test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter Maintenance - 06/13/13 (Look here for slow launcher patching)

Comments

• Options
    doktorvonwerdoktorvonwer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It does seem peculiar that it needs to patch more than a gigabyte at a time for what seems mostly to be code changes.

It's almost as if we're re-downloading the entire client or an entire data packet, instead of patching it with new content... Which can't be efficient, either for us waiting for the download, or for the Neverwinter data servers providing the downloads...
  • Options
    vallivvalliv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah getting to 50% was quick. Then it crawled.

I guess i spoke too fast lol.. after the 50% it went into crawling mode ;D oh well..
  • Options
    jagoritannajagoritanna Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 35
    edited June 2013
    valliv wrote: »
    I guess i spoke too fast lol.. after the 50% it went into crawling mode ;D oh well..

D'oh! /facepalm.
  • Options
    bowiethemantisbowiethemantis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is there a workaround to speed the download? Got to 85% in minutes, then it started going at aprox. 50kb/s :/
    And it's stuck since almost an hour ago, and haven't seen even a 1% increase. I'm getting almost 1Mb a minute, that's no good at all, I should have the launcher opened for like 1 nonstop week to patch at this speed.

edit: oh boy, now its going backwards lol, jumped from 87% to 84%, what is this sorcery
  • Options
    elahndraelahndra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    D'oh! /facepalm.

reminiscing about what dial-up used to be like atm
  • Options
    offkhochioffkhochi Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    1600 UTC NOWWWWW !!!! But Don't up ?
  • Options
    bridgeburner1122bridgeburner1122 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It does seem peculiar that it needs to patch more than a gigabyte at a time for what seems mostly to be code changes.

It's almost as if we're re-downloading the entire client or an entire data packet, instead of patching it with new content... Which can't be efficient, either for us waiting for the download, or for the Neverwinter data servers providing the downloads...

I don't code, so I could be totally off base with this. Seems to me the balance changes (a lot of tweaking of damage values is what it looked like) may indeed just be changing a base value somewhere, but I get the impression some of this stuff has been waiting a long time. Take, for example, the Foundry fix for the music. That sounds pretty complicated and likely involves changes to the way the core game system (the sound production) interacts with the programming for the custom stuff in the Foundry.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    offkhochi wrote: »
    1600 UTC NOWWWWW !!!! But Don't up ?

Give them a few minutes either way, it's not a precise estimate...
  • Options
    darkownerdarkowner Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    when will be available the new class ?
  • Options
    theliethesametheliethesame Member Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I guess another admin will be using twitter for more info. Nowadays, forum threads are not as appealing as twitter/facebook. Its good to have a moderator informing us on forums, i prefer to cut myself than make a twitter account.

Edit : Also not having an update on ETA means that they will be up soon, unless there is a major problem
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I don't code, so I could be totally off base with this. Seems to me the balance changes (a lot of tweaking of damage values is what it looked like) may indeed just be changing a base value somewhere, but I get the impression some of this stuff has been waiting a long time. Take, for example, the Foundry fix for the music. That sounds pretty complicated and likely involves changes to the way the core game system (the sound production) interacts with the programming for the custom stuff in the Foundry.

True. I still have a bad aftertaste from Battlefield 3, where in order to so desperately keep their game unmodifiable and DRM-controlled, each patch re-downloaded entire data archives overwriting the existing content, causing even minor balance patches to be gigabytes big...
  • Options
    dalang3ddalang3d Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If several clases just been destroyed.... i'm just fear how we going trough dungeon? :(
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    True. I still have a bad aftertaste from Battlefield 3, where in order to so desperately keep their game unmodifiable and DRM-controlled, each patch re-downloaded entire data archives overwriting the existing content, causing even minor balance patches to be gigabytes big...

Sweet baby Jeebus....no, thank you. You can keep BF3. :)
  • Options
    crimsonlily9crimsonlily9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    valkyr92 wrote: »
    P.S.: Can someone maybe explain that, what does respec means? Google Transtalor didn't knows it.

Hey Valkyr :) "Respec" refers to when you reset your specialization; meaning talents/feats and the like. Since there are so many changes coming and many will want to "re-spec", re-specialize, they may give us one without cost.
  • Options
    nightplaynightplay Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    Extended to 9:15am PDT
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Launcher says it's now extended another 15 minutes...

Who wants to be at quarter past it'll be another 15 minutes? Tomorrow never comes ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    What's that saying about a watched pot?
  • Options
    cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited June 2013
    We discovered a minor issue but that was resolved. We're almost done!
  • Options
    morpheas768morpheas768 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    INB4 "Maintenance has been extended to 11 am PDT."

Come on! lol
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And I am ingame now.
  • Options
    jagoritannajagoritanna Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 35
    edited June 2013
    We discovered a minor issue but that was resolved. We're almost done!

Any update to the incredibly slow download pace?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Server status Green
    checking out atm
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Serverrrrrrrrr up.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    morpheas768 you just got burned :D
  • Options
    morpheas768morpheas768 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    morpheas768 you just got burned :D
    LOL true :P
  • Options
    krands90krands90 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    just need the slow download to finish then..

Btw thx for the great status updates :)
  • Options
    cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited June 2013
    Maintenance is now complete! Thanks for being so patient. Log in now :)
  • Options
    vallivvalliv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    oh gosh.. first patch, then another?!..
    1% and crawling =) I guess it's more babbling on the forums yay..
    (probably allot of ppl downloading the patch, so the speed is understandable)
  • Options
    torulv1torulv1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Serverrrrrrrrr up.

And patch server down... just stops downloading :mad:
  • Options
    skelbojannskelbojann Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Maintenance is now complete! Thanks for being so patient. Log in now :)

Is there any valuable info to the bandwith issues you can give? Is it just due to high load?