test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tell me... is there a trick to...

prometheusenprometheusen Member Posts: 63 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The Mad Dragon? The last attempt I made was 2 clerics, 2 trickster rogues and a control wizard. By the time we got the dragon close to 2 pegs of life left, the amount of adds and AoE that was flying around was simply too overwhelming to manage. This is the only dungeon I have not managed to complete (appropriately leveled).
Post edited by prometheusen on

Comments

• Options
    panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2013
    The Mad Dragon? The last attempt I made was 2 clerics, 2 trickster rogues and a control wizard. By the time we got the dragon close to 2 pegs of life left, the amount of adds and AoE that was flying around was simply too overwhelming to manage. This is the only dungeon I have not managed to complete (appropriately leveled).

The dragons have a lot of health, a LOT of health. We have lowered their health internally and that change should go out with the major content patch mentioned in the state of the game.

That fight, like many in Neverwinter, is about add control. Take them down first prioritizing the minions and maguseseses since they go down faster, leaving someone poking the dragon and making him angry while everyone else focuses on adds and the dragon secondarily. Its pretty brutal at the moment.
  • Options
    azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    panderus wrote: »
    The dragons have a lot of health, a LOT of health. We have lowered their health internally and that change should go out with the major content patch mentioned in the state of the game.

That fight, like many in Neverwinter, is about add control. Take them down first prioritizing the minions and maguseseses since they go down faster, leaving someone poking the dragon and making him angry while everyone else focuses on adds and the dragon secondarily. Its pretty brutal at the moment.

That is awesome news, Panderus!
    As it currently stands this is the dungeon that I've given up on PUGing at the right level range because the last fight ends up in failure so often. =/
    Looking forward to the patch, and I'm glad to hear the devs are looking into problems like these! :)
    Artificer.jpg
  • Options
    chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Yes. It's simple. TR on the dragon, cleric hangs back, GWFs and GFs, if present, attack adds, with help from CW, who should also be chucking ****e at the dragon. Imps are easy and pop up alot. The Magus, however, is the issue. They ALWAYS appear at 12 and 6 o'clock. Back and forth, never the same spawn point twice in a row. Just keep on them, killing them off FAST. The main add spawns occur at 60% and 30% health for the dragon, be ready for them. That's all you need to do. The cleric will aggro the adds towards them, the rest of the party just needs to keep them dead. Take out the Magus first, ALWAYS, and then worry about the others.
  • Options
    forumninjaleaderforumninjaleader Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013

What about people like myself? i enjoy dungeons but given how mean and abusive pugs are, i like doing 5 man dungeons with myself and one other friend and while this is do-able i have heard that dungeon final bosses only get worse and worse for ADDS which means me and my friend wont be able to enjoy dungeons anymore past lvl 40?
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Brutal? Pndrs pls. My GWF did just fine with that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Now Frozen Heart boss is another story. THAT, my friends, is what you call BRUTAL.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

This is the exact strategy we attempted (hell, it's the strategy attempted every single go made). The adds management is beyond unpleasant... encounters just don't recharge fast enough to handle their swelling numbers. I consider myself fairly deft with my fingers and clever enough to know who to prioritize; of course that may be a matter of opinion, but even with me instructing the group on who to prioritize and focus on, we simply couldn't get all of them down enough (by the time Shocktroopers came out). I don't think that the dragon itself needs to be tweaked... I can't be the only person that feels as though this fight should be about fighting the dragon, not the endless swarm of nameless louts that clearly hold some affinity for the reptile.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just make the dragon harder and forget the adds? There's nothing epic about fighting maguses and imps...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    This is the exact strategy we attempted (hell, it's the strategy attempted every single go made). The adds management is beyond unpleasant... encounters just don't recharge fast enough to handle their swelling numbers. I consider myself fairly deft with my fingers and clever enough to know who to prioritize; of course that may be a matter of opinion, but even with me instructing the group on who to prioritize and focus on, we simply couldn't get all of them down enough (by the time Shocktroopers came out).

Someone needs some gear.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Someone needs some gear.

I will admit that it seems every time I do this dungeon with a PUG, there is always at least one person that is level 30 and not exactly dressed up well. Their damage is always far below our second lowest performer and it seems that their contribution is more of a detriment than an aid. This most recent attempt, that individual was cleric #2 (who also had trouble understanding the concept of healing the other cleric).

However, the fact that there is no room for even an iota of underperformance is ... unrealistic in a game where you're at times forced to work with strangers.
  • Options
    panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2013
    Brutal? Pndrs pls. My GWF did just fine with that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Now Frozen Heart boss is another story. THAT, my friends, is what you call BRUTAL.

I see your Frozen Heart and raise you Caverns of Karrundax, it's like a 30 min fight at least.
  • Options
    dtrain69dtrain69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I see your Frozen Heart and raise you Caverns of Karrundax, it's like a 30 min fight at least.

Fold.

/10char
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013

I agree.. Epic Hrmnir is one nasty SOB and due to the ice on the ground you cannot clearly see his AOE areas (the red aoe target area cannot be seen clearly). In the epic version his "meteor" attack can pretty much one shot you. Not to mention he loves to summon a bazillion mobs and those nasty nasty annoying little archer buggers.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited June 2013

The only way to do Epic Caverns of Karrundax is to cheap it by double stacking Astral Shielding. There's just no sane way to deal with all the adds that spawns.

Edit: Correction the only sane way to deal with all T2 epic dungeon is to double stack Astral Shielding for semi-god mode. That's why T2 epic dungeons is pretty broken.
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Nah i disagree... Epic mad dragon is harder than Karrundax, frozen heart and pirate king and on par with post tweak spider boss... the fact is the t1 level requirement is kind of a joke...

The dungeons are not that hard, i olnly failed till now to defeat Epic dread vault (got kicked after boss kill once and wiped twice at less than 2% life) Mad dragon (tried at least 30 times, with all kind of groups, the last wave at 30% life with the shocktroopers and erinyes is ridiculous and the people pugs on low gear scores because is t1, i'm 13k btw) and CN because nobody wants GF in CN...

I like the challenge... really enjoy difficulty, its rewarding, but i enjoy difficulty that must be overcome by strategy and thinking, and as someone said... you guys spoiled the fun of fighting a dragon! give him more life, make his attacks 1 hitting, allow them to eat players whole with a bite but not swarm us with spawn that we already killed a million before!
  • Options
    jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The only way to do Epic Caverns of Karrundax is to cheap it by double stacking Astral Shielding. There's just no sane way to deal with all the adds that spawns.

Edit: Correction the only sane way to deal with all T2 epic dungeon is to double stack Astral Shielding for semi-god mode. That's why T2 epic dungeons is pretty broken.

I agree. Ran with a pug the other night. Two stacked shield, right beside the boss. Thrown out, run back in. Moved for nothing else.
    I think Mad Dragon fight is a lot of fun. Except, we have the gf tanking the dragon, gwf and rogue back and forth on the maguses, hitting imps along the way, wizard ccing the other magus. Then I hit hallowed ground, hit the boss, back to adds. I throw a healing word to the tank sometimes, and astral seal everywhere. Fun fight.

If more of the epic boss fights were actually epic like that, I'd be a lot happier. As it is now, two clerics, two wizards, and a rogue is the only way to win much of the time.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • Options
    pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I hope you guys are also adjusting the million HP points that the boss in Assault the Keep (I believe that's the one... 20ish skirmish.. pirate boss) has as well? It's an extremely easy fight but unless you have 3 rogues it lasts for like 15 minutes all by itself. It's not challenging, just extremely tedious atm.
  • Options
    jipatsujipatsu Member Posts: 94
    edited June 2013
    I also hope that the adjustments does not just stop on the boss health pools, but on the add spawn counter too.
  • Options
    tomasvettomasvet Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Frozen Heart is actually hard because you need to move and dodge things, The Karrundax fight is about 6-7 minutes with only a rouge attacking the boss and everyone else standing completely still in the double astral shields... obviously you have the option to put more than one rogue on the boss aslong as you stand in the double astral shields.

As a matter of fact that was the tactic for all the bosses in Karrundax, and the other dungeons aswell...

Additionally the Magus on the Mad Dragon doesn't spawn indefinately, they wont spawn if two are already up.
  • Options
    eternalighteternalight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I was actually able to do epic karrundax with 1 cleric (me), 1 Guardian Fighter, 2 Rogues, 1 Control Wizard.

The trick was to have 1 rogue DPS the boss the whole time, while the Cleric laid down divine astral shield to the side and everyone else fought inside it. CW would singularity everything together and rinse/repeat. It took us about 15-20 minutes to do. And I only had 8404 GS on my cleric at the time we did karrundax.
  • Options
    thecrimsonrozethecrimsonroze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    frarii wrote: »
    Nah i disagree... Epic mad dragon is harder than Karrundax, frozen heart and pirate king and on par with post tweak spider boss... the fact is the t1 level requirement is kind of a joke...

The dungeons are not that hard, i olnly failed till now to defeat Epic dread vault (got kicked after boss kill once and wiped twice at less than 2% life) Mad dragon (tried at least 30 times, with all kind of groups, the last wave at 30% life with the shocktroopers and erinyes is ridiculous and the people pugs on low gear scores because is t1, i'm 13k btw) and CN because nobody wants GF in CN...

I like the challenge... really enjoy difficulty, its rewarding, but i enjoy difficulty that must be overcome by strategy and thinking, and as someone said... you guys spoiled the fun of fighting a dragon! give him more life, make his attacks 1 hitting, allow them to eat players whole with a bite but not swarm us with spawn that we already killed a million before!

Or add a dungeon with a red dragon that breathes fire instead of poison, that slaps people with the tail so they fly mid-air and whenever he uses his firebreath, increase the room temperature and make a global damage over time that just grows stronger. It would be a question of killing it fast enough, or finding a way to cool down the room by hitting cracks in the walls where there is water or something.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013

Non-Epic version took me 45 minutes to kill that Karrundax.
    I think that was one of the few times I ever did a victory roar for a game. Honestly it wasn't overly hard with two clerics with two Blue Shields of Never Dieing keeping each other alive but it was a gut wrenching experience requiring full focus by all team members. Every single one of us fell during the fight at least once.

Good to see the Mad Dragon is getting some lowered HP though. Although Karrundax was a much longer fight he was a far easier fight IMO (And please don't make it harder!)

Speaking of long boss fights though...
    Are there any plans to put actual "estimated" gameplay on the queues. All dungeons state 45 minutes of gameplay but obviously that's not true past cloak tower. Haha!
  • Options
    zzzzzdankzzzzzdank Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Meh all these people saying 2 DC and other certain class comps are the only ways to win these fights are beyond wrong. We have done them all easily with me being a GF 1 DC 1 Wiz as the regulars I run with and the other 2 we fill with any class it doesn't even matter what. We have also done all of them with NO rogue btw at least once.

Out of the 3 Mad Dragon, Frozen Heart, Karrundax - We found Mad Dragon to be the easiest, in fact at the end the first time we were saying "um I thought this was supposed to be hard", though the PUG Rogue we had said most groups don't normally do it so well. The only real trick here was to target the healer adds first.

Karrundax, the biggest thing for us was to target the Wyrmlings first as soon as they spawned and to make sure we all focused fired one of them at a time. Also, our Rogue on the boss was directed to aim the boss away from the group so we didn't have to deal with it's 1 shot breath AOE. As a GF in this fight I slot enforced threat and Bull Charge and Frontline Surge so I can keep the pressure off our Cleric better while we deal with the Wyrmlings.

Frozen Heart is the hardest imo. This one is a pain because it's just impossible to kill the adds. Several Golems at once is a very dangerous thing and all the adds (except archers) have a ton of HP and use lots of CC. The only real way we manage to finish this without doing some stupid perching of the Cleric. Is for the Cleric to kite the big adds around while someone runs around killing archers.

The last time we did Frozen Heart we had 2 rogues, 1 wiz, 1 DC , me(GF) and it was the hardest run we've done. The Rogues failed on the boss because one of them had graphics glitch where the ground was black and he couldn't see the small circles from the boss AOE. The other Rogue just wasn't very good at dodging them. We ended up having me (GF) tank the boss with the one Rogue without the graphics glitch (who died twice halfway through and couldn't be ressed). The other Rogue worked on archers near the DC while the CW both targeted archers and helped me with the boss a bit.

One major thing with this boss is to have whoever is tanking it keep him turned away from the rest of the party. That way his aoe's aren't a danger to them. If your Rogue or whoever is tanking the boss has issues with the aoe that has tons of little circles. Tell them not to try dodging it, but to just take a couple steps into a spot without a circle. This aoe is literally ridiculously easy to just walk away from with only 1-3 steps of movement. (you can even be partially standing in the little circles and not get hit). He also telegraphs the move before hand with his arms/hands so you make sure not to be stuck in a long animation skill when it hits because you do have to react quickly once the circles show up.

The biggest thing I want to get across here is you can do these with any party composition. As long as you have 1 DC and 1 CW you are golden for the most part. Yes we have done all of them with GWF's and even double GF's..
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    ground was black and he couldn't see the small circles from the boss AOE

I had that tonight...problem is I'm the cleric.
    I couldn't dodge anything. No dodging leads to no healing. No healing leads to no survivors. No survivors leads to...suffering.

We quit out. Changing shadows and lighting to low quality and then high quality improved the floor but it was still seemed off, almost like there was 3 layers of warning lights and it just messed me up hard.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I had that tonight...problem is I'm the cleric.
    I couldn't dodge anything. No dodging leads to no healing. No healing leads to no survivors. No survivors leads to...suffering.

We quit out. Changing shadows and lighting to low quality and then high quality improved the floor but it was still seemed off, almost like there was 3 layers of warning lights and it just messed me up hard.

Yes after we finish I stuck around with him to try and figure out his issue. He said turning down lightning made it look normal (he was running max settings previously). Though what he thought "looked normal" is could still be wrong as he had never been there before.
  • Options
    nevfenevfe Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    For all the heroes on here saying "I did it with such and such it's easy-peasy, l2p" (or words to that effect) I think the point is that levelling dungeons should be pug friendly since you're just "passing through" as it were. Given how fast levelling is in this game, to expect organised and co-ordinated groups is asking too much.

End game is a different matter and it's right that content here provides an appropriate challenge.
  • Options
    forumninjaleaderforumninjaleader Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Um, dungeons are 5-man content. If you can do them with less, great. If you can't, you have nothing to complain or whine about. Simple.

Where do you see whining? yes i'm worried about balance for the later dungeons, and i can't 5 man with pugs because of the current issue of the party leader purposely kicking people from the party the instant the boss is almost dead to claim the loot for himself, and not everyone has 5 solid friends who also love playing mmo's you know.
  • Options
    viciousjediviciousjedi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Honestly .. this is the most posts I have seen.. from .. Cryptic studio members in one thread.. that has been pretty cool.
    WE need them posting more often!

..and any idea on a timeframe for this module 1?
    Old School gamer, reviewer of mmos and slayer of dragons.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nevfe wrote: »
    For all the heroes on here saying "I did it with such and such it's easy-peasy, l2p" (or words to that effect) I think the point is that levelling dungeons should be pug friendly since you're just "passing through" as it were. Given how fast levelling is in this game, to expect organised and co-ordinated groups is asking too much.

End game is a different matter and it's right that content here provides an appropriate challenge.

My post was in response to, and about - Epic versions of them. I have no opinion on the normal while leveling ones because I didn't do them.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Or add a dungeon with a red dragon that breathes fire instead of poison, that slaps people with the tail so they fly mid-air and whenever he uses his firebreath, increase the room temperature and make a global damage over time that just grows stronger. It would be a question of killing it fast enough, or finding a way to cool down the room by hitting cracks in the walls where there is water or something.

..with little caves to the side, with dragon eggs that hatch when someone strays/falls in, maybe?

Ahem.

"More DoTs!"
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Where do you see whining? yes i'm worried about balance for the later dungeons, and i can't 5 man with pugs because of the current issue of the party leader purposely kicking people from the party the instant the boss is almost dead to claim the loot for himself, and not everyone has 5 solid friends who also love playing mmo's you know.

All the friends I have that I run dungeons with every day(and I have a lot now), I met in game WHILE pugging. And I play a GF the so called unwanted class.
  • Options
    noosednoosed Member Posts: 247 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013

dafuq.....