test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crafting Balance is COMPLETELY out of whack!

dndjessdndjess Member Posts: 47
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Some of this is really hard to excuse, because it's so BLINDINGLY obvious! Case in point:

Two Leadership Lvl 2 tasks:
Guard Duty: 2 hours. Reward: 40 Leadership Exp, 150 Exp, 1 Silver
Martial Training: 4 hours. Reward: 80 Leadership Exp.

So in the same amount of time (4 hours), I can do:
Martial Training once for 80 leadership exp, or
Guard Duty twice for 80 leadership exp, 300 exp and 2 silver.
So who in their right mind would ever do Martial Training? That is really inexcusable. Either you guys didn't put the slightest consideration into balancing these, or you're really, really bad at simple math.

Leveling other crafts is just as ludicrous - the lowest level shirt/chest piece is always the most efficient leveling method, by far.

And my biggest issue - why does crafting always have to be a boring time-waster? Make it an actual mini-game that could actually be (yes, this is a bizarre concept for a game) FUN! I don't give the new Final Fantasy MMORPG credit for much, but at least they tried to do something new and fun with crafting.
Post edited by dndjess on

Comments

• Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dndjess wrote: »
    So who in their right mind would ever do Martial Training?

Someone who can't be at their computer every two hours.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »

You don't have to be at your computer - there's an app for that.

And it doesn't change the fact that one task is clearly more profitable and beneficial than the other. And can you give a valid reason why Martial Training shouldn't also have additional rewards besides just exp? It's a p*** poor job of balancing. You can try to rationalize it if you want, but it's just plain bad.
  • Options
    poac1poac1 Member Posts: 88
    edited May 2013
    Some of this is really hard to excuse, because it's so BLINDINGLY obvious! Case in point:

Two Leadership Lvl 2 tasks:
    Guard Duty: 2 hours. Reward: 40 Leadership Exp, 150 Exp, 1 Silver
    Martial Training: 4 hours. Reward: 80 Leadership Exp.

So in the same amount of time (4 hours), I can do:
    Martial Training once for 80 leadership exp, or
    Guard Duty twice for 80 leadership exp, 300 exp and 2 silver.
    So who in their right mind would ever do Martial Training? That is really inexcusable. Either you guys didn't put the slightest consideration into balancing these, or you're really, really bad at simple math.

Leveling other crafts is just as ludicrous - the lowest level shirt/chest piece is always the most efficient leveling method, by far.

And my biggest issue - why does crafting always have to be a boring time-waster? Make it an actual mini-game that could actually be (yes, this is a bizarre concept for a game) FUN! I don't give the new Final Fantasy MMORPG credit for much, but at least they tried to do something new and fun with crafting.

I dunno, I don't mind it simply because I do on-call work, which means if they call me to leave for certain jobs I know I'll be gone 8 or 12 or 16 hours, so sometimes the longer slightly less options are still better then only one of the shorter ones.

I suppose if I was sitting here never moving, sure...it's not completely logical, but why whine when you can just min/max?
  • Options
    nojo2211nojo2211 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    Well you will find almost all of the longer tasks have lower rewards per time. Its designed to reward those that are attentive. Working as intended I believe.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    The funny thing is you need to craft a rank 16 item to make a rank 15 one. LOL
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The thing you guys seem to fail to realize is that the people who balanced crafting are likely the same people who balance the character classes. Nothing about this game comes even close to balanced, and crafting is a very obvious example.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The thing you guys seem to fail to realize is that the people who balanced crafting are likely the same people who balance the character classes. Nothing about this game comes even close to balanced, and crafting is a very obvious example.

Ah, I see, now the real reason.

Crafting is balanced fine. You get more rewards if you're willing to push the button every five minutes.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    fordrainefordraine Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I find no problem with the longer tasks. I start an 8-hour task in the morning, go to work, come home, task complete. So what if I lose out on 3 silver and a paltry amount of exp? The game's allowing me to log off for up to 18 hours, and craft at the same time. I love it. Sure there are benefits for people who play all day, but as someone with a full-time job and other interests, the setup works great for me.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    Ah, I see, now the real reason.

Crafting is balanced fine. You get more rewards if you're willing to push the button every five minutes.

Sounds like Farmville.
  • Options
    cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm at the other end of the spectrum - I hate crafting. A "mini-game" is just something to distract me from the actual game. I don't need that. Therefore, I generally like this system. I *do* wish that at least some of the longer tasks (rares, especially) had better rewards, but overall - I really like this. I can still make half-decent gear, I don't have to grind for a rare recipe, and I can do it (albeit slowly) from my phone.
  • Options
    zedmuszedmus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

And it doesn't change the fact that one task is clearly more profitable and beneficial than the other. And can you give a valid reason why Martial Training shouldn't also have additional rewards besides just exp? It's a p*** poor job of balancing. You can try to rationalize it if you want, but it's just plain bad.

I personally used martial training the most when leveling leadership. Its not imbalanced its called them giving choices for those that do not have the time in the day to que stuff regularly. Simple solution don't use that option for yourself. /thread
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sometimes its better to grind lower level task that has a faster returns.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013

And there are still plenty of people who can't be at their computer/browser/app every two hours.
  • Options
    mennelonmennelon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    I'd certainly choose the 4 hour task for 80 crafting xp to help me avoid outlevelling all the skirmishes and dungeons while I'm levelling, and at 60 I'd take whatever inconveniences me the least.
  • Options
    ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Apps work fine, unless you work a job where you actually have to WORK and you can't be on your phone all the time...
  • Options
    psiwuffpsiwuff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From what I've seen, it really is out of whack. I can get behind longer tasks having less benefit than running several shorter ones, but this just feels a bit much.
    Furthermore, I found that "Explore Local Area" with one hour is the best way to grind up leadership. 40 exp plus bonus stuff in one hour is pretty good.

Speaking of. Does anyone else feel that the tailoring/etc professions are utterly pointless and impossible to keep up with your character level?
  • Options
    grndmastergrndmaster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    psiwuff wrote: »
    From what I've seen, it really is out of whack. I can get behind longer tasks having less benefit than running several shorter ones, but this just feels a bit much.
    Furthermore, I found that "Explore Local Area" with one hour is the best way to grind up leadership. 40 exp plus bonus stuff in one hour is pretty good.

Speaking of. Does anyone else feel that the tailoring/etc professions are utterly pointless and impossible to keep up with your character level?

The thing you arent thinking about is what else the other tasks give, for instance protect caravan is half the crafting xp since its 40/2hr but it also gives AD. lots of people level up alts to 11 just so they can invoke and do protect caravan for the extra AD, its not a lot but it does add up. Theres also a couple tasks that give quite a bit of silver, which could be great for the player that only does dungeons and needs pots/injury kits.

As to the disparity between tasks, I'd agree somewhat that SOME of them are a bit off. I think its fine that a 1-2hr task gives a better reward than a 6-8hr task. The player consistently updating their crafting that often deserves more than the guy that only has to update 2 or 3 times all day. A good example is the mass resource crafting for the non leadership professions, its 6-8hrs long and only gives the resources of like 4 regular resource crafting, but when a player is going to bed and gets to pick ONE task to do overnight, whats the better choice? when they wake up they'll either have 2 resources or 8 resources. The only ones I have much of a problem with are the rare tasks with super long cd's (12-16hr from what i remember) that only give just slightly higher rewards than a 2hr task, because with them being rare, they arent always available so you wont always have a good option when you are logging off for a long period of time, you have whatever rares the game decides to give you.

As to the other crafting professions, personally the only good things i've seen are the lvl 60 crafted shirt/pants that you cant get anywhere else, and to make the rank 3 versions of those you need atleast 1 set of purple tools, 4 purple tools for a decent 60% chance. Unless you plan to make dozens of em, its WAY cheaper to just buy the shirt/pants and not have to bother with getting crafting to 20 and buying that many purple tools.
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I think what he means is that in four hours you can come back and find that the two hour reward is STILL better than that 4 hour reward and there is no way to make that not true.

Do they not make math teachers anymore?
  • Options
    seneca671seneca671 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mennelon wrote: »
    I'd certainly choose the 4 hour task for 80 crafting xp to help me avoid outlevelling all the skirmishes and dungeons while I'm levelling, and at 60 I'd take whatever inconveniences me the least.

This is a big deal for me, too. As a casual player, I have mules to do my invoking for me once/day so I don't outlevel the PVE content. I don't want experience from leadership (or I try to minimize it) and can only check in a few times a day, anyway. Things like Martial Training are perfect for me.
  • Options
    adjuchasbrokkadjuchasbrokk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Some people have to work for a living doing a job that requires that they pay attention and not mess around with their mobile devices, also, it's useful for the last job of the evening before you go to sleep.

If there is a crafting method that works better for you then by all means use it :P
    [Foundry Projects]
    The Sunken Castle
    - NW-DEO4EA5XG -
    - A story driven dungeon crawl! -
  • Options
    dartakxdartakx Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nornsavant wrote: »
    I think what he means is that in four hours you can come back and find that the two hour reward is STILL better than that 4 hour reward and there is no way to make that not true.

Do they not make math teachers anymore?

Well just to make sure, does 80 xp is greater than 40 xp or my math sucks?

Great there's an app, but it happens i have to sleep for a period longer than 2 hours, i know i'm lazy, don't laugh at me. It happens that i'm working too (actually 5 days a week, strangely enough) and i can't watch my mobile at every hour or so, my boss is a monster he wants me to work while at my the job instead of letting me levelling my Leadership profession.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    adjuchasbrokkadjuchasbrokk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dartakx wrote: »
    Well just to make sure, does 80 xp is greater than 40 xp or my math sucks?

Great there's an app, but it happens i have to sleep for a period longer than 2 hours, i know i'm lazy, don't laugh at me. It happens that i'm working too (actually 5 days a week, strangely enough) and i can't watch my mobile at every hour or so, my boss is a monster he wants me to work while at my the job instead of letting me levelling my Leadership profession.

I know, right? sheesh, some people just ask too much. :P
    [Foundry Projects]
    The Sunken Castle
    - NW-DEO4EA5XG -
    - A story driven dungeon crawl! -
  • Options
    saucyshortcakesaucyshortcake Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    Your exp/hour for leadership never really increases at all. Chart Region and Explore Local Area are 40/hr and I think they're the highest ones. Too bad you can only do 3 of each at a time.

Side note, is it a bug that Chart Region gives a Bill of Sale as a reward? You think it'd be a District Map instead.
  • Options
    clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If all you are doing crafting for is leveling then do the math and grab the best XP/time mix or the best time/AD mix. However, for the tasks that seem "out of balance", they normally give you something required for higher level or rare tasks. I tend to do those when I know I'll be AFK/logged off for a while. It's about planning and what you are crafting for.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Here's an even better example:

Task 1 - 6 hours - 3 silver, 40 leadership xp
    Task 2 - 2 hours - 1 silver, 40 leadership xp, 200 astral diamonds, 75 exp

Now try and tell me that's not seriously messed up...
  • Options
    joewoodcutter1joewoodcutter1 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013

At level 60 is where the zen/AD sink is at. The sooner you hit 60 the bigger the chance you start buying something. Its just marketing.
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I'm not in the habit of setting my alarm to wake me up every 2 hours during the night so I can log on Gateway and refresh my leadership tasks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    titanv2titanv2 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    things are "bad" in this game cuz it's just a "bad" game so far. If PWE and Cryptic overhaul this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> of a game, then it may be more comparable to another, more successful game, but until then this is a... how do i put it B grade game. (like a B grade movie)
  • Options
    stealseriesstealseries Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is potentially one of the stupidest posts I've ever read...

We don't all intend on downloading an app and grinding professions all day. Some of us play once a day and will simply pick whichever task works best with our schedule
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013

What level are they? Because Protect Caravan is lv4. (Me, when I want to put up a 6 hour project, I do Battle Undead. But that's a lv11.)