test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverember guard third outfit looks good, but why still the toy wooden shield?

fyendiarfyendiar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I didn't spend 20 euro to get a tank that likes to play with toy shields, can we please get a decent looking shield on them instead of the wooden shield a lvl 1 guardian fighter wouldn't even want to be found dead with?

Thanks.
Post edited by fyendiar on

Comments

• Options
    fyendiarfyendiar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited June 2013
    czarkazm wrote: »
    Throughout history, the MOST common form of shield was wooden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite_shield

"The shield was usually made from stout but light wood, such as lime, and faced in either leather or toughened fabric, such as canvas."

https://www.google.nl/search?safe=off&q=medieval+shield&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47244034,d.d2k&biw=1500&bih=922&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=nl&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=bHurUdNdobjRBYrggOAN

It's all about looks. Warriors in as much armor as the neverember guard is do not, would not be wearing the toy shield without any emblems that looks like it can break just by watching at it.

Not stupid, not trolling, I just want a shield that matches the outfit and the current shield does not, not even close.
  • Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Does the shield change any when you unlock the second and higher cosmetic options?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    morbic wrote: »
    Does the shield change any when you unlock the second and higher cosmetic options?

Sadly it does not which is why I feel so cheated.
  • Options
    aronwenaronwen Member Posts: 102
    edited June 2013
    Seriously what are you talking about? In real life the shield would be wooden. MOST of the shields in your link ARE WOODEN. He would ABSOLUTELY be using a wooden shield. Next thing you are going to complain about is how rangers should use aluminum arrows.

He's referring to the fact that the companion isn't using a shield similar to higher lvl GF shields (assuming you've ever seen one), and instead it looks terrible and unfitting with the armor/role of the companion. It honestly isn't that difficult to understand what he's saying.
  • Options
    pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Seriously what are you talking about? In real life the shield would be wooden. MOST of the shields in your link ARE WOODEN. He would ABSOLUTELY be using a wooden shield. Next thing you are going to complain about is how rangers should use aluminum arrows.

Not that I'm here to complain or raise a stir about something minor like this but no, not really. If a knight is in chainmail, then yes, a wooden shield would perhaps be a appropriate.

In full plate? No. At the very least, it would be a wooden shield bound in iron. Why would you wear full plate and then skimp on the shied? Specially when most people in full plate in this game are using metal shields
  • Options
    edited June 2013

First of all, please stop with the name calling, there is no reason for it.

Second my problem with the shield is not simply because it is wooden, but it looks like a simple wooden shield that fits a wooden sword. The type children would play with. Most shields were indeed make of wood, but did not look like this.

As I said before and will say again: the shield does not in any way or form match the rest of the outfit which is what my problem is.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    You are completely incorrect, there are actually advantages to a wooden shield, full plate or no. And in fact, you would likely have only worn full plate when mounted. It bothers me that people complain about "realism" when their idea of historical accuracy is World of Warcraft. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but it is you that keeps referring to how things were in reality. I am talking about how fantasy characters generally look like. You know, the world in which tanks do wear full plate and manage to run and even swim with it on. Btw ain't you agreeing with the person you quoted? He wasn't talking about the actions of the knights, but the combination of their armor and the shield.

Anyway, this is not about reality, it's about looks and it does not fit.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Your argument is completely specious. Now you want to argue about what level of reality should be in a fantasy game.

I don't mind the look of the shield, nor do I really even think about it much, it's a pathetically minor thing to be so outraged about.

Last I checked we are playing a fantasy game, last I checked in fantasy the combination of shields with such cheap looks don't usually combine with the kind of armor he is wearing, last I checked even low level guardian fighters are using shields that match the outfit much better. Why do you feel so personally attacked by my desire for a matching shield?

Pardon me for wanting a product I paid real money for, and the shop ain't exactly cheap, to look the part.

You may not mind the looks, more power to you, but that also most likely means you wouldn't mind if the shield was changed into something to looks a little better. I'd like my money's worth, heck I bought it because I liked the looks of the armor and expected the sword and shield to match it. Wouldn't you?

It's not about the fact that it is made of wood, it is about the fact that it doesn't look the part in combination with the armor.
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Look, for the final time, this is an accurate historical representation of a shield. If you don't like it, invent a time machine and change it. If the biggest complaint you have with this game is that you don't like a historically accurate shield.

The is DnD, not a historical simulator. Realism isn't important in matters of escapist fantasy settings full of magic and adventure. Are the shields that Guardian Fighters have at 60 wooden? No, because they aren't designed to look realistic. They are designed to look cool. And apparently, several people in this thread think that they do not. What's wrong with voicing their concerns?

Why are you bringing this "realism" argument into the discussion? And why are you being so rude to everyone?

Your posting style is baffling.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    rictrasrictras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Look, for the final time, this is an accurate historical representation of a shield. If you don't like it, invent a time machine and change it. If the biggest complaint you have with this game is that you don't like a historically accurate shield, you need to grow up.

You can state your case without being so hostile.
    The meaning of life, is to give life meaning.
  • Options
    ehraehra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't have the companion myself but I see plenty of them in Protector's Enclave. I agree that the shield doesn't look good with the rest of the armor at all. It's strange that all of their other equipment looks fancier, but the shield still looks like something you'd start out with.
  • Options
    versat1leeversat1lee Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2013
    pizzamurai wrote: »
    Not that I'm here to complain or raise a stir about something minor like this but no, not really. If a knight is in chainmail, then yes, a wooden shield would perhaps be a appropriate.

In full plate? No. At the very least, it would be a wooden shield bound in iron. Why would you wear full plate and then skimp on the shied? Specially when most people in full plate in this game are using metal shields

Isn`t the point of the wooden shield to trap the sword in it when hit ? :) If the shield is made of iron then it will loose this property and would be like facing sword with sword which is not very common in medieval times. Although it wont hurt if the wooden shield has some paint on it :D
  • Options
    talesmithtalesmith Member Posts: 116
    edited June 2013
    Historically metals shields were mostly for ceremonial purposes or for special occasions, afaik. That said if you want to keep things historically accurate, royal guards would probably be wearing metal shields, if only to look more impressive.
  • Options
    czarkazmczarkazm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    The is DnD, not a historical simulator. Realism isn't important in matters of escapist fantasy settings full of magic and adventure. Are the shields that Guardian Fighters have at 60 wooden? No, because they aren't designed to look realistic. They are designed to look cool. And apparently, several people in this thread think that they do not. What's wrong with voicing their concerns?

Why are you bringing this "realism" argument into the discussion? And why are you being so rude to everyone?

Your posting style is baffling.

Because with all the other issues in this game, his biggest complaint is that the shield is historically accurate? Please, I can't take that kind of complaint seriously.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Because with all the other issues in this game, his biggest complaint is that the shield is historically accurate? Please, I can't take that kind of complaint seriously.

For starters, the OP didn't say it's their biggest complaint about the game. It's just what they decided to post about (not everyone feels they need to make the 500th thread about the same issue everyone else knows needs to be fixed). Second, the OP spent money on the companion; this alone can make it take higher priority to someone than balance issues or lag or whatever else you feel is more important. Third, this isn't some kind of Game Issue Hierarchy that determines what can and can't be posted. CWs and TRs aren't obliged to wait until GFs and GWFs are "fixed" before they make posts about any potential issues with their classes just because those classes are currently in a better place than the later. Healing aggro issues don't have to be fixed before people are allowed to post about lag or PvP issues. Art concerns don't need to be held back until someone else feels the game is bug free enough or "balanced" enough to warrant it. Players post their feedback (which is the primary purpose of the forums, to get feedback from the playerbase), the devs will decide which issues take priority over others based on that feedback.

Finally, posts like "oh man I don't care about this issue at all it's so silly." contribute nothing to the discussion and are off topic, which is against the forum rules. If you don't think it's a big deal then don't post, if you have an opinion one way or the other (the shield looks good as is, or it should be changed) then feel free to post that. Hopefully without the personal attacks.
  • Options
    pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You are completely incorrect, there are actually advantages to a wooden shield, full plate or no. And in fact, you would likely have only worn full plate when mounted. It bothers me that people complain about "realism" when their idea of historical accuracy is World of Warcraft. :rolleyes:

Oh goodie. I do love when people insult my intelligence with an eyeroll. Yes I do realize the advantages. However, in full plate you cannot move quickly therefore the maximum protection would be preferred, mounted or not.

But as mentioned we are not talking about real life and I certainly never mentioned realism or WoW(which also has a lot of wooden shields mind you). But thank you again for confirming in the posts since then that you are just in this thread to troll people with endless argument. You have a good one.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    He could have ended the discussion at any time by simply stating "I don't like how it looks." It's his opinion and as such it's completely irrefutable. He chose not to do that however, hmm, wonder why?

Why would they need to make an additional post saying that when that's explicitly what this thread is about? The opening post:
    I didn't spend 20 euro to get a tank that likes to play with toy shields, can we please get a decent looking shield on them instead of the wooden shield a lvl 1 guardian fighter wouldn't even want to be found dead with?

The follow up post:
    In case you don't know the looks of the shield, it is the same as the one the man at arms got. A cheap wooden shield that would break at the very first time it gets hit with a weapon.

This thread has been about art from the very beginning.
  • Options
    mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Look, OP is clearly a troll post.

He bought the companion that few people have so it is likely that he never saw it till his first summoning of the companion.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    versat1lee wrote: »
    Isn`t the point of the wooden shield to trap the sword in it when hit ? :) If the shield is made of iron then it will loose this property and would be like facing sword with sword which is not very common in medieval times. Although it wont hurt if the wooden shield has some paint on it :D

That, and wooden shields cost less, take less time to make, and because of that are easily replaceable. If a sword stabs into a metal shield it may deflect, but it may also bend the point if it is a well made shield. Or, if designed with rings around the edge could truly catch a sword post deflection of a stab. Plus it is obvously far more durable. They both have pros and cons like everything lol
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

I doubt it's his biggest complaint. It's just one complaint. The forums are meant for this sort of discussion. Anything you want to get off your chest belongs here, since whining on in-game chat will just get you blocked (and rightfully so). Besides, I'm sure the developers are just as adept at ignoring small issues as they are at ignoring the big ones. Have a little faith.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ok cleaned this one up... Opinions may be opposing, but are not debatable... and certainly not open to attack, especially on our forum. OP has mentioned he'd like an artistic discussion - so let's keep the discussion there, and not let it degrade again into off topic bickering.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    visinjivisinji Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ok cleaned this one up... Opinions may be opposing, but are not debatable... and certainly not open to attack, especially on our forum. OP has mentioned he'd like an artistic discussion - so let's keep the discussion there, and not let it degrade again into off topic bickering.

Thank you!
    I was just interested in what folks had to say about the new companion so I ducked into this thread. Is he as decent as the free man-at-arms? I too would like to see the Neverember guard have a bit more flash. Especially if I'm forking over some real cash.

A quick comment on all that 'history of the shield' talk: We aren't playing in a real earth setting. It's fantasy. Folks usually come here for immersion and a bit of fun.
  • Options
    mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Perhaps they can add a preview option for all Zen items. I know other store based games have this option. In The Secret World and DDO all the gear you select is equipped on your character for preview.

Another option I would like to see is giving your companions equipment slots rather than static art.
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    there are too many homeless puppies . You should of given a puppy a forever home . This is you penance .

Puppy = best companion
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    mic281 wrote: »
    Perhaps they can add a preview option for all Zen items.

More like they need a preview option in general. For the entire game =P
  • Options
    azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mic281 wrote: »
    Perhaps they can add a preview option for all Zen items. I know other store based games have this option. In The Secret World and DDO all the gear you select is equipped on your character for preview.

Another option I would like to see is giving your companions equipment slots rather than static art.

Same thing on SWTOR - having the option to preview things is very nice, and it results in less customers that feel "cheated" if the item doesn't match the artwork/icon completely.
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I do agree that the shield should probably at least have a generic Neverwinter symbol on it or evolve to a better looking shield from the wooden buckler that it seems to be.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Thanks for this, and thanks to the others that keep this topic friendly.

In regards to the option to preview companions, and mounts for that matter, the option is there. You can see the different looks inside the shop when you click on the picture if it has a looking glass symbol on it. The problem with this companion is that it shows the character without a sword or shield, it only shows the different armor he is able to wear. Considering the fact that his 3rd armor looks quite mighty I had big hopes that the shield would be equally fitting to his strength. Sadly I was mistaken.

The main reason I bought this companion was because the man at arms could only get to lvl 15 and was (and ofc still is) still using the same cheap looking wooden shield. I expected that this would change with the higher lvl armors, but since the training tomes ain't in the game yet I decided to spend 2000 zen on this companion instead.

I don't think I am asking for much considering the fact that even the shield the guardian fighters start of with has a more fitting look. There are so many shield models already ingame that I doubt it is that much work to give the tank companions, so also the man at arms, a shield that looks the part for a DnD game.

Maybe the sword and shield are part of the model which would make it a bit more work to change, but if this would be the case I wonder why the preview shows the companion without them.

I know that this is, in regards to the complete game, a minor issue, but an issue I would like to see changed anyway. I won't rage over it, I took a chance, didn't get what I expected and feel a bit cheated, but still have hope that the shield will be changed someday. If nobody would bring this issue up, the chance of it ever getting changed would be far less.

I love the game even though it is an unfinished product and I hope people will bring up all problems they have with the game, big or small as well as all the things they love. By doing that we as players lessen the chance things get overlooked and never changed or things we love removed or changed.

What other use do forums have than to bring things to the attention of the devs, be it good or bad, big or small?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    visinji wrote: »
    Thank you!
    I was just interested in what folks had to say about the new companion so I ducked into this thread. Is he as decent as the free man-at-arms? I too would like to see the Neverember guard have a bit more flash. Especially if I'm forking over some real cash.

A quick comment on all that 'history of the shield' talk: We aren't playing in a real earth setting. It's fantasy. Folks usually come here for immersion and a bit of fun.

Other than the looks and the fact that the neverember guard can get to lvl 25 I have not noticed a big difference between them. Both seem equally able to keep aggro and both are single target tanks. I have not notice any change in survivability between them either. Once the training tomes are introduced the only difference, from what I have noticed, is the looks.
  • Options
    sejo77sejo77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    OP:Although it seems minor or more like a cosmetic problem but i do agree,the shield which matches with the armor is somehow desirable even if it's historically accurate or not in a fantasy game.I'm not a historian myself but when i play i like to see nice shiny things on my screen (a.k.a Gollum :D).Don't misunderstand me i'm not ignorant but when i play i like to relax and enjoy the outlook of my character as much as my companion's.So when my companion raises his 1 ton weight full metal shield (or wooden shield covered with metal plates if you like this version better) then i gladly fight alongside him without thinking twice:- hey man you supposedly use a forklift the raise that shield :D.It is fantasy, so give him the credit that he has strenght points equals to Hulk :).