test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please institute a forum ban similar to chat ban

ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So we can quickly stop spammers here as well.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    zeromatrix01zeromatrix01 Member Posts: 82
    edited June 2013
    Yes, because it sometimes takes moderators hours before they step in. Not enough moderators...
  • Options
    nullwolf1nullwolf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    So we can quickly stop spammers here as well.

Would get overused in the flame wars.
    Reporting works fine. It may take a bit longer than insta-ban, but the mods get the job done.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nullwolf1 wrote: »
    Would get overused in the flame wars.
    Reporting works fine. It may take a bit longer than insta-ban, but the mods get the job done.

And it getting overused would be a bad thing?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    And it getting overused would be a bad thing?

Used for spammers only, no. In flame wars, possibly.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Used for spammers only, no. In flame wars, possibly.

My point was that it could be a good thing in shutting down or silencing those involved in the flame wars so that discussion of the the topic could possibly get back on track.
  • Options
    clansman2013clansman2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    flappyj wrote: »
    --snip--
    If interested you can contact me at flapjackstack1@live.com (have Steam and Ventrilo as well) Thanks!

Wouldn't it be really sad if that email address was signed up for a whole bunch of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> subscriptions ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    My point was that it could be a good thing in shutting down or silencing those involved in the flame wars so that discussion of the the topic could possibly get back on track.

Except it would also be used by others to simply silence any opposing discussion / opinions.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Except it would also be used by others to simply silence any opposing discussion / opinions.

Moderators already do that. Disagree with one and it's end of discussion; closed thread.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Depends on the method and type of disagreement lol. I've seen some of the threads they've had to close down, and most were for good reason.

sominator shows online right now, so hopefully flappyj will get booted again soon...
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes, because it sometimes takes moderators hours before they step in. Not enough moderators...

We certainly do need more mods, I know a couple of folks who would be great mods but one is already Modding over at STO and I can't twist his arm.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Depends on the method and type of disagreement lol. I've seen some of the threads they've had to close down, and most were for good reason.

sominator shows online right now, so hopefully flappyj will get booted again soon...

I do agree that Moderators overall do a good job but sometimes they inject their opinions as if it's the final say.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I do agree that Moderators overall do a good job but sometimes they inject their opinions as if it's the final say.

I've seen those too unfortunately...
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What I don't understand is, that idiot trying to sell his worthless accounts has been going since last night, has been reported that whole time, and now has "banned" listed under his name..... but he's still posting, somehow? WTF?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    What I don't understand is, that idiot trying to sell his worthless accounts has been going since last night, has been reported that whole time, and now has "banned" listed under his name..... but he's still posting, somehow? WTF?

Was JUST banned... now apparently on another account... only problem with F2P... everyone can access forums and just create a new account when banned...
  • Options
    edited June 2013

It took me awhile to come to grips with this but hey they aren't paid employees they are forum posters just like us who
    asked for this lovely duty of keeping the cesspool clean. Andre and I have had some epic forum battles and zeb and I have butted heads once or twice but there intentions are good (and yes I know all about roads being paved with them) they actually want to see this motley crew turn into a decent community and they have gained a small measure of respect from me which isn't easy.

Do I still think Volunteer mods are a bad idea and open to all kinds of ethical issues? Damned skippy.
    Do I think they come off as the voice of the community? Not so much anymore..but it isn't unreasonable to get that impression.
    Do I think that overall they are doing a good job for free unless you get paid in insults. You betcha.

That's as close to a compliment as I can give.

But yeah we really need stricter policies on alt accounts and how forum posters are banned.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Was JUST banned... now apparently on another account... only problem with F2P... everyone can access forums and just create a new account when banned...

I believe SWTOR, that bills it self as f2p though its freemium, only allows subscribers to access the forums. Maybe Cryptic should look into just allowing those that have a verified billing account; paid for zen or a Founder to access the forum. That would get rid of 90% of the trolls.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I believe SWTOR, that bills it self as f2p though its freemium, only allows subscribers to access the forums. Maybe Cryptic should look into just allowing those that have a verified billing account; paid for zen or a Founder to access the forum. That would get rid of 90% of the trolls.

One forum open to free accounts that was heavily moderated too... they have to get info somewhere...
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Yes it would as well as alt accounts as you could only have one account per verified transaction with a billing account.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    One forum open to free accounts that was heavily moderated too... they have to get info somewhere...

Give them access to tech and feedback forums nothing else unless they have purchased Zen or made some transaction with a verifiable billing address..also perma forum ban needs to equal perma in game ban.
  • Options
    noosednoosed Member Posts: 247 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Collect info door-to-door, the old fashioned way. Just somehow convince Jehovah witnesses to play NW.

Obviously you haven't come to terms with the fact that no one likes you, or cares to hear you speak. Some day I hope this becomes as apparent to you as it is to me, and on that day, I hope you know the easiest way out of your awful existence is to k---...well you know.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The other option would be to only allow those with say a lvl 20 character on the account the ability to post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Better yet, a level 21 character.

Do you actually think anyone is going to trade anything with a massive dickbag like you?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    noosed wrote: »
    Do you actually think anyone is going to trade anything with a massive dickbag like you?

Hint: you're still posting.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The other option would be to only allow those with say a lvl 20 character on the account the ability to post.

You can do that really fast and trust me some of the bridge dwellers would level fifty characters just to act out on the forums.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    He's a child best ignored.

Click on User CP at the top of the forum
    Click on Edit Ignore List on the left
    Enter the username of the idiot
    Click on Okay
    Click on Save Changes

Don't forget to repeat the steps for the rest of the usernames.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    He's a child best ignored.

Click on User CP at the top of the forum
    Click on Edit Ignore List on the left
    Enter the username of the idiot
    Click on Okay
    Click on Save Changes

Don't forget to repeat the steps for the rest of the usernames.

I miss the old days when mods would turn bridge dwellers PC's into fifteen pound paperweights.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I think a billable account is the best option to weed out these trolls and use of alts. User's wouldn't necessarily be required to make a purchase.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    x3mta3x wrote: »
    snip

I've had posts moderated for trolling trolls and totally unrelated replies...
    I haven't been banned because I don't tend to take it THAT far. Whereas some people do.
    I think a billable account is the best option to weed out these trolls and use of alts. User's wouldn't necessarily be required to make a purchase.

Agreed
  • Options
    ocampusmaximusocampusmaximus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Bans are required, but only certain, proven Moderators should have clearance to apply them. About the spamming imbecile who pretends to believe it's funny: it's just pathetic. I mean, look at the time it's spent spamming in a forum. Poor, poor creature. It is so sad to fill a void of attention with forum users' contempt.
  • Options
    lottiemclottiemc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

A very valid point, I think.

Lottie