test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you have a problem with the current community policing? (24h Mute)

1235»

Comments

• gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    LFG spam is just as bad.

LF EPIC KARR NEED 2 DC
    LF EPIC KARR NEED 2 DC
    LF EPIC KARR NEED 2 DC
    LF EPIC KARR NEED 2 DC

Zone chat is always going to be spammy because there's only one place with a bank, mailbox, auction house and crafting vendors.

Then people are always going to get spam-banned and then get all butt-hurt about it.
  • mkesdmkesd Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bel1eveee wrote: »
    STEP 1. FIND SOMEONE YOU HATE ON FORUMS
    STEP 2. LOGIN ON MULTIPLE SHARDS AND ADVERTISE PLAYERS @HANDLE SAYING HE NINJAED OR KILLED A KITTEN AND ASK PEOPLE TO REPORT HIM FOR SPAM.
    STEP 3. HE GETS SILENCED
    STEP 4. VOTE THAT THE SYSTEM IS STABLE AND UNEXPLOITABLE

anyone who doesn't have a problem with this is a complete moron like the thread starter.

I usually mark these persons as spam, that post such things in the chat. Because this is abuse of the spam/ignore system.
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mkesd wrote: »
    I usually mark these persons as spam, that post such things in the chat. Because this is abuse of the spam/ignore system.

Good idea.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Then people are always going to get spam-banned and then get all butt-hurt about it.

Zone chat was spammy even when there wasn't any trade or lfg spam yet.

mkesd wrote: »

Well, in some cases two wrongs do make a right.
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    Zone chat was spammy even when there wasn't any trade or lfg spam yet.

True. i know i'm pretty old but I read some of the chat with amazement and think - 'you're actually parading to the whole game that you are a semi-literate bridge-dweller as if it's something to be proud of? What are you -12?'

Then I realise that yes, one way or another that is exactly what they are. Uncivilised little savages acting out for their little peer groups of similarly uncivilised little savages. If the NW population is a zoo it's no wonder PWE treat us like animals. You can't reason with animals, you can't appeal to their better natures. All you can do is reward and punish and that's why the chat ban has to be so draconian. IMHO it's not draconian enough but if it were any more so I'd expect PWE to invest in resources to check the validity of allegations.
    edited May 2013
    golbleen wrote: »
    It's clear just from a brief look in the thread that not everyone agrees what acceptable behavior is. No one ever will; really.

There's an ignore feature in the game. I, the player, can police on my own who I do or don't want to hear according to my own values with this feature - other players can do the same. There is merit to a system to allow players to police each other for particularly egrerious issues, I think, but if it has unintended, abusable side-effects, then those need to be thoroughly culled from the system before it's released, and if doing that is too costly, then it shouldn't be released at all.

As I said before, ignore is all I need, to get rid of these spammers in MY zone chat. If the ignore function does more than just ignoring them, This is not my problem at all.

I will ignore these players without common sense for my OWN sake. The system has to be fixed, yes. But from my point of view, it does, what I need, to get my silence.

I won't even consider playing a MMO, where I cannot ignore players.

If I get muted, who cares? I usually use TS for playing.

The ONLY thing I use zone chat for, is helping other players who have questions about the game, that I can answer.
  • traciatim1traciatim1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    You make a poll, and put your bias opinion in the first post. Without making it clear how the system works.

Not to mention this "I should have the right to spam people in zone to sell something." Which isn't even the argument. Stop being so dense.

It's NOT about zone ban it's about banning their chat entirely, including guild, party, and whispers. You obviously aren't getting it.

If you're making a fair poll don't be so bias about it. Holy ****.

Maybe you should stop abusing the chat system so you stop getting removed from the chat system.
    edited May 2013
    This is a small complaint and somewhat irrelevant in my opinion. Major cities is the MOST LOGICAL PLACE TO BARTER AND TRADE

Oh, Yes. Sure.

They have a marketplace for this, you know. So that the traders can trade their goods in the marketplace. If they trade their goods outside of this place, they will be arrested.

For loitering. And disturbing the peace. :D

So even in cities they don't let traders roam freely through the street with their wares, shouting out loud , in the residence areas. You can't trust traders, can you?
  • keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    coggage wrote: »
    We're big boys and girls, my friend, so we can take a little humorous hyperbole for what it is - we know what the salient points are and vote accordingly.

A punishment isn't a punishment unless it hurts. The fact that spammers are squealing in outrage shows the system is working as intended. In the immortal words of Sheriff Arpaio ""You have been convicted. You're doing your time. Do your time and shut your mouth and do what you have to do." :D

+1
    travail01 wrote: »
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I live in a country where it's not alright to let innocent people suffer under a law, just because that law happens to also put some guilty parties in jail, too. There are people getting ignored/spam reported en masse, just for posting a single trade message in the general chat, and that's not ok. There are people being spam reported en masse by mistake, due to mis-clicks in the chat window, and that's not ok, either.

Not to mention this "law" is in the hands of a mob of random people. Again, not how my country works.

I'm just saying, maybe those of you who are arguing in favor of the status quo should stop and really think about what you are arguing for. In principle, this whole thing is wrong on multiple levels.

-Travail.

*laughs* What country do you live in? Laws get exploited every day, worldwide.

We could have King Neverwhatever issue peddler's permits! :) You can only shout your wares in the market squares!

Again, I know not everyone can see it, but if I posted it more often perhaps more people will: I believe there should be a change to the system, specifically so that it cannot be exploited. If you cannot see the person spamming an area, and click on their name in a chat window, it shouldn't have a demerit. Simply ignoring someone from another zone should not count as a demerit.

The rest of the system works as intended. It's a shame it's not easier to implement the above change, but I imagine both methods invoke the same function call, so distinguishing between them would be difficult for Cryptic. :(
  • gottneverwintergottneverwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    xiolin wrote: »
    The point is that is abusable. I also talk on the zone chat (never tried to sell anything yet) and haven't been muted. But I think someone said that if around 20 people report you, then you can be muted. The problem here is that there are people who has 20+ alt accounts they use to mute whoever they dont like. It's not just due to spamming or talking in zone only. Some even do it for fun.

Yeah, some little tool just did it to me. Was whining about it in zone on a new account @Ireportu

I suspect it's possible to report them for spam, unignore, report, rinse, repeat.

The system needs to be tweaked, but it's a good thing, in my opinion.

Just because little punks like this can/will abuse it, doesn't mean it's not worth using.
  • vaelyrvaelyr Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, some little tool just did it to me. Was whining about it in zone on a new account @Ireportu

I suspect it's possible to report them for spam, unignore, report, rinse, repeat.

The system needs to be tweaked, but it's a good thing, in my opinion.

Just because little punks like this can/will abuse it, doesn't mean it's not worth using.

The guy that got you muted is using autohotkey and 21 instances of nevertwinter to mute people.

http://i.imgur.com/0Ini0u1.jpg
  • imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, I voted "other" because I know from Cryptic's other games that there are groups of players who abuse this system to mute enemies and even strangers (such as RPers and winning costume contestants). They're doing it specifically to grief, it's been a cause for concern even in CO, a much smaller game than STO or NW; so I only expect this behavior to skyrocket in Neverwinter. Like others have opined, this gives sheriff's badges to 12 year-olds (whether physically or mentally :p). Bear in mind, I've never been muted, and I don't use zone chat. I do, however, feel sympathy for many of the players who not only have been victimized, but who have been blamed for their own victimization by their peers.

But the poll results are in, and my position on the matter is in the minority.

So be it. The community has spoken. And I accept that this system--and all of the above--is here to stay.
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion