test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Now Available - "Pre-Patching" Upcoming Neverwinter Content

dezstravusdezstravus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey Everyone,

The Neverwinter Launcher now has a feature that allows it to begin downloading data for the next version. This makes it so that when a new patch is released, you can already have a majority of the data and can begin playing more quickly.

This feature is automatically enabled, and will automatically open up a version of the Neverwinter Launcher when you close the game. The Launcher will then begin to download data files that will support the next Neverwinter patch. You can close this process at any time, and your download progress is saved.

Once the download completes, the Neverwinter Launcher will close automatically.

Thank you!
Post edited by dezstravus on

Comments

• Options
    twisted0utlawtwisted0utlaw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This explains the random patches people are experiencing
  • Options
    mh0rammh0ram Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This seems to have broken my game. I can't get in, first was stuck at the cryptic screen, now I'm stuck at the launcher. Have followed every cryptic game's forums instructions for getting around this. Uninstall, Install. **** patch is ****.
  • Options
    grimtoothgrimtooth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    maybe you can disable it, maybe.
  • Options
    barambalnwnbarambalnwn Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, it's a good thing, but... would've been nice to know before it was implemented.
    I didn't read anything about it anywhere.
  • Options
    grimtoothgrimtooth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    you can bypass this by making on demand patching off and fast launch is on, this just worked for me and got in game. In the launcher options
  • Options
    komarr13komarr13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

The Neverwinter Launcher now has a feature that allows it to begin downloading data for the next version. This makes it so that when a new patch is released, you can already have a majority of the data and can begin playing more quickly.

This feature is automatically enabled, and will automatically open up a version of the Neverwinter Launcher when you close the game. The Launcher will then begin to download data files that will support the next Neverwinter patch. You can close this process at any time, and your download progress is saved.

Thank you! We hope you guys are excited for the upcoming changes to Neverwinter!

I've tried three times. The patch starts over from the neginning each time. And no, I do not have on-demand patching disabled.
  • Options
    ricktacularricktacular Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The same thing was done with City of Heroes - quit game, huge patch backloads, patch is ready. I wasn't too surprised given that there is talks in the works about the patch/expansion/Live release.
  • Options
    dezstravusdezstravus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    komarr13 wrote: »
    I've tried three times. The patch starts over from the neginning each time. And no, I do not have on-demand patching disabled.

Thanks for the info. That does not sound like the intended functionality. We will keep an eye out for more reports of this and will triage accordingly.
  • Options
    kneekikneeki Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Is there a torrent of this patch available for use? I'm experiencing some awful speeds using the Launcher tool.
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That would explain why launcher is popping after turning off the game.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The launcher flickers for an instant something about a controller, then get's stuck at loading launcher. Help me out here Devs! Over an hour of this frustrating stuff.
  • Options
    elarti1985elarti1985 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mh0ram wrote: »
    This seems to have broken my game. I can't get in, first was stuck at the cryptic screen, now I'm stuck at the launcher. Have followed every cryptic game's forums instructions for getting around this. Uninstall, Install. **** patch is ****.

I have the same problem... I am unable to log in to the game for couple of days now... It allways says that there is some patching error :/
  • Options
    soltaswordsoltasword Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Mine starts from scratch every time as well. Tried several times now and it still starts from scratch. Even went into the prepatch folder and deleted everything out of it to see if it helps improve the speed. Got to 1350mb in a few seconds before it went back to crawling along super super slow.
  • Options
    lordcasiolordcasio Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the same problem
  • Options
    adronsonadronson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    No luck for me. My game has been attempting to patch for about 10 hours. I've closed and restarted several times.

Are there any specific instructions for turning it off? "Disable On-Demand Patching" does not work. "Fast Launch" does not work.

And why in heaven's name did you drop this at the beginning of a weekend?
  • Options
    jexlojexlo Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for the info. That does not sound like the intended functionality. We will keep an eye out for more reports of this and will triage accordingly.

mine is the same as it is for several others in my guild also
  • Options
    aelaenaelaen Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Same here. I lost conenction (computer went to sleep) and it started from the beginning. I'm 8+ hours into the download, I don't want to risk it even if it kills all of my time to play today.

I've already lost more time to this then to the Caturday exploit, and this is all on PWE/Cryptic unlike then. I hope the "We're sorry" pack is better than the last - give combat gear stats, or make it cosmetic gear.
  • Options
    kasuharikasuhari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, it's a good thing, but... would've been nice to know before it was implemented.
    I didn't read anything about it anywhere.

Wasn't that big of a deal, took me around 45 Minutes to get it all download and patched. I guess if your Internet is running on a Toaster then it would take much longer, but that's not PW fault.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    adronson wrote: »
    Quoted for truth. Some of us work during the week.
  • Options
    lilahmcmanuslilahmcmanus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey Everyone,

Thank you! We hope you guys are excited for the upcoming changes to Neverwinter!

my launcher doesn't have on demand patch off and doesn't have quick launch enabled and still no patch for me although while reading all the bad comments i'm kinda glad it didn't start patching at all
  • Options
    kneekikneeki Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As others have posted. My download was going fine, until it appears someone just pulled the plug. Download speed was roughly 1-2Mb/sec, then, all of a sudden... WHAM! If I was lucky it's 10k/sec.

2BzKC09.jpg
  • Options
    frakblarghfrakblargh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Set on demand patching to off and fast launch to on, closed the launcher and restarted - no dice. Patch progress did not save state and is starting all over again. Really Cryptic..*sigh*..can't you even get this right? And on a weekend? :mad:
  • Options
    kasuharikasuhari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    frakblargh wrote: »
    Set on demand patching to off and fast launch to on, closed the launcher and restarted - no dice. Patch progress did not save state and is starting all over again. Really Cryptic..*sigh*..can't you even get this right?

Work fine for me, take me less then an hours. Maybe you just have bad Internet.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    adronson wrote: »
    No luck for me. My game has been attempting to patch for about 10 hours. I've closed and restarted several times.

Are there any specific instructions for turning it off? "Disable On-Demand Patching" does not work. "Fast Launch" does not work.

Yeah, that ^
  • Options
    nemesiswarlocknemesiswarlock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This isn't related to the Public Test Shard?
  • Options
    adronsonadronson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kasuhari wrote: »
    I guess if your Internet is running on a Toaster then it would take much longer, but that's not PW fault.

I've got rock solid DOCSIS 3 -- 45M down/8M up -- and it is working as advertised. This thing has been trying to download for over 10 hours.
  • Options
    frakblarghfrakblargh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Verizon FIOS - no it's not bad Internet
  • Options
    pharillapharilla Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Same here, starts over from the beginning each time..
    Also the download is slow as a turtle... (yes also here internet is running great and is fast)
    Can't understand starting it in a weekend either...
    Been trying to let it run for 3 times now , stopped it one time to be able to play on my free day.. 1 time it gave me a memory error at 80% and threw me out and now the third time i quit it cause it was still on 1% after more then an hour...
    Guess ill get it in later in the coming week when things are sorted.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kasuhari wrote: »
    Work fine for me, take me less then an hours. Maybe you just have bad Internet.

During this very slow time, I downloaded a different MMO to try, it was 2.6 GB. Took about 15 minutes. Speed for the Neverwinter update didn't appreciably change - faster or slower - when I started or when it completed.

Been browsing the internet and it's nice and snappy, I don't have long delays getting pictures or loading pages that would indicate that my connection is being maxed either.
  • Options
    douglasjzdouglasjz Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kneeki wrote: »
    Is there a torrent of this patch available for use? I'm experiencing some awful speeds using the Launcher tool.

Same here. And every time it begins from start.