes are Fighter, Rogue, Paladin, Warlock, Wizard, Cleric, Warlord, Ranger. There's two types of each class making 16 "cookie cutter" classes and then there's 4 paragon paths to add flavor (pretty much 2 for each type).

That's if they just went with the player's handbook 1. Which tallies to 32 different ways to generally play before you get into the feat trees, hehe.

So far we have 4 classes represented and only 1 class is fully represented (fighter) in types. We are still missing the Ranger, Warlock, Paladin, and Warlord fully as well as the Brawny Rogue, the Warpriest cleric, and the War Wizard from the 3 incomplete classes.

IF they follow just PHB1.

There's no barbarians, bards, or druids until PHB2 and monks are PHB3.

As for the rest of this topic, I'll be the first to say I'm looking forward to a new class, especially one that compliments how I like to play and it is on the top of my list of things I'd like to see in the game because I want to play a class that fits my playstyle. Then again I also want access to the evil deities (BANE) because evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

So, I wait and support the game because I do think it's got great potential. I don't mind waiting, but, I think a little info or guessimate of a time window would do much to calm the community.

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    rolandredtiderolandredtide Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013

They've been dropping hints all over the place that the next class is Ranger and it'll be out around the time of Module 1. So there you go.
    So you can stow that pompous BS and stop pretending that other people's opinions matter less than your own.

I never made, never have made, nor ever will make such claims. Chill. Also, I agreed with most of what you said, so I'm amused to see that you seem to have a problem with that.
    I'm not crying doom, just expressing my opinion and stating facts.

As am I. Then again, the previous line indicates that you are inclined to be a hypocrite by saying that, then this. I hope that isn't the case. Also, I wasn't really referring to you as much as I was referring to the OP.
    People ARE topping out their gear too easily and they ARE quitting. You can't just replace lost players with new ones. That isn't the goal and you eventually run out of new players. The goal is to keep players playing, and their current model isn't accomplishing that. So yeah, I'll hold out until there isn't anything else to accomplish. And by then there had better be something else fresh and exciting or I'll just cut my losses and quit. Nobody wants to invest all of this time in a game only to be let down by the Devs. Especially a game where hard work and time can be eclipsed by somebody with a fat wallet.

Same was said of CO. Of CoH. Of STO. And those are just the games Cryptic has made, I could include a great many others by other companies. Was wrong in all those cases, so odds are against it being right this time.

Those players who max out and quit are the same players who'd get bored and move on no matter what - not all but a majority. Trying to retain those would be suicidal. Cryptic has some experience in this matter, from some hard learned lessons.
  • Options
    shaalshaal Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Agree 100% with the OP
    We badly need new class and new skills'trees in actual class
  • Options
    fargolfargol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mutepoint1 wrote: »
    I do understand the need to limit equipment types to classes as well. If you can equip anything you're proficient in, then you have fighters rolling need on rogue gear. (Don't pretend it wouldn't happen... We all know better!)

You're right, it would happen, but there's a simple solution.
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    You took the easy way out of designing more animations by pigeon holing us into very restrictive class builds. Then only gave us five builds. This is not acceptable. Players want options. Players want to feel unique. Sure, we have aesthetic differences, but my character is pretty much identical to every Trickster Rogue of my level in terms of what I can do. The only difference is in the gear. People are leaving in droves, and it's hard to get any of my D&D buddies to give this game a chance once they discover how limited the class system is. Please, drop everything else, and get to work on this. We don't need nerfs and buffs. We don't need more mounts. We don't need more companions. We don't need a dungeon that only guilds can participate in. We need classes. And LOTS of them, fast. Not just one or two every six months.

People are leaving for different reasons then number of character classes. Where are you getting the information that details the connection between the number of people who stop playing Neverwinter and the number of character classes. This is simply your opinion and nothing more.

I for one do NOT want ANY additional classes added to Neverwinter. All adding classes does is artificially handicap the "different" classes then "balance" them to make them the same. Having four different tank, healer, etc classes that are all balanced the same is a pointless exercise that just leaves each of the different varieties lacking what the original should have.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    People are leaving for different reasons then number of character classes. Where are you getting the information that details the connection between the number of people who stop playing Neverwinter and the number of character classes. This is simply your opinion and nothing more.

I for one do NOT want ANY additional classes added to Neverwinter. All adding classes does is artificially handicap the "different" classes then "balance" them to make them the same. Having four different tank, healer, etc classes that are all balanced the same is a pointless exercise that just leaves each of the different varieties lacking what the original should have.
    I understand your point and the horrendous balance issues in EQ2 would bear out your reasoning had we any historians among us. But I think there is room in the game system for some more classes that do not specifically overlap current classes, like pet classes, melee controllers or buff/debuff classes.

The only artificial part is how they are shoe-horned into the IP. But we will all just have to trust Cryptic to do that.

Why are you laughing?
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    I understand your point and the horrendous balance issues in EQ2 would bear out your reasoning had we any historians among us. But I think there is room in the game system for some more classes that do not specifically overlap current classes, like pet classes, melee controllers or buff/debuff classes.

The only artificial part is how they are shoe-horned into the IP. But we will all just have to trust Cryptic to do that.

Why are you laughing?

Why not just add the exact abilities you describe pet classes, melee controllers or buff/debuff classes to existing classes through Paragon Paths?
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    Why not just add the exact abilities you describe pet classes, melee controllers or buff/debuff classes to existing classes through Paragon Paths?
    That is a fair point. Honestly with the devoted cleric being what it is, I can’t see any way to add a paladin without it doing exactly what you describe, unless you make it some sort of paragon path that exchanges the hand mirror for a glowing sword of some stripe.

But then you run the risk of trivializing the foregame. I know that may seem laughable as well but if the game seems to begin at some elevated level it makes the previous levels seem silly and insignificant.

Why can’t I make a paladin at level 1? Why do I have to wait until level 30 to make my paladin? I don’t want to play a cleric; I want to play a paladin. We should just be able to start at 30 if that’s when we get to make a paladin.

So then the question becomes how do we make these abilities available to the class lines from the earlier levels? Well there isn’t a way to do that. One might imagine a rewrite of the entire system to allow for a choice of fighter-caster-rogue-healer and then skills to pick from in those lines, but that’s not the way this is set up.

So my question is how would you add these abilities for the classes without adding new classes, starting the game at 30 or rewriting the whole class system?