test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Man, do I wish you didn't level so quickly in this game!

Comments

• morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I totally agree with you, and what else to add to the poster just above you : he just did not even bother to read my post (second being just some precisions of the first for people whom don't know the game or are pretty idiotic) and yet thinks he can answer and criticize.

You essentially said "less exp makes no difference to levelling speed", which is about as factually incorrect as a statement can be, and then went on to say "X Y and Z give waaay too much exp!", and thus I suggested not doing X Y and Z. It's not exactly rocket science.

It's more or less designed so that everyone can level at an appreciable speed doing what they like to do. This has the corrolary that if you're a massive completionist and must do EVERYTHING, then you'll level faster than the story content can keep up.

And ultimately, of that content, the only thing you're locked out of, in any real sense, is skirmishes. And I accept: that's unfortunate. It would be nice if you could somehow queue for overlevelled skirmishes in the manner you can for dungeons, but other than that it all seems fine. I quite like the fact I can even SEE some endgame content in the time I have available, and I expect I'm not alone in this.
  • manasiremanasire Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Got to agree with the original poster. Personally, I think not only do players level way too fast, but also, content is way too easy.I like my rewards to be earned through effort, and I enjoy taking my time to explore the enviroment. Currently, Neverwinter doesn't really encourage this type of gameplay. Now, I fully appreciate people have different expectations from this type of game and nobody as far I'm concerned, is 'wrong', in relation to the pacing or difficulty of the game, but the devs are clearly making concessions in an attempt make everyone - and their bank balance happy, as expected.Well, I don't know how, but there must be some way to make both styles of play available, don't you think? Afterall, if PW want my real cash then I need to be given something that makes me want to stick around. Just saying,I'm not complaining, and I do understand most of us suffer some level of time starvation in our daily lives. Anyway, cheers all.
    A wise man learns more from a foolish question, than a fool learns from a wise answer.
  • chipsterchipster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    manasire wrote: »
    Got to agree with the original poster. Personally, I think not only do players level way too fast, but also, content is way too easy.I like my rewards to be earned through effort, and I enjoy taking my time to explore the enviroment. Currently, Neverwinter doesn't really encourage this type of gameplay. Now, I fully appreciate people have different expectations from this type of game and nobody as far I'm concerned, is 'wrong', in relation to the pacing or difficulty of the game, but the devs are clearly making concessions in an attempt make everyone - and their bank balance happy, as expected.Well, I don't know how, but there must be some way to make both styles of play available, don't you think? Afterall, if PW want my real cash then I need to be given something that makes me want to stick around. Just saying,I'm not complaining, and I do understand most of us suffer some level of time starvation in our daily lives. Anyway, cheers all.

Too bad for you, the game isn't only cater to addictive gamer 24/7 or grind fest. You can go slow, or spent some of your time in real-life.

Cheer~
  • kelanoriakelanoria Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    chipster wrote: »
    Too bad for you, the game isn't only cater to addictive gamer 24/7 or grind fest. You can go slow, or spent some of your time in real-life.

Cheer~

such a stupid comment, where do you read anywhere in the post you are quoting that this person is playing 24/7. to me he/she sounds like a reasonable person, way more than you do. now you, perhaps, should try and spend more time in real-life, maybe your communication skill would improve a bit.
  • agbadehanagbadehan Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    If you're leveling too rapidly then play less often or spend less time doing things that level your character?

Here's a perspective:

My first character was capped in 5 days.
    My Second character I have been working on for about... 3 weeks now. Why? Because I'm taking my time and enjoying the journey. Also because level one to 35 as GWF is bull**** but I digress, lol.
  • kelanoriakelanoria Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    some ppl realy dont get it and/or dont read it all, which is ok but...

3 weeks ? taking your time and enjoying your journey ? ok that s how you feel bout it, what some of us mean is : i have a lvl 31 rogue, i started the toon 3 weeks ago also approx, guess what, this is way too fast to my taste.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    agbadehan wrote: »
    My Second character I have been working on for about... 3 weeks now. Why? Because I'm taking my time and enjoying the journey.

Enjoying the journey how? Everything (except chatting) gives XP.
  • agbadehanagbadehan Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    With my first toon, a rogue, I blazed to 60 in five days. Leveling is pretty fast in this game so figured maybe I should slow down as much as possible, so I did just that on my GWF. I didn't do a gimp build or anything. I just spaced out my gameplay, read everything and took in the world/lore of Neverwinter. Still got pretty high in a short amount of time though (currently 57). Still, three weeks is a pretty long time for this game compared to my first run through.

EDIT: Honestly, all of this would be fixed if prayer, foundry, pvp and those mini games in zones didn't give exp. All they really need to give is AD.

EDIT 2: And I guess base exp could be lowered a bit. It would still be <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> easy to cap in this game. =|
    edited June 2013
    Firstly, thanks for you support to my comment above. I'm not really sure what I said to upset that person, but hey, bit like the game I guess, can't make everyone happy all the time. :) Seems to me some people say 3 weeks or whatever, but I'm assuming they mean the length of time they've had a toon, not actual in game time, surely? Still, I'm with you, maybe we just like more depth and variety to our gameplay - a more methodical approach. Still,sometimes I think certain players would like a DnD twitcher ! Not quite sure I like the sound of that. Hopefully devs will balance over time and we can all be happy, including that guy above :)
    A wise man learns more from a foolish question, than a fool learns from a wise answer.
    edited June 2013
    kelanoria wrote: »
    some ppl realy dont get it and/or dont read it all, which is ok but...

3 weeks ? taking your time and enjoying your journey ? ok that s how you feel bout it, what some of us mean is : i have a lvl 31 rogue, i started the toon 3 weeks ago also approx, guess what, this is way too fast to my taste.

Firstly, thanks for you support to my comment above. I'm not really sure what I said to upset that person, but hey, bit like the game I guess, can't make everyone happy all the time. :) Seems to me some people say 3 weeks or whatever, but I'm assuming they mean the length of time they've had a toon, not actual in game time, surely? Still, I'm with you, maybe we just like more depth and variety to our gameplay - a more methodical approach. Still,sometimes I think certain players would like a DnD twitcher ! Not quite sure I like the sound of that. Hopefully devs will balance over time and we can all be happy, including that guy above :)
  • akostisakostis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited June 2013
    Well, leveling fast just puts you at lvl 60 which is a death sentence for any mmo player that likes to have things to do. At 60 its all over as there are no dungeon partys to speak of, well a few in queue during DD event but not many.

Regards
  • jacki3chan1jacki3chan1 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The other thing I wish this game had less of are trolls. They regenerate way too quickly as well.

This made my day :D
  • wolfrat14wolfrat14 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I agree with this thread, and I have a full-time job and a 2-year old son. I only get to play a few hours a week, but my characters are all rapidly leveling just doing Leadership Professions and the thrice daily invocation. I do not think XP should be given for logging into the game, using a Portable Altar, and pressing CTRL-I. I have characters that have not done a quest since level 11 and are now level 21 just from a few weeks of only doing 'Protect the Caravan' and Invocation. That much XP for doing next to nothing is simply idiotic and annoying. Some of us enjoy the journey as much as the final destination.
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    traveller5 wrote: »
    azianfox thank you for your service. though i have to disagree with you. I am an old solder that was mmo'ing before it came popular. started out with PNP, if you screwed up you died and had to work for your levels. i was able to soldier and Mud at the same time. multi user dungeon. all text based. if you died you lost a level which at the higher levels could relate to weeks of work. it made you think and be careful. not just running into 50 mobs because you didnt have to worry about death. you would plan out strategy, had to have a balanced party. this game play is just not offered in the graphical world, so follks like us that like to work for our levels have no where to go. basically our market is gone unless we want to play text based muds again. and now we are butting heads with folks that want everything handed to them on a silver platter cuz they are too busy. and the game companies cater to them as they dont want to lose a source of revenue. why are we butting heads? we have two different ideas of the games we want to play unfortunately for us their are none so consquently some of us complain in forums like this, mostly just waisting breath.

12yr batmud player reporting for duty.
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    gaerolth wrote: »
    Problem is there isn't enough content. If they slowed down the leveling people would be forced to grind away.
    There is plenty of content for leveling. If there wasn't you would not have people complaining about outleveling skirmishes and dungeons. Apart from the story quests I only did 3 Foundry quests, and by the time I hit the Spellplague Chasm I was already at 55th Level. I hit 60th in Roth
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sanmercisanmerci Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There's a PnP game that actually suggests a way to modify the leveling experience that might be applicable here: instead of changing the rewards, give players different goals based on the path they choose (slow, medium, or fast). In the PnP game, this is accomplished by simply setting the XP needed for next level at different amounts for each path. In an mmo, however, this could be accomplished in any number of ways- nerf (or remove) XP for certain non-essential tasks, increase goals, reduce base XP, etc.... but ONLY for players leveling on the SLOW path. People on the MEDIUM path might be as now, or might be slightly reduced, while people on the FAST path would get to endgame quickly. Given that someone else's leveling experience and path does not impact your personal experience (is this a false assumption? If so, why?), is there any reason this couldn't work?
  • zombie98zombie98 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't mind the quick leveling aspect for one very good reason. There are plenty of other MMO games that are slow as **** on the leveling speed curve.

I'm sorry, but for those who dislike the speedy leveling of this game, you have to realize that there are tons of games that cater to that need but very few that allow for a quicker progression that is ideal for people that are very busy, like myself.

With working, going to school full-time, and adjusting my plans constantly to family time and time for my girlfriend, I rarely, if ever, get to spend time doing my hobbies. I think it's refreshing, and if I may, refreshing as **** to have a game that I can get somewhere in without spending a days worth of my time playing. Let us have a game that we busy people can get good in without spending our weekends entirely upon, for once, please.
  • triggerlocktriggerlock Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My own opinion, but I suspect it's working as intended as PWE (not Cryptic) pull the strings and probably work on the assumption that fast levelling is financially beneficial for several reasons, just off the top of my head I can think of:

1. Saves them money as less game content is needed in a game where the maximum level is reached quickly (logically one would think that a game that takes say, 200 hours to reach max level would require more levelling content than a game that takes say 100 hours) and less content means that they pay the games studio that develops the game less money to develop it.

2. Getting the players to max level probably means that they are more likely to spend real money on the game, as a max level character probably makes players feel that they have more 'invested' in the game as opposed to a character half way to max level (even though both characters may have the same amount of hours played).

3. There is more likelyhood of real money being spent by max level characters, as the sweet gear that players may feel they need at that level costs so much more (than lower level gear that is outlevelled quickly) additionally for those players with less time to play/grind spending real money may be the most realistic way that they can get some of the gear.

Now please dont beat me with a stick, it's just my opinion, but given the rapacious real money pricing structure* existing in Neverwinter it is unlikely that a company wanting to make money as quickly as PWE is on Neverwinter would want to reduce their profit margin by paying for more levelling content to be developed for inclusion in the game.

* My own opinion, but not many companies offer real money transactions in the 200 and 60 dollar/euro range during the beta of a game nor offer such poor value such as 10 dollar/euro for a bag for a character that is bound to that character. However, this is the monetary model PWE have chosen and it is of course their right to charge what they like for items/services they are offering, but this could be considered illustrative of PWE's stance on making profit from Neverwinter so, in my opinion, I would think that the chance of them reducing that profit through expenditure on more levelling content would be slim to non-existant.
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jpnole wrote: »
    Why do people ***** about leveling too fast? Some of us aren't basement dwellers with 24/7 gaming lives.

No need to fit the stereotype of basement dweller to level too fast. Even most casual gamers can get to max level in a week.

It helps the game when the same people are around a few months after they began playing, and having something to do other than repeating all the same things they did before incentivizes that.
  • frontfootfrontfoot Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I agree with the OP, I found the levelling process too fast. I am not talking about how long elapsed but rather how many hours of game play it takes to get through all the levelling content. I quite enjoy levelling and working my way up to 60, for me I enjoy the journey as much as reaching the end game, but I felt I hit max level very quickly and felt dissapointed. Regardless of if it takes someone 5 days or 5 months elapsed to hit max level I suspect most people would work through a zone in a couple of hours of game play. I'd like to spend longer than that in a zone, to explore the zone, enjoy the vistas, get to know the area, the NPC's and generally feel I am "in that zone". However since the amount of gameplay time to complete all the content in one zone is quite short (regardless of if you are casual and those hours are spread over days or hardcore doing multiple zones in 1 day) I found I never really stayed long enough in a zone to enjoy it as much as I'd like to have done.

For the more casual player who can only log on once per week and wishes to "rush" to level 60, I'd like to see the "rested" xp boost that other games offer, increases the XP gains for those who have little time and do not wish to spend as much time in a zone as I would like to.
  • toyeverdaletoyeverdale Member Posts: 91
    edited June 2013
    I think if there were more ways to earn exp, then adventuring exp can be turned down. However, I think the current path allows for deep alt-itis for those who dedicate time to playing often and still enough gains for those with little time to devote to a handful of characters.
  • ragnarokvr1ragnarokvr1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why the hell should we level slower? Leveling is a keep-players-playing mechanism anyway, in moderns MMOs it shouldn't even exist.

It's an utterly pointless system of a bygone era.

"Oh, you want to go there? You can't, you're not high level enough."

"I'm gonna be high level enough in 2 months anyway what's the point?"

"Well, WoW and Everquest had leveling so this game has to have leveling too."

"Right..."
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    +1 I totally agree with the op.

The needitnowtodaybeforeitstoolate crowd is not the D&D crowd. Slowing the pace of leveling 25-75% will hurt noone. The Foundry, "the journey", the D&D IP, all lean towards a slower pace. Even with adjusting the xp awards -25-75%, the needitnowtodaybeforeitstoolate crowd will still level within a week... yet it ill provide a much better enjoyment for the rest of us that believes the "journey" doesnt start at 60, but when you roll your character.

Just my two coppers.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
    edited June 2013
    Why the hell should we level slower?

Easy. Because that's where 99% of the game's content resides! Some people, actually want to "experience the ride" to the top. And I hate to tell you, they aren't all born in the 1950s either...

Oh and another thing, if it weren't for those old timers "from a bygone era", the great majority of kick asss Foundry content wouldnt exist... and that so happens to be the lead marketing item, and most players favorite part of the game (and it even scales regardless what level you happen to be).

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    +1 I totally agree with the op.

The needitnowtodaybeforeitstoolate crowd is not the D&D crowd. Slowing the pace of leveling 25-75% will hurt noone. The Foundry, "the journey", the D&D IP, all lean towards a slower pace. Even with adjusting the xp awards -25-75%, the needitnowtodaybeforeitstoolate crowd will still level within a week... yet it ill provide a much better enjoyment for the rest of us that believes the "journey" doesnt start at 60, but when you roll your character.

Just my two coppers.

Yes, yes it will hurt people. It will hurt everyone except people who LIKE to beat their heads against things over and over and over again just to grind out a level

I don't think you understand that this is not WoW, where everyone has 2-3 zones to pick from where they want to level and people take for granted the sheer amount of content they have to work with.

This game is very very very fragile in its leveling system. If you nerf ANYTHING, you would throw off that fragile balance and start forcing people to do things they do not want to do like pvp, dungeon, quest, or the foundry (or if they refuse, the all time low of grinding mobs to get to the next level so they can move on to the next zone). Everyone should not be forced to do everything, that is a silly mindset.

Furthermore, if the dev team would get off their butts and work on the sidekicking mechanic like they should have done before this game was released into open beta (and subsequently launch, since it apparently STILL wont be there for that) then 80%(Why yes, I did pull this number out of my backside) of these issues people are having with "ermagerd i dun outleveled de content" would cease to exist OVERNIGHT.

Even further, if exp was converted into gold at level 60, people would have even the mildest incentive to do anything since the crowd you seem to care about most is the crowd that complains when they get to 60 and "have nothing to do".
  • ragnarokvr1ragnarokvr1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Easy. Because that's where 99% of the game's content resides! Some people, actually want to "experience the ride" to the top. And I hate to tell you, they aren't all born in the 1950s either...

Oh and another thing, if it weren't for those old timers "from a bygone era", the great majority of kick asss Foundry content wouldnt exist... and that so happens to be the lead marketing item, and most players favorite part of the game (and it even scales regardless what level you happen to be).

I do all the content in a game whether it's below my level or not, because I do it for the story. I don't need someone to reward me for enjoying the story.
  • pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I experienced the ride just fine. I don't need you to slow the ride down for me to enjoy it (Some people like them even faster than I do *shrugs* who am I to tell them they can't enjoy that?). I already have a hard time getting engaged in leveling alts because of the massive lack of content on subsequent playthroughs, and now you want to slow that process down even more?

Foundry exp was already given a major nerf. My only outlet now is mucking through the same quests I've already done, waiting possibly an hour or more for dungeon queues (Cause let me tell you, boy, you have not had fun till you sit in a dungeon queue for over an hour only to miss it when you run to the bathroom), or PVP which is soon to be nerfed and made to cater to bots (Because honestly, every bot I have seen goes straight to the middle and spams a pre-set attack combination. That means your "participation" clause is useless by the way. And we'll no longer have the ability to kick known bots before the match starts, or people who don't zone in thanks to that system also being bugged). Yep. Sounds super duper fun to me!

And this is coming from a diehard roleplayer, who spends most of her time roleplaying. So don't you get the idea in your head that I'm some rush to the end meathead.

Edit: Oh, and don't even get me started on the foundry which "scales to your level". Sure, it scales to the leaders level. That doesn't help when you are level 40 and your friends are 22. The foundry, which is touted by you guys as a mostly single player tool, which boggles my mind with the potential it has to be something much greater.

My slightly aggressive four coppers, sir.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I have to agree with this..in EQ I could give less than two damns about the level or XP I was getting, because the ride was so **** engrossing, it was engrossing because it was still new, developers need need need to look at the damned journey instead of saying this is the level path people will blow through/here is the copypasta end game that pretty much either pisses off or divides the community.

Give us depth! Engross us, I want to go back to the days when my friends and I would spend hours trying to find the underground lair that was rumored to be somewhere outside of Halas, I want dynamic to be more than a friggin buzz word (which can happen with the foundry provided they give us more tools and freedom) this isn't a casual or hardcore newbie or oldster thing...this is a D&D player and anyone else who is damned sick of a short meaningless journey to yet another short and meaningless end game thing.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited June 2013
    pizzamurai wrote: »
    This game is very very very fragile in its leveling system.

Not from my seat. The most fragile thing in this game to me is the blinding speed to get to the end game which causes a complete disenfranchisement with the characters we build.

Cardboard cookiecutter characters, Cardboard cookiecutter gear. Thank God for the Foundry.

And dont EVER put my name in a conversation about wow again, please. I don't judge my D&D enjoyment from wow. No ropleplayer/ D&D enthusiast worth their weight would even try.

Nice avatar though... do you have a fever!?

edited June 2013
    I have to agree with this..in EQ I could give less than two damns about the level or XP I was getting, because the ride was so **** engrossing, it was engrossing because it was still new, developers need need need to look at the damned journey instead of saying this is the level path people will blow through/here is the copypasta end game that pretty much either pisses off or divides the community.

Give us depth! Engross us, I want to go back to the days when my friends and I would spend hours trying to find the underground lair that was rumored to be somewhere outside of Halas, I want dynamic to be more than a friggin buzz word (which can happen with the foundry provided they give us more tools and freedom) this isn't a casual or hardcore newbie or oldster thing...this is a D&D player and anyone else who is damned sick of a short meaningless journey to yet another short and meaningless end game thing.

I agree with this.

The game was fairly engrossing right up till the end of the Nasher story, and then everything got very very generic shortly after. Minimal story, minimal reason. Dungeons give no explanation or story. Skirmishes give even less, just throw a boss and some minions at you and say "they need to die".

I agree even more that the foundry needs some massive expansions done to it, specially if it's going to be the main feature of this game. (and for gods sake add sidekicking so people can do it TOGETHER)