test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is it better to buy the 1600 zen profession pack or the 300 booster packs?

vadriel45vadriel45 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Anyone have experience with both? I'm not looking to hear your butt hurt story about how you got screwed over once after opening one. I just want to hear what the better value is.
Post edited by vadriel45 on

Comments

• assassin83assassin83 Member, Banned Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    None. I don't pay money to buy random loot.
  • vadriel45vadriel45 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Neither do I. I sell items on the AH and use the AD to buy zen.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What's it worth to you?
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Don't have much experience with the 300 pack.

I can tell you that the three 1600 packs I got (converting AD->zen) were..... moderately unimpressive.
    Chance it gives is (if I recall right):
    1 Epic or Rare
    2 Epic, or Rare, or Uncom
    1 Rare or Uncom
    1 Uncom

I got one pack that was Rare, 4x Uncom; two packs 2x Rare, 3x Uncom.

(I vaguely recall that I bought a 300 pack a few weeks ago, and ended up with a bunch of resources, which is why I went with the big packs. /shrug)
  • joewoodcutter1joewoodcutter1 Member Posts: 100
    edited June 2013
    Buy neither of them, from my own experience it will barely help your crafting and the crafting itself will still be a grind.
  • dkcandydkcandy Member Posts: 1,555 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Why would you buy ether to sell? Just exchange your ZEN / AD. Because why would anyone buy an item that's on the ZEN store for more AD then exchanging their AD for ZEN and buying it.

This is why you see a lot of these items for millions on the AH and not being purchased!
  • assassin83assassin83 Member, Banned Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I see no problem paying for a mount or a companion, but with this profession pack (or keys), its random so you could "lose" the money
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dkcandy wrote: »
    Because why would anyone buy an item that's on the ZEN store for more AD then exchanging their AD for ZEN and buying it.

People actually do silly things like that all the time...
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited June 2013
    Why would you buy ether to sell? Just exchange your ZEN / AD. Because why would anyone buy an item that's on the ZEN store for more AD then exchanging their AD for ZEN and buying it.

This is why you see a lot of these items for millions on the AH and not being purchased!

Yeah, I do find it amusing when I see stuff on the AH for a lot more than it would cost to just convert the AD and grab it from the store. Ditto with people selling over chat....
  • vadriel45vadriel45 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2013

To clarify, I was telling assassin 83 that I'm not "paying money" for anything, merely looking for a way to spend zen I've earned. I'm not looking to sell the contents of the profession pack.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I can't find the post at the moment, but we discussed this a few weeks back and someone had bought quite a few of each and noted down the results. In short, they were almost equal, with the 1600 Zen pack having a small edge when it came to assets (people assets, on a "per Zen" rate, were very close). This really only applies if you open a large number of them, though, so with just a few it's more uncertain and it's a bit a matter of luck.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
    edited June 2013
    I can't find the post at the moment, but we discussed this a few weeks back and someone had bought quite a few of each and noted down the results. In short, they were almost equal, with the 1600 Zen pack having a small edge when it came to assets (people assets, on a "per Zen" rate, were very close). This really only applies if you open a large number of them, though, so with just a few it's more uncertain and it's a bit a matter of luck.

Thanks for the reply. If you happen upon the post please let me know. It seems like the best bet would be to buy the smaller packs and avoid the volatility of opening a larger pack.
    edited June 2013
    I think you're referring to this data I gave:
    After collecting information from 27 1600-Zen packs and 74 300-Zen packs opened by me and my friends, we found:
    Average of 1600-Zen packs = 14.7 points = 0.0092 points/Zen
    Average of 300-Zen packs = 2.69 points = 0.0090 points/Zen
    Where a green asset = 1 point, blue asset = 4 points, purple asset = 16 points. People outweighed tools by 2:1.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    That's it! :) Thank you for re-posting it. I properly bookmarked it this time.

And yes, Vadriel, I also feel that getting the 300 Zen packs is a better approach as that tones down the luck element a little.
  • x3mta3xx3mta3x Member Posts: 80
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »

IIRC someone posted that keys where the best value, but I'm not positive on that so don't quote me. :)
    edited June 2013
    If you are going to buy anything buy KEYS and unlock your nightmare boxes.

Myself and friends have made really good money by opening lockboxes. It's still luck but there are more items on lockboxes that sell for higher values than the price of a key.

Enchants, Mount, etc... all worth 100's of thousands.

So if luck is in your favor you'll make a ton more on Lockboxes than Profession Pack.
  • zzzzzdankzzzzzdank Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Yeah, I do find it amusing when I see stuff on the AH for a lot more than it would cost to just convert the AD and grab it from the store. Ditto with people selling over chat....

The best example is keys.. People profit all day long by converting AD to ZEN buying a 10 pack then selling them to suckers like candy.. I did it for myself for awhile but it got annoying cuz on Mindflayer there are several people who do this ALL DAY and will undercut you constantly.
    edited June 2013
    Maybe the best question to the OP is : what are you hoping to gain with buying that packages ?
    If you e.g. want more AD from crafting you can better buy 2 extra character slots.
    edited June 2013
    If you are going to buy anything buy KEYS and unlock your nightmare boxes.

Myself and friends have made really good money by opening lockboxes. It's still luck but there are more items on lockboxes that sell for higher values than the price of a key.

Enchants, Mount, etc... all worth 100's of thousands.

So if luck is in your favor you'll make a ton more on Lockboxes than Profession Pack.

LOL and there it is. :)
    edited June 2013
    That's it! :) Thank you for re-posting it. I properly bookmarked it this time.

And yes, Vadriel, I also feel that getting the 300 Zen packs is a better approach as that tones down the luck element a little.

Unfortunately we didn't keep track of the profession consumables too closely, but we did come out with 9 or 10 dragon eggs out of the 74 packs as well. So now that the Graveyard quest isn't being exploited repeatedly, I do think that the 300 pack is the better overall value, especially for a higher level crafter that can rank up the assets as needed.
    edited June 2013
    x3mta3x wrote: »
    IIRC someone posted that keys where the best value, but I'm not positive on that so don't quote me. :)

The lockboxes only have Leadership assets, unless I have been extremely unlucky, which is absolutely possible. :p I never got anything for other professions from them, though. But if the idea is to make Zen, not just get profession assets, the lockboxes are probably better. I think I recall seeing the post you mention (it was a rather longish explanation with numbers), and it sounded good if you have a lot of keys (200 or so). I opened around 70 boxes and that wasn't enough for a positive return.
    edited June 2013
    Maybe the best question to the OP is : what are you hoping to gain with buying that packages ?

Honestly I'm not looking to profit here or squeeze out some AD by flipping stuff on the AH. I just want to level my leatherworking and get some tools that'll hopefully help down the road if new recipes are added. Lockboxes are fun, but as far as I know they only contain leadership packs which don't contain profession assets.
    edited June 2013
    Vadriel - Go with Keys and open lock boxes.

Mount 750k AD
    Epic Enchant - upwards of 300k
    Leadership - Open that - Epic Dragon Egg - 100k / Epic People 300k
    40k AD - Idol
    etc....

Those are all possible items to get from Lockboxes. One of my friends has made 2million AD profit over the past week just opening lockboxes and selling everything he gets. But as I said there is a risk.

Otherwise Keys themselves sell for 40kea.
    edited June 2013
    To be honest : level it up without a package, unless you play 24/hrs a day or buy 10 packages you wont notice a big difference in leveling speed.
    edited June 2013
    The lockboxes only have Leadership assets, unless I have been extremely unlucky, which is absolutely possible. :p I never got anything for other professions from them, though. But if the idea is to make Zen, not just get profession assets, the lockboxes are probably better. I think I recall seeing the post you mention (it was a rather longish explanation with numbers), and it sounded good if you have a lot of keys (200 or so). I opened around 70 boxes and that wasn't enough for a positive return.

Yep! That's the post I was looking for but I can not seem to find it. :(
  • grimhelmegrimhelme Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    On a semi-related note, (I don't want to start a new thread on this, but search hasn't returned much) is it possible/viable to get anything of real value, to yourself or from selling in the AH, without buying any Zen?

Also, can you eventually craft items that are worth selling on the AH or are you better off just auctioning any rare materials for AD?
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013
    IMHO they should separate those into person asset pack and tools asset pack. 1600zen is too expensive for something so random.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited June 2013

I buy rather than sell because I grind 50-60 hours a week at my job to earn bucketloads of cash. I'm not grinding 50-60 hours a week in a video game to avoid spending a miniscule fraction of that money. I earned the $1.60 that 1600 Zen would cost me while I was typing this.
    edited June 2013
    grimhelme wrote: »
    On a semi-related note, (I don't want to start a new thread on this, but search hasn't returned much) is it possible/viable to get anything of real value, to yourself or from selling in the AH, without buying any Zen?

Now, I did buy some zen at the start, but except for getting a jump start on a couple character slots, that hasn't made a difference here..... answer: Yes, it's possible to get stuff without spending $. Via dailies, Invoking, and Leadership projects (plus selling things like my 7-day-Celestial enchantment box on the AH), I've gained a useful amount of Zen (several thousand) since the game started. It takes a bit of micromanagement (doing invokes & crafting on multiple characters), but it does work.

I earned the $1.60 that 1600 Zen would cost me while I was typing this.

Just a minor nitpick, but 1600 zen is $16. Doesn't make a large difference to your general argument, though. :)
  • triggerlocktriggerlock Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I suspect that items on AH for ridiculous prices are there on the off chance that some uninformed player will buy it without realising there are other (cheaper) ways to get the item, they are prolly just hoping some poor soul buys it.

It's like the way that some items are priced with a really low bid price and a ridiculously overinflated buy price, they seller is prolly hoping some poor soul accidentally hits the buyout button and goes on to complete the sale in error.

Basically, I think that people are hoping to exploit the unattentive/uninformed, such is the way of the (internet) world :(