Install Arc
Options

Love the game, hate the class (GWF)

Comments

• Options
    chabowbieschabowbies Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    johnygwapo wrote: »
    maby you didnt know that capturing a point gives more score. most of GWF and GF sticks to 1 node, because they are the ones who can defend it.
    rogues and CW gets top, because its their objective to capture points because they are faster in terms of movement.

in short, its not the kills that can make you top.

For the record I also come out top or 2nd in player kills. Usually beat out by a good CW or GF with occasional rouge topping a pug.
    INB4, INB4
  • Options
    johnygwapojohnygwapo Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    chabowbies wrote: »
    For the record I also come out top or 2nd in player kills. Usually beat out by a good CW or GF with occasional rouge topping a pug.

good for you. well it actually depends on the scenario.. if you guys got nothing to capture anymore, and your score will depend on your kills/assists
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    good for you. well it actually depends on the scenario.. if you guys got nothing to capture anymore, and your score will depend on your kills/assists
    My GF is more of the stay on 2 node holder kinda pvper. My gwf is more go w.e the action is..... Which does tend to be 2 more than not.
    INB4, INB4
  • Options
    krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I lub the community for defending me against the moronic trolls searching for a rise out o me with stupid comments. I actually chuckle a bit when I see trolling comments like "the problem is between your chair and the keyboard". Comments like that reveal volumes about the personality of such individuals, their life will be tough, and that's the choice.

But thank you for defending me. Appreciate it.
    "I never make mistakes, I once thought I did but I was wrong"
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    krahct wrote: »
    I lub the community for defending me against the moronic trolls searching for a rise out o me with stupid comments. I actually chuckle a bit when I see trolling comments like "the problem is between your chair and the keyboard". Comments like that reveal volumes about the personality of such individuals, their life will be tough, and that's the choice.

majority is not defending you actually. you got it wrong
  • Options
    krahctkrahct Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    majority is not defending you actually. you got it wrong

Reread the posts. Majority are supporting the fact that the GWF is needing love. Maybe we're reading different posts?

And the defending I was talking about was specific to the trolling comment that "the problem is between your chair and keyboard" that does nothing, it's just a troll.
    "I never make mistakes, I once thought I did but I was wrong"
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Reread the posts. Majority are supporting the fact that the GWF is needing love. Maybe we're reading different posts?

And the defending I was talking about was specific to the trolling comment that "the problem is between your chair and keyboard" that does nothing, it's just a troll.

reading different posts? i dont think so. i dont know how you play GWF, but for sure you suck on it. 90% on my pvp with GWF beats other classes
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Unfortunately those comments are the truth of the matter. People whining about balance on the forums are the minority. The decent players are enjoying their classes.
    INB4, INB4
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    chabowbies wrote: »
    Unfortunately those comments are the truth of the matter. People whining about balance on the forums are the minority. The decent players are enjoying their classes.

+1 for youuuuu...
  • Options
    dddpunisher1dddpunisher1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i would highly recommend that you dont quit on the gwf.

being a fellow gwf with all my gear finally i do amazing. even when i just had t1 lv 60 gear i did verywell. the problem atm is that most gwf build in the destroyer tree. DO NOT!.
    the initiator tree is the best hands down. and in addition to this why quit when the class is getting a decent buff.
    gwf aren't meant to pubstomp, you have to know when to fight and when to peel. once your setup your a AOE monster.
  • Options
    vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    the initiator tree

The what? Wow, you seem to know what you're talking about. This post of yours really counterbalances all the previous posts by GWF players.
    "Ok, we'll take you... but that means we don't do the final boss." This is what my guildies answer to a fellow GWF when he asks to be in. And yes he is 60, like everybody in this game.
    English is not my first language.
  • Options
    agbadehanagbadehan Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    as a Destroyer that intended on going initiator I will say I don't see enough GWFs use WMS recovery frames animation cancelling. It is a massive amount of DPS that people are just willingly giving up on.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    the class should just be deleted

+1

Two new classes are announced, how about a free respec? Plus a few millions AD for having played a class whose gear, stats, powers and feats seem to have been designed by monkeys rolling dices. RIP GWF
  • Options
    ranethaesirranethaesir Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It took til I was level 48 to start being competitive in pvp. And by competitive I mean I put A plague Fire in my sword and started winning 3vme fights. Having a bit more difficulty at 55 though.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    agbadehan wrote: »
    as a Destroyer that intended on going initiator I will say I don't see enough GWFs use WMS recovery frames animation cancelling. It is a massive amount of DPS that people are just willingly giving up on.

By using the skill as it is intended to be used? By-passing, hijacking, is the way to play the class? And using counter-intuitive, defensive builds? Hey you're only bringing water to the mill of all the GWFs who erase their char and switch to any other.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    A mate of mine does good with a Cleric

One Cleric guildie told us that his endgame play is just connect, pray, log off. Because he has ran all the dungeons and has all the stuff. He says his class is boring, way too overpowered.
    Funnily enough, the GWF endgame is the same. Connect, pray, log off. But not for the same reasons. And with nil achievements.
  • Options
    neverasherneverasher Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    if you really want to do decent damage with your GWF: you need to weave WMS, your second at-will(reaping or wicked strike and soon to be sure strike maybe), and your 3 encounters together so have very little downtime in an animation. Never just spam one thing and always be looking to end the animation of another with a different ability. WMS cancels into your second at-will, which is canceled into your 3 encounters of your choice. You will always have an encounter coming off cooldown this way as well. Spamming WMS and sprint cancelling it over and over is just the lazy way and is missing out,imo.
    2uhmn1l.jpg
  • Options
    judicasjudicas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    neverasher wrote: »
    if you really want to do decent damage with your GWF: you need to weave WMS, your second at-will(reaping or wicked strike and soon to be sure strike maybe), and your 3 encounters together so have very little downtime in an animation. Never just spam one thing and always be looking to end the animation of another with a different ability. WMS cancels into your second at-will, which is canceled into your 3 encounters of your choice. You will always have an encounter coming off cooldown this way as well. Spamming WMS and sprint cancelling it over and over is just the lazy way and is missing out,imo.

The fact that we have to do all this is pathetic, and thats only for sub par damage. Basically its cheating the system because the class is so broken.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    vortix44 wrote: »
    By using the skill as it is intended to be used? By-passing, hijacking, is the way to play the class? And using counter-intuitive, defensive builds? Hey you're only bringing water to the mill of all the GWFs who erase their char and switch to any other.

It's not really an exploit. You can cancel moves with your dash, kind of like how rogue cancel moves with their dodge roll but our ability to cancel actually improves our DPS. You can run around and yell "LALALALA, EXPLOIT, EXPLOIT" all you want but it's a part of the class and working as intended from my PoV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PMBlRFduUc

Sacrifice the dps if you want but I won't.
    neverasher wrote: »

And then you also have the weaving or threading mentioned in this quote^
    judicas wrote: »
    The fact that we have to do all this is pathetic, and thats only for sub par damage. Basically its cheating the system because the class is so broken.

lolk. That's like saying Ryu shouldn't have to zone Zangief to avoid getting blown up. I'm sorry that you have to play a certain way to optimize your class, I guess? It's like saying Trickster Rogues shouldn't have to slot impossible to catch to avoid getting blown up.
  • Options
    l0th4ri0l0th4ri0 Member Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    agbad: if you are honest with yourself, then you will have the ability to realize that sprint cancels are exploiting an animation glitch. I would say at best that it is a cheese tactic, but one which regrettably can be seen as necessary considering the state of the GWF in general.

To all of the defenders of the GWF status quo: is this how you play your game? By exploiting an animation glitch with the sprint key? I'm not trying to accuse or call you a cheater or anything... I'm just genuinely curious. This could explain why there are still some people who say that the class is fine when it very clearly isn't.
  • Options
    xeromus20xeromus20 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Quitting a class before you've even begun to understand it is laughable.

GWF is far from as underpowered and weak as people think, though, most want everything handed to them on silver platter so I guess it's logical.
    Paradigm - Instigator Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer - 13k GS
    Instigate and Eradicate
    Alek Silverkin - Sentinel Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer - 11k GS
    How do you kill that which gets tankier the more you hit it?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    l0th4ri0 wrote: »
    agbad: if you are honest with yourself, then you will have the ability to realize that sprint cancels are exploiting an animation glitch. I would say at best that it is a cheese tactic, but one which regrettably can be seen as necessary considering the state of the GWF in general.

To all of the defenders of the GWF status quo: is this how you play your game? By exploiting an animation glitch with the sprint key? I'm not trying to accuse or call you a cheater or anything... I'm just genuinely curious. This could explain why there are still some people who say that the class is fine when it very clearly isn't.

Every class can cancel their at-will animations with their Shift trait. The GWF shift trait just happens to be the best suited to increase DPS. Coincidence?

Did you know rogue can bunny hop inbetween at-wills?

As a matter of fact if at-wills and the like couldn't be canceled by shift key traits don't you think the game would be worse off? Imagine being stuck in an animation in a big *** red circle. GG to your hps bro. This is not a traditional MMO.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So the answer is "yes" so far... has anybody made it to 60 through PVE without sprint cancelling?

Edit: I'm sure somebody has... but is it commonplace?
  • Options
    talvos38talvos38 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was going to come up with some long winded post about how this class isn't fine, and the game suffers because of it, but **** it, at this point I don't ****ing care, I am playing path of exile, and in a few months I will be playing Splinter Cell Blacklist, so I am just probably going to drop this game and never play it again, the GWF class is a joke, and if you feel otherwise I am inclined to disagree with you. Did I have my fun? Sure I guess so, but it was more frustration leveling then it was fun as a GWF, my second character was a cleric and it was so much easier getting to 60 that it was probably the worst joke I have seen in a long time.

So in summary, **** this game, I am moving on.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So the answer is "yes" so far... has anybody made it to 60 through PVE without sprint cancelling?

Edit: I'm sure somebody has... but is it commonplace?

I've levelled two GWFs to 60 through PvE , one as a Instigator one as a Sentinel without animation cancelling, and between the two got around 14 days on /played. I'm fully aware of how to do it, I just don't feel it was/is necessary. I've seen a few others doing it, but the majority don't since it requires some actual effort to do and most GWFs just hold down sure strike and then roll their face across the encounter keys
    Instigate and Eradicate
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    xeromus20 wrote: »
    I've levelled two GWFs to 60 through PvE , one as a Instigator one as a Sentinel without animation cancelling, and between the two got around 14 days on /played. I'm fully aware of how to do it, I just don't feel it was/is necessary. I've seen a few others doing it, but the majority don't since it requires some actual effort to do and most GWFs just hold down sure strike and then roll their face across the encounter keys

Thank you, xero. So you believe that the GWF is fine, and needs no other tweaks besides what's in the balance patch? At level 60, you are content with how the class plays and having the ability to make a difference in the dungeons?
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Make the GWF a trash/add tank to keep the mobs off the cleric and they would be welcome!
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I have a level 60 GWF, fyi. =| t2 sucks. t1 is fine. PvP is nothing but cheese but that's how PvP in PvE centric games generally go. Aggro/Threat is broken. DPS GFs do more DPS than DPS GWF once you discount AoE, which is hard to maintain with these pug CWs throwing everything everywhere, and dedicated animation canceling which I stated I don't see enough GWFs do. As a tree I believe some of the feats present should just be inherent to GWF (Destroyer Capstone? Stunning Flourish? zzz, this game) while others make me really question what the designers were smoking but I digress.

1. Is the class workable? Yes.
    2. Could the class use some love? Yes.
    3. Do I think it should be top priority? Eh... let's see after the patch.

Every GWF and their mother going Destroyer and then complaining about lack of AoE deeps is kind of funny though.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thank you, xero. So you believe that the GWF is fine, and needs no other tweaks besides what's in the balance patch? At level 60, you are content with how the class plays and having the ability to make a difference in the dungeons?
    I never felt damage was the classes shortcoming, but then again using giant weapons, with the highest base damages you'd expect slower, but more brutal hits to come out. Right now the damage is at a level where it fits its role, but only just. Buffing the damage will make it more of a go-to for clearing out packs, but then ask yourself; where is it MANDATORY to clear packs? and the answer is not too many places.. I can't sit and say im 100% happy with the class.. There's always that feeling that something could be better etc, but that seems more of a natural feeling than anything.

These changes on the 20th will definitely make it so that GWF has more viability in team selection (and I believe that the best team will still include 1 of each class) but given the class sucks at mob pinball it will take time for players attitudes towards it to change... That, is what I believe is most wrong with the class; the attitudes towards it.

On a lesser note, I strongly believe that GWF and GF will be the premier classes for Grym
    Instigate and Eradicate
  • Options
    notsosweetnessnotsosweetness Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have two GWF's at level 60.
    *One ran everything with static Cleric partner (no dungeons)
    *One ran solo (At Whispering Carverns now) (no dungeons)

I am not a elitest. I am a newb with only a few years of DDO experience to fall back on. I want to learn but don't want to be a liablity to a group either so I have never ran with many groups ever.

I can tell you that while running with my static cleric partner I would be learning little to nothing. Why? Because unless he stands back and does nothing more times then not it's "Sorry, didn't mean to kill them all and so fast". We have to plan him stepping back so I can at least get 'some' determination going at a end fight.

My solo GWF, she has not really had much trouble except this guy in Whispering Cavern and his **** lighting is pissing me off. She has died a few times but yes, prob due to my skill or lack of. Sometimes I get it wrong on reading a situation the first time. She is now equiped with Avator of War's gear and Ancient sword and knot. And whats the general consensus? I am at end game and worthless unless I find a guild to take petty on me and accept to bring me along.

Do I think the GWF is trash? NO But compared to the other classes then I would agree that they are at the bottom of the picking order. I see all the other classes with more then just one ability. Cleric-heal/damage, Rogue-trap/damage, Wizard-CC/damage. So seeing the class that is suppose to be the specialized class in damage at bottom...well...like I said, I am new. Just seems messed up to me.

Ok...go at me those of you who were never new...were never learning...needs a **** to beat on to get some self worth. I am new to 3D games but I have a few more years experience in 2D forum bashing so I know how to ignore your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> if you choose to be a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> instead of speaking with some kind of respect your parent surely tried to teach you.

/me sits back and waits for it.