test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is it better to buy the 1600 zen profession pack or the 300 booster packs?

2»

Comments

• chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    $16 bucks.. to some people that's 2 hours of salary working at Starbucks.
  • eros1986eros1986 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    better to buy a beer.
  • clortbagsclortbags Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Convert the Zen into diamonds and buy what you need from the AH instead of purchasing X amount of Neverwinter Profeession lottery tickets.

Cryptic seems totally ok with gambling in their game so how about a gambling den in Protectors Enclave where players also have the opportunity to take other players to the cleaners... why should the dev's have all the fun!?!
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    $16 bucks.. to some people that's 2 hours of salary working at Starbucks.

And for others it is five or ten minutes of work. It's all relative. Plus, most of us presumably play for recreation, and hobbies frequently cost money. :) But that's the nice thing about a F2P like Neverwinter: You can pay as little or as much as you want, and put in as much or as little time as you want.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    and hobbies frequently cost money. :)

Hah, don't remind me. I played Warhammer & WH40k on and off over a couple decades. Went from $16 being able to get you 30 plastic marines, to $16 getting you 1-3 figures. Whee, inflation!

(and I try to avoid thinking about my time playing Magic. Or the RC cars. :rolleyes:)
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    (and I try to avoid thinking about my time playing Magic. Or the RC cars. :rolleyes:)

I dodged the MtG bullet! I still have some cards from the mid 1990s (sadly they are in German or I could probably sell them! ... maybe I still can.), but I had no one to play with, so my interest waned before I got to the stage of extreme booster-pack-buying-sprees. My boss keeps bugging me about Magic Online, but I'm trying to avoid that because I know what will happen. :p

Most of my "hobby money" seems to be eaten up by video games, ukuleles (you'd think you only need one, but ... doesn't work that way and the nice ones are costly), Go stones, and books. But it's okay, it's why I work!
  • silveralucardsilveralucard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 410 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    going back into the topic XD lol i think the boster pack is better i mean if you buy the same amount of zen worth ti, so for example you buy one booster pack for 300 you got multiple things including the asset and the other well you get 5 but only that to for example if you buy 5 boosters you will spend 1500 and will continue to have 5 assets and a lot more things including some uncommon and maybe some rare resources :) that can be sell by 1k in the AH so i think is better to buy 5 boosters than 1 asset pack :D
    Everything works out in the end . If it hasn't worked out yet, it isn't the end...
  • itdude123itdude123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    going back into the topic XD lol i think the boster pack is better i mean if you buy the same amount of zen worth ti, so for example you buy one booster pack for 300 you got multiple things including the asset and the other well you get 5 but only that to for example if you buy 5 boosters you will spend 1500 and will continue to have 5 assets and a lot more things including some uncommon and maybe some rare resources :) that can be sell by 1k in the AH so i think is better to buy 5 boosters than 1 asset pack :D

I have to agree here. Asset packs left me with buyers remorse. Booster packs are a much better ROI. You don't get dragon eggs from the resource packs, just the booster packs. I bought 2 asset packs and got 2 green tools 2 blue workers and the rest were green workers (mostly leather working). I got about 3 dragon eggs out of 10 booster packs plus tons of mats.
  • grimhelmegrimhelme Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Now, I did buy some zen at the start, but except for getting a jump start on a couple character slots, that hasn't made a difference here..... answer: Yes, it's possible to get stuff without spending $. Via dailies, Invoking, and Leadership projects (plus selling things like my 7-day-Celestial enchantment box on the AH), I've gained a useful amount of Zen (several thousand) since the game started. It takes a bit of micromanagement (doing invokes & crafting on multiple characters), but it does work.

So, I would be better off focusing on only doing Leadership and not waste time on Tailoring?

I don't really have the time to farm crafting on multiple characters.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    Plus it's all about the tools if you're gonna make top quality item... the person assets just makes it go faster.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hrm. Bought a fourth pack. Minimum again... 1 blue, 4 green. And 4/5 people. Yay?

Even using zen gained from AD, it's really not looking worth doing. Save up your AD and buy the things you need off the auction. (which, yes, pre-supposes that other suckers are buying the packs so that there is something to put in the AH.... :p)
  • captainlangercaptainlanger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    i wouldn't waste your time on either of the packs. save up some AD and buy some assets for the profession your levelling everytime i have opened one of those boxes i have got <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for a profession i'm not leveling, they should have a box for each profession or at least a higher chance on your main profession. you don't need any of them until i'd say 20 anyway i have made it to nearly 13 platesmithing without anything bought.
  • silveralucardsilveralucard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 410 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    i wouldn't waste your time on either of the packs. save up some AD and buy some assets for the profession your levelling everytime i have opened one of those boxes i have got <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for a profession i'm not leveling, they should have a box for each profession or at least a higher chance on your main profession. you don't need any of them until i'd say 20 anyway i have made it to nearly 13 platesmithing without anything bought.

the problem is that if you want to have the gemmed very rare version of shirts and pants you need to have at least 2 very rare and ne rare asset is you want to have some chance of getting it or well maybe more lol XD is not easy to have those and they do not drop so you need to craft them or buy them in the AH that as you can see well it is expensive as well 350k A for each and well your platesmiting needs to be lv 20 as well. so if you don;t gather enough AD to buy the assets (very rare ones are lik 500k to 1M) then you better try luck and if something is not for your profession then just sell it and buy the one for your profession, in any case if you can buy the booster pack using zen from survey or zen that you change from AD then i think is a good option to try your luck and well as they mention you will only use them to craft those equips at lv 20 when you really need them at lv 60 :)
    Everything works out in the end . If it hasn't worked out yet, it isn't the end...
  • zeuseason411zeuseason411 Member Posts: 107
    edited June 2013
    All the packs have been nerfed after many players got the initial marketing bolster lucky draws. Lamens terms: you won't get anything worth a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> now & forever.
  • holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You should have just started a "bash the Zen Shop" thread. You can't get by the butthurt children on the forums who don't have any money.

I've gottten 2 epic craftsmen, some rares and greens also. And some blue and green asset tools. I've bought too many of those things though, so I've decided to only stick with spending AD on the asset items I need. It's like gambling, you can get sucked in... But you can only spend so much money on a game, it's true.
    edited June 2013
    All the packs have been nerfed after many players got the initial marketing bolster lucky draws. Lamens terms: you won't get anything worth a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> now & forever.

What's your source?
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    What's your source?

Probably just speculation based on the rise in AH prices. Not realizing, of course, that the low prices were driven by people repeating the Neverdeath quest over and over.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev