test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guide to Everything Cleric: What you need to know/have to solo heal everything PvE

Comments

• Options
    emoturemotur Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    Best. Guide. Ever.

100% agree
  • Options
    kissell19kissell19 Member Posts: 57
    edited June 2013
    llfritzll wrote: »
    You can say just accept that we get 90% of the aggro, but it is still broken.

I cannot think of one single time I have ever played AD&D where the cleric player said "OK now I want to run in circles around the fight"

edit - the worst part is that I don't think guardians have enough defensive ability to actually tank everything either. If they actually did manage to aggro all the adds they wouldn't be able to take the damage. I made a GF alt and I am just baffled by the amount of damage he takes. Unless he is blocking he takes almost the same amount of damage as my cleric, and you cannot just block all the time.

Its not broken. You are a battle cleric not a generic mmo healer. Also if your running around and not just standing in the circle and attacking then you are doing it incorrectly. AS and FF and you can stand in the circle and it does not not matter if there are 20 little weak mobs beating on you. You heal to full the second you lose any health. Hell even my lvl 15 weak *** knight follower does not die. Stand in circle and fight. The only running around you should be doing is when there is red aoe on the ground and you happen to be standing in it.
  • Options
    cartmanfatfanboycartmanfatfanboy Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The fault actually lies with the DPS Wizard who doesn't understand he's a CONTROL Wizard and not a rogue in a dress who forgot his daggers at home.

i've got a question. Is there a chance to convince 'rogue in a dress' to become controller again in a middle of the event (skirmish, dungeon, etc.)?

I haven't played the CW, so I have no idea if it's heavily gear/feat dependant or its more about one's attitude and skill selection.
  • Options
    oghieroghier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited June 2013
    kissell19 wrote: »
    AS and FF and you can stand in the circle and it does not not matter if there are 20 little weak mobs beating on you. You heal to full the second you lose any health.

Most of the boss fights involve a heck of a lot of red in my blue circle. I'm sliding around constantly, trying to find that one sliver of blue not covered by red ;)

It would be fun, if every single fight weren't the same thing.
    - Snit (Cleric, Dragon Server)
  • Options
    oghieroghier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited June 2013
    I haven't played the CW, so I have no idea if it's heavily gear/feat dependant or its more about one's attitude and skill selection.

It's almost purely the skill loadout. All they have to do is change dailies, and I can't imagine too many CW's don't have Arcane Singlurity at 3/3 in their build. The big difference is attitude -- they have to be concerned about winning the fights, not winning the DPS chart.
    - Snit (Cleric, Dragon Server)
  • Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    oghier wrote: »
    The big difference is attitude -- they have to be concerned about winning the fights, not winning the DPS chart.

And a lot of the time, our CW does both!
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Its not broken. You are a battle cleric not a generic mmo healer. Also if your running around and not just standing in the circle and attacking then you are doing it incorrectly. AS and FF and you can stand in the circle and it does not not matter if there are 20 little weak mobs beating on you. You heal to full the second you lose any health. Hell even my lvl 15 weak *** knight follower does not die. Stand in circle and fight. The only running around you should be doing is when there is red aoe on the ground and you happen to be standing in it.

Actually it's a Devoted Cleric not battle cleric.

And this game has made me MISS classic MMO healing.

Running around using the same 3 "op" abilities and healing keeping everyone alive passively while tanking isn't that much fun after awhile.
  • Options
    teflondon75teflondon75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Great post as always unspecified! Thanks for all your efforts in the community here :D Questions for anybody that can answer, When you add power anywhere on your main character(equip, enchants, etc) it boosts your Attack/Healing stat however if you add power through equips or enchant on your cat it DOES boost your base stats but Not the Attack/Healing stat below.

Any ideas on that? working as intended? Are we actually getting a healing/damage boost from that added power etc to cat rather than just a numbers change. Anyhow, again thanks for all the hard work!
  • Options
    kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thank you! Just made one to duo with my son. :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    greatheart88greatheart88 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Been running Unspec's regen builds ever since I first saw his guides on YT and I'm loving it. The amount of times where I've saved a group by kiting every boss add in a circle till the control wizard says to pull them together... just plain awesome.

I haven't noticed a big drop in healing/dps when I tried a full set of +pwr and +crit which is really odd but other people have been posting on the forums that gear doesn't make a huge difference.

However I am interested what the regen cap is? I'm running 12% atm at level 56 with 16,000 hp but my regen ticks don't increase below 40% health. With my limited testing I think the regen cap is about 6% of your maximum hp. With 16,000hp you'd expect at 20% to heal for 1,536hp3s ((16,000*80%=12,800)*12%=1,536), however it only heals for 962 (16,000*6%=960).

So assuming you were aiming for 20k hp your regen cap would be 1,200hp3s (20,000*6%=1,200). You'd never want to drop below 20% hp so using that as your target your regen% cap would be 7.5%.

20,000*80%=16,000 ~Calculate lost hp at 20%.
    16,000*7.5%=1,200 ~Calculate what % gives you your regen cap.

I got the 7.5% by randomly typing in numbers till I got the right number lol. My maths suck!

If anyone has done further theorycrafting on this I'm all ears!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Been running Unspec's regen builds ever since I first saw his guides on YT and I'm loving it. The amount of times where I've saved a group by kiting every boss add in a circle till the control wizard says to pull them together... just plain awesome.

I haven't noticed a big drop in healing/dps when I tried a full set of +pwr and +crit which is really odd but other people have been posting on the forums that gear doesn't make a huge difference.

However I am interested what the regen cap is? I'm running 12% atm at level 56 with 16,000 hp but my regen ticks don't increase below 40% health. With my limited testing I think the regen cap is about 6% of your maximum hp. With 16,000hp you'd expect at 20% to heal for 1,536hp3s ((16,000*80%=12,800)*12%=1,536), however it only heals for 962 (16,000*6%=960).

So assuming you were aiming for 20k hp your regen cap would be 1,200hp3s (20,000*6%=1,200). You'd never want to drop below 20% hp so using that as your target your regen% cap would be 7.5%.

20,000*80%=16,000 ~Calculate lost hp at 20%.
    16,000*7.5%=1,200 ~Calculate what % gives you your regen cap.

I got the 7.5% by randomly typing in numbers till I got the right number lol. My maths suck!

If anyone has done further theorycrafting on this I'm all ears!

It's % of your missing health every 3 seconds but caps at 50% of your health.

So if you have 10% regen, it will go up to a MAXIMUM of 5% of your max health every tic ranging from 100% health (0% heals) to 50% health (5% healts), and at 25% health (still 5% heals).
  • Options
    greatheart88greatheart88 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »
    It's % of your missing health every 3 seconds but caps at 50% of your health.

So if you have 10% regen, it will go up to a MAXIMUM of 5% of your max health every tic ranging from 100% health (0% heals) to 50% health (5% healts), and at 25% health (still 5% heals).

Ahh thats much simpler! Wish the tooltips or the wiki had more information on them.

Thanks for the info. :)
  • Options
    bloodraiderx42bloodraiderx42 Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2013
    great read very on point. thanks for the info <3
  • Options
    zepheazephea Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Thank you so much for this Unspecified - it's very very good. :)
    ~*~ Sparkles! ~*~

The MMO may change but the inventory tetris stays the same.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Ahh thats much simpler! Wish the tooltips or the wiki had more information on them.

Thanks for the info. :)

Found the health regened stat at the bottom actually, it gives a vague description of what I just said though.
  • Options
    fabaelfabael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited June 2013
    This thread topic needs a sticky :)
  • Options
    sogronnwosogronnwo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 96
    edited June 2013
    Very informative, thank you for the guide!

About the regen spec: Can someone enlighten me why regen is better than deflect?

Tanking the adds my thoughts were that after hitting 2k defense, deflect would be awesome for those times when they catch up with me. I understand regen is optimal for healing while running, but wouldn't not-taking the damage (or at least less) in the first place be better?
    What tips the scale over to regen's side? Deflect chance too low and unreliable? The running part being much longer than the being hit part?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
  • Options
    unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    sogronnwo wrote: »
    Very informative, thank you for the guide!

About the regen spec: Can someone enlighten me why regen is better than deflect?

Tanking the adds my thoughts were that after hitting 2k defense, deflect would be awesome for those times when they catch up with me. I understand regen is optimal for healing while running, but wouldn't not-taking the damage (or at least less) in the first place be better?
    What tips the scale over to regen's side? Deflect chance too low and unreliable? The running part being much longer than the being hit part?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Personally I'm not a big fan of deflection because it's too hard to get the deflection chance high enough. Even if I got it up to 25% chance to deflect it's still a stat that might save me or might be totally useless. It just might not actually deflect any damage as I go from full health to dead. It's not a bad stat but after I stacked regen I found I really liked the results and it actually gets better then more I need it (lower health, more health regened), so I stuck with it.

Over the long haul you can actually think of deflect as damage reduction equal to (deflect chance) * (0.5) = (Effective Damage Reduction) so a 25% deflect chance would be 12.5% damage reduction. Unfortunately it might be all clustered when you don't need it and not reduce the hits you need it to.

As for the Running Vs. Hitting, in my experience the times I struggled the most where the times I was stunned, knock around, running, or otherwise unable to stand and cast. Regeneration was my solution to that particular difficulty. Generally if I'm able to stand in my AS and cast I don't have issues.
  • Options
    lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Are you though in fact a Battle Cleric? I know what the current mob aggro has forced people to spec, but I consider the Battle Cleric to be a different class altogether - armed with mace/shield, battling it out (pun intended) in melee range.

To me then the current DC is wrong in having to spec this way. I know it works, but if you have to spec as a battle cleric, then what happens to the true BC class - will that ever be introduced I wonder?
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • Options
    kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It probably will be introduced but I don't see it happening any time soon. We have to spec for what we have and can do now rather than just hoping it will work out at some point in the future. Means we may have to respec later but there is always a chance they will throw out free respecs if drastic changes are made.
  • Options
    eggsneggsn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 69
    edited June 2013
    Good job on the guide Unspecified. BTW thanks for showing us your build. I took your notes to heart, I used a combo of yours and Deistik and my own mods to make my own build that works for me.
  • Options
    zephryl1zephryl1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 220 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Love the guide~ Most just explain why they made the choices they did, it's good to see opinions on all the things you're not using as well. Makes it a lot easier for people to adjust the build to suit their own playstyle.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thank you very much again!
    I just hit full T1 gear, you helped me out with these information immensely!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    troodeetroodee Member Posts: 38
    edited June 2013
    Great guide - I especially like the section about the control wizard.

It's always lovely when you get into a PUG with you, tank, 2 rogues and a GWF. You just know you're gonna spend half the instance skipping away from the minor mobs.
    We are not designed to outheal stupidity!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I wanted to better illustrate what your 1400 regen did for you so I compared it to the Cleric pet which i got around normal Idris when I realised Righteousness makes me dependant on CW skill.

I'm not gonna talk about the spell of the pet having 33% uptime, chance of the ability going to waste and on CD when needed, or the high mortality rate of the Cleric pet, just compare its heal to 1400 regen.
    Cleric pet's Healing Word heals 20% max HP in 10 secs. If you tried one, you know how much that is worth.
    Healing Word is 6% max HP/3 secs,
    1.400 regen is 5% max HP/3 secs at or below 50% HP.
    (1.400 regen is 10% HP missing / 3 secs, but for the infinite wisdom of some game mechanic caps at 50% HP)
    Above 50% HP, regen is proportionally less, but it's still good, doing 2,5%/3 secs at 75% and seriously, who cares when you're above that?

So basically, if you want an unkillable, 100% uptime cleric companion heal on yourself (@HP&lt;51%), you're aiming at around 1700 regen.
  • Options
    tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    This guide has been extremely useful, I've managed to experience/test a lot of the info myself and the only thing that has been completely different for me is my experience with Searing Light. I personally loved tabbed Searing Light.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • Options
    ecsaecsa Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    looking at possible rolls I'm leaning toward the

15 15 13 12 11 10

basically what you chose but swapping 1 str for 1 int for the added recharge.
  • Options
    cwiyk13cwiyk13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    unspecifiederror, thank you for again taking your time to post your advice to benefit the Devoted Cleric community. :)
    Krae Vull - Devoted Cleric
  • Options
    starman1111starman1111 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes, thank you for this well thought out and generous post.
  • Options
    amielhipolitoamielhipolito Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I am a follower! Very useful guide