test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Requesting Dev Clarification Re: Drow.

rizoguerizogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I am getting conflicting reports about the release date of the drow race. I'm sure it will be pointed out that this has been answered someplace else, but I am not interested in scouring the hundreds of troll posts on here to get an answer for a simple question. Are we waiting 60 days for the drow, or 110? Since I have already been anxiously (and un-necessarily IMO) waiting 50 days from the launch of Open Beta to make my characters, I have recently heard that we are actually waiting 60 MORE days from today... Is this true?

Rizogue
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Join our Neverwinter Discussions: http://www.menzoberranzan.net
Now Recruiting - All races and classes! Menzoberranzan Guild Recruitment
Post edited by rizogue on

Comments

• mordivysmordivys Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The last thing I heard was 60 days after launch. No I am not a Dev or anyone with authority, just stating what I, as a new person (only been here for last couple of weeks), have heard on the topic.

An official answer for this would be great!
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you didn't want to wait for Drow you had to pony up the $200. Opinions as to the necessity of that are irrelevant.

Anyway, today is launch day. They are probably a tad too busy to answer your question right now.

Since the length of open beta was unknown at the time HotN packs were sold, it is unlikely they meant it was 60 days after the beginning of an unknown duration. Thus, I expect it to be 60 days from launch, which means the count likely either starts today or tomorrow, depending on whether they consider the actual launch day to be part of the 60 day wait.
  • rizoguerizogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    Since the length of open beta was unknown at the time HotN packs were sold, it is unlikely they meant it was 60 days after the beginning of an unknown duration.

That is exactly my point, if they decided launch would be in November it could have been hundreds of days we have to wait or 'pony up $200'. Drow was listed (and still is) as a playable race months before the first Open Beta Weekend. Then they offer a 'Menzoberranzan Renegade' for $200, and announce that it'll be 60 days til we who could barely afford to pay $60 for the *lesser* founder pack can make a drow - now 50 days later, it's 60 more days?

I've never bashed this game before, in fact, I have been a staunch supporter of it. This, however, may be the end for me. I thought I had 10 days left, and now I'm reset back to 60 more days waiting while everyone gets all these great perks (respec tokens, etc) and exclusive items during cool events. I am thoroughly disappointed if this is the case....

Rizogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It has always been on record that free drow would be about two months after launch. Not after beta. After launch. Which is today.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • healhappyhealhappy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited June 2013
    On the bright side, the max is two months. Who knows, we might get it in a week or two?
  • rizoguerizogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    healhappy wrote: »
    On the bright side, the max is two months. Who knows, we might get it in a week or two?

Let's hope so. I have been crossing off days on the calendar, to just learn this today.... It is unhealthy that a game can effect one's mood line this. Maybe this is a sign..........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The official word was, is and until something different is said; always will be:

UP TO 60 days after launch.

Meaning: worst case scenario: August 20th. But I suspect sooner.
  • gerritxgerritx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    But the extended FAQ says "The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow race will be unavailable for at least 60 days after release."

So...
  • wolfrat14wolfrat14 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    mordivys wrote: »
    The last thing I heard was 60 days after launch. No I am not a Dev or anyone with authority, just stating what I, as a new person (only been here for last couple of weeks), have heard on the topic.

An official answer for this would be great!

Here is your official answer, which has been located in the Neverwinter FAQ for months:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?18401-Neverwinter-Extended-FAQ

"What are the specifics surrounding the exclusivity of the Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow that comes with the Hero of the North Founder's Pack?

The Menzo-Renegade look, tattoo, racial background, racial ability, and special companion will remain permanently exclusive to Hero of the North Pack purchases. The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow race will be unavailable for at least 60 days after release. We are currently planning to do a future update that will allow all players will be able to create a regular Drow character."

NOTA BENE: It says "at least 60 days after release." June 20th, 2013, is Day One of Live Launch or Official Release. Do not expect to see a vanilla Drow race for all players before August 20th, 2013. Do not expect to see it in the Fury of the Feywild module.

At this point, I am hoping we will see the vanilla Drow race and Ranger class before the end of 2013, but I do not know if PWE can even accomplish that task, and I am not sure if I or many other people will still be playing this game several months from now, when they apparently decide they can start adding Races and Classes, which they said they were going to add every month or two.
  • wolfrat14wolfrat14 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The official word was, is and until something different is said; always will be:

UP TO 60 days after launch.

Meaning: worst case scenario: August 20th. But I suspect sooner.

This statement is incorrect.

The exact and correct quote is, "The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow race will be unavailable for at least 60 days after release."

That means August 20th, 2013 is the earliest it will exist. Considering PWE's efforts this far, and the fact that they are still charging people $200 to play a Drow, even though PWE repeatedly said the Founder's Packs would be gone in May, I am hoping we see Rangers and free Drows before the end of the year.

But who will still be playing this game by then?
  • kelbornxkelbornx Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    wolfrat14 wrote: »

At this point, I am hoping we will see the vanilla Drow race and Ranger class before the end of 2013, but I do not know if PWE can even accomplish that task, and I am not sure if I or many other people will still be playing this game several months from now, when they apparently decide they can start adding Races and Classes, which they said they were going to add every month or two.

I feel the same... really wish they would add more classes before more races, though. Two races in Fury of the Feywild... no classes? Pretty lame, imo. I would think Ranger or Druid would make sense to come out with that content. I'm personally waiting to be able to have a Drow Ranger for my DPS character (Tiefling CW is fun, but I like pewpew bow better). Would be nice to have that before The Elder Scrolls Online comes out, or I just get bored of this game.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This statement is incorrect.

The exact and correct quote is, "The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow race will be unavailable for at least 60 days after release."

That means August 20th, 2013 is the earliest it will exist. Considering PWE's efforts this far, and the fact that they are still charging people $200 to play a Drow, even though PWE repeatedly said the Founder's Packs would be gone in May, I am hoping we see Rangers and free Drows before the end of the year.

depends on definition of release.
    So far we have conflicting definition of "open beta" (mine was open to the public, but still have a wipe before release)
    to me, this is a soft launch.
    Now we are "officially" launch so it could be today is day one of RELEASE.

I am guessing the devs are going with TODAY as day one that way it will give them 59 more days.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • stovaliasstovalias Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm actually waiting to start playing until they introduce standard drow. Apart from the HotN pack being rather expensive whilst offering relatively few things I'm truly interested in (and I say that whilst having afforded lifetime accounts for both CO and STO), I would also rather play the "Dark Fire drow" than "Faerie Fire drow" due to character background reasons.

I'm checking back every few weeks just to hear if there are any news on this particular topic. :D

(I *would* have already tried NWO with a different race, but unfortunately the only other concept I find interesting at the moment is not playable due to the game unfortunately sporting a few critical differences to basic D&D mechanics in terms of weapon/equipment options)
  • johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    First they worded it 60 days after open beta launch to give Founders exclusive play with Drow (Renegades) but then they changed it to 60 days after june 20th. Link to earlier thread with Admin response and from their Twitter;
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?353822-Drow-Race-question-(to-Cryptic-Admins-Helpful-people-with-info)/page5

EDIT; Im also one of the people waiting with some classes until I get to play them as Drow, so sucking it on my Tiefling GWF (I'll play Tiefling on the coming Scourge Warlock as well, but that's gonna take ages...). Anyway, Archer Ranger and Scourge Warlock was datamined a while back, if I recall, so they would be the first new classes. It really irks me that they release Moon and Sun elves before Drow tho, just plain stupid.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    gerritx wrote: »
    But the extended FAQ says "The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow race will be unavailable for at least 60 days after release."

So...

ACK! YOu are so right! LOL I remembered it backward. :)
    edited June 2013
    I have no problem getting bored with the game - I have barely played it. All I currently have is one half-orc that I only use in the Gateway to farm AD all day until I can make my drow characters, at which point he will be deleted. (I did get him to 30 in-game to get the extra skill slot, though... Now he's level 39 - mostly through Profession exp.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • darklordx51darklordx51 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    stovalias wrote: »
    I'm actually waiting to start playing until they introduce standard drow. Apart from the HotN pack being rather expensive whilst offering relatively few things I'm truly interested in (and I say that whilst having afforded lifetime accounts for both CO and STO), I would also rather play the "Dark Fire drow" than "Faerie Fire drow" due to character background reasons.

I'm checking back every few weeks just to hear if there are any news on this particular topic. :D

(I *would* have already tried NWO with a different race, but unfortunately the only other concept I find interesting at the moment is not playable due to the game unfortunately sporting a few critical differences to basic D&D mechanics in terms of weapon/equipment options)

+1 on that. We are in the same boat. Big D&D fans for the past 20 years, played DDO since beta until last year and every other fantasy MMO in between that takes influence from D&D. NWO class builds as they stand, from launch, are very limited and disappointing. 3 weeks of playing a jacked cleric, control wizard and GW fighter was enough to figure out I don't like any of these weird, dumbed down Perfect World versions of these classic classes. I have everything from the 4.0 rule set, and these classes (the wizard especially) really have very little in common (besides names) with that rule set or any other for that matter. Not *****ing but just agreeing that there are some of us still waiting for proper classes, or at least a class that is fun to us. But hey its free right. ;) Ill be waiting on the sidelines watching the headlines.
  • kelbornxkelbornx Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have everything from the 4.0 rule set, and these classes (the wizard especially) really have very little in common (besides names) with that rule set or any other for that matter.

Honestly, this is what I kind of like about this game. You really can't copy the P&P classes directly on over to an MMO (or single player RPG) all that well and expect to have a profitable playerbase, especially on a f2p game. "Gamers" these days have been spoonfed from games like WoW, and the simplicity (though it is a bit disappointing) does add to an ease of gameplay that would otherwise turn away potential players. I used to play Neverwinter Nights (didn't play DDO though), and I have to say... I spent more time figuring out builds and stats than actually playing the game. I love that with Neverwinter anyone can just jump in and play.

Also, they did invent lore as to why magic is completely differnt... so of course the Wizard isn't going to feel like the classic class.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    johnfell wrote: »
    First they worded it 60 days after open beta launch to give Founders exclusive play with Drow (Renegades) but then they changed it to 60 days after june 20th. Link to earlier thread with Admin response and from their Twitter;
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?353822-Drow-Race-question-(to-Cryptic-Admins-Helpful-people-with-info)/page5

EDIT; Im also one of the people waiting with some classes until I get to play them as Drow, so sucking it on my Tiefling GWF (I'll play Tiefling on the coming Scourge Warlock as well, but that's gonna take ages...). Anyway, Archer Ranger and Scourge Warlock was datamined a while back, if I recall, so they would be the first new classes. It really irks me that they release Moon and Sun elves before Drow tho, just plain stupid.

As I told you in that thread they never changed the wording. Players simply have conflicting interpretations of what launch is and the developers have not officially stated which one is the correct measuring point for the drow release schedule.

Vanillia drow has always been stated, since the initial change to be temporarily exclusive, to be unavailable until at least 60 after launch. They have changed nothing in the claim.

The question becomes is it 60 days after the "soft launch" or the "official launch." I haven't been informed either way but there is absolutely no sneakiness or changing of wording if drow aren't available for at least another 60 days from today.
    Today is the launch. Not April 30. Today. :)
  • morph2404morph2404 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    With the way they were being ambiguous about it, they could mean 60 days after release of the next module...Just 60 days after some "release".

Really makes it hard to stay interested in a game that's been making questionable decisions like this.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    morph2404 wrote: »
    With the way they were being ambiguous about it, they could mean 60 days after release of the next module...Just 60 days after some "release".

Really makes it hard to stay interested in a game that's been making questionable decisions like this.

The word used is "launch;" not "release."

I can't confirm which whether it was the launch of open beta or the official launch but the worst case scenario for everybody is that the clock will start today.
    edited June 2013

I can't confirm which whether it was the launch of open beta or the official launch but the worst case scenario for everybody is that the clock will start today.

I'm with ya partly Ambi, but anyone can see the reasoning behind maybe being careful with phrasing aswell as giving out real unquestionable information when possible.
    And regarding what I previously said about them changing the wording I was (in a clumbsy way) referring to the different things they've said, from twitter, FB, forums, official page, that according to my and many other's memory differed from open beta launch to official launch. But that is neither here nor there anymore; this is what they're going with, people are seriously annoyed, and Cryptic will reap it.

(PS; Despite my sometimes very critical posts here Im in the crowd desperately hoping this game does very well, as I like it. The game isn't kind to my wallet, but I like it :P )
    edited June 2013

I'd just like to know for certain which is it then? In the other thread the part you quoted from the FAQ it even said "The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow race will be exclusive for at least first 60 days of release." Which once again brings up the ambiguity of it all. So we're dealing with the word "release" not "launch". All they have to do is make a statement in this regards to clear this up so we can all stop arguing in circles about semantics.

Now if a statement has been made and is listed somewhere then I do apologize.
    edited June 2013
    morph2404 wrote: »
    I'd just like to know for certain which is it then? In the other thread the part you quoted from the FAQ it even said "The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow race will be exclusive for at least first 60 days of release." Which once again brings up the ambiguity of it all. So we're dealing with the word "release" not "launch". All they have to do is make a statement in this regards to clear this up so we can all stop arguing in circles about semantics.

Now if a statement has been made and is listed somewhere then I do apologize.

Eek, so it did. That was the absolute original quotation from the FAQ because players kept thinking it was tied into the Menzo-Renegade exclusivity. It was changed within a few days to say "launch" instead of release for clarity. It was basically written at a point in time where the two could have been used interchangeably. In the mean time I have always been told to refer to it as "at least 60 days after launch" and that was straight from the day the exclusivity was announced. :)

The statement in the FAQ is correct: at least 60 days after launch.
    edited June 2013
    Eek, so it did. That was the absolute original quotation from the FAQ because players kept thinking it was tied into the Menzo-Renegade exclusivity. It was changed within a few days to say "launch" instead of release for clarity. It was basically written at a point in time where the two could have been used interchangeably. In the mean time I have always been told to refer to it as "at least 60 days after launch" and that was straight from the day the exclusivity was announced. :)

One of my points proven, thank you. ;)
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I figure it was launch from day one not release. Technically, open beta wasn't really a release ;)
  • morfeddmorfedd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Official answer on Twitter and here: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?361541-Vanilla-Drow-timeline/page2

At least 60 days after today's live launch.
    edited June 2013
    And since at that time we had no idea whether 'launch' would even be within the first year of Open Beta, those of us sitting here waiting to make our characters should have just gone away, like I was advised to do in the first place... Like I said before, a game should never have the power to effect one's mood as much as finding out all this has today. If it does, then it's time to re-assess the situation. I hate everything about this whole situation...

I have supported this game, rebuilt a community around it, and promoted it until I am blue in the face. I registered on this site in September of 2012, and have been excited to play since then. Quotes like "always been stated, since the initial change" then "It was changed within a few days to say "launch" instead of release for clarity." is just about exactly enough said.

I want this question answered.

What date, exactly am I coming back to these forums and this game? This carrot has been dangled in front of my nose for entirely too long, and I'm not going to have an *** made out of me with all this ambiguity any longer! I paid $60 months ago to support and play this game. I may not be a Hero, and worthy of a strait answer, but I'm a grown *** man, and this is just about as much of this as I am going to put up with. I have worked very hard to word this as nicely as I possibly can, and the lack of word sensors really disguises how mad about this I really am.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    rizogue wrote: »
    And since at that time we had no idea whether 'launch' would even be within the first year of Open Beta, those of us sitting here waiting to make our characters should have just gone away, like I was advised to do in the first place... Like I said before, a game should never have the power to effect one's mood as much as finding out all this has today. If it does, then it's time to re-assess the situation. I hate everything about this whole situation...

I have supported this game, rebuilt a community around it, and promoted it until I am blue in the face. I registered on this site in September of 2012, and have been excited to play since then. Quotes like "always been stated, since the initial change" then "It was changed within a few days to say "launch" instead of release for clarity." is just about exactly enough said.

I want this question answered.

What date, exactly am I coming back to these forums and this game? This carrot has been dangled in front of my nose for entirely too long, and I'm not going to have an *** made out of me with all this ambiguity any longer! I paid $60 months ago to support and play this game. I may not be a Hero, and worthy of a strait answer, but I'm a grown *** man, and this is just about as much of this as I am going to put up with. I have worked very hard to word this as nicely as I possibly can, and the lack of word sensors really disguises how mad about this I really am.

If 60 day after Launch is correct then Aug 20th is your date.

If it doesn't launch then, well..... it would probably get worst.
    edited June 2013

Alrighty, fair enough. :)

Guess I'll be back in 60 days then.