test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What D&D aspects we would like to see broadened

trocan678trocan678 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 65
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
First things first, I was aghast. I was amazed at how few threads I could find (in relation to the rest) that had a coherent, and well thought out conversation on "what this game is" vs "what D&D fans would like to see" that didn't end up off topic and a burn fest.

Well, there was one, and I had been watching it, and participating in it, and it had close to (if not over) 3k views and 12 pages of replies. Is that alot? Not really, but it was more than most threads had in the last week or so that weren't stickied.

The conversations contained within were well thought out, and finally, I thought, there was a place where we could air out our feelings on the state of the game and put in some constructive criticism that we hoped the devs would see (since they said that they read the forums and take our ideas to heart). And then without warning, the thread was closed with "Please make a thread which focuses on which aspects of D&D you would like to be expanded rather than a broad claim."

Which, to my understanding, is exactly what we were doing in our conversation. So, that being said, I'm posting this as a continuation of that thread, so please, sound off and answer the question. What do you want to see broadened as D&D fans, as opposed to what we have now?

Original thread can be found http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?335341-More-D-amp-D-and-less-of-whatever-this-is-please/
Post edited by trocan678 on

Comments

• flamexsoldierflamexsoldier Member Posts: 89
    edited June 2013
    I would like to see more puzzles in the game. All we got were the one in the plague tower that was just the same thing over and over and over.
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I would love if there were faction quests such as assassin's guild, mage's guild, etc like what you find in Elder Scrolls series. All of the quests so far have all been very generic and all geared towards good alignments. It would be nice if we could see at the very least a couple "greed" or evil style quests. The foundry has a couple but unfortunately they lack the ability to affect the rest of the game after they are completed.

Player housing would be another area that could be expanded on using a Foundry like system...
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I would like to see more puzzles in the game. All we got were the one in the plague tower that was just the same thing over and over and over.

Puzzles are sort of useless because you can always ALT+TAB google for the answers... /shrug
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Dual classing
    Factions
    Alignment
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • itdude123itdude123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would like Foundry content to be a little more in-depth. If you have a few good foundaries made and get a lot of positive reviews and plays, then I think it should gradually open up more advanced options (tougher bosses, better loot etc). Those advanced foundaries could go through a QA process before being released to ensure balance and no-hacks etc. I would love to see a "DM leveling" kind of setup. :)
  • trocan678trocan678 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 65
    edited June 2013
    lltsnwn wrote: »
    Puzzles are sort of useless because you can always ALT+TAB google for the answers... /shrug

Yeah, but GW2 managed to get around that with jumping puzzles. Even if you look up the answers, it was still ridiculously hard to get around some of them... especially the clocktower puzzle they had at their halloween event. If they managed to implement things like that...that may work.
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Well off the top of my head, I would think having some sort of skill checks involved, AC hit or miss, tons of diverse spells to choose from...... and as im thinking of these things i realize it would be out of scope with the base game design. There limited with what they have created it seems to me.

But i do have some ideas that i think could be implemented with this current format:

Passive character growth for one, There seems to be an awful lot of emphasis on timers and cooldowns and gizmos... This does not supply a D&D feel. It supplies a Diablo3 feel.

I also think the way we lvl is way out of whack, and feels "unnatural" Theres no reason to have to go all the way to 60. Its not necessary. Give us 20-40 lvls, make them 3 times as hard to obtain. And twice as powerful.

Numbers scaling. Whats with all the 22000 type numbers. LoL *points at number* That number is not a D&D number. 50 dmg can be just as effective as 22000. Tone down the bizarre scaling.

And DM intervention. This is the most important. There needs to be a couple actual "eye in the sky" real time DMs on there now and again. Looking out for little RP pockets and getting involved directly either in a very small and limited way all the way up to whatever mechanics and design of the game will allow. It then gives RP a warmer D&D feel even when DMs are not present. It breeds a better quality of play, and gives RP some relevance at least.

Dying, theres just got to be more repercussions when dying. That does not feel like D&D when you lose nothing for kicking the bucket.

Traps, locked doors, better companion control, cross classing, required skill checks for, like almost every other action.... could literally go on for days with this. Anything D&D, Everything D&D.
    edited June 2013
    Options and DM intervention.

This game is an actionMMO.

This game does not have the capacity to be D&D imho.

This games sole purpose is to attract the much larger wow gen player pool. WOTC must get a slice of the mmo pie.

This game is not designed for the D&D community.
  • flamexsoldierflamexsoldier Member Posts: 89
    edited June 2013

Yeah but if people WANT to figure them out then the option to not ALT+TAB is there.
  • agnustheholyagnustheholy Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I think the foundy is a great d&d element already in game that can be expanded. To quote the cliche "the possibilities are infinite!". In this case they really are! With the options available now whole campaigns can already be created. But it can aways use improvements. However people should have in mind when requesting features for the Foundry that it should be approached with the "lets create adventures" mindset, and not the "let's mod Nerverwinter" mindset.

Alignment could be added, however it would remain a purely descriptive roleplaying tool, so consider you can already add it to your character sheet, just write it down in the history tab!
  • vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The foundry needs alternative objectives, currently it's very linear and limited.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Oh that's an easy an answer...

Make clerics real clerics, not these low damage, low healing, no buffing and gets dropped like a toilet seat versions.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Make clerics real clerics, not these low damage, low healing, no buffing and gets dropped like a toilet seat versions.

Emphatically no. The canonical 'D&D cleric' crippled MMO design for the first couple of generations.

A heavy armor wearing, self-healing class with good melee abilities and offensive magic? Why no, that's not overpowered at all.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited June 2013

How would that even work? "Real clerics" can choose from 500+ spells, all different. Real clerics can wear full plate and use a shield. You cant implement D&D into an actionMMO. The reason this game wont ever be D&D is its not supposed to be. In name only. At the very very least i would say DM intervention would be the single most important thing, role play would grow from this. The single most important element to any D&D game. Is it even possible?
  • kabothoriginalkabothoriginal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 465 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Emphatically no. The canonical 'D&D cleric' crippled MMO design for the first couple of generations.

A heavy armor wearing, self-healing class with good melee abilities and offensive magic? Why no, that's not overpowered at all.

Hmmmm and how many people are waiting for a cleric as is? Cleric is the MOST thankless and least played class already.

Clerics almost completely blow goats in this game in PVE, and if anyone half way knows what they are doing, clerics are junk in PVP.

So tell me what makes them so great again?

I have to disagree they "crippled" MMO's the cleric has ALWAYS been a cornerstone of any adventuring group. Just because you are a jealous hater doesn't mean they crippled anything.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

The Secret World did puzzles really well. Sure, you can Google the answers, but you could always solve them without the cheats if you wanted.

Another thing you can do with puzzles is to randomize the start conditions - e.g. in the Dead Rat's lair, there's a simple lever puzzle to drain the pit. If you randomized the start conditions, it'd be a lot harder. (And harder for the spoiler posters, with 15 possible initial states.)
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited June 2013
    Hmmmm and how many people are waiting for a cleric as is? Cleric is the MOST thankless and least played class already.

Not true. GF is least played. (This is based on queue times - GF is basically zero wait time, while DC actually has wait times)
    Clerics almost completely blow goats in this game in PVE,

You are doing it wrong.
    and if anyone half way knows what they are doing, clerics are junk in PVP.

PvP balance is a mirage. Cryptic will be chasing it as long as the game is alive.
    So tell me what makes them so great again?

You should try reading the posts. I didn't say that they were great. I said that the 'canonical D&D' cleric is overpowered. Not its Neverwinter incarnation.
    I have to disagree they "crippled" MMO's the cleric has ALWAYS been a cornerstone of any adventuring group.

Uh, so? In fact, the idea that the cleric is a cornerstone is a point in favor of it being overpowered, not the reverse.
    Just because you are a jealous hater doesn't mean they crippled anything.

You almost made it through without a personal attack. Too bad. Try harder next time.
    edited June 2013
    FYI, this game is based on 4E, and guess what, people hated that SO much, WoTC is already moving to 5E, they LOST money...

So I am guessing the voting and spending dollar of the actual consumer makes a statement. Just like this game will.

Clerics in this MMO, is definitely the red-headed step children, that's why most clerics I have talked to, already have a level 60 alt they will play something else.
    edited June 2013
    On the topic of puzzles, traps and locked doors. I would love to see this. And this can be implemented in an mmo format i think. The base game design doesnt need to change to accomadate this.

Traps for one in epic dungeons need to be fairly common and most of all they need to be able to kill your azzzz. This ties directly into dying. Which needs way more repercussions. Those alone would add a very very small D&D element.

Puzzles, lots of possibilities here. Hard puzzles that change every say 48 hours so once figured its not always a walk-through forever.
    Puzzles that prevent dungeon progression unless dealt with. Thats the two key elements there to add another very very small D&D element.

Locked doors, self explanatory. If you dont have a rogue in your party. Just turn around because your quest is over now. Simple. and D&D through and through.

All of these need rewards too. That will make them even more important and add yes, yet another very very small D&D element. Add this up and youve got a decent D&D element. The best part is, these seem like changes that can be implemented in an actionMMO, which by nature is option limited.

In short D&D is hard, that's what makes it great, its supposed to be hard. Thinking. Gotta get players to think more and mash buttons less.
    edited June 2013
    Not true. GF is least played. (This is based on queue times - GF is basically zero wait time, while DC actually has wait times)

You are doing it wrong.

PvP balance is a mirage. Cryptic will be chasing it as long as the game is alive.

You should try reading the posts. I didn't say that they were great. I said that the 'canonical D&D' cleric is overpowered. Not its Neverwinter incarnation.

Uh, so? In fact, the idea that the cleric is a cornerstone is a point in favor of it being overpowered, not the reverse.

You almost made it through without a personal attack. Too bad. Try harder next time.

Ohhhh we fall back on the L2P comment? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I am wrong... yes so much so my cleric if he decides to PUG and queue up, he's instantly in... yea his wait time isn't nothing.

heck I logged on this morning and had 4 tells for CN, I couldn't because I have my 5 year old son... But yea, I guess you're right clerics are a dime a dozen and simply amazing! No one is EVER waiting or announcing in multiple zones "LFM one DC (insert GS here).

LOL ohhhh k. :-/
  • vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Multi-Classing: In 4e the multiclassing feature was revamped, it's different from what it was in the previous versions of d&d; there are multiclass feats that allow us to take class features and powers of another class, also power-swap feats and paragon multiclassing. (This is explained in the d&d4e player's handbook p 208-209).

Short explanation:
    When you meet the requirements you can choose to take a multiclassing feat of 1 class (each feat has it's own requirement, e.g: Pact Initiate (Requirement: 13 Cha - Character chooses 1 skill viable for a warlock (Arcana, Bluff, History, Insight, Intimidate, Religion, Street-wise, Thievery), and an eldrich's blast of choice).
    After than you choose the multiclassing feat, you can take power-swap feats: Novice (At-will), Acolyte (Utility), Adept (Daily); of the other class and swap it for one of your main class powers.
    Lastly, if you have all the power-swap feats, you can choose paragon multiclassing, that allows you to take powers of the secondary class and follow it as a paragon path, instead of taking a paragon path of your class.

Also, the paragon paths should not only have passive powers (+5% defense, etc), but encounter and daily powers as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    bracer2 wrote: »
    Well off the top of my head, I would think having some sort of skill checks involved, AC hit or miss, tons of diverse spells to choose from...... and as im thinking of these things i realize it would be out of scope with the base game design. There limited with what they have created it seems to me.
    Well, even the original game was D&D game was quite limited when it first came out.
    There's plenty of time to expand.

The base game design already supports skill checks. Rudimentary at the moment, but I would love to see them become more robust.
    More spells abilties and powers for each class would also be nice - but there's time for that.
    I think they're off on a great start.
    edited June 2013
    Locked doors, self explanatory. If you dont have a rogue in your party. Just turn around because your quest is over now. Simple. and D&D through and through.

Making a certain class required to progress is bad design, though. Unless you're going to have checks for different classes? And then what will you do when there are seven classes and five to a party?
    In short D&D is hard, that's what makes it great, its supposed to be hard. Thinking. Gotta get players to think more and mash buttons less.

Actually all your suggestions are more in the line of DDO rather than NW. NW was designed to be an action MMO. So they set out from the beginning to make a button masher.
    edited June 2013
    vold316 wrote: »
    Multi-Classing: In 4e the multiclassing feature was revamped, it's different from what it was in the previous versions of d&d; there are multiclass feats that allow us to take class features and powers of another class, also power-swap feats and paragon multiclassing. (This is explained in the d&d4e player's handbook p 208-209).

Short explanation:
    When you meet the requirements you can choose to take a multiclassing feat of 1 class (each feat has it's own requirement, e.g: Pact Initiate (Requirement: 13 Cha - Character chooses 1 skill viable for a warlock (Arcana, Bluff, History, Insight, Intimidate, Religion, Street-wise, Thievery), and an eldrich's blast of choice).
    After than you choose the multiclassing feat, you can take power-swap feats: Novice (At-will), Acolyte (Utility), Adept (Daily); of the other class and swap it for one of your main class powers.
    Lastly, if you have all the power-swap feats, you can choose paragon multiclassing, that allows you to take powers of the secondary class and follow it as a paragon path, instead of taking a paragon path of your class.

Also, the paragon paths should not only have passive powers (+5% defense, etc), but encounter and daily powers as well.

I think multi-classing would be fun, but I also think it would be a nightmare to balance. Probably beyond Cryptic's capabilities :(
    edited June 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    Well, even the original game was D&D game was quite limited when it first came out.
    There's plenty of time to expand.

The base game design already supports skill checks. Rudimentary at the moment, but I would love to see them become more robust.
    More spells abilties and powers for each class would also be nice - but there's time for that.
    I think they're off on a great start.

Its not a bad start. But its also clear that creating the complex D&D environment so many of us want doesn't seem to be the "goal". However there is time to expand. I still contest that the game is intended to grab at a larger audience. The wildly popular wow gen mmo stuff. If this is true, and i believe it is. Implementing classic D&D ideologies isnt going to happen. Hope im dead wrong though.:)
  • riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    FYI, this game is based on 4E, and guess what, people hated that SO much, WoTC is already moving to 5E, they LOST money...

So I am guessing the voting and spending dollar of the actual consumer makes a statement. Just like this game will.

Clerics in this MMO, is definitely the red-headed step children, that's why most clerics I have talked to, already have a level 60 alt they will play something else.
    Haha
    Several people in my guild are leveling Cleric alts.
    I'm having fun with mine so far.
    Doesn't really feel like a D&D Cleric. But, it's OK.
    Healing others is more of a challenge in Neverwinter than other MMOs.
    edited June 2013
    Its not a bad start. But its also clear that creating the complex D&D environment so many of us want doesn't seem to be the "goal". However there is time to expand. I still contest that the game is intended to grab at a larger audience. The wildly popular wow gen mmo stuff. If this is true, and i believe it is. Implementing classic D&D ideologies isnt going to happen. Hope im dead wrong though.:)
    Yeah, it's an action MMO, so classic D&D is gonna be tough.
    Neverwinter has captured D&D lore exceedingly well.
    The combat roles are kind of OK.
    There's room for some growth. I dunno about adding complexity.
    edited June 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    Haha
    Several people in my guild are leveling Cleric alts.
    I'm having fun with mine so far.
    Doesn't really feel like a D&D Cleric. But, it's OK.
    Healing others is more of a challenge in Neverwinter than other MMOs.

Yea pre-60 Cleric is exciting and fun, post 60 its another story.
    edited June 2013
    Making a certain class required to progress is bad design, though. Unless you're going to have checks for different classes? And then what will you do when there are seven classes and five to a party?

Its not as simple as pulling one sentence from the overall point. If youve got cross classing that helps, then dungeoneering in dungeons could work, as nature skill in outdoor environment ect,ect. Its always gonna be difficult to "suggest" ways to put D&D into and actionMMO. There will always be room for argument and no one can "prove" they are right. Regardless more D&D. Now this seems to be part of the problem as D&D is most certainly defined differently by players. For me, my perspective comes from 2nd ed to 3.5. As i dont like the early core versions and i just cant stand 4e.

Actually all your suggestions are more in the line of DDO rather than NW. NW was designed to be an action MMO. So they set out from the beginning to make a button masher.

DDO isnt fun for me and NWN/NWN2 ive played for 7 years. What i am looking for along with a large number of other players is NWN2/DDO remade and improved. With awesome graphics and a flawless walkmesh and of course some kind of D&D core rules to run it all. Most of us agree it should not be the dumbed down quadruple garbage 4e though. As for me i thought that this game would be just that. And at least so far has been disappointing.
  • cthutubecthutube Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Duel classing would be cool. It feels wrong to play a dwarf cleric without a warhammer. More classes are needed as well.