test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to fix clerics

zuldarzuldar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
With the nerf to astral shields, clerics all over the forum are scratching their heads as to how to keep their groups alive. And I have just the solution to fix it.

Punishing/Soothing light should no longer consume divinity but instead scale based on how much divinity you have left.

Easy peesy right?

Cryptic, you're welcome.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    That might be useful considering no cleric worth a **** uses them at lvl 60.
  • Options
    lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Some people may not show any interest in this post, or the other ones in regard to the Cleric patch topic.

But, I'll absolutely guarantee they will take notice when they experience the affect of the Cleric patch changes first hand when they run instances.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • Options
    maxwelsilvermaxwelsilver Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 48
    edited June 2013
    Give multiple options... how about a selectable feat to make Healing Touch inline with even a 6k pot without having to wait ten ticks? (like 2k a tick or better without divinity boost) Or hell, give Hallowed Ground the damage reduction of AS, and remove it from the divine AS completely and bring back the old cooldown timer.
  • Options
    maxwelsilvermaxwelsilver Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 48
    edited June 2013
    lyaise wrote: »
    Some people may not show any interest in this post, or the other ones with the similar Cleric patch topic.

But, I'll absolutely guarantee they will take notice when they experience the affect of the Cleric patch changes first hand when they run instances.

Especially when there won't be a cleric to be found for a group, and everyone is spending crazy Zen on Heal Stones.
  • Options
    alaric63alaric63 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Clerics will get sorted out. Balance changes make people crazy and cause people to see the sky falling. Go to the Test Server, if you can find it, and play. Make suggestions about balance and move on.

I expect some DC's to find the newest FotM, must have, class to run, but things will shake out. See the changes in action before you freak.

I don;t believe the DC's roll is to heal through all the damage they do now. I'm sure, with the emphasis the Dev's have put on Mobility, that the Damage Dealers are not supposed to just stand in the Red and take it. Clerics will have to "stop healing Stupid" here too. Maybe the Dev's don;t expect their dungeons to be the zerg-fests they are now. Maybe they want to encourage some skillful play. That would make the game's content last longer. Play on.
  • Options
    slipfeedslipfeed Member Posts: 0
    edited June 2013
    zuldar wrote: »
    With the nerf to astral shields, clerics all over the forum are scratching their heads as to how to keep their groups alive. And I have just the solution to fix it.

Punishing/Soothing light should no longer consume divinity but instead scale based on how much divinity you have left.

Easy peesy right?

Cryptic, you're welcome.

Clerics cant heal a party through a dungeon? Working as intended.

I don't know how much experience you have with perfect world, but that's pretty much part of their M.O.

Nerf healers so that the healer is unable to keep the group up and sell healing items in the cash shop.

Also, you will see massively over powered combat pets available only on the cash shop, and eventually item enhancement systems that will let you roll the dice with real money to upgrade your gear.

Look at any perfect world game. This is their business model.
  • Options
    fabaelfabael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited June 2013
    alaric63 wrote: »
    Clerics will get sorted out. Balance changes make people crazy and cause people to see the sky falling. Go to the Test Server, if you can find it, and play. Make suggestions about balance and move on.

I expect some DC's to find the newest FotM, must have, class to run, but things will shake out. See the changes in action before you freak.

I don;t believe the DC's roll is to heal through all the damage they do now. I'm sure, with the emphasis the Dev's have put on Mobility, that the Damage Dealers are not supposed to just stand in the Red and take it. Clerics will have to "stop healing Stupid" here too. Maybe the Dev's don;t expect their dungeons to be the zerg-fests they are now. Maybe they want to encourage some skillful play. That would make the game's content last longer. Play on.

I expect a lot of non cleric characters to get rude awakening post patch in their first dungeons, there is a thread on DC forum about a very well geared group on the test server T2/CN items mainly, where the cleric tested playing without AS, they had trouble on the trash let alone the boss.

As they lets see where the dice fall come patch.
  • Options
    bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Devs will not ever be able to please everyone, its simply impossible. The only way i can think of or imagine is to allow a free build environment, with cross classing options, massive spell lists, use magic device, ect. ect. Class balancing is nothing more then a point of view. Every player is bias to some extent, directly relating class balance to there main character. The only way to achieve class balance imho is to allow players to build there characters top to bottom with no restrictions or limitations on class possibilities. For as long as there is not a huge general feat list to choose from, and unending skill options "balance" will be dictated by the player majority and the limitations of the game mechanics and design. If players are allowed to build there characters as they see fit. As in 2nd ed to 3.5 then class balancing is now up to the player. Nothing else will ever work imho.
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The last thing most experienced Clerics want, especially those with experience from other action combat MMOs, is to have any sort of primary healing associated with unit targetting spells!

The reasons are not obvious until you have tried it yourself under difficult circumstances. But it is ... revealing.

Plenty of decent Clerics have completed all T2 solo, even in starter pvp gear. It just takes a bit more awareness of Powers, stat balance and positioning. If you want personal proof, check out videos online.

The core gameplay of existing endgame Clerics is fine and well-designed (new changes, other than AS no longer stacking, are NOT).

Also, why is this under General Discussion instead of the class forums? No one who does not play a Cleric can either understand any incoming changes, nor know what spells you are talking about or likely even what "Divinity" is...
  • Options
    gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    bracer2 wrote: »
    Devs will not ever be able to please everyone, its simply impossible. The only way i can think of or imagine is to allow a free build environment, with cross classing options, massive spell lists, use magic device, ect. ect. Class balancing is nothing more then a point of view. Every player is bias to some extent, directly relating class balance to there main character. The only way to achieve class balance imho is to allow players to build there characters top to bottom with no restrictions or limitations on class possibilities. For as long as there is not a huge general feat list to choose from, and unending skill options "balance" will be dictated by the player majority and the limitations of the game mechanics and design. If players are allowed to build there characters as they see fit. As in 2nd ed to 3.5 then class balancing is now up to the player. Nothing else will ever work imho.

This isn't about bias. Clerics cannot keep their party alive with these new changes. "Perfect class balance" is impossible and even your solution won't achieve class balance. Leaving it up to the "players" to create class balance as you suggest would just lead people minmaxing and a certain all powerful build as being the only viable build. Anything else would get no dungeons invite and the content would become trivial.
  • Options
    satorusenpaisatorusenpai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Should do more than just that, there should be multiple viable options, not this 1 single dominant build path.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    gaerolth wrote: »
    This isn't about bias. Clerics cannot keep their party alive with these new changes. "Perfect class balance" is impossible and even your solution won't achieve class balance. Leaving it up to the "players" to create class balance as you suggest would just lead people minmaxing and a certain all powerful build as being the only viable build. Anything else would get no dungeons invite and the content would become trivial.

But. With those kinds of options were talking about at least 10 power builds that players will play. We have in this game what, 3-4 maybe. 10 seems alot more then 3or 4. and maybe more. And i disagree sir, i think its all about bias as players want "there" toon to be the best subconsciously or otherwise. BTW, it was very hard but while testing a T2 our cleric did keep the group alive. We did wipe once but thats more common then uncommon.
  • Options
    holt3holt3 Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well it's too late now, the changes are set in stone for the next patch and they won't be reversing it. I'm trying to figure out why they are nerfing clerics when they didn't need to be nerfed... I understand the AS stack fix, but why nerf AS altogether?
  • Options
    gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    But. With those kinds of options were talking about at least 10 power builds that players will play. We have in this game what, 3-4 maybe. 10 seems alot more then 3or 4. and maybe more. And i disagree sir, i think its all about bias as players want "there" toon to be the best subconsciously or otherwise. BTW, it was very hard but while testing a T2 our cleric did keep the group alive. We did wipe once but thats more common then uncommon.

Except some of the people against the cleric nerf, actually man, aren't even clerics themselves. Plus the cleric was never the strongest class in this game. Trust me, allowing people to cross class would simply introduce very overpowered characters. You mentioned 2nd edition and 3.5 edition but there's a reason why most dungeon masters don't let min/maxers play. It is possible to min/max and make a broken character to all hell.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Except some of the people against the cleric nerf, actually man, aren't even clerics themselves. Plus the cleric was never the strongest class in this game. Trust me, allowing people to cross class would simply introduce very overpowered characters. You mentioned 2nd edition and 3.5 edition but there's a reason why most dungeon masters don't let min/maxers play. It is possible to min/max and make a broken character to all hell.

I play a GF, and i am absolutely against the cleric heal reduction. Lets take a look at clerics. Clerics wear full plate and use a shield. Clerics have 20+ healing spells direct targeting, group targeting, AOE healing. Little to none of that exists. This game only has clerics in name only. In fact i believe all classes are basically in name only due to the lack of options. Your right about the min/max and broken characters, that's ok though because there wont be just a few OP characters in said environment. There is many many more. I myself am aware of at least 7 broken *** power builds from 2nd ed on. So there must be twice that at least. See what im getting at here. Clerics ARE NOT clerics. 7+ "broken" power builds with different races/classes is called alot more diversity then currently exists. Thats better, just better. I have several cleric friends in this game, some are thrilled with the changes that they take no threat and can cast willy nilly now. Some are re-rolling a different class because they disagree. Class balancing in the hands of the players will create more diversity.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I play a GF, and i am absolutely against the cleric heal reduction. Lets take a look at clerics. Clerics wear full plate and use a shield. Clerics have 20+ healing spells direct targeting, group targeting, AOE healing. Little to none of that exists. This game only has clerics in name only. In fact i believe all classes are basically in name only due to the lack of options. Your right about the min/max and broken characters, that's ok though because there wont be just a few OP characters in said environment. There is many many more. I myself am aware of at least 7 broken *** power builds from 2nd ed on. So there must be twice that at least. See what im getting at here. Clerics ARE NOT clerics. 7+ "broken" power builds with different races/classes is called alot more diversity then currently exists. Thats better, just better. I have several cleric friends in this game, some are thrilled with the changes that they take no threat and can cast willy nilly now. Some are re-rolling a different class because they disagree. Class balancing in the hands of the players will create more diversity.

No it won't. You obviously haven't played enough mmo's. It will come down to "If you don't pick what is accepted as the best spec you can GTFO." No one will group with you unless you're the best possible combination and spec. That's how people work. It's why GF and GWF were having trouble getting into groups. It was more optimal to bring a rogue instead. That's how it works. Could it be completed with a GF/GWF? Sure, but it was still faster if you brought a rogue. So GF and GWF were getting kicked for groups. If a single build is accepted as the most dominant everyone will be expected to go that build. Everyone will be pidgeonholed in a single build unless you want to solo for the rest of your days.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    No it won't. You obviously haven't played enough mmo's. It will come down to "If you don't pick what is accepted as the best spec you can GTFO." No one will group with you unless you're the best possible combination and spec. That's how people work. It's why GF and GWF were having trouble getting into groups. It was more optimal to bring a rogue instead. That's how it works. Could it be completed with a GF/GWF? Sure, but it was still faster if you brought a rogue. So GF and GWF were getting kicked for groups. If a single build is accepted as the most dominant everyone will be expected to go that build. Everyone will be pidgeonholed in a single build unless you want to solo for the rest of your days.

Maybe this game just being an MMO is the real issue then. Your right i actually have zero experience with MMOs, of which i do take some pride in :cool: However ive been playing D&D for decades. Regardless what the devs install is what we got. I hope they dont reduce healing options for named clerics and above all would like to see as much D&D as possible actually put into the game.

BTW, MMO is short for mass multiplayer online correct? That means lots of players play it and its an online game. This game being an MMO doesn't explain the lack of D&D content.