test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will Cryptic ever make traps meaningful?

stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
For the most part I am very happy about the upcoming patch, a lot of needed features and fixes are being addressed, however one of the things I would love to see is the current trap system addressed. Right now traps are anemic, to the point where people just run through them, they are to be ignored in dungeons and in many cases solo play.

It really shouldn't be like that, in DDO traps were significant and they really should be in Neverwinter as well. Knowing where the traps are and knowing they really won't hurt you, makes them completely useless. Traps should be deadly, or at the very least extremely dangerous, and the should be random, because what's the sense of adventure when you know where every single trap is? What I would really like to see is Rogues not always making their detect trap rolls and other classes with thieve kits having a greatly reduced chance of them actually being successful, the random and deadly level should also be available to foundry creators as another tool to make our creations more challenging.

I really love this game despite the bugs and issues...but the trap system above all is a mockery to D&D and really needs to be addressed.
Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
Post edited by stormdrag0n on

Comments

• Options
    ddamaddddamadd Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2013
    Bring back the ... boobie trap
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited June 2013
    Probably not, because getting killed by a floorplate just because you couldn't find a Rogue to party with, or because your Rogue is an idiot, isn't fun.

It would be neat if disarming traps had some other meaning, though; such as a coin drop to the group.
  • Options
    trevien29trevien29 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    neither is watching everyone run through a dungeon recklessly, this isn't that other game after all.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ddamadd wrote: »
    Bring back the ... boobie trap
    No can do. The feminists would cry fowl.
  • Options
    rologtonrologton Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    While I agree, I'm sure that the issue is that the only class that can deal with them are Rogues. As was said before, it would be a slap to the face to anybody who didn't get a Rogue in their party, and really screw over people in solo play.

I'd love to see them become more worthwhile, but there needs to be a good way to balance them before that happens.
  • Options
    suxip01111suxip01111 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Perhaps being hurt by a trap could apply an x minute debuff?
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They should have a trap that spawns adds. ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Probably not, because getting killed by a floorplate just because you couldn't find a Rogue to party with, or because your Rogue is an idiot, isn't fun.

It would be neat if disarming traps had some other meaning, though; such as a coin drop to the group.

Well Theif kits do take care of that don't they? It offers an out or at least a chance to run the dungeon without the rogue.
  • Options
    destroxoxodestroxoxo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Agree, 1 hit to kill traps would make dungeons more dungeony(sic). Actually give you that sense of being in a dungeon with traps and dangers etc, plus it would make for some good laughs on Skype/mumble/vent/TS
  • Options
    llfritzllllfritzll Member Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    honestly I hated traps in ddo. "ok guys, we don't have a rogue so we can't do these dungeons." or if I wanted to solo a dungeon, but couldn't because I wasn't playing a rogue.

In table top play when you know a rogue is present it is a neat addition, but in a multi-player video game it's just annoying. "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> the cleric hit a trap, ok everyone wait here until he runs back." bleh
  • Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I'd like to see them become more effective and I would also like to see some sort of bonus for disarming.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    llfritzll wrote: »
    honestly I hated traps in ddo. "ok guys, we don't have a rogue so we can't do these dungeons." or if I wanted to solo a dungeon, but couldn't because I wasn't playing a rogue.

In table top play when you know a rogue is present it is a neat addition, but in a multi-player video game it's just annoying. "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> the cleric hit a trap, ok everyone wait here until he runs back." bleh
    Yep, without at least a decent chance for any class to spot and disarm trap actually including traps as a serious damage dealer would seriously put me off this game.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    destroxoxodestroxoxo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    Yep, without at least a decent chance for any class to spot and disarm trap actually including traps as a serious damage dealer would seriously put me off this game.

The traps don't have to be a major part of the dungeon or an area where you NEED to get through lots of traps, the way they have them placed now is great because there isn't any dungeon that requires you to intentionally get hit.

Thats why introducing a 1 hit KO would still be a good idea, doesn't stop progression of any kind, but adds in a fun/funny exploration mechanic that will give some players a good laugh or 2
  • Options
    psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ok the way to do this is to give everyone a way to disarm the trap unique to that class warrior fighter type destroy the trap taking less damage or same damage as now, cleric same but be able to damage with spells, the wizard same as cleric or give the spell casting classes a ritual to disarm traps or the quickest would have a rogue with the skill. or could be easy just to give a disarm kit for traps. and make the traps count right now they are pitiful due to in real D&D you can't just go buy your health from a bottle.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Lot's of good comments here, one thing I do believe was at conception traps were going to be a lot more significant than they are, but the crying of the speed runner must have caused them to water them down, honestly either take them out altogether or give them consequence.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Lot's of good comments here, one thing I do believe was at conception traps were going to be a lot more significant than they are, but the crying of the speed runner must have caused them to water them down, honestly either take them out altogether or give the consequence.

Agree with this 100%, personally I'd love to be on skype with all my mates and see a spear from a wall 1 hit KO and ragdoll him 20 metres across a room, would be hilarious, and since we're all Aussie 0 fcuks given. Either that or just remove them.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Lot's of good comments here, one thing I do believe was at conception traps were going to be a lot more significant than they are, but the crying of the speed runner must have caused them to water them down, honestly either take them out altogether or give them consequence.

Actually after thinking about this, traps are just an annoyance. With no consequence for death in this game, all a 1 shot kill trap would do would make it so you have to be rezzed and cleansed if in a group, or just run back while solo. So all you are really asking for is to be annoyed a little more.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    skalt112 wrote: »
    Actually after thinking about this, traps are just an annoyance. With no consequence for death in this game, all a 1 shot kill trap would do would make it so you have to be rezzed and cleansed if in a group, or just run back while solo. So all you are really asking for is to be annoyed a little more.

An annoyance can sometimes be a fun thing in this game, especially when running with a group of friends/guildies
  • Options
    wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    syberghost wrote: »

or exp bonuses for the rogue. since its not like they get any reward for disarming them at the moment.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    tang56 wrote: »

the lack of traps or doors to lockpick at the same time, has killed the enjoyment of the rogue class outside Foundry for me, amusingly.

I dont wanna be a ****ing 1337 dps with knivezzz

I wanna be a rogue.
  • Options
    blankdave2blankdave2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    how long did you play ddo for OP?
    Traps were meaningless there too.
    Everyone either knew where they were, or just ran through and healed afterwards.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    blankdave2 wrote: »
    Everyone either knew where they were, or just ran through and healed afterwards.

But they at least had enough teeth you had to know where they were and how theyd hit. Especially in the raids.

and disarming them actually gave the party exp bonuses.

Its not quitte the same as here where there is literally no downside and theyre all easily sidestepped.
  • Options
    blankdave2blankdave2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    granted, ingenious debilitation bonus was something you'd go for... xp bonuses were welcomed. but unless you were on elite even in raids you'd barely care about them, well... i guess unless you dumped con, but then you had other problems
  • Options
    memoo06memoo06 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What is the latest server?
    What is the oldest on three of them?

tnx
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    In a game where only one class can disarm traps, that class becomes unduly overfavoured if the traps are exceptionally lethal. In DDO, for example, many classes and multi-class combinations could do quite well at spotting and disarming traps, so it didn't put thieves in a must have status.

What could an interesting approach, rather than going for incredibly high damage, could be to have several different traps that could provide a variety of different debuffs from inconsequentially mild to quite annoying, especially if the effect of the traps was randomly determined each time the dungeon was instanced. People would perhaps be less likely to run blithely through them if the effects of tripping them were unknown, and couldn't be removed by downing a quick potion.

It would be nice if the location of the traps was slightly varied with each instance as well, but that's probably beyond what can be done as the dungeon layouts aren't randomly generated.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    memoo06 wrote: »
    What is the latest server?
    What is the oldest on three of them?

tnx

They all came into existence at the same time, and will all eventually be folded into one server. As such, there is absolutely no age-related differences between them.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    i played on ghallanda, i played on fernia before the first server merge ... khyber was the drama server. argonnessen was considered the "raiding" server.. don't know much about sarlona or thelanis. they we're less infamous on the forums. orien was the server started when the game allowed for subscription-less players. and i believe wayfinder was the server started when Codemasters shut down DDO Europe.
  • Options
    zogvarnokazogvarnoka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Disease trap (vent): max HP lowered X seconds
    Poison Trap (vent/arrow): take X damage for X seconds (already functions this way just need to increase damage)
    Steam Trap (vent): Take X damage. Movement slowed for X seconds due to burns.
    Stake Trap: snare and damage (already like this but bugged and needs damage increased)
    Spear Traps: Impaled, take X damage and a bleed effect for X seconds.
    Regular Arrow Trap: straight damage

Easy way to scale the traps is for all damage taken to be a percent of total health. That allows for the traps to do reasonable damage/debuff at all levels.
    Removing the Grey Mask
    NW-DJ56XFK6G
    My first installment in the Rise of Shadovar Campaign.
  • Options
    grikgidgrikgid Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2013
    blankdave2 wrote: »

Traps in DDO on Elite mode can still kill you outright; they certainly do have teeth.
    I still pay DDO and often play a trap disabling class, so I see trap deaths quite often, especially those heedless Barbarians :)

Neverwinter needs to make disarming a trap something useful to do for both the rogue and party and kits allow any to do it, so having to have a rogue in the party will not be forced on anyone.
  • Options
    silentsinssilentsins Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rologton wrote: »
    I'd love to see them become more worthwhile, but there needs to be a good way to balance them before that happens.

-Let every class disarm traps with thief kits, with associated failure rates (no 1-shot kills though, but make them reasonably scary).
    -Let rogues disarm them in-combat, with the perk of making them harmless for the party but still affect enemies.
    -Add a feat that allows rogues to disarm traps instantly, or bake it into the default skill.

Boom. Balanced.